Will the MODKit eventually become an "editor" like REDKit?

+
Will the MODKit eventually become an "editor" like REDKit?

In all of the old interviews CDpjRed stated they will release an 'EDITOR'. I understand this MODKit edits files, but I'm hoping to create new maps and cities, new mobs (and be able to place them) and the like. From what i see from these mod tools, its more of a programmers paradise. Will this eventually become Redkit for the artist or no?

I'm sure they will release the REDKIT down the line and hopefully before the end of the year. I'm guessing they released the Modkit for everyone to get started modding the game cause as you know, the sooner you release a modding tool for a game, the more active and frequent the modding scene becomes. CDPR is heading into the right direction and I hope the modding scene for Witcher 3 becomes as big as Skyrim's and heck...maybe even surpass it? We'd need REDKIT for that to happen.

IsengrimR

So much for recreating Vizima in Witcher 3, or adding locations.

That's very disappointing, then. If you want to compete with TES in terms of modding, that's not the way to do it, I'm afraid. Play with scripts and change assets. Well, because people weren't doing that already... oh, wait, they were.

Better than nothing CDPR, but not really much to go with, comparatively. Not only released way too late for most people to care, but also very limited in what it can go. I suppose it will have a checkmark when "mod support" goes, but that's about it.

I understand that neither me, nor anybody else, has anything to demand in this case, because that would be too much entitlement ( and even I would admit it ), but, I have to say, as with Witcher 3, I expected more with Witcher 3 Modkit.

It would allow players to fill in the lacking endgame, put in new locations in the wilderness, oh, the possibilities. Which is why it's rather disappointing.

But hey, that's just me, plus, I'm mostly a mod consumer ( in a manner of speaking ), so maybe I shouldn't talk too too much about it.

Last edited:
Feeling a bit frustrated and disappointed now, to be honest. All the long wait... for a command line tool to im- and export some files?
Why didn't they just say that they dropped the plans to release a full fledged RedKit2 far, far earlier? That would have cost you exactly ten seconds on Twitter and would have saved some of us literally weeks of getting excited about a software that's most probably never going to be released.

Last edited:
I'd be seriously surprised if CDPR chose not to release an advanced editor in the near future. If I was to guess, this is simply something to get the ball rolling, something to get modders started with. As @berserker66666 said above, it would be strange to leave it as this, especially given how popular TES is in this regard. Patience, people.

Last edited:
Remains to be seen all we can do with it. They did say we can tweak UI and gameplay, which is a lot. I mean the ability to set higher difficulties and rebalance loot, XP, economy etc are what could most benefit the game for people like me. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be an actual modding kit like what we got for TW2. So that means no new maps ( which would have been awesome) or new fan made adventures. And the post on Twitter was pretty clear. This is all we're going to get. I honestly think they don't have the time and manpower to do a full modding kit, but their comment about not wanting to 'partition' the Witcher community only means less PC/modding support in the future.

Last edited:
This is good intention: getting something out the door as early as possible. I'd bet there will be a full Editor at some point. *crossing fingers*. Fortunately W3 is almost at Skyrim ENB modded quality for visuals, (body mesh/textures need upgrading) all that really needs to be added is 'sandbox' gameplay; repair post story relationships; tweaking/improve some of the decor and visuals; add a character creation to create your own look. . . I guess lots can be done;

I'm so roped into TES modding; every time I log into Skyrim, a game with over 500 mods added (250ish esp), my jaw drops at the stunning visuals and the vastness of endless fractal gamplay >> Skyrim modding community is amazing; high quality Yen follower is now available and another combat mod being developed to use skill-based Dark Soul mechanics.

Unfortunately my speciality is world space mapping/modeling and architecture. (rl job), so I'm going to have to wait until something with a competent UI and access to these assets: CDPR is likely sorting out how to handle modding world space -- then we'll see the rest of the modding tools.

MODkit Instead of REDKit

So anyone else disappointed by CDPR releasing a Modkit instead of a REDKit? I mean it's great and all that there's a modding tool but this Modkit's potential modding is severely crippled and the whole process is quite tedious. CDPR stated on numerous articles that they'd release a REDKit soon after the game's out, not this "Modkit". The modding community for Witcher 3 is at its prime now. REDkit would've allowed us to do a lot more in terms of modding potentials. The articles mentioning about REdkit:

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-mod-support-tools-confirmed-cd-projekt-red-ceo/#ixzz3injySBIi

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04...ble-want-to-give-as-much-freedom-as-possible/

And what we were slapped in the face with

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/632182348260470784

Last edited:
Disappointed? No, I didn't think they were planning to release anything before finishing the expansion (as they had mentioned at some point that they were prioritizing expansion over redkit). I definitely still hope they will eventually release the full redkit tho, so we can actually make content not just change some of it.

The thing is, Fallout 4 is coming out in November WITH their own CreationKit from the get go like Skyrim's (Which took 3 months). If CDPR keeps delaying the REDKIT release till who knows when, the modding community for Witcher 3 will diminish significantly. I just wish they release the REDKIT soon before it's too late.

Yeah... it's a bit sad. But i'm happy that they actually released something relatively soon (and very thankful for it). REDKit would have been extremely awesome, but oh well. I still think REDKit will come someday, but i believe it will probably be too late by then. (Fallout 4 will gather the attention of most modders. This is sad for me because i really want to see a lot of mods for W3)

I'm not mad at all, just a bit disappointed because of expectations. I'm still more happy than sad about this.

Nope, this is all we are getting. These should not be called "mod tools" IMO. Its just an utility for packing/unpacking a file container, and there isn't much the modding community can do with this. We will probably see some improved texture packs, some minor tweaking, and stupid stuff (nude mods, etc), but we are not going to see any new quests or anything else CDPR talked about. Sadly, the Witcher 3 modding scene will be stillborn as a result.

It would be nice to see an official announcement here (not some random reply from the PR folks on twitter) that the promised "RedKit 2" is in fact officially cancelled.

This modkit is a joke and CDPR should be ashamed about themselves if this is the only thing they will bring out to mod the game. Its as much a joke as the W3 is a good game. CDPR is now on the list of companies that I won't be trusting anymore. If they think giving us the free DLC makes up for not giving us a RedKit2 they are very wrong! Not giving us a RedKit2 means the same as telling the community: F...Y...! Well CDPR deserves the same words from the community at this point. Lets stay silent for a long time, thats what all game companies do when they have something bad to hide. Bragging months ahead of release date about giving away free DLC which is not worth anyway to pay money for. But staying silent for months about things you won't be delivering. If you guys at CDPR would have had balls, you would have told us up front there would be no RedKit for this game. But no, that would probably be bad on the sales figures. So lets stay silent about it and lets disaappoint the community at a later point. Well I will say it again: F... Y... CDPR !!!

@emrdesign You said it. CDPR's been stating about the REDKIT not days, not months but several freaking YEARS. It's been stated in many articles (IGN, WCC, Dualshocker and several others), recorded in video form which are on Youtube and at the end of the day, THIS pathetic "Modkit" is what we get? This would not be the first time CDPR lied to us if you know what mean (Graphics). I'm absolutely gutted by this.

At roughly 31:00 you can hear him discussing the modding tools, how they need time for the modding tools since at the moment the tools are in bad shape, not being user friendly and tend to crash often. I'd imagine it being quite beneficial to fix that and get the engine to be more stable in the long run, since I really doubt CD Projekt RED is going to make an entirely new engine for Cyberpunk 2077.

I can only think of two possible outcomes.

1) RedKit 2 is coming but it's still far away (mid-late 2016), in PR talks "not planning" doesn't always mean never going to happen, isn't that the same they said about New Game + ? See how that turned out.

2) There really won't be any legit modding tools, Witcher 3 will be mostly forgotten by the time the 2 expansions are out. Meanwhile Skyrim still gets hundreds of mods released monthly, despite being almost 5 years old by then and Fallout 4 being out already. But it's all good since we got Geralt wearing poorly retextured "slav clothes" and a rainbow unicorn, right ?

:smile:

I don't think getting pissed off at CD Projekt RED and throwing bricks into their windows will help. It would be pretty neat if people actually downloaded the RedKit for Witcher 2 and started creating small quest/map mods for it, the tools don't seem that hard to use and that way we could actually show CD Projekt RED that there is demand for actual editor and not retextures/nude mods/script mods that you can only use one at a time.

Honestly, I'd take a buggy, non-user-friendly, crashing Redkit over this. I can't even get started as I crash at uncooking every time.

It IS a bone thrown to us, but it's not the best bone in the world. I'm happy they gave it to us, but come on, guys. You go from the astounding Redkit to this? Bad move. In everything I've read it's been an almost unanimous negative reaction. And Marcin's "This is all we're releasing" comment put another nail in the proverbial coffin. I really want to stay loyal, and I really want to mod TW3, but at this point Fallout4 is looking better and better.

Breaking it down: Users had already figured out how to edit textures. The mesh editing IS nice, and the best thing about this Modkit. The script mods thing, though? It's kind of a joke. If you can only use one at a time, who's going to bother? I don't think downloading w2's Redkit and posting a bunch of w2 mods will show them anything, though it was an inspired idea, Arvuti.

All in all, it's just been a big disappointment. Huge excitement, then download, then disappointment.

Sigh.

:scaredpeasant:

I think it will be released eventually. The ModKit is littered with files related to REDKit. A bunch of UI stuff, configs, keymappings for quest/worldbuilding tools. CDPR wanted to get something out fast, so we got the ability to edit textures, meshes and scripts for now.

I really, really hope they will release Quest building stuff at the very least. Let us create dialogue and place stuff in the world, even if we can't edit the map.

Top Bottom