Why this game is broken (at least as a PC game but probably also as a console game)

+
I feel your pain OP.

Full support for you from me. I have had a horrid 150 hours with these very bad controls and movement with is totally illogical and compleatly wrong for the PC.

I get as much flak from flanboys and players, who will keep defending CDRP and be blind to everything no mater how many lies and bad moves they do, in all the other forums I post about the games problems.

The only people who are fine with this game as it is are people who don't know how PC RPG games are supposed to play and people who should be playing on consoles since they are fine with half baked consoles ports like TW3.

Could you give an example of a PC RPG that does have the "right controls" in your opinion?

Could you give an example of a PC RPG that does have the "right controls" in your opinion?

It's quite simple. You have a mouse cursor and you move it, and you click with it and things happen. Not like here, where your mouse simulates a console controller thumbstick, which just moves the camera angle. It's the difference between moving your head with your eyes frozen at 0 angle 0 tilt, and moving your eyes while your head is still.

Last edited:
@akabez

Lots of complaining in your post... The only complaint that's valid is Auto-Sheath.

For the love of God, i wish they'd add an option to STOP that.

1. Incidentally, they have a silly option to TURN-OFF auto-finishers [which i glady turned off, as I want to be the one to initiate a death-blow]

Truth is, automation is just *not* good and easily immersion breakers...

2. Now, we have an "Auto-Roll" from jumps, thanks to players bitching/ moaning ... [This is the player community's fault for complaining, CDProjekt red had it *right* the first time"]
- Jumping/ landing should be risky, period. now I can just jump-off buildings with little-to-no dmg as I please... rather than learning Geralt's limitations and risking a certain amount of dmg depending on HOW HIGH i decided to jump a cliff/ mountain-pass / valley lol, immersion-breaking.

I just died because of the auto lock.
Holy smokes, it's annoying to the nth degree to stumble upon an enemy 7 levels higher that you, turning and running away, only to have Geralt CONSTANTLY disobeying and stopping running, just because the soft lock on kicks in.

This is "tear hair out of my head" levels of annoying. I died because the controls actively fight me and win. For absolutely no good reason. There is no way I could beat that monster and the game literally forced me to fight it anyway.

This is stupid.

CDPR, can you please disable Geralt going into combat stance as long as you have the sprint button pressed or something? Why would you allow Geralt to disable the button press to perform another action?

Last edited:
It's quite simple. You have a mouse cursor and you move it, and you click with it and things happen. Not like here, where your mouse simulates a console controller thumbstick, which just moves the camera angle. It's the difference between moving your head with your eyes frozen at 0 angle 0 tilt, and moving your eyes while your head is still.
I disagree, that type of camera angle should be used only in first person rpg's which this game isn't.

I think for _movement only_ WOW could be a good example. Not combat or anything, only movement.
You have a mouse cursor, and you can turn it into camera rotation with right click.
You can move freely, and no damn combat stance interrupts your movement. Have combat stance if you must, but don't let it interrupt your movements.
You can look as far up or down as you want.
You can control yourself if the camera auto adjusts to your movements or not.
You can zoom a looong way in or out.
You can click enemies are see their names and levels _before_ you're possibly too close to avoid entering combat. This would also allow you to click archers and start parrying at a distance without being at the mercy of whenever the game feels you should be allowed to on account on its automatic combat stance.

2. Now, we have an "Auto-Roll" from jumps, thanks to players bitching/ moaning ... [This is the player community's fault for complaining, CDProjekt red had it *right* the first time"]
- Jumping/ landing should be risky, period. now I can just jump-off buildings with little-to-no dmg as I please... rather than learning Geralt's limitations and risking a certain amount of dmg depending on HOW HIGH i decided to jump a cliff/ mountain-pass / valley lol, immersion-breaking.

The would have had it right, if they ever bothered to mention that the implemented a roll option to mitigate fall damage... most people figured this out by pure accident or via Twitter... I don't think I should read a devs Twitter to learn the basic controls of the game.
But actually... since there was no downside to not rolling, the actions was fully redundant and thus cutting the action is fine imo

Being made for a dual analog stick controller is not a problem. That only affects maximum turn rate. If anything, a good implementation can be much better for movement with 360 degrees range instead of 4 directions, and directional magnitude. The problem is this game has terrible implementation because you can only strafe in focus mode. So all you can do is run around in circles like a chicken having a seizure until you get randomly ninjad by focus mode in which you crawl like a turtle for at least several seconds before the speed toggle works so you can be a chicken again.

Game is far from broken. In fact for me it's redefined what a decent video game should be. Can't see myself ever enjoying a Bethesda rpg after this game. Those always felt like a chore and kinda lifeless anyway. 150 hours in and nothing ever felt like a grind.

So idk if op is exaggerating or just jaded. But this is far from broken. Use a controller if you having controls problems. 3rd person action, without guns especially, sucks with mouse and keyboard most of the time.

Game is far from broken. In fact for me it's redefined what a decent video game should be. Can't see myself ever enjoying a Bethesda rpg after this game. Those always felt like a chore and kinda lifeless anyway. 150 hours in and nothing ever felt like a grind.

So idk if op is exaggerating or just jaded. But this is far from broken. Use a controller if you having controls problems. 3rd person action, without guns especially, sucks with mouse and keyboard most of the time.

Same. I haven't encountered any major problems with the game, just a few trivial bugs here and there that didn't impinge upon the overall experience. The control scheme was also intuitive and didn't feel as cumbersome as the second game.

I think the controls and the combat system are great, and I feel in full control of Geralt's actions with a mouse and keyboard and a predominantly sword-oriented build on Death March. In fact it's my favourite combat system right after Mount & Blade Warband (the best Medieval combat on the market, four-directional attack and block), it's simple and intuitive yet has a learning curve and is advanced enough to be heavily skill-dependent, which is most likely what makes some people rage about it.

Sounds to me like a case of 'l2p' no matter how some in the thread claim otherwise.

It's logical to assume that when the majority don't have any serious problems whatsoever and on the contrary think the combat system is excellent there's a very good chance it isn't the game that's the problem - but you that have to practice a bit more instead of throwing a fit on the forums. Or maybe the game just isn't for you - who knows.

Last edited:
Everyone golf clap. Christopherrolf can roll his face across fast attack and dodge for 200 hours. I hereby present gold medal on behalf of the Special Gaming Olympic Committee.

I too can insult people with different expectations.

Comparing the main mechanic in a game with a $45m production budget to a solo project that someone made in his spare time (M&B) does indeed summarize the situation.

Here's a laugh for you. I just found another video by Worth A Buy here responding to the type of comment by Christopherrolf. Also take a look at his comment under the video:

I have received hundreds of abusive messages over my review, had a few threats of actual violence and had to ban over 200 people for calling me a liar or verbally abusing me. There are community campaigns set up against me, active groups telling people to come and thumb down my video, all because I said the combat sucked. I shows how bad it was in my original review but people accused me of playing it on easy, calling me a liar and that I was misleading people on purpose, honestly, I am very disappointed with the levels of hate and abuse that many people are capable of today, all over a game review, so many childish people full of bitterness and hate.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be insulting, apologies if the shrill tone in some of the 'game is broken' posts may have influenced my wording a bit. I'm also not claiming that it's any achievement to think the combat system is good whatsoever so I have no idea why you are insinuating it - I'm merely pointing out the fact that many if not most players don't think that it's broken as was the original argument in this thread.
It's one thing pointing out things you think need improving but saying the combat system is broken or that the game is broken because of it is stretching it considering the testimony of so many other players enjoying it. You are free to have your opinion of course but it doesn't change the fact that if others can utilize the combat system without any fuss by practicing the OP is most likely able to do the same.

Concerning MB: Warband, then it is made by Taleworlds and published by Paradox, it was only the early code for the first game in the series that was made by the company's founder, though I fail to see how that it started small has any bearing on the potential quality of its design.
Again, feel very free to disagree but I wasn't aware it was controversial that WB has one of the best combat systems for melee weapons on the market (where before that Jedi Outcast/Academy were strong contenders, and even earlier games like Rune or Die by the Sword) and the fighting system in newer Medieval combat games like War of the Roses, Chivalry and the upcoming Melee all lead their design right back to the MB series.

Last edited:
I just found another video by Worth A Buy here

seems incredibly like "mad cause bad" to me.....
it is 100% him Forcefully trying to make it look like the combat and targeting systems are bad, but in fact they are not.... funny how with close to 100 hours in the game i havent had any "targeting problems" that i can remember.... (and i have played with mouse/kb and controller both)...

Last edited:
i think the controls and the combat system are great, and i feel in full control of geralt's actions with a mouse and keyboard and a predominantly sword-oriented build on death march. In fact it's my favourite combat system right after mount & blade warband (the best medieval combat on the market, four-directional attack and block), it's simple and intuitive yet has a learning curve and is advanced enough to be heavily skill-dependent, which is most likely what makes some people rage about it.

Sounds to me like a case of 'l2p' no matter how some in the thread claim otherwise.

it's logical to assume that when the majority don't have any serious problems whatsoever and on the contrary think the combat system is excellent there's a very good chance it isn't the game that's the problem - but you that have to practice a bit more instead of throwing a fit on the forums. Or maybe the game just isn't for you - who knows.

word!

There is no real control over the character.

But wait, there is more, let's say I want to run away from combat because i am low on health or any other reason.
(even a tutorial is teaching you that sometimes it's better to run away) yet Gerald will stop and turn back just because the lock on kicks in.
And the fact you are still pressing the sprint button dose not seem to matter to him (or the developers for that matter).

Now I admit, I don't know how this game is on consoles and I did not try this game with a controller,
But to be honest I don't see how a controller would solve these problems anyway.
This combat system (with all the facts I just wrote) just sucks.
Moreover it's not that a controller is really needed, remove the restriction I mention above (most basic of games have these options yes?)
And this game could be very enjoyable. So for a PC title this game is a fu**ing joke.

The thing is, that CDPR stated so many times that the PC is the definitive version.
I read an article on PC-GAMER back in January with a level designer from CDPR,
Saying how they optimize the controls for PC and how all of them prefer to play with K+M anyway,
LOL what a flat out lie, THIS IS OPTIMIZING?? what a bad joke, it's nothing more than an after thought.
And anyone who say otherwise is either a liar or a fool.

Article link: (PC GAMER, lol, at least I know now not to trust them after reading their review)
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-level-designer-on-the-delay-pc-controls-and-world-building-2/

Other than that the game is cool and I really want to play it,
But i can't more than 10 minutes until I quit because i just can't control my character!! and it's fu**ing frustrating!!

So for me (and many many others) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE (this is a real PC review)
this game is broken and unplayable, and over all is just a mess.

And I didn't say anything about the horrible FOV or restrictive camera angles
I've made this quick video for another thread but it addresses some of your points (locking onto enemies, running in combat etc.), and there's numerous similar videos out there.

Last edited:
Doing this in the Witcher 3 always worked fine to me:

I never had any problem running away from combats I couldn't win or didn't want to participate. Yesterday I found the über Archgriffin in Skellige by accident, after having like 30 minutes of looting stuff in the sea, so when I climbed to the place where the marker was and the monster appeared, I just ran like this:

Jump included lol... I ran thought the nest area and jumped of the cliff trying to get to the sea because I didn't save the game in all the time I was looting; unfortunately for me the cliff wasn't right next to the sea, but it lead to the beach so you could say I jumped to death so I thought the result would be the same, however I could descend it without problems(just losing a lot of HP), just made sure I stayed glued to the "wall" while going down. Then I landed in the beach and got away swimming to the boat.

If the controls were as bad as you tell I wouldn't be able to escape, I'd have died right there or in many other ocasions, like making guards angry because I loot crowns from a barrel inside their camp or finding a bandit camp with high level bandits than you aren't supposed to fight at that moment.

It's just a mere inconvenience I got used to pretty soon. Annoying, yes, but far from being qualified for "breaking" the game. And I don't see how anything of that had anything to do with the platform...

Ugh... the amount of people expecting to do an Ubicrap AC-style 'I'm gonna rip everyone to shreds with 1 button' tactic, and then cry when it doesn't work.
Nothing wrong with the controls. For me, it's one of the most responsive games. I'm on PC, kb+mouse. I've rebound buttons as i wanted them, both to KB and my mouse's extra buttons, so don't say it's not possible.

As the devs said in previous interviews, 'easy to learn, hard to master'. Slow down, learn to parry (which you CAN do without locking), dodge, roll (and when to use what). Stop button mashing. Learn what button does what, and know what you want to use and how and when, and make your controls deliberate, instead of just mashing something and hoping it works. It may be hard, but it's not rocket science.
If you want to roll left, do that control and let the game do it. It's possible to play fast and slow combat. I think people just get 'button mashing happy' when things are going quickly, or you're getting hit. That's the time to stop and slow down, and regroup, and be even more deliberate on what you want.
Maybe look up some gameplay that explains combat and what your best tactics should be against what enemies. Because they mostly need different styles to be most effective.

One thing i do agree with though, is that anything low enough to be stepped over should be done so automatically. Both on foot and on horseback. It seems really hard to jump over anything while riding. Roche comes to a dead stop in front of anything, and this is the only thing that's frustrating for me, as i seem to need to press the jump button multiple times for him to actually jump the fence, for eg. I've tried pressing the space (my jump) before the obstacle, holding space, but it doesn't make any difference.
If there is a 'right (or perfect) time' needed so you don't come to a grinding halt, then i think it's far too narrow. You should be able to trot, canter and gallop, press space in front of obstacle, and continue on your way.

The combat has never been good in the witcher series, there's a reason the second ones main mod was for combat, no?. I hope modders fix the combat because it really keeps the game in the dark ages as of now.

Top Bottom