Will the code included in the physical copy of W3 have the key for GOG or Steam?

+
Will the code included in the physical copy of W3 have the key for GOG or Steam?

So I'd like to use my 20% off at Best Buy membership to buy W3... but what kind of key will I get in the retail box? Will it be a serial for GoG or Steam? I'd much rather prefer a Steam key but if it'll be GoG I guess I'll have to think about price/value of steam integration... It'd be nice to know though so I can make an informed decision...

It'll be a GOG code.

Is this confirmed for all regions, or just some regions? Coz I've ordered the physical edition. Will I have to use the code to download the game via GOG to get the automatic updates etc, or can I still install with the disc and link to GOG somehow for automatic updates?

Is this confirmed for all regions, or just some regions? Coz I've ordered the physical edition. Will I have to use the code to download the game via GOG to get the automatic updates etc, or can I still install with the disc and link to GOG somehow for automatic updates?

Can't answer it all, but here's what we've got.
A lot of you have been asking about the GOG.com code being in the boxed version of the game. The answer is YES! Please check below for more details regarding this fact.

Q: Do I need Internet access to install the retail PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?
A: The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

Q: Will there be any sort of serial number provided in the retail PC box?
A: The game does not require any serial code to install or play. However, each retail PC copy of Wild Hunt will contain an additional GOG.com game code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. See below for details.

Q: What is the GOG.com game code found in the box used for?
The game code grants you access to a digital backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com. You will also receive full software support, i.e. future updates, as well as all the additional content like the 16 Free DLCs, the FLAC & MP3 soundtrack, comics, wallpapers, art book, all voice over packs and more.

Q: Can I install and play the game without the GOG.com game code?
A: Yes you can install and play the game without the game code.

Q: Will I be able to install updates and the free DLCs without using the GOG.com game code?
We decided to offer software support, DLCs, and extra goodies only to gamers who confirm their purchase with the provided game code on GOG.com. This is the only way for us to differentiate between you, honest gamers who bought our game, and pirates who snatched it from the Internet.

Q: Do I need to become a GOG.com user to play the game I just bought?
A: You can install and play the game without becoming a GOG.com user.

Thanks Rivenll.

Q: Will I be able to install updates and the free DLCs without using the GOG.com game code?
We decided to offer software support, DLCs, and extra goodies only to gamers who confirm their purchase with the provided game code on GOG.com. This is the only way for us to differentiate between you, honest gamers who bought our game, and pirates who snatched it from the Internet.

Still confused. I'd rather just install with the disc, but I can download the GOG copy if that is the only way to get automatic updates. Does anyone know how big the PC download file is? =/

Thanks Rivenll.

Still confused. I'd rather just install with the disc, but I can download the GOG copy if that is the only way to get automatic updates. Does anyone know how big the PC download file is? =/

As I understand this, you can install without problem from the disk, but, once installed, you will need to download a small file to activate the game. By registering your game code (which comes with the physical PC retail) on GOG.com, you can access updates, and DLCs, but do not need to download the entire game again for this. As to the size of the file, Marcin said it's 'not big'.

As I understand this, you can install without problem from the disk, but, once installed, you will need to download a small file to activate the game. By registering your game code (which comes with the physical PC retail) on GOG.com, you can access updates, and DLCs, but do not need to download the entire game again for this. As to the size of the file, Marcin said it's 'not big'.

That's encouraging. Thanks.

Hi.

I ordered my Collector's Edition. Is there any way I can install the pre-download from GoG before the game actually comes out?(and I get the code for GOG inside the box)

Cheers.

Top Bottom