Why reveal V's name? [Spoiler]

+
It's because V is like Geralt. They're their own person, they have their own personality and background which you can somewhat change with your choices. But they're still a person who already has a background.
Geralt has several short stories and novels worth of history to his name. V has no such depth and isn't even half as compelling.

It's because V is like Geralt. They're their own person, they have their own personality and background which you can somewhat change with your choices. But they're still a person who already has a background.
Well, they are now, atleast... they were not at some point, but then CDPR took out all the roleplaying and now V is a more or less fixed character like Geralt.

Geralt has several short stories and novels worth of history to his name. V has no such depth and isn't even half as compelling.
I never said V did. It's just how they developed the character. They still have a personality, even if it doesn't have multiple books and whatever backing it up. It's still there, however shallow it seems.

To expand on my previous post. I think the choice to reveal the name at that point in the story was a very deliberate one too an good story telling.
The doll is meant to know more about us than what even we know about ourselves. The service is advertised like that from the getgo at the reception.
The fact that the Doll knows it, even though even the player desnn't, adds to the impression that the doll knows our PC more than us.
Ofc you can argue that they simply know because you give your personal info at the start, but it doesn't change the impact on the player.

To expand on my previous post. I think the choice to reveal the name at that point in the story was a very deliberate one too an good story telling.
The doll is meant to know more about us than what even we know about ourselves. The service is advertised like that from the getgo at the reception.
The fact that the Doll knows it, even though even the player desnn't, adds to the impression that the doll knows our PC more than us.
Ofc you can argue that they simply know because you give your personal info at the start, but it doesn't change the impact on the player.
True... however, since we, as the player don't know much about V at this point either, and the game had not much to work with, it wasn't as impactful as it could have been after, say 25-30 hours of story choices the doll could reference. So, while it was a nice, kinda mysterious scene, it could have been much more in a proper, choice driven RPG...

When you're at the Doll house the prostitute says your name...why? It just breaks immersion cause my name isn't Vincent or Valarie....its just an odd decision.

To be honest. I enjoyed that detail a lot, especially the part where V almost got flustered about it! One of my fav moments in the game tbh ;)

Not like we got to choose our names!

I had mixed feelings in the moment about it, but ultimately I think I like it. It was strange hearing it so casually like that, at first I thought the character was simply making an assumption. I think it was an exceptionally clever way to try to get you to mirror what V was supposed to be feeling in the moment; surprised, thrown off, that this person knows more than they should, which is exactly what the entire scene is ultimately about. Combine that with the most character development of V in the entire game, which reminded me (ironically, since I was just in another thread saying what RDR does better despite not being an RPG) of Arthur's "I'm afraid" scene in RDR. I actually think this is probably the best scene in the entire game, though I'll grant that forcing a name on your character is not very RPG friendly. I laid there for a couple minutes when there were no more dialogue options just to see if it would go on.

I also thought this was a clever way to give V something special -- something she could "give" a partner at the climax of a romance story. I think that was a wasted opportunity.

I got the impression that they were just being "flirty" or "naughty" by making something else out of his/her name which is still just V, really.

Well, they are now, atleast... they were not at some point, but then CDPR took out all the roleplaying and now V is a more or less fixed character like Geralt.

Yea but its a bit odd, isnt it? Getting to create your own character, decide their looks, decide even what genitals they have... and then the game is like "Btw, this isnt your character, this is my character, and you only get to play him/her"

This massively removed the point of the conflict between Johnny and V. like, in the end, to me it doenst really matter who does what... both arent my character.
And it also massively removes the point of having mirrors everywhere. If V is just a character in a story, the main character if you want (although realistically, johnny and V are both main characters) but still just a character... Then what is exactly the point of the story? It seems to be "what would you do" but it isnt. its "what would V do" and V isnt you, even if the game trys so hard to sell you on the promise that they are.

I appreciated TWs way of portraying Geralt, and making him be a predefined character. Because it added greatly to the story. I didnt have to really immerse myself into Geralt, cause I am not Geralt, I am watching a story, and I get to make decisions in key situations.
But if the game lets you create your own character, forces you into first person view, lets you make your own decision and has the premise of basically having someone else inside your brain... then saying "BTW the brain that other is in is also not you, but a premade character" breaks the premise entirely.
So it works great in the witcher and it doesnt at all in Cyberpunk

Yea but its a bit odd, isnt it? Getting to create your own character, decide their looks, decide even what genitals they have... and then the game is like "Btw, this isnt your character, this is my character, and you only get to play him/her"

This massively removed the point of the conflict between Johnny and V. like, in the end, to me it doenst really matter who does what... both arent my character.
And it also massively removes the point of having mirrors everywhere. If V is just a character in a story, the main character if you want (although realistically, johnny and V are both main characters) but still just a character... Then what is exactly the point of the story? It seems to be "what would you do" but it isnt. its "what would V do" and V isnt you, even if the game trys so hard to sell you on the promise that they are.

I appreciated TWs way of portraying Geralt, and making him be a predefined character. Because it added greatly to the story. I didnt have to really immerse myself into Geralt, cause I am not Geralt, I am watching a story, and I get to make decisions in key situations.
But if the game lets you create your own character, forces you into first person view, lets you make your own decision and has the premise of basically having someone else inside your brain... then saying "BTW the brain that other is in is also not you, but a premade character" breaks the premise entirely.

Here's me hoping we'll get a lot of content updates/dlc to define the V we imagine more ;)

V was a weird choice, we already had
V in "DevilMayCry 5", also
V in "V for Vendetta", another
V in "Fast and Furious Crossroads"

and in CP2077 "V" stands for Valentinos gang

I wish it wasn't in there. I had my own name made up with also a reason for the V. Valerie just doesn't fit her.

But the more I played the more I felt I had no input into making it my V. RPG for me is about playing a character I want, not playing a pre-defined role that I know nothing about (kind of like 'go out on stage and play this character, we'll feed you all the lines, you're only the puppet')...

Indeed... doesn't make much sense, does as... at least not untill you follow the games marketing, and how it changed of the years, and realize that the Cyberpunk 2077 that was originally planned, the CP2077 that was in development till 2017-18 and the game that ultimately came out are not the same thing!

Think about it, we went from "groundbreaking, landmark RPG" based on the Cyberpunk 2020 pnp... with deep character creation, impactful life paths, different classes(!), a branching narrative centered around the life and career of a merc in a fully realized, virtual cyberpunk city, etc. where basically every decision about our character and their story should have been up to us, to - over time - the main character suddenly having a fixed name, but no longer a defined class (actually they have, they are more or less always a Solo), to finally, having only one, single, defined (very personal) storyline centered around/defined by another, very prominent lore character...

So, in essence, we went from totally open, freeform RPG to an action adventure, with even less RPG elements and a stronger narrative focus then the Witcher series... and the remnants of this transition are littered EVERYWHERE in the game. From the odly detailed character creation, where most of the stuff you choose has almost no impact ingame (but it was in the marketing, so they had to keep it) to the shallow, almost "fake" feeling RPG systems, to the extremely detailed, but ultimately inconsequential world, that feels like it should have been the stage for a much deeper and more elaborate background simulation...

My assessment why this happened? Management changes lead to a major change in project direction sometime in the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom