Will Old Gen Consoles Hold Back The Next Gen Patch?

+
Not really sure if this thread has a point other than to be bait for platform wars -- but platform wars are not welcome. Two posts deleted for going way too far.

Not really sure if this thread has a point other than to be bait for platform wars -- but platform wars are not welcome. Two posts deleted for going way too far.
I didn't read the deleted comments, but a "war" was not my intention.
To be more clear: I'm trying to understand the technical difficulties in current development and I'm concerned about the quality of the next gen patch. This doesn't mean that I want the game to be non-existent on old gen.

The fact is despite cd reds bs on previous gen release the game is not suitable for previous gen consoles ..
Now i understand that the current gen consoles are not easy to get i have been fortunate to have both series x and ps5 and a high end pc .
i own cyberpunk on both pc and ps5 ..
people always get angry with me when i say this but here goes ..
in order for developers to move forward with game development hardware requirements need to be better and as gamers we need to understand if we want the latest and greatest games we need to upgrade our systems ..
was it in my opinion to release cyberpunk on ps4 and xbox one a huge mistake YES
should have cd red lied about the game running well on previous gen consoles .. absolutely NOT
To a point previous gen consoles have been holding back next gen console patches and updates, dlc , etc since release ( a blame i place squarely on cd red for trying to make a next gen game work on a previous gen console )
i believe the time they have been focusing on making the game playable on previous gen consoles is what has been slowing down progress for next gen consoles of which could have been avoided !
Is it gamers fault if they cant afford to buy the latest console . NO
Is it the gamers fault that its damn near impossible to get a next gen console .. NO
Fact remains the game should not have been brought out on the older consoles !!

Last edited:
The fact is despite cd reds bs on previous gen release the game is not suitable for previous gen consoles ..
Now i understand that the current gen consoles are not easy to get i have been fortunate to have both series x and ps5 and a high end pc .
I think they're trying to make it suitable and 1.3 shows that it's possible. It just seems to take a lot of time, patience, and fine-tuning...
I don't want to discuss the decision to launch on old gen. The decision has been made, and it is what it is.

So, based on Patch 1.3, what do you guys think?
I'm actually quite confident again, after having played a bit. 1.3 really feels like an update. There seem to a lot of quality improvements, like sound balancing, variation in sound, RT reflections, UI, etc...

So, based on Patch 1.3, what do you guys think?
I'm actually quite confident again, after having played a bit. 1.3 really feels like an update. There seem to a lot of quality improvements, like sound balancing, variation in sound, RT reflections, UI, etc...
The same here, "still" confident, even more after playing on 1.3 :)

Im kinda impressed with the tweaks to the effects and RT. Fps hasent increased for me so no improvments there. Pretty much crashfree tho so thats good (might be me figuring out wtf caused my memory crashes but) Just wish the distant lods were much less blocky. Kinda weird to make em so blocky in a city, they must have knows you would really notice. But when you find one of those "glitched" places you can see NPC several blocks away and the long distance lods for cars. I dont expect the next gen patch too do much for me tho, unless direct storage comes out and is supported by then.

The game is already held back and will continue to be held back by the ancient hardware of old-gen consoles. Dropping support for them so that they can focus on more powerful hardware is the solution.
Not at all.
When the next gen patch launches (which may basically be a complete game download) they can tweak things separately between old and new gen.

people always get angry with me when i say this but here goes ..
in order for developers to move forward with game development hardware requirements need to be better and as gamers we need to understand if we want the latest and greatest games we need to upgrade our systems ..
was it in my opinion to release cyberpunk on ps4 and xbox one a huge mistake YES
should have cd red lied about the game running well on previous gen consoles .. absolutely NOT
To a point previous gen consoles have been holding back next gen console patches and updates, dlc , etc since release ( a blame i place squarely on cd red for trying to make a next gen game work on a previous gen console )
i believe the time they have been focusing on making the game playable on previous gen consoles is what has been slowing down progress for next gen consoles of which could have been avoided !
Is it gamers fault if they cant afford to buy the latest console . NO
Is it the gamers fault that its damn near impossible to get a next gen console .. NO
The fact is the game came out very unfinished (on the one version it was optimized to run on). There are game mechanics systems that are being finished now. It is my opinion the engine itself is still being tweaked. So it's hard to say if they had been able to optimize the game differently from platform to platform what it would be possible.
Since they had so muvh to do on release I guess now this is the only way to go: bring all the systems down so they can raise the ones that can be raised later.
What I can say is I'd much more rather have played the best version on my first playthrough and now wait a bit for it to go back up in my system than playing the worst first and get the performance up step by step until now. And the possibility of mods...

I swear it would be far easier for them to incorperate Series X and PS5 optimizations than it has been to get the game to run on old consoles. I said it once, and I'll say it again, "They should have done a next gen title first," and then worked on a version for older consoles. CDPR's impatience got the better of them. It seems like every optimization done thus far has been to shore up things that were likely not a huge issue at release if you owned a next gen system -- either console or PC. From what I played on PC at release on my 1080 GTX laptop, which is over 5 years old tech-wise, the game was more than playable (30-120fps high/medium).

The older gen consoles have hardly been worth it, and it's already cost the company more money (I bet) than they would have made taking their time developing ports to console from next gen systems while the rest of us bought and played the next gen game. My logic to this is basically that the game for months now has still been largely only accessible to PC players and next gen console players anyway; playing on any other system is fraught with peril. Also, the massive refunds from the old console systems combined with law suits, whether CDPR admits it or not, has probably cost them more than they care to admit. Lastly, if the game is best on next gen platforms, why are we still waiting for attention on the next gen side of things for console or even PC optimizations for things like RDNA2? Instead they made us wait over a year longer for anything approaching next gen on consoles, and the only things next gen on PC are a mediocre DLSS when combined with lackluster LOD scaling, and Raytracing -- which is the only remarkable thing about CP so far.

I bought my Series X in Nov. before the release of CP2077 because I assumed the game was releasing with the intention to upgrade to next gen within a month or two from the release date. What I did to remedy the wait for the next gen console patch was buy a $3000 PC with a RTX 2080 SUPER because the timing for all the mishaps including covid, and everything that happened because of it in the industries made it impossible to shop smarter. I'm not saying that CDPR cost me that much money by themselves, but it does go a long way to show what people will go through just to play a game in the best possible light.

It's food for thought at any rate. Why are next gen console players still waiting on the enhancements? I see modders all over the community fixing things like the HDR tonemap (yes it really needs 1st party fixing), hair quality, base textures, etc. -- all to make the game a better next gen experience on PC. These people effectively work to do the things that CDPR have neglected for a bit too long, and the enthusiasts do it for free. So, while people working for the 1st party company are still complaining about pay and hours, people who don't even work for the company are doing the work that aught to be done by people who truly need to light a fire under their posteriors and get enthusiastic about their work rather than trying to control a bleed that's already too late to stop.

They will never get the game passable on older gen consoles no matter how hard they work at it without first realizing the game to its potential, then working backwards. From the patch notes I have seen this year and the gameplay I can still access from my consoles, the game is still doomed to obscurity for the base systems. It's time to forget about the past, and look toward the future of the game in the next gen landscape; if CDPR doesn't do this very thing, the game will not excel anywhere, and they might as well give up, and focus on a new IP.

*** edit: This is not to start a war, but to illustrate an idea based on a year of observation and actual experience playing every version of the game over that year. The main point of this reply is yes, I do think the concentration on base consoles has and will hurt the development of the next gen patches because it has already hurt the PC next gen systems. I still see weird bugs, level of detail issues, etc. everywhere. I can only speak from experience, but the game still feels very last gen on every platform. PC, even with Raytracing enabled merely coats last gen assets with a glossy sheen to use hyperbole.

Last edited:
I agree with the notion that CP2077 should have been a next-gen title and therefore not released on consoles, but I think CDPR decided to release it on old-gen because the already allocated resources to the old consoles and they have also been constrained by them when designing Cyberpunk. I'm fairly certain that there where a few quite a few developers who negotiated with their higher ups about the possibility of ditching old-gen, but this was simply not possible due to the game's planned release. Remember, it was planned to be released in April 2020. Now, they put their resources into old-gen because the already put q quiet high amount of resources in it in the first place and since it has been released they are also stuck with their decision.

Instead they made us wait over a year longer for anything approaching next gen on consoles, and the only things next gen on PC are a mediocre DLSS when combined with lackluster LOD scaling, and Raytracing -- which is the only remarkable thing about CP so far.
Yes, the game has apparent LOD issues and a few other visual bugs as well. But damn, the game also looks breathtaking (*)....the level of detail is just awesome and the raytracing effects in it are the cherry on top. I absolutely do love the visual.

*)
1631630616520.png

I bought my Series X in Nov. before the release of CP2077 because I assumed the game was releasing with the intention to upgrade to next gen within a month or two from the release date.
Ok, maybe I had different expectations but for me it seemed that the next-gen release would have been planned somewhere around the summer. I don't have any sources to back up that claim though...don't know if the even mentioned anything before the release.
So, while people working for the 1st party company are still complaining about pay and hours, people who don't even work for the company are doing the work that aught to be done by people who truly need to light a fire under their posteriors and get enthusiastic about their work rather than trying to control a bleed that's already too late to stop.
Ok, so I'm fairly certain the devs at CDPR are enthusiastic about their game(s) and if they are not I pity them. Think about how much time many of them have already spent in fixing the game. Also, mods are often fairly common and many issues get fixed by modders in other games as well. The reason often is that a modder has the liberty of releasing an untested mod and is also free to ignore complaints. If CDPR releases an update things need to work for all the different platforms and with all the different hardware specifications possible.

I know, this statement can lead to a sly remark about the game's state at launch, but releasing a bugged game at launch does not have to mean that the studio should just release buggy patches as well.

They will never get the game passable on older gen consoles no matter how hard they work at it without first realizing the game to its potential, then working backwards. From the patch notes I have seen this year and the gameplay I can still access from my consoles, the game is still doomed to obscurity for the base systems. It's time to forget about the past, and look toward the future of the game in the next gen landscape; if CDPR doesn't do this very thing, the game will not excel anywhere, and they might as well give up, and focus on a new IP.
The gameplay itself will not change and was never planned to change. If you do not fundamentally like Cyberpunk 2077 the way it is now you never will. I would also like to use this post to point out that the gameplay in every CDPR game was flawed and in Witcher 3 there exist to this day various skills that do not work. It also seems the negative mentality around the game is overshadowing many of the good things and it could very well be that CDPR thinks twice before doing another Cyberpunk. Which is a shame, because the game is one of my favourites. Furthermore, the game as it is now is more or less in a similar state than Witcher 3 when it was released. Remember that you could find an apology letter for the bugs in Witcher 3 somewhere around Kear Morhen I think.

I agree with the notion that CP2077 should have been a next-gen title and therefore not released on consoles, but I think CDPR decided to release it on old-gen because the already allocated resources to the old consoles and they have also been constrained by them when designing Cyberpunk. I'm fairly certain that there where a few quite a few developers who negotiated with their higher ups about the possibility of ditching old-gen, but this was simply not possible due to the game's planned release. Remember, it was planned to be released in April 2020. Now, they put their resources into old-gen because the already put q quiet high amount of resources in it in the first place and since it has been released they are also stuck with their decision.

Yes, the game has apparent LOD issues and a few other visual bugs as well. But damn, the game also looks breathtaking (*)....the level of detail is just awesome and the raytracing effects in it are the cherry on top. I absolutely do love the visual.

*)
View attachment 11254261

Ok, maybe I had different expectations but for me it seemed that the next-gen release would have been planned somewhere around the summer. I don't have any sources to back up that claim though...don't know if the even mentioned anything before the release.

Ok, so I'm fairly certain the devs at CDPR are enthusiastic about their game(s) and if they are not I pity them. Think about how much time many of them have already spent in fixing the game. Also, mods are often fairly common and many issues get fixed by modders in other games as well. The reason often is that a modder has the liberty of releasing an untested mod and is also free to ignore complaints. If CDPR releases an update things need to work for all the different platforms and with all the different hardware specifications possible.

I know, this statement can lead to a sly remark about the game's state at launch, but releasing a bugged game at launch does not have to mean that the studio should just release buggy patches as well.

The gameplay itself will not change and was never planned to change. If you do not fundamentally like Cyberpunk 2077 the way it is now you never will. I would also like to use this post to point out that the gameplay in every CDPR game was flawed and in Witcher 3 there exist to this day various skills that do not work. It also seems the negative mentality around the game is overshadowing many of the good things and it could very well be that CDPR thinks twice before doing another Cyberpunk. Which is a shame, because the game is one of my favourites. Furthermore, the game as it is now is more or less in a similar state than Witcher 3 when it was released. Remember that you could find an apology letter for the bugs in Witcher 3 somewhere around Kear Morhen I think.
There was never any mention of being disappointed with actual gameplay; therefore, I am not disappointed with the gameplay to make this clear. Again, I make my point: I think that the focus on old gen hardware has and will hurt the game going forward if they don't first realize the potential in the next gen state.

I think you took the word gameplay out of context. I meant to illustrate that I can access the old gen content, and I can see with my own eyes that the game is still barely playable on older gen hardware.

My question then would be how many more years will we have to wait for the next gen attention this game aught to receive? I know they plan for a 2022 patch for Series X and PS5. I certainly hope so -- I miss playing this game in 4k in HDR. I would really like to see Ray Tracing shine through on Series X by then too.

Last edited:
Simultaneously releasing the game on last-gen consoles and too many current-gen platforms already delayed everything significantly. And that doesn't matter. It's over, done, decision made and consequences dealt with and being dealt with. Water under the bridge.

Do I think that supporting last-gen consoles is going to create further delays for PC and current-gen systems? No. I think that there will be delays, and that what will create them is CDPR going back to it's "it will be ready when its ready" philosophy. They get my vote of approval for that.

There was never any mention of being disappointed with actual gameplay; therefore, I am not disappointed with the gameplay to make this clear. Again, I make my point: I think that the focus on old gen hardware has and will hurt the game going forward if they don't first realize the potential in the next gen state.

I think you took the word gameplay out of context. I meant to illustrate that I can access the old gen content, and I can see with my own eyes that the game is still barely playable on older gen hardware.

My question then would be how many more years will we have to wait for the next gen attention this game aught to receive? I know they plan for a 2022 patch for Series X and PS5. I certainly hope so -- I miss playing this game in 4k in HDR. I would really like to see Ray Tracing shine through on Series X by then too.
I probably misunderstood your earlier statement, there are many that are disappointed that Cyberpunk 2077 didn't end up to be the GTA clone William Gibson promised. Anyway, I do think that the next-gen patch is very high on their list of priorities. However, they are are probably also wary to not release the patch too soon.

Do I think that supporting last-gen consoles is going to create further delays for PC and current-gen systems? No. I think that there will be delays, and that what will create them is CDPR going back to it's "it will be ready when its ready" philosophy. They get my vote of approval for that.
Well, if their resources would be on next-gen and PC only, patches would come faster and the game's visual fidelity would certainly be increased. But then again, it is what it is and I understand why they don't ditch old-gen now.

And still, they haven't learned yet :LOL: How many attempts do they need?
The try to make larger and more brave games every single time. That's why they are facing those issues. If they would milk the sequel-cow the games would be much more polished but also rather dull. I personally prefer the way CDPR is going.

As a base PS4 player I can see (and hear) the old beast is being stretched to the limit by the game. I'd have no problem whatsoever if CDPR turned round and said the expansion DLCs were beyond the scope of the old tech and are being made available for PC / nextgen console only. Old gen is old gen, we're probably at the time period now where support for the machines would normally expect to drop off. Give it 6 years or so and the console era will be a matter of history and everyone will have PCs anyway.

Much like Metal Gear Solid V on PS3, CP2077 has seen the PS4 era off in a blaze of glory.

I remember way back in the day, Dragon Age Inquisition did the same thing with there dlc's. The only one that came to ps3 and 360 was Jaws of Hakkon. So, there is precedent. I'm curious what's in the next gen version that's taking so long to come out.

I probably misunderstood your earlier statement, there are many that are disappointed that Cyberpunk 2077 didn't end up to be the GTA clone William Gibson promised. Anyway, I do think that the next-gen patch is very high on their list of priorities. However, they are are probably also wary to not release the patch too soon.

Well, if their resources would be on next-gen and PC only, patches would come faster and the game's visual fidelity would certainly be increased. But then again, it is what it is and I understand why they don't ditch old-gen now.

The try to make larger and more brave games every single time. That's why they are facing those issues. If they would milk the sequel-cow the games would be much more polished but also rather dull. I personally prefer the way CDPR is going.
Naaah TW3 was almost as bugged as cyberpunk at launch. I like companies that release finished games and don't try the early access but full price policy. That being said we're really off topic.
Post automatically merged:

You never stop making mistakes so you never stop learning from them :) The important thing is to stop repeating your old ones.
Which is exactly what they haven't done. That's the problem.

Have they ever released and optimized their game for 9 different platforms at once before? No, they haven't. IMO this was the biggest mistake.
Doing even one new thing is a challenge.

But again, it's not like it's one team that's responsible for learning how to code on PC, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, and mobile phones. Each of those different projects will have their own teams working in their own areas of experience.

Regardless, it is still quite a project trying to put everything together on any platform in the end. Lots of logistics.

But -- if we never do something for the first time -- we never gain experience and never learn. It's perfectly possible to bite off more than can be chewed without meaning to. That's just life.

Top Bottom