Will npc´s ever react to player customizations in video games?

+
This is lesser a topic for Cyberpunk but more for RPG´s in general. Imagine people on the street would react with facial expressions to the apearience you choosed for your player charackter both for the creation choices and the clothing and in some really extreme cases break the silence and openly give a positive or negative comment about it. I am aware that this would be a massive ammount of work as every npc would require a slightly different "opinion" setting for the available choices the player gets for the customization of the charackter. Still i think this would be a big milestone into a more realistic game environment.

How do you think about this topic?

higher level you get i heard sometimes NPCs say something along the lines of "wow look at you, you look good" not sure if they are random or they are actually admiring my high-level clothes.

thats about as far as people reacting to you goes in this game sadly. what you mentioned sounds great but that takes TIME and MONEY, something that is not viable right now unless they makes CP2 which i doubt. I think they should go back to Witcher and stay there.

Why is this a needed feature and how would it enhance the immersion in a game? When you walk down the street in real life, you don't get random people verbally commenting on your looks or choice of clothes. At most you come across aquintances that recognise you and say hi. People typically go about their daily lives ignoring most of their surrounding and don't notice something unless it is completely out of the ordinary (i.e. Woman in Red from the Matrix comes to mind.)

I mean, sure, it could be done but at potentially a great cost and with little to no benefit. Or am I missing something?

I had Rogue ask if i was "going on the mission wearing that"... still had the Afterlife netrunner suit on... (end mission)

thought it was a nice touch

on another note.. she also commented me on picking her up in Johnny's car, on the date..

she also commented me on picking her up in Johnny's car, on the date..

Yes i remember that line. I only took that car because i had aquired it short ago well and because its the only german car in the game :>

Do you know her comment or if she does any when using a different car?

RDR2 had this to some extent where NPC's would comment on your clothing choices or if you were really dirty
Post automatically merged:

Why is this a needed feature and how would it enhance the immersion in a game? When you walk down the street in real life, you don't get random people verbally commenting on your looks or choice of clothes. At most you come across aquintances that recognise you and say hi. People typically go about their daily lives ignoring most of their surrounding and don't notice something unless it is completely out of the ordinary (i.e. Woman in Red from the Matrix comes to mind.)

I mean, sure, it could be done but at potentially a great cost and with little to no benefit. Or am I missing something?
I don't think it's you can fairly compare you walking down the street in regular clothes in regular life to a character who's actions change the world and behaviors are FAR outside the norm. Often reaching celebrity status for your deeds. A big part of a lot of these games is your rep and increasing it. I assure you if Tom Brady was walking down the street in hot pink latex short shorts and a 12" green spiked mohawk... people might say something.
Hell, I was once walking down the street and saw guy walking past with a cat sitting on his head and I said "There's a cat on your head!"

Last edited:
San Andreas had the NPC's comment on CJ. When he was fully buff or fat. CJ himself commented on his body status. Saints Row has a simliar thing. When you're nude. The NPC's say put some clothes on, say disgusting, or run away. Depending on how little you wear. Gets their attention. I know if you're female and show off your bra. Any of the NPC's will say things like lookin' good girl. I know when you're male and you have the penis maximum size. Some NPC's will make comments. "I can't take all that". Specfially for Saints Row 4. People would say what a freak. Because you had super powers. A few other responses. "Marry me".

Last edited:

As i said, giving comments only in extreme cases like if you so decide to walk around naked. But if your pieces of clothing by no mean fit to each other, you could notice people laugh behind your back, perhaps, people wisper to each other while you pass by and be extra quiet and gazing away with a smirk if you pay them attention.

This system was in WoW at one point. not as a common feature but iirc when you had certain weapons equipped you would get some special dialogue from NPC's about those weapons. So if an almost 20yr old engine/game can do this im sure small pieces of easter egg type stuff would be no problem.

There was a setting in a mod used in Skyrim which set NPC responses to behaviour and appearance. It also could be made to apply to what your character wore. If it was nudity or partial or ultra skimpy some NPCs would react with comments, example ' go put on some clothes **** !' or ' you'll freeze wearing that' or ' did you forget to wear something' or 'shameless hussy' or similar comical responses...

In some settings they would recognise your in-game name and use it when speaking to you casually in non-scripted encounters (the code command to NPC in the mod was like 'get avatar name' ) or even whisper to others 'is that (avatar name) over there.?' ..or similar comments ad hoc

I changed V's clothes to be more "normal" for Pyramid Song. Judy says, "Looking good!"

So I replayed the mission dressed up in the most ridiculous looking outfit. Funny hat, goggles, fancy corpo jacket, tattered tank top, gym shorts, and high heels. Made sure they were all white items. Judy says, "Looking good!" :shrug:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Theres rpg's out the now were ppl "react" to your gender, profession etc etc even having the enemies combat dialogue reflect it, Cyberpunk is one such game if you listen during combat theres lines said to a female that aren't said to a male.

The game reacting to gender, profession, deeds etc isn't new its mainly just been cut back alot in "triple A" games, BioWare had a huge problem with it in there DA series with allowing the PC to be a blood mage but you see alot of it all still in isometric rpg i believe

It would be amazing if your mod and clothing choices (assuming the wealth of them got better too) could influence how people interact with you. For example: going anywhere looking like a Maelstrom because of the heavy and extreme mods could make things more difficult! But then dressing in a "fashionable"/normie way could make fixers trust you less at first because they might percieve you as some chancer.

Also appearance/mod intimidation factor that balances with some kind of NCPD awareness of you would be cool!

The possibilities would be endless!

This is lesser a topic for Cyberpunk but more for RPG´s in general. Imagine people on the street would react with facial expressions to the apearience you choosed for your player charackter both for the creation choices and the clothing and in some really extreme cases break the silence and openly give a positive or negative comment about it. I am aware that this would be a massive ammount of work as every npc would require a slightly different "opinion" setting for the available choices the player gets for the customization of the charackter. Still i think this would be a big milestone into a more realistic game environment.

They do react in, you guessed it, GTA. They even do in Watchdogs from what I've seen - still haven't played those.
Incredibly, you can react to them and it can escalate. I decided to give GTA a try again out of frustration with the lacking world in this game. First thing to occur was a woman being mugged. I chased the criminal down, beat his ass, then returned her purse where she rewarded me. I could have kept the money all for myself, or done nothing. I later drove around a GTR Skyline type car and NPCs commented on it with admiration.

If Rockstar takes note of Cyberpunk's (financial) success, and makes their own GTA set in that genre; It's over.

They do react in, you guessed it, GTA. They even do in Watchdogs from what I've seen - still haven't played those.
Incredibly, you can react to them and it can escalate. I decided to give GTA a try again out of frustration with the lacking world in this game. First thing to occur was a woman being mugged. I chased the criminal down, beat his ass, then returned her purse where she rewarded me. I could have kept the money all for myself, or done nothing. I later drove around a GTR Skyline type car and NPCs commented on it with admiration.

If Rockstar takes note of Cyberpunk's (financial) success, and makes their own GTA set in that genre; It's over.

To add that's just pure quality and care put into the game, wasn't even something they advertised in their marketing for the game, yet and still people who defend CDPR will tell you "This game isn't GTA, if you want GTA go play GTA." and I just facepalm, cause it's the attention to details that can make a huge difference. Especially when CDPR made bold claims about CP 2077(which the cited links have been shared plenty) to begin with.

I have said it before, and i will say it again.

Have you played RDR2?
NPC's will react to your clothes, your fitness and your sobriety, also your cleanliness. They will even give you some lip if you wear funny looking hats.

In GTA4, your girlfriends would react to style of clothes you are wearing during dates, as well as to your car of choice. Each one had different preferences, so one would praise you if you wore expensive clothes, while other would tell you look like a clown in them.

Top Bottom