Why The Witcher 3 Should Be Open World

+
Why The Witcher 3 Should Be Open World

Hi Everyone ,before giving opinion i would like to clear two thing .
1)- I am not huge fan of open world games , so no fanboy
2)- Since The Witcher 3 as open world title coming from CD Projekt Red , I am not worried and have faith in CDPR and The Witcher 3 .

So after clearing up the first point above I still think that The Witcher 3 should be open world game . Why.? Here is the reason :

When The Witcher 2 was out in 2011 it became benchmark for RPGs and PC Graphics/Performance . We had games like Dragon Age 2 , Skyrim and Dark Souls , all RPGs . None of them achieved what The Witcher 2 had . There were some reviewers who even said that other games in front of red engine technology and The Witcher 2 which is using that graphics engine , looks like a joke .

After mix reviews of Dragon Age 2 , Bioware went back to paper and announced that Dragon Age 3 will use Frostbite 2 engine which is good looking one and it will be open world game as well , on other hand dark souls 2 developers aiming for better looking game this time around instead of Dark Souls which looked like Playstation 2 game .

The Witcher 3 , Dragon Age 3 and Dark Souls 2 all major Role Playing Games are coming in 2014 , in same year almost just like the last time , same competition . I as a huge fan of The Witcher series want The Witcher 3 to totally shock everyone with it's production values . I want it to not only become best looking RPG but best looking open world game with best story and gameplay and best choice and consequence system so it not only becomes one of the best games ever made like first two games in the series but also become RPG of the year and strong contender for GOTY .

It will be nice if you will post your opinions here . So guys what you think . Do you want open world game if story is not compromised (which I think won't be) .? Please Leave Comment .

Don't care about Dragon Age 3 and probably won't be able to play Dark Souls 2, because of online drm or steam. So the only reason I think that the Witcher 3: Broadswords, Bastards and Bare Breasts, should be open world is because CDPR want it to be. I trust them not to make a consequenceless hiking simulator like Skyrim or a lowest common denominator pandering dating sim like Bioware.

After having played Assasssin's Creed 3 which presented further evidence that open world games can have great stories, I'm more comfortable with the idea. And there is a great opportunity to take CnC even further, with say entire villages either flourishing or destroyed because of our actions, which we can always revisit later.

Also, it might enhance the monster hunting aspect a great deal if executed properly. Would be cool to have an investigate mode or something that would allow us to follow the trail of a monster to its nest.

i agree with pretty much eveything except with saying dark souls looks like a PS2 game, there is no need to make useless and absurd exaggerations to ruin your post, you know it doesnt look like a ps2 game, yet it still looks worse enough than TW2 to prove your point.

Not an avid gamesplayer but occasionally a game comes along which grabs me. Totally addicted to the Witcher and have played 1 & 2 thru several times making different choices etc so looking forward to W3. I used to play Warcraft until WoW which I thought junked everything that was good about the game. Having been a PC Tech for 20 yrs I refuse to play any game which makes me connect to the internet to play. Just my preference from cleaning up peoples PCs who do play on-line games.

First and most of all witcher 3 should be -must, will be- awesome .
Now I have to say that I am a fan-boy of open world games, especially those who fool me to believe they're world is limitless and let you wonder around even after the game has finished. I believe that an open world gives much more freedom to the designers, but I would buy ,play, and cherish every minute of a good witcher game regardless of that. Cause I am a witcher and CDPR fanboy also. :)

KnightofPhoenix said:
Also, it might enhance the monster hunting aspect a great deal if executed properly. Would be cool to have an investigate mode or something that would allow us to follow the trail of a monster to its nest.

They could use a hunting system from Far Cry 3 but enhanced a bit.

AC3 and Far Cry 3 were 2 of the best games last year. Despite the shit Ubi does, no doubt they produce some of the finest games. For me personally AC (now 3) is the benchmark for open world. Not even Skyrim, it has a great world but the feeling is missed because of character control. I feel more of a god controlling Ezio/Connor than Dovahkiin who is actually supposed to be a sort of god lol.

As you well put, TW2 is the benchmark for games itself as far as my opinion is concerned, and I have full faith in CDP. I just hope we are able to roam around the world post main story, well that depends on the story of the game. Don't know about TW3 but this thing I definitely want in CP77

No, I am not.

Although I should specify that it's mostly AC1, AC: Revelations, and AC3 I'm talking about. AC2 and Brotherhood had meh stories, but a great protagonist.

My biggest concern as it comes to production values is loading times. I could not believe how incredibly short the loading times could be in TW2 (though it was promised that they'd be 0 :p). I don't want any compromise on that. As cohesive a play experience as can be made, it should. Morrowind, for example, had this problem where you would always hit a loading screen crossing into a new area. Production values are secondary to play experience, so I hope CDPR doesn't overload themselves just to make an empty world.

I have a lot of opinions about the idea of open world, but the structure of TW games (especially if you look at Act 1 in TW1) can lend itself to open world. The biggest problem it could solve is direct guidance as it comes to quests, meaning that you wouldn't always be guaranteed to run into someone you've been told about when switching acts. As for the story itself, there will have to be a bit of an overhaul to howobjectives work. They should still be laissez-faire as they are in the series thus far, but there should be multiple objectives (not quests, objectives) to be achieved which in turn will affect the outcome of the rest. Take Ultima (primarily 4, and 5) as the best examples of this, providing multiple objectives to a full end goal, allowing you to be embroiled in other things along the way. So long as they don't make things so intense like Act 3 in TW2, the pacing shouldn't suffer. I'm excited to see where they go with it, but I won't be blind if it doesn't work out.

KnightofPhoenix said:
After having played Assasssin's Creed 3 which presented further evidence that open world games can have great stories, I'm more comfortable with the idea. And there is a great opportunity to take CnC even further, with say entire villages either flourishing or destroyed because of our actions, which we can always revisit later.

I admit, the prospect of riding Roche from village to village, looking for Witcher's work does have it's appeal. I'm wondering since it is open world if we'll be riding horses. Geralt going by foot everywhere would be odd.

I'd rather that they kept things the way they are. It's extremely hard to manage both a good story and the open world concept because it's very hard to do C&C with open world. For every change that the character makes to the world or to himself, the whole world has to treat him differently. If it's not open world, the scope of this problem is much smaller. The alternative is for the world to avoid responding to anything the playing character does, which makes the game boring, pointless and maybe even insulting to the player's intelligence.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Ubisoft games beat the shit out of most games when it comes to story, including a lot of RPG games.

I concur. Here I full trust in CDP that they can nail it, in both TW3 and CP77. Well is it Feb 5 already?

KnightofPhoenix said:
No, I am not.

Although I should specify that it's mostly AC1, AC: Revelations, and AC3 I'm talking about. AC2 and Brotherhood had meh stories, but a great protagonist.
It's a matter of taste I suppose, but why the hell did you put AC1 story above AC2? That's just funny.

Theoretically if they get full digital they can go for 20gb voice acting files required to make an open world game as deep as the previous in the series. Practically you have to accept that you can either have a deep game or a very big one , game mechanics and everything can help expanding the experience so you can go from a boring repetitive Skyrim to a Gothic 2 kind of product but i am not expecting Witcher level story in a Daggerfall environment .

Blothulfur said:
probably won't be able to play Dark Souls 2, because of online drm or steam.

It probably won't have those or wouldn't require them or are you talking about online activation?

As for what I think of Witcher 3 being open world, They're trying to get the 'people who were dissapointed by Skyrim' audience just speculation though.

I mean I was one of those people who first played Bioware stuff first then moved here since people recommended that it was better and it was.

Top Bottom