Will Modding Ever be Supported / Even Allowed under the EULA?

+
As someone who wants to create mods for cyberpunk these two sections particularly worry me in the game's EULA:

e) Hacking and Cheating. Do not create, use, make available and/or distribute cheats. By cheats we mean things like exploits, automation software, robots, bots, hacks, spiders, spyware, scripts, trainers, extraction tools or other software that interact with or affect Cyberpunk 2077 in any way (including any unauthorised third party programs that collect information about Cyberpunk 2077 by reading areas of memory used by Cyberpunk 2077 to store information).
. . .
d) Technical Misuse. Do not modify, merge, distribute, translate, reverse engineer, or attempt to obtain or use source code of, decompile or disassemble Cyberpunk 2077 unless you are specifically allowed by applicable law.

Why wouldn't cheating be allowed in a singleplayer game? I understand cyberpunk apparently has some multiplayer functionality planned... but why not put a stipulation around multiplayer mods in particular, and allow players to still make any mods they wish to the singleplayer game? Certainly a god mode, or even something as subtle extra perk/experience/attributes, would be mods that might appeal to players but could still be classified as "cheating".

In addition, without any official method of mod support, it seems like "reverse engineering" (i.e. creating mods that straight up patch the binary executable files) is the only way to do certain types of mods. Certainly many community-made bugfix mods would require this, and given how buggy this game is, it seems like mods are the exact thing this game needs to stay alive long-term.

As far as I can tell, the EULA seems to be very much against any and all modding, for a company that prides itself on having "DRM-free" everything. After all, if there isn't an official mod loader for cyberpunk, even superficial mods (replacing game content, textures, declarative quest content) seem like they would require third-party tools, and might be classified as attempting to "decompile or disassemble Cyberpunk 2077."

Is this a valid interpretation of the EULA? And do you think there will be any hope for official modding support/tools from CDPR? I think Cyberpunk 2077 of all games needs this mod support to stay alive as a game long-term.

Keive

Forum regular
I got this on PC for mods. So that be disappointing. I really want more and better character creation options but guess it has to be official if that ever would be added in the future... man

that looks like the standard EULA for most games, Even Bugthesda's looks similar, EULA's are subject to change, so keep an open mind about modding, the game isn't even a week old, wait for the patches and fixes first, then maybe a few months down the line, things will change.

There's also this in the EULA, though the fan guidelines on modding still seem to not allow cheating, and defer to the EULA as far as rules go; it seems like, even if modding will be allowed, CDPR has a stick up their choo2 tank about cheating in a singleplayer game:

There are some more rules to follow if you want to play Cyberpunk 2077. Please read the rules below and the Fan Content Guidelines, since failure to follow them will be considered a ‘material breach’ of this Agreement, which could lead to suspension and/or termination of your access to Cyberpunk 2077. In particularly serious cases we retain the right to prohibit your future access to Cyberpunk 2077 and our other games and services.

Fan guidelines:

Mods. We’re happy for you to make mods for our games (i.e. software that modifies or works with our games – e.g. changing the UI or adding new mechanics) so long as it doesn’t breach the relevant game’s EULA (e.g. no cheating – this is especially important for GWENT!). If you want to make a mod for another game or service using our content, or make the mod a standalone product, ask us in advance via legal@cdprojektred.com (we just don’t want the next Soulkiller virus).

According to the Cyberpunk 2077 EULA modding the game is against the rules and changing things like stats could lead to your copy of the game being taken away from you.
Fore example if you decide you don't want an attribute limit to your character it could be considered cheating and can result in them taking away your game. I am a person who like playing around with my stats in single player games and testing out my build and this essentially allows them to revoke my copy if they want. I would like to remind you that this is a single player game.

View attachment 11075228

Section e) in particular even outlaws absolutely benign software like trainers. Trainers. In a single player game. What the fuck, CDPR? When did they start sucking so hard? I guess life imitates art, the authoritarian, controlling natures of corpos in particular, huh? Depriving people of their purchased copies because they wanna buff their stats (let alone improve their experience by using amazing mods) in a single player game? What rationale could possibly be behind such draconian restrictions?

FYI, I'm 99% the EULA for The Witcher 3 looks exactly the same, did it prevent mods, cheats, trainers and such for it, nope, don't worry about this, as long as you keep it to the singleplayer side of things, I wouldn't worry about that, there's already trainers out for Cyberpunk 2077 and I plan to use them as soon as I'M stuck somewhere, I have bad eyevision in real life so cheating is sometimes my only way to beat certain parts of a game because I can't shoot like I should even if I want to, I paid for the game, its a single player (right now) who's gonna be on my ass for cheating in my own damn gameplay of a singleplayer game.

d) Technical Misuse. Do not modify, merge, distribute, translate, reverse engineer, or attempt to obtain or use source code of, decompile or disassemble Cyberpunk 2077 unless you are specifically allowed by applicable law.

Here's Fallout 4 terms:
g) Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part;
(h) Remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels contained on or within the Software; and/or
src: https://store.steampowered.com/eula/377160_eula_0

The issue is CP2077 is new and a new engine and it'll take a while for modders to learn how it works and share that info with each other. If CDPR is smart they won't pursue modders at all, as modders can not only make your game but they can break your game. By make I mean they can literally spend time to fix bugs, like FO4 modders created some massive 250+ bug fix patch.

Odds are that term is there to cover them in case someone tries to re-sell parts of the game.

I really hope they give full mod support. That's one huge thing i was looking forward to. It's a singleplayer game so where's the harm?

I'd love to see mods add new guns (M4, AK, maybe some exotic stuff), cuz the in-game arsenal is cool but entirely unique guns so there's not a huge roster. I'd also like to see more character customization options cuz the character creator turned out to be kinda disappointing.

If there is even a sliver of common sense left in CDPR the multiplayer side will be a completely separate install to single player.

If the multiplayer aspect of the game is added eventually then I hope modding is actively stomped out and walled off from this game. Modders and cheaters plague too many online games.

If the multiplayer aspect of the game is added eventually then I hope modding is actively stomped out and walled off from this game. Modders and cheaters plague too many online games.
GTA Online is unplayable on PC because of modders that can piss off players so much, hell in 2020 they can even grab your cars from your garage, stole them and delete them forever, same with your properties, so its not fun anymore, they deleted my yacht in april, and its not back, I miss the time I was on my PS3 enjoying the GTA Online, I had high hopes they would do something to stop the modders on PC eventually but 5 yrs after release, nothing was done, main flaw is they choose a P2P protocol for the online system that isn't even encrypted between players, that works fine on consoles since hacking is extremely hard for sure but on PC its BS. Sorry to be so off topic, I hope we get a better experience in Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer, the main thing I want is separate PVP players from the od ones like me that hate PVP and prefer cooperation.

According to the Cyberpunk 2077 EULA modding the game is against the rules and changing things like stats could lead to your copy of the game being taken away from you.
Fore example if you decide you don't want an attribute limit to your character it could be considered cheating and can result in them taking away your game. I am a person who like playing around with my stats in single player games and testing out my build and this essentially allows them to revoke my copy if they want. I would like to remind you that this is a single player game.

View attachment 11075228

How would that even work?

Im asking out of curiosity, I don't like cheating in games, in any way, but how can they even remove your copy of the game for cheating...in a single-player game? that doesn't make any sense, I thought all gog games are DRM-free and etc..

Im thinking this is just a general multi-purpose EULA

How would that even work?

Im asking out of curiosity, I don't like cheating in games, in any way, but how can they even remove your copy of the game for cheating...in a single-player game? that doesn't make any sense, I thought all gog games are DRM-free and etc..

Im thinking this is just a general multi-purpose EULA

I don't think they can, its just exactly a generic EULA for sure, in multiplayer, yeah for sure they can ban your account and block your game, but in singleplayer, I doubt it.

Top Bottom