Why the heck doesnt this work???

+
Why the heck doesnt this work???

So I finally picked up The Witcher 2 on PC.

I checked all the specs online, even ran the tests at www.canyourunit.com, but this game fails to do anything. Its so choppy it takes about 5 minutes for the title to load.

I have 4 GB of ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti
AMD phenom Black x4 965 quadcore
Windows 7 32 bit

From what Ive read, these are above the recommended requirements, yet even on low I cant load the game, anyone have this happen?

Probably crapware. Your hardware is fine, but something is interfering with the ability of the program to load and run.

Even a grossly inadequate computer can load the game just fine (in that case, it will fail later). Something such as a real-time file scanner or some crapware that got onto your system as part of another program is the most likely culprit.

Try running from a "clean boot" and see if it improves. Or if you have anything that does file scanning, temporarily disable it. If your disk is close to full (like 80-90 percent), defragment it; if it's over 90%, do a spring cleaning on it.

Hmmm, I use Microsoft anti malware. Im pretty sure it was disabled, but I'll try to disable as much as possible.

Is there a scan I can throw up here that may help?

You mean Microsoft Security Essentials? Yes, I would try with it disabled.

To do a "clean boot", you run "msconfig", disable everything that isn't an MS-provided system service, and reboot.

First of all the graphic card is very weak. Then you only have a 32 Bit Windows, means you can only use three of your four GB of ram. And at last, The Witcher 2 is a graphic monster. It eats your hardware like chewing gum.
Upgrade your PC to solve this issue.

ekfight said:
Hmmm, I use Microsoft anti malware. Im pretty sure it was disabled, but I'll try to disable as much as possible.

Is there a scan I can throw up here that may help?

You can also try CCleaner to clean several important areas of your Windows system.

And as a funny comment, Microsoft itself is sort of malware :p

ekfight said:
First of all the graphic card is very weak. Then you only have a 32 Bit Windows, means you can only use three of your four GB of ram. And at last, The Witcher 2 is a graphic monster. It eats your hardware like chewing gum.
Upgrade your PC to solve this issue.

Not really. A GTX 550 Ti is a little bit more powerful than the 8800GT, which is the minimum required for the game. Also I don't believe he will be using all his addressable memory while playing TW2, unless he also has other things running in the background.

He should at least be able to play in low to medium settings.

I have a low spec pc now and i use the program gamebooster 3 to dissable most running programs in the background and it works great for me and i also clean and defrag my pc before starting to play The Witcher 2 wich also helps alot.

volsung84 said:
Not really. A GTX 550 Ti is a little bit more powerful than the 8800GT, which is the minimum required for the game. Also I don't believe he will be using all his addressable memory while playing TW2, unless he also has other things running in the background.

He should at least be able to play in low to medium settings.

Nope. You can look at the benchmarks. With Übersampling turned off, you wont get more than 20 FPS on medium settings with a 550 Ti.

But he should check if Übersampling is turned off anyway.

DonSwingKing said:
Nope. You can look at the benchmarks. With Übersampling turned off, you wont get more than 20 FPS on medium settings with a 550 Ti.

But he should check if Übersampling is turned off anyway.

Still that doesn't mean that the card is *very* weak. It is definitely not a performance card, but it's better than what many others have in this same forum. Have you seen how many people tried running TW2 on standard laptops?

If the benchmark you read reached 20 FPS on Medium, then maybe he can play, as I said, in low-to-medium settings depending on his FPS goal. Considering he doesn't have a high-end gaming PC, he should be content with something around 30 FPS.

Claims that a GTX 550Ti is not enough to run the game are baloney and should be disregarded, because they have no basis in fact. Much lesser GPUs than that will run the game just fine, though they will not run it well at full resolution.

Volsung84 is correct. The game should run much better than what you are seeing.

But when you have a load-time delay such as the OP is seeing, the GPU is not implicated. Something is interfering with loading game resources from disk, and efforts should be guided to finding out what is causing that problem instead of arguing about the GPU.

ISL00

Forum regular
check the task manager and see if there is something that takes more resources than it should.
and there is some optimizer for amd cpu I think

All great replies guys, sucks being stuck at work not able to try these.

I do run game booster and ccleaner. I'll defrag and try a clean boot, but I wonder if it is but HD. I updated it about a year ago, but it's not high performance. I'll check task manager and all the other options later.

Yeah the 550 ti plus my CPU have bf3 running on high... So it's def a decent midrange card.
Would speed fan be a problem??

ekfight said:
All great replies guys, sucks being stuck at work not able to try these.

I do run game booster and ccleaner. I'll defrag and try a clean boot, but I wonder if it is but HD. I updated it about a year ago, but it's not high performance. I'll check task manager and all the other options later.

Yeah the 550 ti plus my CPU have bf3 running on high... So it's def a decent midrange card.
Would speed fan be a problem??

I run Speedfan and have not seen it causing problems with the game. I don't run Game Booster, though, so I can't say whether it would be involved.

You don't need a high-performance HDD, but I still think something is restricting the game's ability to read from it. Exactly where you're seeing delays, there is a lot of disk input.

I have a gtx 550ti with a dual core processors and I can get the witcher up to medium settings with a superb frame rate. I have to disable some of the effects but the game is still gorgeous, also the new nvidia beta driver helps (adaptive vertical sync and fxaa are very clutch).

Alright guys, so I tried all of the suggestions listed here and got it working!

I had out of date gpu drivers, dunno if that was it but it works. Gamebooster 3 gives me a 44% performance increase!

Got it from 30 - 50 fps with the gtx 550 ti on high settings (vertical sync off), pretty darn happy, thanks guys!!

Reinstall your OS! When smth like this occurs mostly it is smth bad in OS registers, which can be cleaned only by reinstall, then download latest graphic card driver, u may have old one from times when witcher 2 game mechanics were not existent so driver cant get through that, he doesnt know it... but if u rly have that pc I am sure reinstalling OS and upadting ur drivers will do it :)

I don't see how a 550ti is a "bad" GFX card....

I have a GTS 250 and the game says I can play with everything on medium (no ubersampling)

Theres also nothing wrong with 32bit Win. and from what I've read 32 systems read up to 4GB of RAM not 3GB. Considering TW2 has only used up no more than 2GB (generously speaking), 3 or 4GB should be fine.

ekfight said:
Alright guys, so I tried all of the suggestions listed here and got it working! I had out of date gpu drivers, dunno if that was it but it works. Gamebooster 3 gives me a 44% performance increase!Got it from 30 - 50 fps with the gtx 550 ti on high settings (vertical sync off), pretty darn happy, thanks guys!!

Great news! Probably a combination of both of the points - the out-of-date drivers and some crapware running. Sometime you might want to look into why gamebooster is giving you such a big increase, as whatever it is that it's shutting down may be affecting your performance on other software too.

ekfight said:
Reinstall your OS! When smth like this occurs mostly it is smth bad in OS registers, which can be cleaned only by reinstall, then download latest graphic card driver, u may have old one from times when witcher 2 game mechanics were not existent so driver cant get through that, he doesnt know it... but if u rly have that pc I am sure reinstalling OS and upadting ur drivers will do it :)

I beg to disagree. Reinstalling OS is a LAST resort, and should only ever be if you have a really good reason to think that it's necessary. It's far too drastic, far too much work, and should never be an early step in troubleshooting.

ekfight said:
I don't see how a 550ti is a "bad" GFX card....I have a GTS 250 and the game says I can play with everything on medium (no ubersampling)Theres also nothing wrong with 32bit Win. and from what I've read 32 systems read up to 4GB of RAM not 3GB. Considering TW2 has only used up no more than 2GB (generously speaking), 3 or 4GB should be fine.

I think these points have already been answered. You're right, a 550ti is NOT a bad card, and 4GB is more than enough memory as long as it isn't all being used by other processes running on the system.

Top Bottom