Will Cyberpunk 2077 have support for Nvidia's new Ray Tracing?

+
The game already looks incredible, but I honestly think that with the RTX's new ray tracing technology the colours would pop a whole lot more than they currently do. The real time shading of the many different neon lights during the night could really set an excellent mood for the game, as it also could in many other scenarios.

What are your guys' thoughts on it? Would you like to see real time ray tracing in cyberpunk 2077?

Hm? Ray-tracing is a technique used to generate accurate 3D models. Has nothing to do with colors.

Were you referring to HDR tech?

(D'oh! I was thinking "laser scanning"...not "ray tracing". :oops:)

Last edited:
Hm? Ray-tracing is a technique used to generate accurate 3D models. Has nothing to do with colors.

Were you referring to HDR tech?
You might be mistaken or thinking of something else. Nvidia's Ray Tracing tech is used for lighting, reflections, etc, not models.

To OP - I hope so! But I won't be buying an RTX card for some time, if ever.

Was thinking the same. It would be awesome to see that during night time! I was a bit surprised that the gameplay reveal didn't show the nighttime. I would have thought that with so many neon lights and ad banners that would have been very visually appealing and one of main attraction to play at night.

The sad part is that while the technology does look amazing, it might not work that great performance wise until after a few generations of RTX cards.

"than they currently do" - which imho is A LOT ! To me that was the highlight tbh. I hope they don't tone down the light sources and the particles because that's what makes the look of the game, they look amazing!

You might be mistaken or thinking of something else. Nvidia's Ray Tracing tech is used for lighting, reflections, etc, not models.

To OP - I hope so! But I won't be buying an RTX card for some time, if ever.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to resort to selling a kidney just to have an RTX card in my rig. So I'll definitely be waiting it out as well I'm afraid, haha.
Post automatically merged:

Was thinking the same. It would be awesome to see that during night time! I was a bit surprised that the gameplay reveal didn't show the nighttime. I would have thought that with so many neon lights and ad banners that would have been very visually appealing and one of main attraction to play at night.

The sad part is that while the technology does look amazing, it might not work that great performance wise until after a few generations of RTX cards.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing! I honestly would've loved to see some night gameplay as well. But then again, since everything's so work in progress at the moment, I can understand them holding off on it.

True.. I would love it if Nvidia would release some performance comparisons already. In some videos they claim it to be more effective than traditional methods, but they never specify in what way.

And if it's true that the new 2080TI can only run ray tracing at 1080p 60FPS, I'm afraid we're in for a world of hurt with those massive crowds they showed off in that gameplay reveal..

Last edited:
ray tracing tech can be added over the old and people can switch between still game will benefit immensely visually

Okay so ill take 5 min to write what i think every pragmatic person would say:
Evidence points out to not a great performance in games taking advantage of ray-tracing. For two reasons; one is that everything you've seen up till now was rushed through for gamescom, they are not built from the ground up for it (cyberpunk is rasterized as well for now at least). Second is even with the 2080ti power Tomb Raider for example was running 40fps 1080p (granted not optimized), the technology is in its infancy and the first gen rtx is obv not gonna perform as gpus could later.

That being said i believe you could build a case to see it in cyberpunk in some way :
1) relationship between CDPR and nvidia: when the witcher 3 got released it had all the nvidia bells and whitles. Not a lot of games in this generation shipped supporting hairworks, in fact just a handful. So i think you could believe them continuing this relationship, cyberpunk is gonna be one of the last big games of this gen of consoles and, one of the first of the next, and it'll do very very well on pc. nvidia needs games to showcase this technology.
2) building a game for the future: even if the technology is not up to par when the game is released, cdpr can implement it so cyberpunk stands the test of time. A bit like the Crysis IP who were really taxing on hardware on max settings but still look good years after. If ray tracing really is the future the industry be it nvidia, amd or intel (2020 onwards) will be producing gpus with ray tracing capabilities. The tech is gonna come down to the masses being more affordable and the majority will be able to enable it.
3) you can implement ray tracing in many ways. Tomb Raider has raytraced shadows, Battlefield V chose to go another route.
So there is a lot of things that are possible.

That being said, the rtx suite is not only raytracing. There's also the new DLSS antialiasing (ty @sv3672 ). Maybe other things i dont remember. And do not forget that raytracing although nvidia is pushing for it, the markets decide ultimately. Many new technologies didnt stand the test of time. Maybe this is too early for ppl to accept it. Maybe also it would take cdpr too much work to make their game fully ready for it and prefer to invest their resources towards a more efficient direction.
Lol it took me longer than 5 mins but i hope it was worth it.

edit: i agree with the other posts before i just wanted to include all that came to mind and articulate it the best i could.

Last edited:
RTX may or may not be supported, but at least the DLSS feature introduced with the same cards does not look too hard to implement, and it would give better frame rate at 4K resolution.

Guest 4211861

In the end, I don't care.

I've followed some tech guys recently and they seem to have a very good opinion of Ray-tracing, but honestly, the game looks amazing as it is, so it doesn't need any more visual detail, it's great enough.

No, I am not buying RTX cards, I think they're an expensive boondoggle with shady, dubious advertisement.

Yes that's Nvidia's new thing on RTX, the game will most certainly support it. If it actually adds anything in terms of image quality will be debatable.

It has the potential to be cool tho, you'll see reflections from lights on V's head which otherwise wouldn't be possible with screenspace effects

The city environment does have many reflective surfaces that could look better than with the usual cube maps.

I think the new RTX / Ray tracing technology is interesting to say the least. But I have never been one to jump on the band wagon where new tech comes available. I always sit back and watch, see how it works before I make a decision to try it or not. More often then not, the new tech is often buggy and has problems that need to sorted out before it is stable. One has to remember...'It's all about the money folks!'. As a former professional in two tech fields, I have seen this way too often, products being released before they were actually ready and the headaches that ensued afterwards, especially in a commercial environment. Better off to wait. ;)

Where this game is concerned, I would guess when it is eventually released, ray tracing would probably be supported. In my case, watching the preview on an GeForce 980 Ti and on an old monitor that can only give me a 1920 X 1080 @ 60 Hz I am not terribly concerned about RTX, not now anyway. Even so, the preview looked beautiful even on my old equipment. I do intend to upgrade to a Zotac GTX 1080 Ti this Fall and with luck, purchase a new monitor (32 Inch) with higher resolution and refresh rate. Right now, RTX / ray tracing is new and I'll wait, I'm more concerned about upgrading to 4K for my work and gaming. My bigest concern with this game is will it able to play on Win 7 or not, and since the requirements have not been released yet (that I know of) we'll just have to wait and see, even where ray tracing is concerned. :unsure:

Don't care much for RT. During Nvidia's RTX gameplay preview, they were using a great pc that could barely keep 30+fps on games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. With the benchmarks 'leaked' and indicating that the new 2080ti founder's edition is hardly even 40% better than the 1080ti founder's edition (where the 1080ti FE was close to 80% better than the 980ti FE), considering those factors, I see no point in getting an RTX card.

That being said. If I had an RTX card and if Cyberpunk supports RT, I still wouldn't use it as the performance drop is just too significant for me to enjoy it. In the future when the cards can support RT and not have a serious performance loss, then totally, but not today.

I've never been one to embrace new technological advancements right away, so I don't care for RTX either.

And tbh if the game does come with support for it, and I happen to have a card that supports it, I'll disable it. Same thing as with HairWorks; not worth the performance hit.

I've never been one to embrace new technological advancements right away, so I don't care for RTX either.

And tbh if the game does come with support for it, and I happen to have a card that supports it, I'll disable it. Same thing as with HairWorks; not worth the performance hit.

I tend to follow a similar logic...instead of embracing the latest and greatest I go with the previous iteration. Not only does it offer a better price point but I suffer less bugs and conflicts and better optimization in games. I'm not too interested in paying a big chunk of cash to end up feeling like a beta tester.

Top Bottom