Will not buy CD project Red game day one ever again.

+
Will not buy CD project Red game day one ever again.

Enough is enough of this Witcher 3 hype and praise. Don't get me wrong it is a great game but everybody is fooling there selves if they think it is Game of the Year Material.

Lets start off with the combat. I am Level 79 and yet have I enjoyed any part of the combat system. Anybody who says the combat is fine have obviously haven't played Bloodborne or Dark Souls series. The combat is downright disgusting.

Another reason I will not touch Cyberpunk for at least a year after release is the patches. My god the patches!!!. 1.22 on PS4. That means there is 22 different iterations of patches for this game and not only is that sad the patches have made the game worse especially with 1.22. Stuttering every 10 seconds, Stuttering when saving, Music not playing, Floating bodies, LOD is worse now, Roach is still dumb as hell, many many other glitches and bugs that break the immersion factor constant. So much so I just keep waiting for patch after patch hoping I get a solid game. Shouldn't it be solid after 22 freaking patches!!!

Bottom-line I will wait for another patch before I see if I can enjoy Blood and Wine. I am a die hard Fantasy RPG nut and i happen to like Witcher 3 but I think CD Project Red got lucky with reviews and media just because of the excellent quests and writing and we all looked passed how big of a mess this game was and still is. Well I wont make that same mistake again. I want Cyberpunk but I will be waiting till CD Project Red sends a article out saying we are done patching Cyberpunk. Should have did the same with Witcher 3.

Enough is enough of this Witcher 3 hype and praise. Don't get me wrong it is a great game but everybody is fooling there selves if they think it is Game of the Year Material.

Lets start off with the combat. I am Level 79 and yet have I enjoyed any part of the combat system. Anybody who says the combat is fine have obviously haven't played Bloodborne or Dark Souls series. The combat is downright disgusting.

Another reason I will not touch Cyberpunk for at least a year after release is the patches. My god the patches!!!. 1.22 on PS4. That means there is 22 different iterations of patches for this game and not only is that sad the patches have made the game worse especially with 1.22. Stuttering every 10 seconds, Stuttering when saving, Music not playing, Floating bodies, LOD is worse now, Roach is still dumb as hell, many many other glitches and bugs that break the immersion factor constant. So much so I just keep waiting for patch after patch hoping I get a solid game. Shouldn't it be solid after 22 freaking patches!!!

Bottom-line I will wait for another patch before I see if I can enjoy Blood and Wine. I am a die hard Fantasy RPG nut and i happen to like Witcher 3 but I think CD Project Red got lucky with reviews and media just because of the excellent quests and writing and we all looked passed how big of a mess this game was and still is. Well I wont make that same mistake again. I want Cyberpunk but I will be waiting till CD Project Red sends a article out saying we are done patching Cyberpunk. Should have did the same with Witcher 3.

dude...
i have no idea/care for Cyberpunk

but if cdpr going to make more content for the Witcher series

i will sell my kidney if thats what needed to play it

Witcher series changed my life!
game doea got hes flaws as every game does
but for me its more then game of the year

more like game of me life!

Im sorry you are dissapointed and to each their own.

But combat is only one element of a rpg like this. It IS to most people 'fine'. Its not amazing. Its not ground breaking. It exists becuase it must and it gets the job by. Comparing it to a game like souls ( personally I dont really rate combat in those games... But thays just me) is a little bit unfair. Combat is pretty much on of the main focuses and on a gamr like that. In an rpg its not. deux ex combat ( the actual combat itslelf) is pretty bad ( and im an uber fan of DX). Same with say TES.

As for the number of patches. I agree theres allot. But with rpgs the scope of Witcher 3 there usually are allot of bugs. Overall I think the game is quite stable when you look at other rpgs ( im lookinf at you bethesda). I dont LIKE that its considered normal but thats how it is.

Personally I have founf blood and wine pretty stable. Only issues I have had were some physics type thing and the odd texture related bug. I would still teally remcomment blood and wine in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you've come up against some frustrating issues. I know I've found that the combat feels somewhat unpolished and I definitely agree that the patching system needs some improvement in future. I've usually reinstalled the game when a patch comes out just to make sure I have a "clean" build installation and for some reason all my game settings get lost when a new patch is installed anyhow. Definitely some things that CDPR could learn from this (which they probably have) i.e. release open betas for those who want to jump in and test - there seem to be quite a lot of gamers in the community that are happy to do this. It would certainly ease the transition for normal users into a new version of the game.

On the other hand, warts and all, TW3 is definitely the best open world game I've played (and the only one I've actually finished at that). Best game ever? I personally couldn't go that far. But definitely a memorable game and a great gaming experience overall despite its issues. Hopefully CDPR take the lessons learnt from this release and use it to make their next game even better.

Complaining about TW3's combat is like complaining about Dark Souls rpg elements.

Yes a new DLC has been released and your upset with the bugs. Skyrym still has 1000's of bug's unfixed.

Complaining without specifying which bugs you have is pissing into the wind, Roach is endearing, not bugged, if it's immersion breaking don't ride her. I don't but it's not because of bugs.

As the diehard Fantasy RPG nut you claim to be, you don't need to even consider Cyberpunk. It's not Fantasy.

Your demands will just be ignored because you are confrontational. Believe it or not,this is constructive criticism.

Enjoy games for what they are, not what you want them to be.

Last edited:
Well......someone pissed in the OP's Wheaties that morning. Dude. Honestly, all games, and I mean allllll games, will have bugs. In one form or another no matter how many patches there are. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but for the consoles there have been 13 patches (1.01 - 1.10, then 1.12 & now 1.21 and soon to be 1.22. I don't know how many hotfixes were done for PC). Some of us expect a game to have problems day one. CDPR is what? Human..... that's the reason. We as a human race will always make mistakes. It's the learning from them, that is the key.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. I'm sorry that you don't like the combat (I'm one of those people that has never played the games you mentioned). But, if you are going to wait until all of the bugs are all worked out, I'm sorry to say that you'll never play a game ever again.

I've been playing games damn near my whole life, I played games when Atari was the new home console with the Atari 2600. And even back then, there were bugs & glitches. All I'm trying to say is, show just a little respect for the hard work it took them to even bring TW3 out in the first place. They worked their fingers to the bone trying to get it done. And they are still working on some issues that keep going on. But, I trust in them to work it out. I trust all game developers to work their games out.....Wait, I lied...I trust all except EA....they will never get my confidence in them.

​BadWolf

P.S. One last thing. I'm on XB1 and I have played through Blood & Wine, only problems I had were the 3 times it would crash. And I know why it would crash, I was playing the game non stop for up to 18 hours. I wasn't letting the console have a break. Other than that, I sailed through with no complaints except that this was the end.

Last edited:
Anybody who says the combat is fine have obviously haven't played Bloodborne or Dark Souls series

Combat is fine.... Bloodborne is Bloodborne and Dark souls is Dark souls....Know what i want to say ?

but I think CD Project Red got lucky with reviews and media

That means there is 22 different iterations of patches for this game

Just an fyi, they actually skipped from patch 1.12 to patch 1.20 when B&W came out. IIRC we are currently on patch number 14 for PS4 but I could be wrong.

Please keep it civil everyone, carry on.

Just an fyi, they actually skipped from patch 1.12 to patch 1.20 when B&W came out. IIRC we are currently on patch number 14 for PS4 but I could be wrong.

Please keep it civil everyone, carry on.
skipped one or 2 i the tens 2 though there were one or 2 hotfixes.

anyway, how this can be construed as a negative when others offer a measly 7 or so in the same time from. Then there is the number of things fixed in each patch. Makes CDPR at least twice as good.

Firstly, it's not 22 patches. It jumped from like 1.12 to 1.22 or something similar. Secondly, I've not had a single, solitary issue you claim to be having. I'm on PC.. maybe that's why? Not sure. Thirdly, you're level.. 79. So this is at least your second playthrough.

I think you've got your money's worth and then some.

Firstly, it's not 22 patches. It jumped from like 1.12 to 1.22 or something similar. Secondly, I've not had a single, solitary issue you claim to be having. I'm on PC.. maybe that's why? Not sure. Thirdly, you're level.. 79. So this is at least your second playthrough.

I think you've got your money's worth and then some.

He does want to play the dlc though. he just needs to learn patience.

I can relate somehow to how you feel, i got frustrated after some patches would cause more bugs and cause performance issues, and don't get me starting on the Mods part, as you need to update every mod after every patch and i feel it became a chore after sometime.

But let me tell you something i enjoy doing these chores cause after you do it you're in for a spectacular ride, even with the bugs and all the rough edges, if you knew where to look and enjoy the game's writing and everything else in between you are really going to enjoy it, and I've put about 400 hours into this game which is a milestone for me, and kept on looking for different reasons to comeback to it despite it's flaws.

As for the patches, a game with this scale and this incredible amount of polishing, it's bound to have many bugs, and really kudos for CDPR for persisting on handing out patches, and even further "polish" the game more and more, unlike many AAA games released these days which are a hell of a mess and get less frequent patches, even Skyrim in all it's greatness and hype was patched by the community after Bethesda kinda moved on from it.

And as for the Fantasy games I've been playing RPG and fantasy games for 17 years now, and a few stands out and the other not so much, this game was worth every damn dollar, and it spoiled me to a point it raised my expectations for all fantasy RPG games, and will never look the same to games within this genre.

tl;dr: try to look at the game from a different perspective, ignore the rough edges and understand that nothing is perfect and you might as well enjoy it.

For what it's worth, I can sympathize with people who don't care for TW3's combat. (Combat in the series has always been "its own thing" since TW1!) While I enjoy playing Dark Souls, too, I find it has its own flaws. Personally, my all-time favorite combat systems are a toss-up between Kingdoms of Amalur and Mount & Blade.

Overall, I think The Witcher series is made up of so much more than just its combat. I would argue the salient feature here is the narrative. Add in a fun combat system, gigantic open-world, crafting, and Gwent -- and I think the game warrants all of the recognition its received. (Can't please everyone, though. Point-in-case: myself. I do not like Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, or Titanic, despite their blockbuster successes stories.)

As for the patching being too much...the other option would be to leave the bugs in there. I vote for more patches!

I do not share the full extent of OP's frustration, but I do have to agree that nowadays buying games at day 1 is in general not a good idea, and I regret having done that with Witcher 3.

That being said, CDPR is extremely ambitious with Witcher 3, and (I think) they overextended themselves at various places, which needed patches in turn. I may be annoyed by the frequent bugs and patches, but I have no doubt that those guys are doing their best, so I will have annoyance, but not anger.

Wow, that's some rant.

I personally think TW3 is the best game I've ever played, I like the combat, and for me the game runs relatively smooth. I've never played a Dark souls game or Bloodbourne, but I can say compared to other third person, action, rpg games tI've played he combat is top notch and very fun.

> I am Level 79 and yet have I enjoyed any part of the combat system.<

Well, that's a bit lame. Playing for hours and hours without enjoying the combat.
Normally no one plays for that much hours, without knowing if the play style makes sense or not.

> My god the patches!!!. 1.22 on PS4. That means there is 22 different iterations of patches <

Honestly the number of the patches are way lower than 22. And iterations is not the exact word here.

Every patch has its own change-log. If you exclude some small sub patches, the number should be 11 or 12.

---------

It doesn't make sense to abandon a game after many hours of game-play.
It would be smarter to wait a bit longer, and finish the game after all.

Also i guess the OP has other games to play with, until CDPR makes some proper fixes to the game...

Apropos patches: http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Patch+Notes

Last edited:
...buying games at day 1 is in general not a good idea...CDPR is extremely ambitious with Witcher 3, and (I think) they overextended themselves at various places...

I agree. It's always a shot in the dark when you do that. Normally, you can rely on a successful franchise to deliver, though. (Darn you Thief [4] and Call of Duty: Ghosts! Darn you to heck!!!)

I was ecstatic about TW3's delivery, though! Never regretted that purchase for a second, despite my criticisms. What was it in particular that ruined the experience for you?

I've never played a Dark souls game or Bloodbourne

You should! Just promise you won't try to play while in a bad mood. Bad, bad idea. :D

Well, that's a bit lame. Playing for hours and hours without enjoying the combat.

I think it's perfectly sensible. While combat is a big part of the game, I don't think that's the thing that drives it. I've played (and enjoyed) countless games that had wonky mechanics in certain areas. (Most recently: Batman: Arkham Knight. The Batmobile's...tank...tank mode? Tank mode!? Are you bein' serious!?!? Like, really!?!?!? But I actually enjoyed the game, overall. Despite being stuck in "tank mode" for about 1/3rd of it.)

While I can sympathize with the op with regards to patches (there have been 2 that have mucked up my witcher experience.....think it was patch 1.8 and now 1.22).....1.22 has been a game breaker, but I personally make back ups of my saves and I do a back up of my ps4 before any patch, so I can roll back if anything goes wrong. It has with 1.22 and I have had to do a roll back to 1.20 . The combat...meh it's ok, but Witcher is more story not hack and slash. I have enjoyed my experience with tw3 on ps4, but I sometimes do feel ps4 peasants do get left at the back of the line when it comes to long standing bugs and glitches getting fixed. On the subject of new game+.....well I think it's just a bonus to replay the game with added challenge, but the game on a normal playthrough is very satisfactory (on whatever level you choose). The scaling is horrible bugged and and at this point I find it abit of a task, while at the same time I would love to enjoy the game with my gear carried over, I was abit peeved that my grand master Witcher armor was horribly under scaled in new game + and crossbow damage is completely broken.

but yeah patch 1.22 has really broken the game for many ps4 users....

Last edited:
As far as open world games go, The Witcher Wild Hunt has actually been one of the more stable games that I have played. I've never encountered a game breaking bug, most of the glitches in my playthroughs have been graphical or texture based, and I appreciate that CDPR is continuing to offer post-launch support. I would be pissed if they weren't patching the game, which is what many companies do these days.

As for this being patch 1.22, as @Rawls pointed out, there haven't actually been 22 patches, and the OP needs to take into account that each new expansion and DLC complicates the equation and introduces additional anomalies and bugs that need to be addressed. They are programming for three systems, the game world is far larger than Skyrim, and yet it's still a smoother experience than anything that I've seen Bethesda roll out.

The criticisms about combat are subjective - I enjoyed the sword fighting, finishers, mutations and signs in TW3 - and appear unrelated to the topic at hand: bugs and patching.

As for whether this is Game of the Year material, that's entirely up to the individual and each gaming journalist. I somehow doubt that the 200+ awards were a fluke or pure "luck," as the OP put it, especially when 2015 was a particularly competitive year when it came to accolades. It is more likely that they decided the excellent writing, voice acting, production values, and world building were the most important factor in determining GOTY, and that is why it beat out games like Bloodborne, which tend to subordinate story to gameplay considerations.

Top Bottom