Why the Third act is as good as the rest of the game.

+
Why the Third act is as good as the rest of the game.

First of hello again fellow forumites. It has been awhile have I missed much? lol. Now I remember from when I was here that there were complaints about the third act of the game long before I finished the game. Now it's been since July since I finished the game so forgive me if I get some details wrong but before I get to that here are the ground rules for this thread.
1. This thread is designed as a counter thread to the one solely designed to complain about the third act and ending. I am not saying this is a no gripe zone differing opinions are welcome as long as they are civil but this is also a place for people who like the whole game third act included to talk and share without fear of reprisal.
2. No hate speech at all. If you are among those that hate the third act and cannot civilly discuss your opinion then DO NOT POST.
3.Anyone Is welcome as long as you are kind.

Ok so from what I remember the third act starts bald mountain. I can't quite remember what that quest is unless it's the one we get Ciri in. However the rest of act 3 is battle prep, story revelations about ciri and Eridin and the Elder blood and the Wild hunt, the attack on Kaher Moren, going to the Alternate worlds etc... IMO very story rich and what happens to Radovid was not surprising IMO. I thought it was all well done and I'm curious if any one else agrees.

Edit: Ok so from my perspective the game starts out strong with a strong opening cinematic (come on how mnay time do we see death by hungry raven?), then a very interesting prologue starting with a dream sequence.. Now we get into the main prologue in White Orchard where the story starts to take shape. We start to see the cunning and decitefullness of the Nilfgardians, and the ever growing distrust of the Witchers. Then the begining of both Yen's and Cir's role in the story. The prolouge sets up the main story very well IMO and now we head to act 1 where it really picks up. Before we get to go to Velen we can talk to Yen and not really stir the embers yet but at least start to. Then we get very interesting plot lines both main and secondary in Velen and Novigrad. To name a few the Baron quest line the Orphans,, Kiera, the Ciri plot Dandalion and Zoltan of course, the Gwent championships, I know ther's more I can't remember all of them but most of the main and secondary quests, and contracts had good plots in both Novigrad and Velen. Now in Act 2 in Skellige I really loved this. THe nordic themes the exellent storytelling I can't pick a single plot thread here that was bad. So Why do I feel that act 3 measures up? Well here;s why. Act 3 is supposed to be what ties everything together in a nice bow right? Well IMO it does just that. Up till now we've wonder'd exacttly why they (the hunt, more precisely Eridin want Ciri, now we know. Second. We finally find out Eridins true motives behind everything. I don't feel the writing quality deminisahed at all except at one place. I felt the same excitememnt I felt during the whole game at the end until the white frost point. I do agree a little bit more could have been added but to play devils advocate we knew she could stop it we didn't need to see how. After that the writing was still great the ending was great and thus overall I feel all three acts were just as good.

Last edited:
So...Why is it as good as the rest of the game? The title of thread suggests that you're going to explain this to us. I'm confused :uma:
Yeah Sorry had to finish the post in a hurry (bloody ex in laws) and didn't get a chance to flesh it out. Edit incoming.

Yeah, it is some pretty low opinion that the rest of the game is as good, or as crappy, as the third act. :)

But if to be serious: If someone is going to argue that Act 3 is actually good, he/she will have to address all (or at least most important and frequent ones) our criticisms, one by one. and it is quite a task, you know, given how thoroughly we analyzed every bloody word and move the characters made. Just wide-eyed admiration is not enough.

Last edited:
I think the main quest was superb in the beginning - White Orchard, Vizima, until the end of Velen and the Bloody Baron. After that I think it's okay in Novigrad, but after a while gets too drawn out and feels artificial because it's like a laundry list of characters to meet. Skellige was also decent because we finally get to interact with Yennefer, but it was too short. The Battle at Kaer Morhen was great and epic, but everything after that was a letdown for me.

In my opinion it would have been better if they had ended the story with a victory at Kaer Morhen and instead of the fluff afterwards, added more quests to Skellige and more substance to everything after Velen. Because I felt that the quality of choices, story and gray morality got worse in Novigrad and Skellige compared to the first parts of the story.

An example of why I think the beginning was much better: Peter Saar Gwynleve (commander of the Nilfgaardian outpost in White Orchard) is a much better and fleshed out character than Eredin and the Wild Hunt, Whoreson Junior, etc. And that says a lot.

Last edited:
Act 3 mirrors act 2 in lots of ways: we gather allies and have an epic battle in which someone dies. The difference is? Act 2 does all those things better.

Let's take a look at our allies first. The ones who participate in the battle at Kear Morhen are developed characters. We got to know them as people. We even know some of them from the previous games. And now let's compare them with our allies for the final battle. Margarita and Fringilla have like what two lines in the game? And considering that they didn't appear in the previous games the non-book readers were probably thinking "Who the hell are these people i've never seen before? Why are they so important all of a sudden?

And now let's compare the battles. What do have in the battle at Kaer Morhen? Yennefer covering the entire fortress with a barrier, Triss blowing up the enemies with fireballs, Lambert and Eskel doing some badass swordfighting. Everyone had a role to play, everyone got to do something cool. And what do we see in our final battle? We have five(!) powerful sorceresses and what do they do? They just stand on one place pretending to be useful. Seriously, we spend the entirety of act 3 gathering them for this!?

And the death scenes of course. I don't think i even need to explain this one. Vesemir's death was terribly cliche, but it was epic, dramatic and sad.Crach's death was just...akward.

And all those things I listed above? They're not even the worst things about act 3.:rant: Ok, the rant is over moving on.

Guest 3847602

Up until the return to Novigrad from Bald Mountain, pretty much my only gripes with the story were boring Dandelion (again) and forced Geralt's behavior with Triss at the party, but after Imlerith fight everything that could possibly go wrong - did go wrong for me: Eredin - "Long live the king" :sick:, Ciri and the White Frost, Ciri and Yen, Dijkstra, pointless Fringilla's cameo, Sunstone deus ex machina, etc... For 90% of the story, it was even better than I hoped TW3 will be, and then, in the final 3-4 hours this happened... Bugger :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Act 3 felt like it was directed by Michael Bay, lots of style but lacking substance. Had more boss fights, more interesting quest locations and hell more characters jumbled in but short on story and character motivations. Having said that, some of the most memorable game defining quests were in Act 3 (Bald Mountain, Through Time and Space, On Thin Ice). So if you're looking at it purely through the types of quests available without taking into account the story narrative, I'd argue Act 3 holds up or is possibly even better than 1 and 2. There's really not much defense for the story narrative in Act 3, but IMO, story wise the rest of the game didn't live up to the Bloody Baron quest chain anyways

Well I guess this is definitely not the place to talk about act 3. If I have To go though each and every point of the game and explain why it is good then yeah that will take a while. This really is shades of ME3 again. I know I'm not the only one however It is my opinion and I will continue to point out not just mine that the story of this game all 3 acts include is one of the best I've ever seen and is good all the way through. If all I'm going to get is ridiculed for my opinion then I'm done. I don't mind explaining but I don't apreicate that I have a low opinion of things just because I like something you don't.

Well Jon, problem is... as I said, you have to SHOW us how it is somehow good.

I do want to see SOME good in the game's act 3. As is, I have seen CoD games with superior Act 3's... and I am not even joking now :(

You liking it is subjective. Hell, if you can put that subjective feeling of yours into words well, at least we will be able to see your position and understand it :)

Well I guess this is definitely not the place to talk about act 3. If I have To go though each and every point of the game and explain why it is good then yeah that will take a while. This really is shades of ME3 again. I know I'm not the only one however It is my opinion and I will continue to point out not just mine that the story of this game all 3 acts include is one of the best I've ever seen and is good all the way through. If all I'm going to get is ridiculed for my opinion then I'm done. I don't mind explaining but I don't apreicate that I have a low opinion of things just because I like something you don't.

What did you expect? Your opening post is quite long, but says very few about pros and cons of Act III. I would suggest you to argue about strengths and weaknesses the same way whitewoof does on the previous page. I agree with him that Act III is cool and had a lot of potential, but there are many story inconsistencies and that bothers many of us. Because we can clearly see how much potential was wasted.

For me, Sunstone quest with Philippa was fun, and i guess it`s all good in act 3.

It was fun, but the final dialogue with Philippa is so OOC. One would expect the dialogue to be full of hints and hidden threats and that it will have some consequences, instead she straightforwardly tells Geralt about her plans with Yen (and Ciri if she becomes an Empress). That is so lame!

Last edited:
It was fun, but the final dialogue with Philippa is so OOC. One would expect the dialogue to be full of hints and hidden threats and that it will have some consequences, instead she straightforwardly tells Geralt about her plans with Yen (and Ciri if she becomes an Empress). That is so lame!
That dialogue kinda make no sense, why would Ciri accept her as advisor while she hold Yennefer in prision, and why would she think that Ciri would accept that in the first place. ???

Well Jon, problem is... as I said, you have to SHOW us how it is somehow good.

I do want to see SOME good in the game's act 3. As is, I have seen CoD games with superior Act 3's... and I am not even joking now :(

You liking it is subjective. Hell, if you can put that subjective feeling of yours into words well, at least we will be able to see your position and understand it :)

My problem is I've always had trouble with creative writing and putting my expressions from a book, play, movie game etc into context plus it has been a while. However thinking back you guys do have a point the final act wasn't as story rich but I think I know why. We spent the entire game getting to this point. The final story elements to be revealed would be shortly and they were. My favorite parts were the Isle of Avalach. I loved the information about Ciri we got there and I loved the final fate we could give Radovid and of course a certain blind lady. Also I thought the final revelation about the hunt was satisfying and I liked the epilogue. Could it have been a bit meatier yes. After immense thought no it was not as good as the rest of the game however does it drag the whole game down? Absolutely not. Does it diminish a great game? Nope. Nor does it diminish the epilogue. Overall the whole game was amazing but I do agree now that the third act could have used a bit more polish but I do not agree that it was a steaming pile of shit. Tha lovely honor belongs to
[

Attachments

• demotivational_poster__superman_64_by_cartoonrockfan93-d6yugpl.jpg
    demotivational_poster__superman_64_by_cartoonrockfan93-d6yugpl.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Na... Act 3 is really awful....
Game starts very good....is still ok in the middle but the final act is a mess....

True, its like they ran out of time.
The open world (as awesome as it is) really hurt the overall narrative of the game.

TW2's exciting story is superior in general (even before the lackluster Act 3). TW3's just felt dragged on with poor development especially for the Villian.

Eredin is a freaking joke compared to Letho's awesomeness.

The former is like Cory from DA:I, bland and silly evil. The latter was more gray and a character with depth.

The former is like Cory from DA:I, bland and silly evil. The latter was more gray and a character with depth.

You know, I think you are right here. Act 3 feels like a typical Bioware crappy story-telling, with stupid one-dimensional villains and crazy and completely non-sensical situations. Actually, I even want a Bioware trademark star child here. At least he would have explained what a fuck happened with Ciri and White Frost.

For me it felt even worse after such incredible quest-lines in Velen, and pretty good story-telling on Skellige and in Novigrad.

Last edited:
I don't get why people complain so much about the third act when the rest of the game's story wasn't good in general. I mean, did the third act suck? yes, dramticaly so. But did you like the "Find character X to find character Y so you could find character Z to find Dandeloin to find Ciri"'s Novigrad act or the "Suicide Mission without consequences" battle of Kaer Morhen any better?

Top Bottom