Will the Enhanced Edition fix the bug where 'New Boy' gives you a book instead of the amulet?

+
Will the Enhanced Edition fix the bug where 'New Boy' gives you a book instead of the amulet?

According to what I've read, the premium booklet(? or guide?) states that if you choose ~"It's definitely magic, but whether or not it's cursed I don't know.", he gives you the amulet at the dock, after he lives, but what you actually get is a book and you can't do the Melitele's Heart quest.

Will EE fix that? I looked through the fix list a week or so ago, and I didn't remember seeing this. Or has it been fixed already and I've not noticed? (I haven't played through in a while... waiting for the 18th in Australia.)

Anyone know? Thanks.

Are you asking if they'll fix the guide, or the game?
Because if the guide doesn't match the game, isn't it the guide that's wrong?

I'm asking if they'll fix the game. The guide can't be changed, and it seems reasonable that New Boy would give Geralt the amulet considering he doesn't know if it's good or not, and Geralt saved his life.

Here's how it goes. You can only get the amulet through a conversation with him and his friends, later on if he survived you get the book.

CostinMoroianu said:
Here's how it goes. You can only get the amulet through a conversation with him and his friends, later on if he survived you get the book.

We are aware how it goes. (Btw. even when doing what supposedly gets you the amulet, you don't necessarily get the amulet. I for one never got the amulet, having tried every possible path.) The question is whether it will be fixed. Because it seems rather natural that he gives you the amulet thus giving you access to one of the most advantageous quests in the game.

Uh the amulet is pretty useless. +1 Health regeneration outside of combat doesn't mean much.

Chief said:
Uh the amulet is pretty useless. +1 Health regeneration outside of combat doesn't mean much.

Right. This is one quest that differentiates TW2 from games that are (shallowly) measured by the leetness of rewards.

And even so, the quest is not broken, so not in need of fixing. The guide is wrong, but nothing requires the game to adhere to the guide. The correct description is in the Witcher Wiki, at http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Melitele's_Heart

To get the amulet, follow the dialogue choices needed to tell the Reavers that it is bad luck. Otherwise, to get it you must kill Newboy, let the guards kill him, or find his corpse, at the end of the Prologue.

GuyN said:
Right. This is one quest that differentiates TW2 from games that are (shallowly) measured by the leetness of rewards.

And even so, the quest is not broken, so not in need of fixing. The guide is wrong, but nothing requires the game to adhere to the guide. The correct description is in the Witcher Wiki, at http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Melitele's_Heart

To get the amulet, follow the dialogue choices needed to tell the Reavers that it is bad luck. Otherwise, to get it you must kill Newboy or find his corpse, at the end of the Prologue.

I told them it could be cursed. I didn't get it. As said.
Apart from that, I think it is an important quest, because EVERY quest in Chapt. 1 gives you something for it. So you feel rather done by when you can't make it.

Did you tell them that it could be cursed because you were expecting them to give you the amulet? There's nothing in the game itself that indicates that you may get a reward from them for saying this, or for any other answer, so you should be saying what you think is the right answer. How could Geralt possibly have anticipated the circumstances that led to him meeting up with Newboy again a few days later and suddenly being given the amulet, or a dragon book, or anything else?

If you relied on the guide to tell you what to say, then tough luck. The guide is supposed to reflect the game, not specify how the game is supposed to work. If there's a difference, it's the guide that's wrong.

And if you really, really want to do the quest, there's a mod to get it later here.
http://witcher.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12

Gah, that's too bad. I really think it sucks, because my natural answer is not the one that gets me the amulet -- and I do all quests if possible, so my hand is forced in regard to dialogue. I suppose it's not too bad, as it does seem to be bringing them trouble, and it is actually cursed, so saying so isn't such a big deal I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Frithu said:
I told them it could be cursed. I didn't get it. As said.
Apart from that, I think it is an important quest, because EVERY quest in Chapt. 1 gives you something for it. So you feel rather done by when you can't make it.

Wrong path. It definitely works (just did it twice in two days), and the correct path is a different one.

You have to draw them out and talk about how it did not protect the shrine, then tell them it brings bad luck.

Is the quest important (in terms of story, reward or otherwise)? I missed it too, and I am wondering whether downloading the "fix" is worth it.

No importance, and the reward is minor.

You get a good battle with a horde of wraiths and one of the best speeches in the game from Anezka if you follow through.

Chief said:

I don't care if it's useless, I just love the quest, especially the herbalist/witch lady, (been too long since I played, can't remember her name) she's awesome. I'll bet you, unlike the sorceresses, she remained fertile while practicing her magic.

Top Bottom