Will npc´s ever react to player customizations in video games?

+
I have said it before, and i will say it again.

Have you played RDR2?
NPC's will react to your clothes, your fitness and your sobriety, also your cleanliness. They will even give you some lip if you wear funny looking hats.

I checked wikipedia about it, avoiding the story parts. There´s written alot about the crafting and survival stuff but how about experience, levels, quests and rewards? Anything like that?

This is lesser a topic for Cyberpunk but more for RPG´s in general. Imagine people on the street would react with facial expressions to the apearience you choosed for your player charackter both for the creation choices and the clothing and in some really extreme cases break the silence and openly give a positive or negative comment about it. I am aware that this would be a massive ammount of work as every npc would require a slightly different "opinion" setting for the available choices the player gets for the customization of the charackter. Still i think this would be a big milestone into a more realistic game environment.

How do you think about this topic?

This was a major let down in the game. My guess is that it's a work in progress. PC version will probably see it before the console versions do. It is possible that CDPR held it back, for the purpose of DLC content. When you look at all the clubs you visited in the game; there were only a few of them that had a vibrant atmosphere. Once there are newer venues that require a particular dress code; then it will be essential for NPC's to react to your appearance. The most common reactions should be when your dressed as a CORPO, trying to gain access to a gang club. Or if your dressed as a CORPO trying to do business with NOMADS.

The game would have to give you hints, when your denied access to a location or NPC. A simple reminder such as, "ADJUST YOUR ATIRE SO YOU CAN GAIN TRUST". The game shouldn't tell you exactly what to where, for the simple challenge of letting the gamer figure it out. This would create interesting side stories. The game teased this when you had to gain access to Arasaka Plaza. V and Jackie had to change their attire to match the role they were portraying. Though CDPR did not promote it; lewd attire would also be a favorable option when considering NPC reactions. Again; my idea is that it plays a major role in side stories. Examples, would be gaining access to exotic clubs. Maybe there is a private club where V has to strip down in order to gain access to the VIP. When she gets back there, there are a tone of other topless girls. The target she is trying to find; notices her and invites her to his or her table. V gets the info and progresses in the side story.

Why is this a needed feature and how would it enhance the immersion in a game?
You are seriously asking this?!

When you walk down the street in real life, you don't get random people verbally commenting on your looks or choice of clothes.
Actually, people do.

Or am I missing something?
I suppose so. Look, the point is, it does happen in real life (not for everyone, or from everyone) but it does. Also, how this woud increase immersion? again, I cant really fathom the existence of the question but the reason would be very simple: it creates a dynamic in the world that you are perceived as part of that world. Also it makes the NPCs less generic zombie-like meshes that just occupy space.
It makes the world and characters come more alive

A good way to expand on the current mechanics they have; would be to tie it in with the enemy awareness system. This is the eyeball icon that appears when they notice your presence. There could be an additional one that connects to V's appearance. CDPR would have to do some work in cycling the feature in with particular districts and locations. Dressing like a bum would probably revoke you access to a nice lounge. Dressing like a thug/bum may in turn blend you in when walking through Pacifica. Dressing risky, while sporting all the tattoos on female V might just score you a hot date at a popular club and expose you to the world of exotic brain dances. Maybe your able to meet the exotic joy toys that Woodman had on his desktop PC.

All this could be easily done by CDPR. It's using what is already there and making it better.

Rogue reacts to Johnny's porsche, the guy selling Samurai bootlegs reacts if you are wearing the Samurai jacket provided by Rogue. Don't remember any other lines.

Top Bottom