Why You Should Play The Witcher One

+
Why You Should Play The Witcher One

Hello everyone ! Long, long time ago I posted my analysis of TW3 VGX trailer somewhere on this board - I got a lot of feedback from you and I thank you for that greatly. I have a better mike now and therefore decided to do a video I wanted to do for a very long time. "Why You Should Play The Witcher One" - now I imagine most of you have already played it and beaten it million of times, but every now and then there is someone out there asking the same, old question - "Should I play the first Witcher or just skip it and go the second", now you can direct them to this video ; ]

I am sure someone is gonna mention this, so I will answer here - I decided to use stills and screenshots, because my captured footage of TW1 proved to be of very bad quality and just didn't do it for me. Didn't wanna steal any gameplay from YT either ; ]

It's spoiler free if anyone wants to know. HERE is the link.

I plan to do another similar video, but this adressing the major flaws and certain issues people seem to have with the first game, like combat system and such. I will be sure to capture the gameplay correctly. I am open to all feedback you can provide. Thanks !

not really. they could basically read the wikia and get a fairly comprehensive understanding or lore and character backgrounds.

but if they don't mind low production values and more generic fantasy look, they can play it anyway.

IsengrimR

Oh, come the bloody on...:mean:
Witcher 1 is a worthwhile game on it's own, and I dare to say it is a bit better in story-telling aspect and atmosphere.
Combat system isn't the pinnacle of combat system, but it's still fun. Graphics are not top tier, sure. Whatever...

I never understood the bashfull attitudes towards Witcher 1. It's a good game with amazing story, actuall choices, nice RPG mechanics - what else do you want.
"More generic fantasy look"... Ok, give me a game that looks like Witcher 1, please. Examples. Where is that generic fantasy?
In what? Design of the buildings? Nah.
Clothes - well, peasants aren't exactlly the fashion people, I'd say.
Elves - hell, I liked the looks of Witcher 1 elves better than W2.

So, or our opinions/tastes differ much, or you are overly bashful... Or I dunno. I understand you may not like it, but if you like W2, I see no redemption over disliking the first one... only if you're, ekhem, so called, ekhem, "graphics wh... - I mean, "graphics first" - kind of person.

I agree. The Witcher 1 is an incredibly beautiful game with a great story. I don't care it is not photo-realistic. Art design is one of the best in history. It is a bit different from TW2, but these games are equally great. So whoever did not play it yet, just go and pick it up. It should be dirt-cheap right now, quite a steal for 40+ hours it easily gives.

The Witcher 1 is not just an amazing game as it is but it's incredibly beautiful.
I'm the well known "witcher guy" among the gaming and other peeps here, recently made a friend buy both the games on the last steam sale and he started off by playing TW1 and his response was, "dam this is really good, in fact better than many of the newer ones!" And these are the same guys who play Skyrim and the sorts.
So there's that ;)

There is several reasons to play witcher.

Number one: It's decent introduction to the setting, much better introduction than witcher2. It gives the player context, that in my opinion is needed to properly understand lore of the second game.

Number two: There is no other rpg like witcher1. I dare to say that tw1 was rookie release made by rookie dev but it had balls to push whole genre forward. The way it handled choices and consequences, the way it used realistic narrative in non-realistic setting instead of following beaten path of monomyth and ancient evil. The way it introduced slavic folklore. You could argue that tw2 has all that as well but i would say that it did those things differently.

Number three: It's genuinely good game. It's not best game ever, it has flaws and it's definitely not a game for impatient people, but i have never seen a person that actually finished the witcher and regretted it or considered it waste of time.

I hope i don't need to argue with buzzwords like "generic" posted above.

Last edited:
It's much Witchier.

No, really. I had a much stronger feeling of being a mercenary hunter of monsters in Witcher 1 than I did in Witcher 2. Play it for that sense of isolation and danger, of hunting creatures everyone else is afraid of, creatures you might have more in common than with those who hired you.

Play it because it's really good.

Should you play The Witcher 1 in order to understand The Witcher 3? Probably not, the wiki will cover most questions you have and if you have other questions there are the forums.

Should you play The Witcher 1? Yes, absolutely. It is a fantastic and beautiful game. Graphics aren't realistic like battlefield or as colourful as The Witcher 2 but the game is beautiful. From kaer morhen to Vizima to lakeside and the swamps, it is beautiful. Combat is a lot different. In TW1 you have to time your attacks to mouse clicks whereas in TW2 you could just click your mouse and you would perform an attack. I personally liked the combat from TW1. Another reason why you should play TW1 is the characters. TW1 has some amazing characters like Kalkstein, Vivaldi, Azar Javed, Jaevinn and Siegfried. Also you can carry your save over to TW2 so you will have a more personal playthrough.

In my opinion it is a game you should have played however the choice whether to play TW1 is up to you.

i tried to play, but i cant stand the combat system and the graphics. So i quit.
Then i read everything about the game and so i think my knowledge is enough for tw3. I also read the books.

You're missing out. You truly are.

Personally I never understood the phrase 'need to play' as something you force yourself to do. Playing a truly great game like Witcher 1 isn't something forced, whatever your issue with tech or system layout. These things you get used to and then have a great experience.

Of course our beloved devs say, quite diplomatically, that you needn't to play previous installments to understand the next. And this is probably true, They make it so that you can jump right up on Roach and ride away towards that horizon.

But, you're still missing out if you do. A lot. The atmosphere, the characters and story of Witcher 1. The scenes! As soon as I start up Witcher 1 my hands tremble and I feel at home. It's that good. :)

I had several attempts at playing TW1 before I actually started to like it. I don't think that anyone should feel they NEED to play it in order to enjoy the later games, after all, there's plenty here who started on TW2 and either never played TW1, or played it later.

But I do think that, if you've already bought the game, you should give it a couple of hours to see if you settle in. It does take some getting used to, and you may find that you start to like it. And if you don't, it's only a couple of hours lost.

I've only completed it once, i've aborted many times halfway through, but that's still more often than I normally play a game. I love the game, everything about it, the combat gets tedious after a while, but thats a common problem in games, and not a hard criticism.

Great vid @Luxorek and very well delivered with excellent english, if I had a criticism of that it would simply be, could you pronounce CD Projekt as you normally would... ? I'm a believer in sounding proper nouns as they would in their own country.... New Orleans, Himalayas, etc... it's just I'm trying to pronounce it correctly when I speak it, would be helpful if more people did.

A minor matter, perhaps i'm being pedantic, but I see it as a sign of respect.

I think I'm of the minority that actually enjoyed the combat. When I think about it, I can't really find anything special or creative about it... but still, I was excited everytime I entered a big battle in Witcher 1.

Great vid @Luxorek and very well delivered with excellent english, if I had a criticism of that it would simply be, could you pronounce CD Projekt as you normally would... ? I'm a believer in sounding proper nouns as they would in their own country.... New Orleans, Himalayas, etc... it's just I'm trying to pronounce it correctly when I speak it, would be helpful if more people did.

Hahaha, thanks ! Nice to hear that my English is good. Honestly, it never crossed my mind to pronounce CD Projekt the way the devs do, at least the Polish ones - hmm... maybe because the words aren't inherently Polish in origin and it just sounds weird to me. But you asked, so I in my next vid I will be sure to pronounce CD Projekt that way.

hmm... maybe because the words aren't inherently Polish in origin and it just sounds weird to me. .
A good point I hadn't considered. Still, they are making it their own, and english speakers should be challenged by wider pronounciation sometimes :p

Pronouncing words properly in a situation like that feels awkward and it ruins the flow of speech. Even though I speak English fluently enough, I still use the inaccurate pronounciation of English words when speaking in my native language.

Bottom line is: pronounce it the way you feel comfortable, people will always have different opinions.

yeah CDPR is shortcut from Centrum Dystrybucyjne (Dystybucji) Projekt: RED ( There was CDPB(LUE) which distribute games- now its CDP..pl):
-Centrum dystrybucji: Distribution Centre, but for many years CDPR doeasnt explain it ,and because they were one of the first distributors of CD-rom in poland everyone think it should prounance like english CD.
-projekt- project
- and english word RED(pl:Czerwony) so its even more confusing for us native polish speakers cause we dont have such a word.

co do filmiku: świetna robota, nie wiedząc ktoś ty, nie miałbym pojecia żes polak, ładny akcent :)

Last edited:
co do filmiku: świetna robota, nie wiedząc ktoś ty, nie miałbym pojecia żes polak, ładny akcent :)

A dziękuję, dziękuję. Słowa pochwały od rodaka zawsze mile widziane : ] Jestem jeszcze kompletnym laikiem jesli chodzi o składanie filmików, ale z czasem na pewno przyjdzie doświadczenie.

Top Bottom