Why Viy must go

+
While Viy is discussed — often extensively in other threads — I find the card noisome enough to merit a separate thread. I wish to open this thread by explaining why I believe Viy must not merely be nerfed, but must be totally revamped.

My argument is twofold: first, that the card is just bad for the game, and second, that no amount of tweaking or rebalancing in its current form will make the card a positive contributor to the game. Please note I am not arguing that the card is overpowered per say, but rather that it’s power reduces the quality of Gwent in general.

So why is VIY so bad for the game? The big issue is that decent and well played VIY decks can ony be defeated by deck design measures that, against normal decks, are just bad. It is no coincidence that most competitive decks all of a sudden are packing two or even more tall punish cards — even though generally multiple tall punish cards are anti synergistic as using one reduces the probability of another having value. And it is also no surprise that as play rates of VIY decks increase, play rates of lockdown decks (the only real alternative to multiple tall punish vs. VIY) are also very high. Moreover, as Viy is basically untouchable by its opponent, there is no opportunity for interesting play and counter play. There may be deck building challenges, but there is no challenge to game play. And as it seems that very few build original decks anyway, the deck building challenge in Viy decks does not make Gwent interesting. Finally, as VIY decks must almost always push round two (usually leading to a 2-0 unless a deck is designed against Viy), it is really inappropriate on casual play.

No tweaking of values will change these fundamental flaws with Viy — as long as it is strong enough to regularly win against normal decks, players will have to take measures that would generally be poor deck design to compete with it. And as soon as normal decks are able to successfully compete with Viy, there will no reason to play Viy.

I can live with Lippy decks having 60% win rates and ST movement not far behind; these decks can be countered by good play with well designed decks. Viy cannot: hence it must go.

It's not enough to say it must go. Better to present an alternative to its current state - should it have adrenaline? should it have a cooldown, should it have its boost reduced from 3 to 2 or even to 1, should it have a provision cost increase, should it have a limit on the number of times it can be consumed (a la Detlaff)? Just saying "remove the card" doesn't help. Give some alternatives to the current state of the card.
I agree with you that the card needs to be changed (and SOON TM!!) but I'm not sure exactly what that change should be. Complete removal of the card seems overkill to me, though. I'd rather it was reworked somehow.

It's not enough to say it must go. Better to present an alternative to its current state - should it have adrenaline? should it have a cooldown, should it have its boost reduced from 3 to 2 or even to 1, should it have a provision cost increase, should it have a limit on the number of times it can be consumed (a la Detlaff)? Just saying "remove the card" doesn't help. Give some alternatives to the current state of the card.
I agree with you that the card needs to be changed (and SOON TM!!) but I'm not sure exactly what that change should be. Complete removal of the card seems overkill to me, though. I'd rather it was reworked somehow.
My argument is that no adjustments (adrenaline, provision change, initial power, change in power when it returns to hand, etc. can solve the fundamental issues with Viy. It needs to be given a different power.

The next best solution is to create a set of new cards (available to all factions) that can lock or doom cards in a deck (I think this opens a dangerous box of worms). My third suggestion would to nerf it to oblivion — make it 100 provision, power one, and give it adrenaline 1.

Actually, sarcasm aside, adrenaline might work — it would be very delicate to balance, but getting enough consumes and tutors within a small window of time might make the card interesting in play. The counter to Viy, available to “normal” decks, is then manipulating round lengths.

Last edited:
Actually, sarcasm aside, adrenaline might work — it would be very delicate to balance, but getting enough consumes and tutors within a small window of time might make the card interesting in play. The counter to Viy, available to “normal” decks, is then manipulating round lengths.
This is the only "nerf" I'd see reasonable in order to keep the card's identity and power more or less the same.
As such, giving Viy a condition of 'Adrenaline: 5' would be fair - this would somewhat limit Viy deck tempo in R1 and longer R3, but would keep the deck's power in short round scenarios.

Downside is that in general Viy decks already follow this pattern:

Round 1-4: set up thrive units and consume engines
Round 5+: start smashing Viy with tutors

Looking at things from this angle, not much would change with the introduction of Adrenaline.

i think Viy its "ok" as it is, and the win rate shows it.

The viy deck is designed all thinking in that card, and if viy changes the deck and the card are deads.

Someone remember what happens to ethereal? People blamed so much about it that devs change the card and killed it.

With Viy will happen the same, if devs nerf the card it will kill it.

And its funny, its the only good MO card in this new expansion and everyone are blaming about it. Its always the MO faction. Why not nerf Gezdras? Or kolgrim? Or Saber-tooth? Or ivar? Or keldar.

Every faction has gained good cards, but always the MO needs to be nerfed.

If you see, the SC cards are ridiculous strong and no one is blaming about them

1. Play Petri's Philter as soon as you can
  2. Play Ihuarraquax after Viy has been consumed at least once. Make sure Vattier is in your deck, not on hand.
  3. Use Petri's Philter on Vattier and lock the enemy Viy with Imposter.
  4. Seize Viy.
  5. Laugh maniacally as your opponent instantly forfeits.

And its funny, its the only good MO card in this new expansion and everyone are blaming about it. Its always the MO faction. Why not nerf Gezdras? Or kolgrim? Or Saber-tooth? Or ivar? Or keldar.

Because there are ways to play around them, they don't completely shut you down like Viy does.
The main issue with Viy is that there is NO way for you to interact with it. With the amounts of Consume that MO can put on the deck, Viy gives instant values as soon as it touches the board, and there's absolutely nothing you can about it.
As it has been said, at the moment the only viable decks to counter Viy are decks that are more or less useless against any other deck. At the moment, the simple combination of Viy + Ihuarraquax overcentralizes the game in a way that makes it literally impossible to play against it.

Rather than completely removing it, however, I think it should be appropiate to balance it. The card design is nice per se but it need a lot of fixing to make it right.
Just a few suggestions:

- Increase provision cost by to 14, and decrease the boost gained to 2. This would make deck building a bit more constrained and, in the long run, decreases the power you can get out of it.
- Decrease the boost gained to 1, and add Devotion to keep it at 3. One of the main issues with Viy is that it can be called in with an incredible number of tutors. As most of them are neutral, such a change can actually make a lot of difference in the numbers of times Viy can be brought on the board, thus lowering its power ceiling.
- Decrease the boost gained to 1, and add Adrenaline 4 to keep it at 3. Similar as above, it would still allow to get decent points, but also force the player to have a more strategic approach instead of just spamming Consumes and tutors without any punishment whatsoever.
- Add a maximum number of times that the ability can be triggered, similar to Dettlaff. 2 should be enough.
- Decrease provision cost to 10 and Banish the card at the end of the round it is played for the first time. An interesting options that would require the player to think strategically about when to use it. It would prevent the extreme carryover in the first rounds, but still allow to retain decent amount of points if played only in the last round.

2. Play Ihuarraquax after Viy has been consumed at least once. Make sure Vattier is in your deck, not on hand.
  4. Seize Viy.

Except this takes more than one turn. The issue with Viy is that you have absolutely no way to interact with it 'cause it gets consumed the moment it is played. You can not even Squirrel it, man.
In the scenario you proposed, just as you play Ihuarraquax, Viy gets consumed on the next turn. The correct order would be:

Turn 1. Play a Defender to be sure that Vattier is not killed (usually works, at least Viy decks have zero control)
Turn 2. Play Vattier
Turn 3. Play Ihuarraquax when Viy has been already consumed. Lock Viy with Imposter and Seize it with Vattier.

Last edited:
i think Viy its "ok" as it is, and the win rate shows it.

The viy deck is designed all thinking in that card, and if viy changes the deck and the card are deads.

Someone remember what happens to ethereal? People blamed so much about it that devs change the card and killed it.

With Viy will happen the same, if devs nerf the card it will kill it.

The win rate with Viy is “ok” only because people are now packing Igni, Yrden, Curse of Corruption, and Heatwave all into the same deck. Or playing NG lock/ball to lock every consume card and poison the Viy’s that get through. This is NOT healthy game play; I would much rather see Viy nerfed to oblivion than have this continue. My argument was never that Viy cannot be beaten; it was that Viy is horrible for the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree Viy is harmful to the game state, and something must be done about that.

I am sure that a simple provision adjustment wouldnt work at all. Even if it went to 15 provisions, that would only mean some small adjustments to the deck, but it would change nothing.

There are two big problems (two things that make Viy decks so strong):
-the lack of interactivity and thus, no chance to counter it, except a single faction and some fringe strategies ( i would know, i made an extensive guide on this forum on how to counter Viy a month ago).

-the tutors, and how it doesnt matter the order in which you play them. Ive played a lot of combo decks and know how hard it is when you miss a piece or are struggling with the right order... with Viy, it just doesnt matter, which makes it so easy to play, and you dont risk missing your main piece when like 1/3 of your deck are tutors for it.

I do think the addition of an 'adrenaline' condition (maybe 4) or a limited amount of uses would be enough to balance Viy and the card doesnt necessarily need the ability to be changed to deal with this situation.

Why Viy must go? Because it's literally a bug.

Jokes aside, VIy as it is is just plain stupid, in my opinion -- but only because there are so many ways to keep recycling it without it ever staying on the board before last plays in R3 (or R2).
I agree that it should be balanced rather than removed, though; its ability is unique and therefore deserves to stay at least in some form.

One solution I've seen suggested many times and that I believe could work would be to remove the interaction with Overwhelming Hunger.

4. Seize Viy.
Highroll Kingslayer into Viy. :smart:
Steal Viy from deck with one of the many tools Nilfgaard has. :smart:

My suggestion is to rework Viy as follows...

Deathwish: Shuffle Viy back to your deck
Devotion: Increase its base power by 3.

Still viable in either a devotion or neutral inclusive deck, just not nearly as oppressive.

But all in all, the latest expansion introduced far too much power-creep. Tall removal and reset cards will be a fundamental part of the game from here on out since there's always going to be a use for them.

4. Seize Viy.
Why all those steps?

Just play Ihuarraquaz and use imposter leader in the same turn.

As far as i know, one time blocked viy cannot back anymore. Of course he opponent can carry something too purefy it, but for now, the viy decks doesnt count with that

Except this takes more than one turn. The issue with Viy is that you have absolutely no way to interact with it 'cause it gets consumed the moment it is played. You can not even Squirrel it, man.
In the scenario you proposed, just as you play Ihuarraquax, Viy gets consumed on the next turn. The correct order would be:

Turn 1. Play a Defender to be sure that Vattier is not killed (usually works, at least Viy decks have zero control)
Turn 2. Play Vattier
Turn 3. Play Ihuarraquax when Viy has been already consumed. Lock Viy with Imposter and Seize it with Vattier.
Unless Vattier is your highest provision card in your deck - in that case it gets summoned at the same moment with Viy. Using Petri's Philter will grant him zeal, thus combined with Imposter you have an auto-stolen Viy.

The win rate with Viy is “ok” only because people are now packing Igni, Yrden, Curse of Corruption, and Heatwave all into the same deck. Or playing NG lock/ball to lock every consume card and poison the Viy’s that get through. .

Thats not correct and you know it.

If we see the win rate, the best leader was ursine ritual, wich 90% its lippy/cerys. And you know viy its the favorite deck to win. Also, heatwave and curse of corruption already were been used in this deck

Also, if you see the other top 5 leader no one of them carry those cards because viy.

Precision strike its natural control and already has heatwave and curse of corruption
deadeye ambush - i really cant remember using those cards in this deck
Uprising - ok, this deck has yrden or geralt on it, but its fits perfect
patricidal fury - normaly its devotion warriors

only the 6th leader - lockdown - was made by face viy (but also works well agains ursine ritual, wich is the first in the list)

So where are the decks created only to counter viy? I cant see that. The decks wich use heatwave and curse of corruption already use it before viy

Good pro players are using they decks and winning, just as that. They are note creating especifics decks to counter viy, thats bullshit.

Viy deck its in 8th in the win rate and the explanation its simple, viy its not so superb as people think. And the numbers and winrate are there to show you., if you whant to context the numbers by your personal experience you can, but you know, or should know, thats is wrong

DRK3

Forum veteran
Unless Vattier is your highest provision card in your deck - in that case it gets summoned at the same moment with Viy. Using Petri's Philter will grant him zeal, thus combined with Imposter you have an auto-stolen Viy.

I didnt bothered with Petri's Philter.
You know the Viy opponent will use Ihuarraquax too. So when he does use his, summoning your Vattier, Vattier will immediately have his order ability ready, then you use your own Ihuarraquax, Imposter leader on his Viy and seize it with Vattier.

Only way it doesnt work exactly like this is if opponent doesnt use Ihuarraquax or uses it too late and he's already way ahead in points, although if you're using NG, Vattier and Ihuarraquax, you are pretty much guaranteed to annihilate Viy.

Its quite ironic how Ihuarraquax, which is so popular on Viy decks, is also the best way to shutdown Viy early.

Or for NR, get Margarita, who is a mage with an order lock, put her down, then next turn play your Inhurversxcxzcczdcz (unicorn bastard) to get th Viy out and lock it instantly. :]
But really though... this is a bit far fetched to have those cards just for a match vs Viy.
Honestly I just think it's better to add the following text to Ihuarraquax:
If you have Viy in your deck, instantly forfeit the round.

The problem isn't that "Viy is unbeatable", the problem is that Viy is unbeatable for SOME decks, while some other decks beat it immediately. This sort of thing where the winner is decided at the queue is unacceptable and not good for the game.
But we'll see what the devs do. Viy aside this expansion was great so I trust them.

And what about something like: deathwish: strength this unit by 5
At the end of the round return this card to your deck

Top Bottom