Why Two Swords?

+
Why Two Swords?

I get that in Geralt's world Witchers use 2 swords for humans/beasts and monsters respectively. I'm curious if the author of the Witcher series gave any reason why this is so. It's plausible that steel is not as effective against monsters as silver, perhaps because the latter metal may have some magical properties that make it effective against them. It's not a new plot device. For example in modern books and films it's commonly portrayed that the only way to kill a werewolf is to use a silver weapon; to kill a vampire one must drive a wooden stake through its heart; and so on.. But why can't silver be effective against humans and beasts too? Why is it that steel is preferred when fighting humans and beasts? If ti's toughness of the metal, surely some of the monsters that need a silver blade have natural armour such as thick hides?
I haven't read any of the Witcher novels so I'm wondering if this was explained somewhere in the books. I've played 1 & 3 and this was never made it clear in the games. Not that I recall anyway.

Last edited:
As much as i know silver hurts monsters like their woods burn when the get hit by it can be used on humans but first it gets bend from hitting them and and its pretty expensive because its silver

In the books was said, that both swords, are for monsters. Some monsters are vulnerable for silver, some for steel, like Frightener. Witchers usually fight with steel against humans, beacuse silver sword was more valuable than the steel one. [h=1][/h]

Swords made out of Silver would be way too soft to be used against plate armour, or for blade clashing in general. They would break, hence why steel is used VS humans, but since Silver swords are enchanted with meteorites, they are used for monsters who are magical in a way.

Guest 3847602

Hayashi.226;n8521370 said:
Hmm. What if there are monsters with hard exoskeletons?

Silver swords are only coated with silver, their core is made of steel. Pure silver is too expensive and too soft to be efficient against monsters, therefore the sword's edges are also made of steel.

Hayashi.226;n8521370 said:
Hmm. What if there are monsters with hard exoskeletons?

Witchers hit in certain vital places (between parts of armor), but it's mostly impossible to do in game, without any stopping time mechanics...

Don't remember anything in particular detail outside the fact that mixing the types of blades was more proficient at dispatching enemies.

From "The World of The Witcher" book

"Every witcher owns two blades, commonly called steel and sliver, though as I will soon explain, this terminology is an oversimplification"

"The silver sword's blade, despite popular belief, is not forged from this metal entirely. Silver is a soft metal and therefore impossible to properly sharpen. Instead, the core of the blade, as well as its edges, are made from steel coated in silver. Still the weapon remains somewhat delicate and I would definitely advise using it to parry another blade. The silver sword is chiefly used against creatures born of magic."

"It is also not true that all witcher steel swords are made from meteorite ore, which is also called siderite and often associated with magical properties. In truth, the weapons can also be made from steel smelted from magnetite ore, as well as siderite and hematite ores. Personally I prefer the first, though it is damn hard to sharpen properly, on account of it's extreme hardness. That is why a core of magnetite steel is usually sheathed in softer steel, which is easier to hone"

Finally

"A good steel blade is indeed our first line of defense against mankinds hatred, stupidity or greed. The world is full of those who would happily kill a witcher"

They do use steel for some monsters still. But the silver blade disrupts magic creatures... and isn't entirely silver

Unserious answer: Because it looks cool as hell!
Serious Answer: I think some people have it right, the silver might not be the most effective against targets like man who have Steel plating as it could blunt the blade or even damage it to a point of ill use. I do know they said that the silver blade is extra sharp but i guess its like some people use certain tools for certain situations. Probably a life style choice on the witcher's part.

Top Bottom