Will Sony's Censorship Policies Affect CP2077?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. CP 2077 will not be Adults Only. Nope nope nope. I mean, a Red could confirm this, ( and may have already) but we really shouldn't need them to. CDPR wants many many people to enjoy their work, as most creators do. AO would not do them any favours.
Well as Borys says in the demo "Cyberpunk 2077 is a mature game" .. so yeah. :D

I doubt 2077's sex scenes go much further than Witcher 3's did. So I'm assuming no censorship for the PlayStation version. Although if they did release a different version of the game, it'd be enough to make me worry about what else they cut. I'd have to go get an Xbox.

I doubt, Cyberpunk isnt known for its sexism, sure there should plenty of Fashion, but thats it. This seems to be Asia stuff.

Wow, lots of things are happening now, EA is cancelling its Star Wars game etc. I honestly dont get this, Star Wars and EA are like two berries in a pot.

Sexism? You mean sexual content.

There's a large difference between "adult content" and "smut". The argument that there's a huge industry for trashy content is perfectly valid. And, when has mainstream film, television, music, or gaming ever adopted trashy content successfully? Oh -- it has appeared in some mainstream media, and very little of such media ever did well. Most of it flopped badly. It was dismissed as smut and trash. Most people have proven more than capable of identifying the distinction, including the censors. (Despite the occasional contention or arguably bad call, most censors do their job quite well.)

I really don't think Cyberpunk's themes or execution will be in any way compromised by Sony.

There's a large difference between "adult content" and "smut". The argument that there's a huge industry for trashy content is perfectly valid. And, when has mainstream film, television, music, or gaming ever adopted trashy content successfully? Oh -- it has appeared in some mainstream media, and very little of such media ever did well. Most of it flopped badly. It was dismissed as smut and trash. Most people have proven more than capable of identifying the distinction, including the censors. (Despite the occasional contention or arguably bad call, most censors do their job quite well.)

I really don't think Cyberpunk's themes or execution will be in any way compromised by Sony.

Exactly. I think any nudity in the game will be handled really well. I hope we do get casual nudity over too much sexual nudity tho.

There`s no way Sony is going to censor a game and let the opposition get the jump on them . Sony doesn`t want players to go out and buy a Xbox , it would kill sales .

Sexism? You mean sexual content.

Hmm, that too, but sexism too, Cyberpunk's girls arent exactly described as some big boob silicon barbi dolls for example and mens are some alpha wolves.. Its more "roughed up" world, almost like Mad Max or Waterworld movies, or who knows maybe its, we will find out. It might be a good idea to put some sexism in if they ever want some movie deal though, Ive a bad feeling this series isnt going to be as easy as Witcher was.

Hmm, that too, but sexism too, Cyberpunk's girls arent exactly described as some big boob silicon barbi dolls for example and mens are some alpha wolves.. Its more "roughed up" world, almost like Mad Max or Waterworld movies, or who knows maybe its, we will find out. It might be a good idea to put some sexism in if they ever want some movie deal though, Ive a bad feeling this series isnt going to be as easy as Witcher was.

What exactly do you mean by "sexism" in this regard? I'm not sure if the use of the word is incorrect or if I'm not following your intent correctly.

Gender stereotypes? especially in urban area like Night City.

Ah -- so you mean work new forms of gender bias into the culture. I was thinking that's what you were driving at. My guess would be that there will something like that, along with "racial" tension governed by different zones of Night City (rather than actual ethnic or genetic heritage). I can't imagine the general populace of NC being a highly educated, tolerant, and welcoming bunch.

Ah -- so you mean work new forms of gender bias into the culture. I was thinking that's what you were driving at. My guess would be that there will something like that, along with "racial" tension governed by different zones of Night City (rather than actual ethnic or genetic heritage). I can't imagine the general populace of NC being a highly educated, tolerant, and welcoming bunch.

More like some chick walks on the street with nothing on and showing boobies, so stuff like that needs to be censored, males does this too, swinging their penis everywhere publicly. Sexism is almost a protest, you know. Sexual Content is fine btw, some people think it leads to censoring, at least normally its quite mild, I believe in Mass Effect, you saw the shadow of sexing for example, nothing wrong there.

Last edited:
More like some chick walks on the street with nothing on and showing boobies, so stuff like that needs to be censored, males does this too, swinging their penis everywhere publicly. Sexism is almost a protest, you know. Sexual Content is fine btw, some people think it leads to censoring, at least normally its quite mild, I believe in Mass Effect, you saw the shadow of sexing for example, nothing wrong there.

What you're suggesting here would be a pretty drastic departure from anything that's ever been considered acceptable for mainstream media (in any culture). Naturally, nothing that extreme would make it past ANY censors (anywhere). Not with standards as they are in the world today. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that level of nudity would be almost impossible to qualify in a meaningful way, as I can easily argue that I can address the same issues impactfully while simultaneously avoiding "offending the sensibilities" of a significant portion of the audience. In other words, there is no need to go to such an extreme in order to explore the issue. If I choose to go to an extreme, which will invariably be found offensive to many people, how do I justify it? This is exactly where censors step in. It's about society at large. That is a far larger concern than one person's or group's views and freedoms.

This is where different cultures all need to meet in the middle about such things. In that regard, I don't think it's "Sony's" censors, in particular, that will be a deciding factor on what goes into the game or not, but rather what is considered acceptable for such media according to a (roughly) universally accepted status quo.

And just a general reminder about discussions like this -- we're getting dangerously close to real-world views on sexuality and politics. The conversation needs not to go there.

Personally, I think that CDPR has always handled sexuality very effectively in their games. If there's anything included in CP2077 that creates a major stir, I think it's more likely to be language, drug use, and/or a general lack of modern ethics as presented through gameplay. Which is its own can of worms. However, given the nature of those three items, I think it's far easier to push those boundaries without creating the mobs of angry townsfolk with torches an pitchforks.

What you're suggesting here would be a pretty drastic departure from anything that's ever been considered acceptable for mainstream media (in any culture). Naturally, nothing that extreme would make it past ANY censors (anywhere). Not with standards as they are in the world today. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that level of nudity would be almost impossible to qualify in a meaningful way, as I can easily argue that I can address the same issues impactfully while simultaneously avoiding "offending the sensibilities" of a significant portion of the audience. In other words, there is no need to go to such an extreme in order to explore the issue. If I choose to go to an extreme, which will invariably be found offensive to many people, how do I justify it? This is exactly where censors step in. It's about society at large. That is a far larger concern than one person's or group's views and freedoms.

This is where different cultures all need to meet in the middle about such things. In that regard, I don't think it's "Sony's" censors, in particular, that will be a deciding factor on what goes into the game or not, but rather what is considered acceptable for such media according to a (roughly) universally accepted status quo.

And just a general reminder about discussions like this -- we're getting dangerously close to real-world views on sexuality and politics. The conversation needs not to go there.

Personally, I think that CDPR has always handled sexuality very effectively in their games. If there's anything included in CP2077 that creates a major stir, I think it's more likely to be language, drug use, and/or a general lack of modern ethics as presented through gameplay. Which is its own can of worms. However, given the nature of those three items, I think it's far easier to push those boundaries without creating the mobs of angry townsfolk with torches an pitchforks.

Wow, bro. Well I went for extreme I agree. Little bit of sexism wouldnt hurt this game imho. But yeah, my suggestions went over board. Btw, they gotta be more bold with their games. Witcher series is just good example, game industry is exploring the possibilities, they are approaching it slowly, I think Mass Effect was one of the first Mature games to get players attention. but yeah like I said before we arent even close to Western Standards, GTA5 puts strippers and sales go sky high.

Couple posts deleted. Please do not post real world politics / worldview stuff. It's both off topic, and against the Forum Regulations.

In particular, it is prohibited to ... write about political and world-view topics; this does not apply to discussions about topics connected with the worlds depicted in the CDPR products ...

So if it's about politics/worldview stuff within Cyberpunk universe you're okay, when you start talking more generally about worldview topics IRL, we have to splat it.

As far as I know, Sony bans japanese games that have, to some extent, pedophilic material. It's not like they ban everything related to sex. I don't really understand why this thing became this big.

I'm pretty sure that those games were not banned by microsoft as well for the simple reason that they're not being released on Xbox at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom