Why no Wolf School Armour/weapon sets?

+
Why no Wolf School Armour/weapon sets?

Since Geralt is from the School of Wolf, shouldn't there be a Wolf set? Man....would have liked to see the upgraded versions of the Armour he wore during the beginning of the game.....

Part of the FREE DLC perhaps? OH PLEASE!!!

pretty sure the one you start with is considered wolf school even though they dont call it that. pretty sure you can upgrade it too...

Yes I know you can "Upgrade" it. But that is not I am referring too. I want to see the enhanced, superior etc...versions of it.

Just wondering why there is none....is it because we are away from Kaer Morhen?

Yeah, hopefully one of the add on packs or the free DLC will add these to the game. The starting armour, in my opinion, looks the best.

BearScout I don't think you understand what I am trying to say here.

In the world of the Witcher 3 you can find 3 sets of witcher gear from 3 schools BEAR, CAT and GRIFFIN.

BUTTTTTTTTTT wheres the Wolf school or Viper set?

Besides the one we have on during the beginning which is probably from the Wolf School there are no upper level versions of it.

I very much liked the one we had during the beginning. The Ursine Set is a close second.

I kind of wish they had just gone with a system where you could upgrade any piece of gear instead of only very specific ones and, most importantly, keep it's look unaltered or even just vanity slots. I really liked a few pieces of armor I found but since they aren't upgrade-able had to stop using them. I really liked the original look of the Cat School chest-piece because of the short sleeves but upon upgrading it it changes look and sleeves are added. Not a deal breaking issue but it would have been nice

Tuco

Forum veteran
I kind of wish they had just gone with a system where you could upgrade any piece of gear instead of only very specific ones and, most importantly, keep it's look unaltered or even just vanity slots. I really liked a few pieces of armor I found but since they aren't upgrade-able had to stop using them. I really liked the original look of the Cat School chest-piece because of the short sleeves but upon upgrading it it changes look and sleeves are added. Not a deal breaking issue but it would have been nice
Well, the second rank of the Cat armor is the best looking one, in my opinion.

Anyway, back to the point. Honestly, after finishing the game, restarting a new campaign and thinking more and more about it, I really realized I would gladly do without a lot of the equipment in the game.
More specifically, I almost wish we didn't get this enormous pile of garbage equipment/vendor trash, and I would gladly replace all of it with... Dunno? Just 10-15 complete sets? maybe with some of them with all upgrades to hunt down, like those Witcher schools set?

Since the dawn of the RPG genre I'm a strong believer that quality matters more than quantity when it comes to reward the player with a treasure. Finding ONE sword or chest that will actually have some use for you at the end of a dungeon is far more gratifying than finding twenty of them all the way through it.

And here you go

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/48/?

This will hold you over until they add a proper upgradeable Wolf set to the game.
"If you're like me, the starting default armor is by far the best looking in the game"

I fear I'm not.

Anyway, back to the point. Honestly, after finishing the game, restarting a new campaign and thinking more and more about it, I really realized I would gladly do without a lot of the equipment in the game.
More specifically, I almost wish we didn't get this enormous pile of garbage equipment/vendor trash, and I would gladly replace all of it with... Dunno? Just 10-15 complete sets? maybe with some of them with all upgrades to hunt down, like those Witcher schools set?

You are not alone on that regard. The Armors in the game are quite a joke to be honest, especially for a Witcher like Geralt that isn't supposed to wear some of the stuff you find. The Armors consist like ~ 80 % of normal armors where the rest are Witcher sets (counting the starting set).
I only wore the blue thing armor on white orchid (which looks horrible) and the temerian armor, since then I only used the Witcher set like Cat and Ursine.

CDP Red, please bring us more (like 10+) Witcher sets, you know... armors like in Witcher 2.
:rly?:

Last edited:
Well, the second rank of the Cat armor is the best looking one, in my opinion.

Since the dawn of the RPG genre I'm a strong believer that quality matters more than quantity when it comes to reward the player with a treasure. Finding ONE sword or chest that will actually have some use for you at the end of a dungeon is far more gratifying than finding twenty of them all the way through it.

If you're referring to the look of the armor, CD Projekt Red actually tried for realistic medieval armor. I do agree that most of them don't look good on Geralt, but I can appreciate the time and effort they did to research some of the historical pieces. For example, a lot of the medium armor is actually a gambeson, a quilted jacket stuffed with padding to protect the wearer. Some of the gambesons have additional chain mail or some armor over top of it for added protection (the Redanian soldiers are a good example of this). Most of the warriors in medieval times would wear this rather than the popularized plate armor that we see in almost every knight movie. Gambesons allowed for better, freer movement while plate armor weighed the fighter down too much most of the time to be dodge. Geralt has always been a fast, maneuverable fighter, so it makes sense to me for him to wear gambesons rather than huge heavy plate like the ursine armor set.

However, if you're talking about stats, I agree; there should be better incentives to use these armors rather than the witcher school gear. And to be fair, they could have made the gambesons a little better to look at. Some of them have way too much padding in the belly and make Geralt look fat. Currently, I don't believe there is any reason to use this kind of armor once you get your first witcher school set due to the amount of bonuses you get from all of the part once they're collected. Sure, some armor will give you a better defensive rating, but will considerably drop your damage per second or sign intensity since it doesn't offer the same or better bonuses.

If you want more witcher school gear, we can always hope in the future that it will come out in one of the free DLCs. Maybe we'll see a wolf set that seems to be awkwardly lacking. :)

The way I see it is this, there are three skill trees. Light in Cat, medium in Griffin and heavy in Bear. Which would the Wolf set fall into? The starting armour is light so why would you need another set of light armour other than aesthetics?

i would have liked one set dedicated to Geralts Wolf school with light, medium and heavy variants and their three levels of upgrade.

The starting outfit looks the best. It would be nice if all the outfits present in the game have their own tiers and thus, one need not switch to a different outfit just because it has overall better attributes.

Tuco

Forum veteran
If you're referring to the look of the armor

CUT
However, if you're talking about stats, I agree
I was referring to the latter. i genuinely think we could do without finding pieces of equipment under every stone and blade of grass, and I'd rather find fewer items overall but having each one of them being a significant upgrade and/or a valid alternate option, instead of being drowned in vendor trash and autoscaled garbage.

Also, sometime I wonder if it wouldn't have been a better plan to go with less stat scaling for gear (meaning "less difference between lower and higher level items") but removing level restriction entirely and just letting better gear to be guarded way more heavily.

The starting outfit looks the best. .
I strongly disagree about that . I genuinely don't like that much the "body-fit chainmail ninja suit" look of it.
If anything, I'd say the Temerian armor looks like a similar concept executed a bit better and more tastefully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom