Why release the game to streamers before everyone else?

+
What is the idea of releasing the game to streamers before everyone else?

Please don't see this as a "Im angry" post, it's more in regards to why :)

I can understand they want to get reviews, but still CDPR have been pretty careful with spoilers, yet one day before it releases they pretty much say "screw this" lets potentially spoil everything. To me it doesn't really matter if things were spoiled 20 days ago or 1 day. (I stay away from all streamers, obviously)

But what I find strange though, is that CDPR must be interested in as good reviews as possible, so releasing a somewhat buggy version to the reviewers surely have an impact on the review scores, but it makes sense in regards to pushing pre sales. But if reviewers got it at the same time as everyone else, they would review the least buggy version of the game, because obviously the amount of bugs is being mentioned in a lot of the reviews.

So just wondering how much of a difference it really makes whether the reviews pops up 1 - 2 days after the official release in regards to people buying it. Because does it really matter that much if people pre order it, compared to buying it the same day or a few days after the release? They don't share pre sale numbers anyway.

Most of these streamers are not reviewing the game, they are merely playing it and potentially spoiling it for people, maybe not the streamers themself, but people watching might share stuff. So I just find it strange to be very careful with spoilers up until the 11 hour, to then just let go of everything.

Is it just in hope that the streamers can push the game a bit more or what? I really don't get it to be honest, any person having seen a gaming stream for the last year or two know what Cyberpunk is and whether they are interested or not.

Last edited:

JexN7

Forum regular
I personally don't follow streamers either because why watch someone else play when I could be playing myself? It's like watching someone eat free steak while your purchased steak is still being unthawed in the kitchens.

My guess has always been game developers using a streamers platform to get to their followers in order to expose their game to a wider, more diverse audience. Meanwhile, the streamer benefits because they have something new, juicy and exclusive to show their followers, giving them screen time to blabber and make money. At this point, getting as many people to buy the game during hype is more important than preventing story spoilers which will be revealed soon anyway.

:shrug:

I personally don't follow streamers either because why watch someone else play when I could be playing myself? It's like watching someone eat free steak while your purchased steak is still being unthawed in the kitchens.
I can do it in order to check out a game which i might be interested in to see what it's like. Maybe game I have heard a lot of good things about but ain't able to play, like the Last of Us, as I don't have a console. So I don't really mind them streaming games and can understand why people watch them, don't really get why people throw so much money at them though, but guess that is just me :)

My guess has always been game developers using a streamers platform to get to their followers in order to expose their game to a wider, more diverse audience.
It can really make a difference for a game if it gets streamed or not, or I understand the idea behind the companies giving them games to play etc. Especially if it is a small indie studio, but when it comes to AAA studios I doubt it makes a huge difference. If GTA 6 were announced, would the streamers make a huge difference in sale numbers? I doubt it.

At this point, getting as many people to buy the game during hype is more important than preventing story spoilers which will be revealed soon anyway.
But the hype were there already, the streamers didn't know more about the game than anyone else anyway. The game is probably as hyped as it can be at the moment, 1 day before release. If CDPR thought they could have done more, they should have done it in the last month or so.

What would really make a difference as I see it, is whether or not the reviews said "We didn't really experience any bugs." Because I think people in general are more concerned about that. Than seeing a streamer play the game 1 day before release.

So i find it really strange, because one could argue, "who cares? one day doesn't matter" and most likely they are correct, but I saw the start of the twitch stream today by CDPR that then transferred to Cohh streaming it and at that moment, he had 91000 viewers and that is just one streamer, so adding all the streamers together, there are probably 2-3 millions viewers, so why not just release it to everyone, if everyone basically can see the game in action anyway? I just don't see the point.

Kinda seems weird that they pushed the release date back from Nov 19 to Dec 10 BECAUSE they wanted everyone to get the game at the same time... then release the game early for certain folks.

It can really make a difference for a game if it gets streamed or not, or I understand the idea behind the companies giving them games to play etc. Especially if it is a small indie studio, but when it comes to AAA studios I doubt it makes a huge difference. If GTA 6 were announced, would the streamers make a huge difference in sale numbers? I doubt it.

It's not uncommon. In fact, things like this are becoming more and more common. That being said, you mainly see it with smaller games; if you're a smaller game developer and you can generate more sales by giving some content creators a few free copies of your game, you certainly would, right? I am kinda surprised CDPR would do it too. I wouldn't think they needed to, and like you say it probably won't generate that much more in sales. If there are gamers who are on the fence about getting Cyberpunk, I've not met any.

I've made a forum thread basically talking about why, at least for the moment, I have no interest in watch Cyberpunk 2077 streams and videos; my reasons are detailed there, so I won't repeat. And given how hyped I'd been for this game over the last few years, I'm not thrilled with seeing people play the game before me. But hey, I'll just stick to my own bubble and play the game at my pace and be okay with that.

I watch streamers a good bit in order to see if a game is worth buying or not. Ive made choices about many many games........yes or no....as a result of watching other people play them. Im vigilant though.....im choosy about who i watch because many streamers are just viewer hungry and the high antics they think are funny and entertaining......are not.
However, streamers are good tools to use. I would rather watch a streamer with constructive opinions than read some review that i cant ever take seriously. Thats just me.....watching other folks play games isnt for everyone.

Ill be watching folks playing CP2077. It will be the deciding factor on dropping the funds to play it. I got the rig that can handle it....but i need to see some solid game play before i commit.

As far as the thread topic is concerned....it doesnt bother me one way or another who gets the game first. We will all be playing sooner or later. We all waited for 7 years since that trailer dropped. We can endure another few days.

But But Streamers are akshually unemployed and mostly poor educated persons guys, how can CDPR stand buy and not gift them the opportunity to earn a few bucks don't hate pls k thx bai

They didnt, really. It was released on console at the same time so..

Unless you're talking about review copies? In that case, well to get reviews..

I watch some streamers gaming on it, it seems great but it made me dizzy (motion sickness) after 10 minutes of watching it. I guess i give this game a miss due to it; i really wanted to play it but i guess the developers didn't bother to factor in people with motion sickness...

Think of it as a game demo that you don't have to play yourself. :LOL:

I watch some streamers gaming on it, it seems great but it made me dizzy (motion sickness) after 10 minutes of watching it. I guess i give this game a miss due to it; i really wanted to play it but i guess the developers didn't bother to factor in people with motion sickness...
Thats because it was streamed maybe in 30fps or maybe lower? So yeah thats prob why you got sick....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say the main reason that certain streamers received it early is the same as the reason that people got to play it at E3 for the last few years...or were flown into the studios in Warsaw to play it...or that reviewers received copies to play in advance...

PR.

Obviously, the more publicity games receive at launch, the more successful the launch will be. Every company does this. It's totally standard practice for the industry. Streaming is now a major source of publicity for a lot of games, so they're being brought into the "early" bunch of people that get access to games.

And it's not that every journalist or person that attended E3 or visitor to the studio gets to play it early. And not every streamer gets to either. CDPR picks and chooses who they think will best help them reach their goals. That's just business.

Top Bottom