Will CDPR ever respond to lack of RPG Mechanics and lack of choices?

+
Arcanum was the same,Vampire Bloodlines the same,Temple of elemental evil the same... cuts towards the end-.
Still, the mechanics in it allowed me to basically bypass whole sections of combat/stealth in one of the last quests because I had that freedom of character building... another player could have gone full combat,another full stealth... same "global" story, individual player story.
I see what you mean. Yeah, that makes sense.

Guest 4439558

CDPR promise.png

So they are not working on this anymore? [...] :( 60€ Gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking a game is subjective, yes. Bugs are not. Bugs indicate the software is broken in some way. It was designed, or coded, to do X. If X isn't the result then the software has a failing somewhere. Your earlier post was talking about massive games having issues. Massive games involve a lot of bugs because they are released objectively broken.

Yes, it's fair to call it normal. Most software is objectively broken in some way. Games are frequently bugged and display unintended behavior under the right circumstances. Errors exist in the code. A lot of moving parts and great room for error. Writing this off as subjective is disingenuous. It's also fair to say mileage varies here. Some developers push out buggier software compared to others on a routine basis.

I'd point out, none of this had anything to do with the thread topic. Quite a bit of the posts do not. Comments on the game reception, bugs, what is or is not objective or subjective. It's all off topic.
The conversation is not focused on bugs. We're talking about the ''...lack of RPG mechanics and lack of choices..."

Let's go down analogy lane again:

1.) I order a hamburger and fries. The chef gives me a pizza with fries. This is "bug".
2.) I order a hamburger and fries. The chef gives me a hamburger with no fries. This is "bug".
3.) I order a hamburger and fries. The chef gives me a hamburger with potato chips. This is a "bug."

Complaints like these are things like: "The game crashes at this point." Or, "This perk isn't activating when it should, and it's doing the wrong damage." Or, "This quest is broken -- the NPC cannot be interacted with." This is all objectively verifiable.

The focal complaint in this thread and the arguments presented are different. Here, the analogy goes:

4.) I order a hamburger and fries. The chef gives me a cooked beef patty between two buns topped with lettuce, tomato, and mayo, and there's a side of shoestring fries. Well -- the burger is not thick enough! And the fries aren't curly fries! And there are no pickles! This isn't even really a burger!

Ahhh...nope. That's not something that needs to be answered. If that's really how disappointed someone is with the burger, they can return it to the kitchen. If they eat it anyway and still don't like it, then they'll need to go somewhere else that makes burgers the way they prefer.

And? I personally think the thread topic makes a valid point. As a concept many minor +/- bonuses spread all over progression, the specific perk construction, plethora of item clones in the gearing/itemization, etc. is a little uninspired. As a player I am not impressed. I do not look at such systems and think "these are the type of mechanics I like to see". Subjectively it's not a good concept.

More to the topic, if such a system is the best case scenario then I could see simplifying these systems. Reducing the quantity within them. Streamline the progression, gearing, itemization and various other areas. Place further resources into the story, characters and cinematic elements. Alternatively, retool this extra cost into further testing.

"Better" mechanics would be the ideal, yes. Subjectively better mechanics. But.... this isn't the topic. It's not the choice being posed. The topic is setting the status quo as the limit. The "best" mechanics we can hope are those provided in CP. Again, from a subjective viewpoint.

As a response to the take it or leave it comment.... You're correct. Nobody is forced to play the game. Nobody is forced to buy it either. Nor are they forced to buy the next game or the one after that. When you consider the implications here it should be clear why one player telling another to take it or leave it is self-defeating.
Exactly. I think people are simply having trouble with that reality. Yup, there are lots of negative reviews about the game for this or that reason. There are also lots of people that like the same, exact things other people are criticizing. Of course, CDPR listens to feedback and considers whether or not making changes that are in high demand can be done. Even if they can be done, though, it can simply cause too many issues in other areas of the game to implement. Other times, it's simply not in line with the design of the game.

Hence, thinking that one's own, subjective preferences, being extremely popular, had better be humored or else it's a sign that the devs are "making mistakes" or "not fulfilling their promises" is entirely based in the fallacy of foregone conclusion. That's not how it works. Here's how it works:

Devs make a game. People give feedback. Devs decide what to do next, then do it. People decide whether they want to buy the next thing or not. If so -- hope they enjoy it! If they have any feedback, return to the beginning of this paragraph. If they simply choose not purchase it, that's understandable! They'll be welcome back any time if they change their minds! Take care!

Everyone is always welcome to leave feedback. Everyone is free to enjoy a game or completely hate it. Anyone that thinks someone owes them something because they disliked the results can get a refund. That's the end of it. Anything else is overstepping. No one owes anyone anything else because they didn't like a game, film, book, etc.

Guest 4439558

It's kinda impressive how bad this game actually is. It looks and sounds beautiful and thats everything it has to offer...
The story is awfully written. There are mistakes or just really bad decisions everywhere. There are no advanced rpg elements.
NCPD still teleporting all over the map and AI in general still insane bad, no gang system, no metro, no transmog, visual glitches and other bugs everywhere.
It has a overall bad performance and it's a joke on last gen.

Coming when it's ready? Sure...

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 11302672

turned out as "our vision" - all these thesis were and still are major points why the game got such hard backlashed feedback...
"promises" which were advertised super bold and a with lot of cash used but hasn't been delivered up until 2day - hopefully they can stick to these promises/visions in the further franchise progress - we all know the potential is given...

View attachment 11302672

There is no doubt in my mind that they wanted to do that but that game would take 10 years to make with tech working perfectly. It's just not feasible. The game although announced in 2012 didnt go into full production until 2017. It really was a rushed production. Shame.

Hence, thinking that one's own, subjective preferences, being extremely popular, had better be humored or else it's a sign that the devs are "making mistakes" or "not fulfilling their promises" is entirely based in the fallacy of foregone conclusion. That's not how it works. Here's how it works:

mhm sorry if their "promises" are the base of their years of promotion - its exactly how it should work. people didn't build these points on their imagination but of cdprs words. still funny to see that people critics are claimed as "subjective preferences" - that's laughable. especially if they already proofed that they can do it way better like in Witcher 3.

Last edited:
RPG mechanics are non existent as well, in any RPG the strive for better loot and upgrades is a must, that does not exist in this game whatsover. The combat is a poor shooter with enemies that provide no challenge at all, and stealth is too OP which negates any leveling up. The game should should have had turn based combat with deep RPG mechanics. This is just first person GTA.

I may be in the minority here and say that RPG equals playing a role (you know, its a role-playing game). Which means that I need to have options to actually express different type of responses in dialog that make the character I am playing - ME. Make it feel that I have some input and choice in the matters. Just reading from a single predetermined script is not it.

But yea, CP2077 fails to deliver on this front as well (as does Witcher 3).

I am opposed to the game developer idea that RPG equals only skill and gear progression. Sure, it makes sense that there is some, but its not the ONLY thing.

CP2077 has a handful of missions and stories which are well crafted and nice, but too much of it is just filler which forgets the basic premises of a roleplaying game. Mechanically created missions that are no better than the procedurally generated content that CDPR has always despised.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here and say that RPG equals playing a role (you know, its a role-playing game). Which means that I need to have options to actually express different type of responses in dialog that make the character I am playing - ME. Make it feel that I have some input and choice in the matters. Just reading from a single predetermined script is not it.

But yea, CP2077 fails to deliver on this front as well (as does Witcher 3).

Uhh, how?

How did CP77 fail at providing dialogue choices? If that's what you meant?

I mean, the game is out there, so is the evidence. Outside the very few main story missions the dialogue quality drops tremendously.

This was painfully obvious in Witcher 3, where dialogue options(outside the few main story missions) followed same formula:
1. yes
2. no
3. tell me more
There was nothing else to it. Go ahead and take any dialogue almost. It follows this basic formula unless its one of the main missions that have cutscenes.

CP2077 doesnt have such a blatant formula, but on the flipside the dialogue quality and V's motives vary tremendously. Its like V is a different person in different missions.

Few times I watched Pawel Sasko stream CP2077, he ONLY played the main story missions. Portray the game in best possible light or possibly avoid the embarrassment that is the rest of the game.

I mean, the game is out there, so is the evidence. Outside the very few main story missions the dialogue quality drops tremendously.

This was painfully obvious in Witcher 3, where dialogue options(outside the few main story missions) followed same formula:
1. yes
2. no
3. tell me more
There was nothing else to it.

CP2077 doesnt have such a blatant formula, but on the flipside the dialogue quality and V's motives vary tremendously. Its like V is a different person in different missions.

Few times I watched Pawel Sasko stream CP2077, he ONLY played the main story missions. Portray the game in best possible light or possibly avoid the embarrassment that is the rest of the game.
I see.

To be honest
This isn't a RPG game

We get to decide V's look
But

We are playing CDPR's V in CDPR's story.

We cannot deviate from the story and are forced down the path without a choice to venture outside of it.

We can choose the tools we use and how we implement them but your choices there don't effect anything either

Its just a flashy dress up story.

We pick our pretty clothes and pretty toys and frolick through their book. Knowing in the end nothing you really did will help their V out in the end
Yeah the shallowness of story RPGness is depressing
Playing through for the first time i was concerned about the limits of control of V as the game progressed. Things like romances did give a sense of personalisation and i had hopes for personal choice in the endings, which could have made the shallowness elsewhere bearable. However, instead you have a rooftop mission choice that is used to run roughshod over those limited personal choices including romances you might have made earlier in the game.

Last edited:
Asserting without demonstrating :)

How does shooting random people in the street support the story and characters of Cyberpunk ?
Because that's the main gameplay of C2077 : killing people, or neutralising them discreetly, in order to gain XP, looting their corpses and surrounding areas to recover equipment, dismantling or reselling some of it, and then starting again. And driving from point A to point B between two killings, between one gig and another (even more so since 1.5). I'm talking about gameplay, the player's actual interactions with the game, what he does by playing the game, not anything else.

The narrative wants us to sympathise with V's plight, but through the gameplay, V comes across more as an overarmed sociopathic murderer without whom the mortality of Night City would drastically decrease. (Of course, that doesn't concern main story nor the players who make a point of not killing anyone, of playing non-lethally, but there is more in the game than that, just as there is more than just the main story (only 15-20h out of 80-100h playthrough) and the quests that are intimately linked to it.) Between two discussions with Judy, my V killed at least a hundred people. :oops:I think C2077 is a good shooter, so I enjoy it.

I sincerely believe you're confusing two different games, narrative dissonance is what you're referring to. This is present in most every game with a focus on narrative to one extent or another (worst case scenario the new Tomb Raider games - which I really like I might add).

In Cyberpunk 2077 you can quite literally finish the game without killing anyone, you can play V however you want, violence is not the only course of action.

Now that the story beats don't align with a mass murderer V that's another take all together, there's very few games witch accommodate such a play style.

I also agree that it would be nice to get certain acknowledgements when it comes to gameplay styles, like stealthing a mission vs mass murdering everyone.

I sincerely believe you're confusing two different games, narrative dissonance is what you're referring to. This is present in most every game with a focus on narrative to one extent or another (worst case scenario the new Tomb Raider games - which I really like I might add).

In Cyberpunk 2077 you can quite literally finish the game without killing anyone, you can play V however you want, violence is not the only course of action.

Now that the story beats don't align with a mass murderer V that's another take all together, there's very few games witch accommodate such a play style.

I also agree that it would be nice to get certain acknowledgements when it comes to gameplay styles, like stealthing a mission vs mass murdering everyone.
I was a bit surprised there were no Humanity stat ingame. Seems too be a huge thing in the Pnp CP. Also its kinda interesting that theres noway too go cyberpsycho witch i guess would be linked too that stat. Also i was disappointed that theres no charm like stat, talk your way trough some quests atleast. You can do so with some assassination quests but you still have too stealth trough them(or murder all exept the target i guess). Would be nice with some more ways too solve some quests the whole go in take this gets kinda boring after awhile. Infiltration trough disguises and so on would be cool in some missions.

Think it would make the game feel more RPGish or perhaps more like Deus ex i guess.

I like the Game and the Story. Awesome Characters and plenty of Choices I can make to form my personal V.

I was a bit surprised there were no Humanity stat ingame.
Yeah this was one of my biggest mechanical gripes about the game from a 10,000 foot view. I get why it's not a specifically tracked stat, but I do think there should be some sort of empathy / overly borged consequence.

The problem is that the natural answer is you start taking away dialogue options and the story choices that are more empathetic or caring for a really borged character. Such a mechanic would have likely been controversial. I would have liked it ... but I doubt everyone would have. It would also remove a lot of potential quest-line choices. I had a post somewhere in the netherrealm that dealt with a social stat...

Top Bottom