Why were Spell Decks Nerfed?

+
Why were Spell Decks Nerfed?

Lets speak about spell decks.
Spellnilfs just removed from game with nerf impera enforces. For what? I played vs this deck just one time from obt start. It's was not OP, but it was very interesting.
Eithne deck also was not too strong, but it also get nerf. Spell scoiatael deck played in ranked just 4 days and leave it, coz good players understand how contest it.
So, developers just removed interesting archetypo from game. It's was not OP ( 51% winrate as says stats) , not popular . Last meta was worst in gwent all time ever - just 3 decks in ranked( dagon, NG, skellige) , and i think decision to remove whole concept of decks from game in this situation its not good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spellgaard is vile to play against. A deck you can't touch, barring very specific tech choices, that picks you off the board piece by piece. Who cares about the win rate, it is utterly unwholesome to play against: the point of a game is that both players have fun. Turn three hits and then out comes Enforcer, Tibor and Borkh, even more predictable than Scotland failing at football. Not fun to face at all, and been weathered and Shackled for the rest of the game to prevent me doing anything is crap.

Spelldecks are bad and prevent other Archetypes to grow in playrate. How it is fun to play against a Deck that never play a Unit and just controll the Board until the end of the turn to summon 1-2 strong units. Sure it is not op but unhealthy for the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changed the title to better reflect the content. And while on the subject...

nihil_one;n8898930 said:
Spellnilfs

*Spellgaard

nihil_one;n8898930 said:
Spell scoiatael

*Scoia'Spell

Anyhow, there isn't any counter against spell decks (other than SK with Morvarg and some shenanigans). Nevermind when you play a mirror match. That's just as hilarious as it is sad. So yeah, these decls might have been a bit too unhealthy to the game.

4RM3D;n8900800 said:

*Spellgaard

*Scoia'Spell

Anyhow, there isn't any counter against spell decks (other than SK with Morvarg and some shenanigans). Nevermind when you play a mirror match. That's just as hilarious as it is sad. So yeah, these decls might have been a bit too unhealthy to the game.

I would agree, however they are still around. The devs are probably going to have to make more big changes to weather. The devs can't nerf protectors enough so they will probably have to rework those cards completely.

This deck was broken as fack, and still is a bit, so nerf was actually very good decision.

4RM3D;n8900800 said:

*Spellgaard

*Scoia'Spell

*Spell'tael

4RM3D;n8900800 said:
isn't any counter against spell decks
I disagry, all of this deck can be defeated if you get CA , you need just 1 more card vs Eithne and card like scroch or black mirror and stuff. Against Spellgaard you need shackles in 3rd round and also CA. So gameplay against this decks is different , but still interesting. From the player requires a more thoughtful game - you need to think about how to minimize the effectiveness of spells, how to protect your units from the weather, how to competently pass and get CA. If you immediately know that in the third round we are waiting for strong bronze and something like a dragon, what's the problem to think out tactics for this fight? Personally, I really liked these games and it was nice to win in them

nihil_one;n8902220 said:
... Personally, I really liked these games and it was nice to win in them
Actually in both sides. Had a lot of fun back and forth games with my Spellgaard, in which both me and my opponent had ton of thinking and fun.

ImperatorSK;n8899300 said:
Sure it is not op but unhealthy for the game.

Perhaps they should remove all factions but 1.
They should also remove all cards and keep only 25 cards in the game. Everyone would have only these 25 cards. I'd go even further to make all those 25 cards exactly same.
That would be super balanced and fair. Fun to play too I bet.

Now on a serious note, these decks were quite managable. All you had to do was include 3-4 more cards into your deck (d-shackles, d-bomb, scorch, spores, ...)
But I guess it's easier to whine on the forums how it's OP than adapt your own deck to face them.

Last edited:
I still play a scoia'tael control (I'm fighting the brangelian phenomenon tooth and nail) Eithne deck and it was nerfed but not horribly so. The two point reduction to DBP was probably warranted. I think it was a measured and appropriate couple of steps. It's still fun to play (at least around 2000 mmr).

They should nerf the card that allows you to play a weather card even from your graveyard. And just allow you to play it from your deck.

http://prntscr.com/fjzrpt
Nice nerf . i should have been 8 strength more. In almost every game I do not count a few points. Great. Lets play only nobrain decks now. Play unit @ Buff Unit .
Your whine because spell decks is playing only with your table, but why is it normal that the skellege, unseen elder, dwarfs and almost all decks play only with their own table?

Top Bottom