Why missing Cinematic/3rd person Cutscenes is THE biggest flaw

+
As others have already mentioned, this is indeed a matter of taste. I personally prefer first person games to remain first person throughout the game, without any third person cutscenes breaking up the immersion. However, I am all for options, so if CDPR can ad a third person view for the people who enjoy that, that's fine by me.

The balance is just a bit off. There could've been more moments where you see V in third person. I understand it mainly being a first person game and the game did have some insane FP moments where the perspective really shined. But at the same time they could've included a few little cutscenes here and there and still have it make sense.

The 45min gameplay demo for instance showed V in the elevator in the beginning sequence. Let the players pop out of V's head every once in a while, just to see how we look and act.

I’m glad CDPR had at least so much balls to not litter the game with cartoon cinema clips.

One of my pet peeves with Witcher 3 was the exhausting cutscene heaviness.

That said, the cutscenes are still there in the dialog even though they’re masqueraded as more interactive without forced camera angle change and other histrionics.

First off, I think there should freedom of choice in regard to how you play your singleplayer game. Those who wish to play 3rd person and see everything that should be able to do so, just as first person should be a good viable choice.

That being said, its just an objective observation that first person is always more immersive than 3rd person could ever be. Being a bystander you can feel empathy for the character in a 3rd person setting. But too often this is confused with sympathy, which can only be felt by seeing things through the eyes of a character. Sympathy is when you share someones feelings and emotions, empathy is when you understand them but do not (necessarily) share or feel connected to them.
Thats why I, and others with me I see, are opposed to cutscenes. The best way to explain is by telling you that in my first playthrough I rushed through the main suest and took the ending that was available to me. That ending felt so sad and dissapoiting that I'd never want to play it again. I felt a sort of powerlessness at a certain point that I would never have felt if the game had been 3rd person or a 3rd person cutscene.

Forcing me to watch from the position of a bystander and watch as something happens to a character without me having any control harms immersion, doing it repeatedly destroys immersion. In the end I can still(and will) feel empathy for the character, but I would never feel as connected as I would be in first person.
I also dislike scenes where you are V but have no control over the situation. The scene where you are in the taxi and have 100 maxdocs on you but cant use them... that didnt help and there are other situations where I was annoyed at the 'cutscene', The only part that should have been first person video was the johnny playbacks as thats history.

I'm glad they made the game the way they did and didnt go all movie cutscene on me. If you want to make a movie, just make a movie. Starship troopers traitor of mars already proved you can and its way better than half game -half movie concoctions. Let a game be a game.

That is why V will never be at the same level with Geralt of Rivia (or Ezio Auditore for example). There is no 1st person game's main character that will be memorable like 3rd person game's main character. I really like the game and the story tho.
But isn't it the idea that we make our own V to some extent? Yes s/he has characteristics but the game opens some possibilities (gameplay related mostly) in order to create different Vs on different playthroughs. So there isn't one essence of V or a universal image to reach such a recognition.
About the impact of first camera in the process I can only think of half-life, where the character is an established one in every sense. But a pretty iconic one in my view

Its kinda interesting tbh, I think V is a vampire. Theres no reflection of V when its not in a mirror (that you have to activate) i think its another scrapped mechanic that they just could not get working properly. Remember the E3 vids? V looking in a mirror that seemed to not be activated? with all the interacting with stuff (looks abit like a fleamarket)? yea i think they hade too scrap that since its very resource heavy. Even with RTX you wont leave any reflections of yourself anyware else but the mirrors you must activate.

They never hade a proper 3 person model with animations and so on so they hade to scrap the mirrors ide to make it render ingame.

Guest 3847602

I'll never comprehend why "TPP is a must" crowd would buy the game marketed as "FPP-only". If you absolutely need to see your character's face in order to be invested in their story, maybe start with avoiding those games who claim that they don't offer an option of switching to 3rd person.
At least, that's what I would do... :shrug:

I’m glad CDPR had at least so much balls to not litter the game with cartoon cinema clips.
"balls" = lack of time* and money :coolstory: (all sucked by "smart"** marketing and "jhonny silverhand")

*at first, when they were asked here and there about the first person matter they were like "oh, don't worry about it, you will see v in the cutsenes"...:rolleyes:

sarcasm-big-bang-theory.gif

Last edited:
*at first, when they were asked here and there about the first person matter they were like "oh, don't worry about it, you will see v in the cutsenes"...
You can read that ;)
“Players will still be able to see their characters in the inventory screen, during driving sequences, in mirrors and, very occasionally, in some of the cut-scenes”
Date : September 3th, 2019 (more than 1 years before release).
"Very occasionally, in some of the cut-scenes" > In the intro with Jackie, in the endings,...

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

"balls" = lack of time* and money :coolstory: (all sucked by "smart"** marketing and "jhonny silverhand")
As explained, Cyberpunk 2077 being almost 100% in 1st person was announced more than a year before the game came out, so time and money was not really a huge factor. Even in 2018 demo, those few TPP cutscenes were completely non-interactive, all the instances where dialogue options were displayed were done in FPP.
I do think that Johnny Silverhand is responsible, but not in the way you're implying. He's someone stuck in V's head, that's the most important plot element, so it's far more natural to present this particular story in 1st person.

You can read that ;)
“Players will still be able to see their characters in the inventory screen, during driving sequences, in mirrors and, very occasionally, in some of the cut-scenes”
Date : September 3th, 2019 (more than 1 years before release).
"Very occasionally, in some of the cut-scenes" > In the intro with Jackie, in the endings,...
do not forget that CDP show us a demo with V in 3d person, this not only during the actual played mission (the famous elevator scene), but even in her apartment, after gettin laid with a dude....

do not forget that CDP show us a demo with V in 3d person, this not only during the actual played mission (the famous elevator scene), but even in her apartment, after gettin laid with a dude....
Maybe you have a link, I don't see which "demo" you talk about (famous maybe, but unknow for me).

Yes. This was before the decision was made to remove 3rd-person altogether. All part of sharing a Work in Progress:

The images you're seeing may not represent the final product. Everything you see is subject to change.

I have never liked first person and CP2077 has done nothing to make me change my opinion.
Fortunately, no one will ever force you to play any first-person perspective game that you don't want to play. (If they try, they are not your friends. Plus, anyone trying to bully anyone else to play a video game via force is up to something. Run!)

As for those who like first-person -- that's all CP2077 does!

For those who don't care, well, it's already a non-issue!

And for this thread, the topic is the effect of pre-rendered and/or non-interactive cinematics, not 1st-person vs. 3rd-person gameplay.

On that note, I totally get it, but the whole point was to leave the player totally "immersed" in the world as V. Just like Half-Life did, rather than removing player interaction and showing cinematics as "movies" -- they left the player free to interact with the gameworld and played the dialogue scenes and stuff out in real-time using the in-game engine.

Obviously, that will mean that I can't carefully frame and execute each and every shot. I can't carefully craft the shape, color, and perspective to create exactly the tone and mood I'm looking for. Some people may like the purely cinematic approach better. Others may love being made to feel as if they're never taken out of the world.

One thing's for sure though, whatever my preference, the approaches are exclusive. I can't have both.

Last edited:
So many flaws with this game that I've lost count. This game should have stayed in the oven for at least another three years. Oh, and please, don't give me that. "Can't have both." LOL.

Hi, I'm The Elder Scrolls IV, and V, as well as RDR 2 and GTA V. Have we met?
Post automatically merged:

Yes. This was before the decision was made to remove 3rd-person altogether. All part of sharing a Work in Progress:

The images you're seeing may not represent the final product. Everything you see is subject to change.
There's a term for that in a certain industry. It's called "false advertising." Kind of how Cyberpunk went from an RPG to a "third person action adventure" at the last possible juncture.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

It's called "false advertising." Kind of how Cyberpunk went from an RPG to a "third person action adventure" at the last possible juncture.
False advertisement is changing plans during development and being open about it? What? o_O
As for genres, do you know any action adventure game where you can:
- customize your character's appearance
- customize your build
- have almost complete control over what your character says
- have more than one outcome to majority of sidequests
- have multiple endings depending on your decisions

False advertisement is changing plans during development and being open about it? What? o_O
As for genres, do you know any action adventure game where you can:
- customize your character's appearance
- customize your build
- have almost complete control over what your character says
- have more than one outcome to majority of sidequests
- have multiple endings depending on your decisions
Oh sorry, then it's not false advertising. It's just bait and switch.

Skyrim, Greedfall, All four of the Way of the Samurai games, Mass Effect 1 (1 only) KoTOR 1.....

Top Bottom