Will RTX 2060 be sufficient for Ray Tracing?

+
Just recently got a PC upgrade, & decided to go with an RTX graphics card. Sadly the 2060 was the best one available at the time (I was hoping for a series 30, but they're still not in stock), so I was wondering if anybody knows if the 2060 will support Ray Tracing?

Thanks in advance.

Just recently got a PC upgrade, & decided to go with an RTX graphics card. Sadly the 2060 was the best one available at the time (I was hoping for a series 30, but they're still not in stock), so I was wondering if anybody knows if the 2060 will support Ray Tracing?

Thanks in advance.

RTX is the chipset that is built for ray-tracing, so the answer is yes. However, 2060 is not very good at it, so the end result will likely depend on your CPU also (be cpu intensive).

Last edited:
Yes, any RTX card is capable of ray tracing but considering yours is the weakest of the bunch don't except good results
on the bright side the game does support DLSS 2.0 so that will probably help quite a bit

The 2060 supports ray tracing on only a technical level, it has the cores, but so few of them that all it really does it kill your performance.

CP2077 will obviously run on your setup. With of without ray-tracing, you will be the final arbiter. But I wouldn't change the setup until you don't find it satisfactory.

Given I just spent AU$1500 upgrading my PC, just for this game, it is fair to assume I won't be changing my set-up again for about another 2 years or so. If it can't do Ray-tracing to my satisfaction, then I simply won't use it ;)

BTW, even without the upcoming Next Gen upgrade, Witcher 3 looks AMAZING on all Ultra settings (showing my new Rig is already paying dividends :) 🙂)

I built a new rig for the game also, this was my Christmas 2019 present for myself; for when the game was supposedly coming out in April 2020. My rig is: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU with nVidia RTX 2070 Super GPU.

I'm using a 2060 RTX Super paired with a AMD 3700X at 1440p and the options it defaulted to (mostly maxed it seems with RTX on) are working great overall. I did turn off the crap stuff like film grain and depth of field, which are terrible options nobody should ever have on. I get weird slowdowns sometimes, but reloading a save fixes it. I think it's a physics related slowdown when too many chunks of crap are bouncing around and getting stuck in an active state. When it happens, the FPS goes back up if I leave the area or if I do a save/reload.

2060 super gains a bit on the regular 2060, so you might have to turn some options down for RTX. On the other hand, RTX doesn't add a lot to the game because they did such a great job with the visual effects overall. With RTX off, they're using a lot of tricks to accomplish a similar look, so I don't think it's a big deal. RTX in the 2000 series is mostly a novelty, and it will be the 3000 series that can do some truly amazing things...and it will be a while before games really make use of all that raytracing power.

I have a RTX 2060 basic with 32GB of RAM and an i5 8600k, running on an M2 SSD. Without RT it will usually get around 60fps or more (I only run 1080p though. Old monitor). Run into trouble loading stuff on the move though, and the frames drop a lot when moving fast through busy areas.

With RT, I'll rarely see more than 40fps and often less. Honestly, I've done some side by side comparisons even with RT on "Psycho" mode with all the bells and whistles and the difference is usually quite negligible.

No RTX 2060 won't be enough. That card is leaps and bounds below the RTX 3090.
What do you mean the RTX 2060 was the best card you could get?
The 2080 Ti was launched before the 2060.
No we have the 3000 series as well.

Rt looks very nice, but even with an EVGA 2070 Super it can still have major drops in FPS. Card is maxed at 100% when RT is turned on and all other settings on ultra. Without, the card usually stays at about 70%

I have a slightly over overclocked rtx2070
Amd ryzen 7 2700 8core 3.65Ghz
32 ram
1920x1080 solution

I play with raytracing off, because in combo with dlss everything is washed out.

I prefer clear sharp textures more than fancy lighting. Game looks great. In a second playthrough i might turn raytracing on for some "wow effects", if they fix some performence issues.

Film grain....chromatic eyecancer....grahpic "feauture" from hell, who like this???

Only on a very basic level. I've got a 3600X and RTX 2060 Super, playing @1080p and can only get 60+ fps most of the time with RT ON with DLSS perfromance, which is a bit blurry. It's not too blurry though, but definitely not crips either, doesn't stack up against 1080p native or DLSS balanced and of course quality. There's DLSS ultra performance, but that is just a blur fest and it doesn't even help that much in terms of helping with dips in particulary heavy areas, where you'll drop well below 50 no matter which RT features you have on, having even a single RT feature would lead to those drops there.

As far as RT features go, RT lighting is on "medium", which is your lowset option, RT reflections are on, RT shadows are off for some better stability and it's a feature you would have a very hard time noticing anyway. Also I tweaked my rasterization settings according to Digital Foundry findings as to which settings make the most impact performance wise but don't affect visuals nearly as much. Like I've got AO on low, since RT lightning gives you proper AO anyway and if there's anything that RT lighting doesn't cover AO low would have me covered there, SSR to low, since RT reflections are on, stuff like that.

In any case, all of the tweaks above combined give me a game that works decently, but the image crispness is only just a tad from being too blurry for me. It's a good trade off in my opinion, given how RT lighting affects the overall image as in how natural lighting looks with it, and proper reflections do wonders with water surfaces, without RT water doesn't even look like water, besides proper reflections look pretty cool in a city like Night City. But I'm getting a better GPU come March, 2060 does not really cut it in this game.

Last but not least, even with those settings you'll be running at mid fifties for prolonged periods of time in many parts of the city, particulary where there are a lot of people and/or traffic. I've got a VRR display and that helps smooth out that below 60 framerate for me, but if I hadn't had a VRR monitor, I would have already dumped RT, went full ultra on my rasterization settings, set DLSS to quality and enjoyed a crisp looking amage all around with pretty much locked 60 anywhere.

Last edited:
Reflections quality is very high in this game, even without RTX. Personaly I don't find RTX that exciting at all. Seems to me like overhyped thing to sale more GPU's.

Well, here is some test someone did with RTX 2060.

If you're happy using dlss and capping the game at 30fps for stability, sure. For me it ended up not being worth it. Apparently raytracing has a memory leak issue so when I did use it after half an hour the framerate would tank until I turned raytracing on and off again. Too unstable to use on this card, really. I'd get between 20-50 FPS even before the framerate would tank and dlss is an absolute necessity to use it at all.

The latest NVIDIA driver (460,89) did wonders for my 2070 Super setup... ultra settings and ultra RTX with Auto DLSS @1080 is pretty stable around 60 FPS now, most of the time.

Top Bottom