Why Many Players Not Giving GG

+
Fjormarr;n9816621GGing is a silent agreement between players in order to have a minimum profit. 90% (if not more) of players click on gg automatically.[... said:
CDPR could (and should) easily change the "Good Game" phrase to a "Give Gold". It would be more honest that way.

Would definitely be more accurate, I'm only interested in if I happen to get ore when the I get the GG. I don't GG if I am clearly going to lose, I pass, and the enemy continues to play their long combos. I've recently started forfeiting if they continue to play a long combos, followed by not GGing, but they probably just feel that I forfeit and don't GG because I am butthurt that I lost by such a wide margin. This has nothing to do with the game being good or not.

They should allow us a toggle off the GG popup, and I agree that they should change it to "give gold" or "give reward" so that we can end these threads and the confusion.

I care because I have been using the GG phrase since 1997, and I never imagined it used in this way. It's kind of like bowing before engaging in PVP in dark souls, if a reward is attached to it, it perverts the intended effect of bowing in the first place.

Last edited:
gigabomb;n9820441 said:
I care because I have been using the GG phrase since 1997, and I never imagined it used in this way. It's kind of like bowing before engaging in PVP in dark souls, if a reward is attached to it, it perverts the intended effect of bowing in the first place.

This.

Honestly, I think they should just remove this feature altogether. If you want to tell your opponent that it was a good game, just use the "well played" emote. A "GG" isn't sincere when there are rewards involved.

idomyownstunts;n9815611 said:
Hi, my name is Henry Grosmont and I don't gg. All hate mail to HenryGrosmont.
He does his own stunts... then I get all the hate mail.

Riven-Twain;n9819341 said:
Officers, arrest this man: He's an imposter!
Now, what have you done with the real Grosmont?
I'm right here, answering all the mail. In the words of the great (and crazy) American philosopher Mike Patton:
- It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it

HenryGrosmont;n9822721 said:
I'm right here, answering all the mail.
Nice to see you've survived.

And now, on the topic of GG rewards: Personally, I give these when the game was, in my opinion, entertaining: If the final score was numerically very close, for example; or if I felt the other player performed a clever or innovative manoeuvre, without relying too heavily on one particular strategy. If my opponent sends a GG, I usually, but not invariably, reciprocate. (I also give a GG if I actually win, which hasn't always been particularly often.) The conditions can vary from match to match, and may be influenced by different factors. But the basic question remains the same: 'Was this game fun?'

Whether a game is 'good' or not is entirely up to the individuals playing it. It is a subjective evaluation, a personal choice, based on whether someone enjoyed the game. If people indeed enjoy the game, then they can send their opponents a reward. If they didn't, or don't feel their opponents merit a reward, then there is no compulsion, nor obligation to send it. That's how I've always seen it. It's a matter of preference, rather than a fixed rule, or an expectation.

Does the GG system foster friendly interactions? As this thread and others like it attest, apparently, not exactly, since the topic continues to be a point of contention.

Should we thank others for playing with us, for sharing a few minutes of entertainment, and participating in Gwent? Ideally, yes. (Although, in such a highly competitive game, where the opponents are largely anonymous, this friendly courtesy can be difficult to keep in mind.)

Is a reward necessary? It depends.

I never GG unless the match is actually fair. I'm finding that I'm being constantly matched against players who highly outrank me, out level me, ect.
In fact what I find I'm doing now, mostly out of spite (it's not fun anymore) I just lose on purpose (not foreitting, that shouldn't be an option anyways). If I just pass and pass and pass until I finally get a match that is worth playing I'll do it. otherwise, until I get a match I know I can win, nobody will have any fun.

i don't care if i get GG or not. however, i will only GG if i enjoyed the match. but if someone was a ^&#$% (taunts, playing after i concede, etc) during the match, i probably didn't enjoy it and thus won't GG.

and my not giving a GG is the only way i can tell someone, "you were a ^&#$%"

Last edited:
Personally, I don't take into account the reward aspect when deciding whether to click the GG button. For me it means exactly what it says: if I found the match good or fun, I'll send a GG. If not, then no GG. Doesn't matter whether the match is a victory, defeat or draw.

Reasons why I don't find a match good include, but are not limited to: emote spam, deck types I really hate playing against and roping on every. single. turn.

Sometimes it's hard to decide whether I enjoyed a match - like today when my opponent forfeited at early R2 after losing a short R1. In these cases I tend to send the GG.

I always GG unless they spam emotes, or unless they start emoting before their last card when they believe they won. Because they don’t have the balls to emote at the beginning and try to back it up, only at the end by being a sore winner.

Some of the sweetest wins are when they pull the last card emote when ahead in R3 but I have a huge scorch or bekkers to win, then I don’t send the GG anyways. Those are the best kind of wins.

but yeah, if your going to spam emotes at last card make sure you actually won the game first.

Best victories when you're like 80 points down in 3rd round, but up two card advantage and you steal a 35 point minion with succubus after they've already started throwing their taunts. :) but yeah that's usually when I don't receive a good game but yeah always gg, unless I misclick or scorch my own minion or something dum then it's no gg, I already have given my freebies away with my surrender and that sweet mmr they probably didn't deserve.

I've never played against a emote spamer so I always GG. Even if the opponent is playing with a OP deck, I GG because I'm so used so do it that it comes automaticly ^^
However, sometimes when the opponent forfaid, I don't have the GG button =/

DoubleDealer;n9820481 said:
Honestly, I think they should just remove this feature altogether. If you want to tell your opponent that it was a good game, just use the "well played" emote. A "GG" isn't sincere when there are rewards involved.

The well played emote won't do because the lines usually refer to a specific move you opponent did, not to the entire game. Not to mention that it can be easily used sarcastically. For instance, Imlerith's "Who taught you to play like this ?", it's too sarcastic. Only an in-game chat would solve the "issue" but for Gwent it would bee too risky - while the community is not the worse, it's not the best either.
Even though the "gg" has lost it's meaning, I don't see it leaving. It does no harm.

I understand that GG is connected to getting Ore or Scraps. But I don't think about those things whenever I decide to give a GG or not. I gg everytime I win, as consolation to the other guy. I also gg if I lost by a small margin or if I enjoyed a game or got to see something new or surprising. The genuineness of giving a gg depends on you (the player) and not whether rewards are attached or not, especially since those rewards are minimal. I find it quite odd that this is such a big issue with a lot of other people, to the point of asking for it to be removed (kinda like those people that argue "Don't wear sexy clothing, otherwise I'm gonna have to *ape you).

I agree with all who would like it removed. It’s just an unnecessary hassle, and sometimes the option isn’t even there.

Give the loser some pity points instead, automatically. The winner gets the extra round victory toward the keg, let the loser have the 5 random values associated with the GG feature as a reward for putting their time in.

Because not everyone has time for all the petty crap. Sometimes you’re playing for a limited amount of time and just want to cycle through to get the keg. This is why I too forfeit out when some fool doesn’t take the hint when I pass and hand them a win, and they want to play all their cards anyway. If they pass as soon as they’ve secured the win, I GG if the option is there. If I win I GG if the option is there, whether they do or not. For their time, but I’d prefer that be automatic.

I also have muted the voice feature in the game settings, simply because I want to focus on the cards and strategy. If my opponent starts spamming any taunts, I use the in game mute feature. I never use the taunt wheel for anything else.

I am more and more intrigued by the GG = "Give Gold" idea. Thematically, I think it fits! Either I offer you gold as a reward...or I arrogantly hurl gold on the ground in front of you...

There is some character potential in this idea! Having the leader you played appear on the screen, extending a small pouch of gold...a political grin smeared across their face so that it's unclear what their intentions actually are...

Gotta remember to have fun with this universe!

Well, I've started playing again since the very first beta, and I've already stopped giving "GG" to skellige, nilfgard spies and people that BM with emotions.

Ashmail

SK is nowhere near the annoyance they were the previous patch(es). NG Spies I can kinda understand the frustration, sometimes I want to reach and choke that bastard from the other side as well, but my general disdain is usually with the flavor of the day (lately it's the new Swim's Spell'A'Tael) or Mill - even if it is a good game. I don't like to encourage those shites.

Lately if I have won against certain decks, I wait a bit to see if I'll get a GG, if you are late with few seconds - piss off with your meta BS.

Top Bottom