Why monster doesn't have any ressurection for Silver Cards?

+
Why monster doesn't have any ressurection for Silver Cards?

I just came to a conclusion after about 4 months playing Gwent. Every faction has at least a way to replay some silver cards from the GY, why to MO was denied this luxury?

ST - Hattory, Barcleys, plus create and Etienne is quite a wide choice

NR - Shani - Nenneke (I think I missing one more)

SK - Restore, Sigrifida

NG - Assire + Decoy and create.

MO - Zero

I didn't include the bronzes resurrection which I leave to you guys that thought. If I missed any other silver card, feel free to add it.

However, this lack of the option is another weak point for the Monster faction imo.

Last edited:
The real question is, why are there resurrection cards for factions other than Skellige?

Esmer;n10758041 said:
The real question is, why are there resurrection cards for factions other than Skellige?

Why are there Spy cards for factions other than Nilfgaard then?

Why are there machines for factions other than NR?

These are questions that need to be answered! :p

ser2440;n10758121 said:
Why are there Spy cards for factions other than Nilfgaard then?

Why are there machines for factions other than NR?

These are questions that need to be answered! :p

Spy cards (aside from CA spies) are indeed only in NG. I think the only exceptions are Iris, Sabrina and Dijkstra (and that is explained lorewise).
And you perfectly understand why there are CA spies in every faction.

It's also totally clear from the lore that NG and Skellige have machines.

Ressurection, on the other hand, is a mechanic that should have stayed unique to Skellige. By adding this mechanic to every faction CDPR dillutes faction identity. Doesn't everybody complain that the game is turning into points vomiting? A loss of faction identity is in part to blame for that.

There's no ambush outside of ST.
There's no consume outside of monsters.
There's no armor outside of NR.
There's no discard outside of Skellige (the fact that it's dead is another issue).
There's no reveal outside of NG.

And it should stay this way.

Last edited:
see no, I fail to understand why. If you feel that something defines a faction, then keep it strictly for that faction. Why should CA spies be any different by your logic? only NG should have them.

Are you insinuating that the game wouldn't be balanced then? Oh but in that case surely you understand why it would be so imbalanced if no one had any way to revive anything at all aside from Skellige with their 7 - 9 revivals in each deck...

Hmm, the thing is that I don't believe at this stage of the game, CDPR or whoever decides is going to remove (a bit too many right now) cards from the game, or even just reworking to keep Faction identity.

But as for now, this is pretty much unfair for MO faction for sure. And by the way, I forgot to mention that Monsters also on the bronze side have no resurrection.

Slyzard, it is not a res, but a consume cycling.

ser2440;n10758541 said:
see no, I fail to understand why. If you feel that something defines a faction, then keep it strictly for that faction. Why should CA spies be any different by your logic? only NG should have them.

Are you insinuating that the game wouldn't be balanced then? Oh but in that case surely you understand why it would be so imbalanced if no one had any way to revive anything at all aside from Skellige with their 7 - 9 revivals in each deck...

You are confusing game mechanics (give your opponent points and draw a card) and appearances (play a disloyal unit on the opponent's side of the board). NG has a lot of different game mechanics for playing disloyal units, while other factions have almost none.

As for the resurrection balance, the game was much more balanced before Paulie, Hattori and Ointments. Moreover, at the time when only SK had resurrects (with the exception of Shani), monsters were one of the best factions, if not the best.

Ic3Purple;n10758611 said:
Slyzard, it is not a res, but a consume cycling.

Slyzard is exactly what I am talking about: a unique game mechanics identifying the faction. Slyzard is one of the best designed monster cards and is very powerful.

Oh, and btw, monsters have a resurrect for deathwish units.

Esmer;n10759101 said:
Oh, and btw, monsters have a resurrect for deathwish units.

Yup, there is Brewess, but it can't ress any silver, and pretty limited anyway for the bronzes range.

mechanics should never be exclusive.... it's ok to have them them more dominant in one faction or another, but not missing.

Esmer;n10759101 said:
You are confusing game mechanics (give your opponent points and draw a card) and appearances (play a disloyal unit on the opponent's side of the board). NG has a lot of different game mechanics for playing disloyal units, while other factions have almost none.

As for the resurrection balance, the game was much more balanced before Paulie, Hattori and Ointments. Moreover, at the time when only SK had resurrects (with the exception of Shani), monsters were one of the best factions, if not the best.

Even so, you are advocating for exclusive faction cards. A spy is a disloyal unit. Sure NG has more spies than anyone else. So does Skellige with revivals. As such, removing ALL revivals or Graveyard interaction (like Slyzard) from every faction other than Skellige would be the same as suggesting the removal of ALL spies (including CA spies) from every faction other than Nilfgaard.

As for the second part of your post, no. The current balance is the same if not better than pre-midwinter, when Spies and Machines were top, ST had no viable deck for top tier play, Eredin and Spell'tael were only prevalent due to spies, consume sucked compared to the current iteration, and Skellige was so and so, with its harpooner deck and veterans being decent.

It's just less fun to play due to being mroe binary and the reason for that is in no small part the excessive amount of revivals and removals this meta is full of.

ser2440;n10760081 said:
Even so, you are advocating for exclusive faction cards.

I am advocating for exclusive faction mechanics. What's the point in having different factions when they play the same?

ser2440;n10760081 said:
As for the second part of your post, no. The current balance is the same if not better than pre-midwinter, when Spies and Machines were top, ST had no viable deck for top tier play, Eredin and Spell'tael were only prevalent due to spies, consume sucked compared to the current iteration, and Skellige was so and so, with its harpooner deck and veterans being decent.

And how SK resurrection was a problem? The only competitive SK deck at that time was Bran with Cerys, Wolfsbane, Olgierd, Morkvarg, Johnny. And the deck was strong not because of resurrects (despite having Cerys), but thanks to carryover and Wolfsbane tempo.

Moreover, I don't believe resurrection was ever a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esmer;n10761961 said:
I am advocating for exclusive faction mechanics. What's the point in having different factions when they play the same?

And how SK resurrection was a problem? The only competitive SK deck at that time was Bran with Cerys, Wolfsbane, Olgierd, Morkvarg, Johnny. And the deck was strong not because of resurrects (despite having Cerys), but thanks to carryover and Wolfsbane tempo.

Moreover, I don't believe resurrection was ever a problem.

Except they really don't. Ok, most factions have some silver or gold resurrection but, aside from being silver or gold, it's usually very limited. The only exception is Ointment, which cannot resurrect any engine. But that's not the factions playing the same. What makes you think that?

It wasn't. Nor did I say it is. Before Midwinter, SK resurrections were fine. What I am saying is that they are problematic now, since you can include up to 3 additional resurrections without sacrificing deck consistency. And again, that's not too much of a problem, considering the balance is alright imo.

In general my point is that it's ok for Monsters to have one limited resurrection if they get it. If they don't, also ok. That won't change much in the grand scheme, neither about how faction play, nor faction identities.

Esmer;n10759101 said:

By which you mean consume was one of the best decks? I mean, Monsters really hasn't ever had more than consume as a top deck for about 8 months. The rise of deathwish has been nice to see, honestly.

The resurrection balance was barely affected by the addition of those cards. Sure, other decks now have access to them; they're still played in one or two decks and that's it. Every single skellige deck is packed to the gills with resurrection. Bran decks go for carry over with Mork, Olgi and Cerys (further fuelled by freya), greatswords and axemen are obvious. Ointment is - as far as I know - only played in alchemy, Paulie isn't used at all right now, and Hattori sees middling play.

P.S. It still bothers me that people complain about points slamming all the time and conveniently forgets that Consume nekkers was the original non-interactive, point slammy spam fest.

Top Bottom