Will Cyberpunk be too Pessimistic about the future?

+
I think transhumanism is an idea that is inherently tossed about in a cyberpunk setting, but not by the protagonists so much. I wouldn't call it the flip side at all, I would perhaps call it what the rich think about it. I'm assuming that the CP2077 wealthy class would be totally into transhumanism and tell each other how great they are by having all these implants that allow them to outdo each other and become more than human in all kinds of neat ways. Even a hacker with a math co-processor installed in his brain or a mercenary with a cyberlimb is technically becoming more than human through technology, he just might not feel like he has a choice.

I think transhumanism is an idea that is inherently tossed about in a cyberpunk setting, but not by the protagonists so much. I wouldn't call it the flip side at all, I would perhaps call it what the rich think about it. I'm assuming that the CP2077 wealthy class would be totally into transhumanism and tell each other how great they are by having all these implants that allow them to outdo each other and become more than human in all kinds of neat ways. Even a hacker with a math co-processor installed in his brain or a mercenary with a cyberlimb is technically becoming more than human through technology, he just might not feel like he has a choice.
I can't disagree with that actually. That's a pretty good explanation.

In short though, I view Transhumanism as Cyberpunk with a lack of "Punk".

I have to thank you, Chris, for giving me reason to learn transhumanism as a philosophy better. I think it would be really powerful to exhibit that kind of thinking by powerful NPCs in the CP2077 setting to provide the contrast necessary to make cyberpunk feel more real. Imagine some famous guy on a video ad speaking about how great his new cyberlimb is, demonstrating all the neat things he can do with it with a smile on his face, while you were forced to replace your arm with a similar model just to stay competitive enough to survive on the streets and take what advantages you can get.

Now that is a good example of the crossover between Cyberpunk and Transhumanism. From one perspective, sais arm is being used as a tool to get an edge over the competition. On the other hand, the guy in the ad has got the arm to further himself, it's an advancement, part of his cybernetic evolution.

Of course, the ad makes for a decidedly Cyberpunk flavour though.

Scifi is just a mirror of the present, the happy Jetsons scifi of the 50s 60s and 70s was optimistic because technology was making life easier (washing machines, microwaves, ect.) and space was steadily being conquered. Cyberpunk as a sub genre came about around the recession of the early 80s, a mirror of a pessimistic present. Space exploration stopped, youth wore things and behaved in ways that wouldn't have been conceivable pre-sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll-revolution, new drugs plagued society, computers became practical and common while technology exploded into every facet of live.

Today we have our own recession and fucked up world, and pessimistic themes like post apocalyptic and cyberpunk are making a revival. It's psychologically what we want and a perfect time to introduce 2077, which will probably be like the grandson of the old cyberpunk. Different and modern but with the same blood running through its veins. Tackling today's idea of tomorrow rather than the 80's, however equal in hope they maybe.

Scifi is just a mirror of the present,

Now, I've heard people use this line a few times and I have never agreed with it fully. I feel the term is inaccurate. I have, however, thought of a different analogy:

Sci-Fi is a view of the future through the eyes of the relative present.

And yes, CDPR have pretty much confirmed that the 80's vibe will not be present. At least to the same extent as it was in 2020.

Top Bottom