Will the PC gimp the console version?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the PC gimp the console version?

we have all seen the specs of the ps4 and xbox720 will be pretty close and my question is that will the fact that its coming on all 3 platforms gimp the console versions? the average gaming computer is a 2gb 2 core machine, with consoles having 8 cores and 8GB RAM in a closed box. and we all know that having 8gb on consoles is a lot more powerful than just 8 on a pc. and they cant make the game that looks so much better on consoles than PC will the console versions be gimped?

Uhm. This seems a -bit- like a troll thread, made out of irritation to our general lack of sympathy for the PS4 reveal. I hope I'm wrong, but, yeah.

Perhaps you missed the bit where Watch Dogs was running on a PC for the reveal?

Perhaps you are unaware that PC games are designed for upper limits on PCs- see Ubersampling in the Witcher 2 as an example.

Your comment about "we all know 8 gb on a console is way more powerful" tells me that there isn't much point talking hardware architecture or what place RAM, even GDDR5 RAM, has in said architecture. I also won't speak to the video card issue for the same reason.

I've responded civilly, but, again, this does seem like a thread designed to stir a negative emotional response from it's viewers.

Nah. I have been on the CDPR forums for years. Just new to this one. :cool:
Duly noted.

But, to the topic, yeah; even the most bleeding edge consoles, at the time of their launch, can be dwarfed by a top-of-the-line gaming rig at that point in time. Given a few years for PC hardware to advance, versus the static hardware set of a console, and the gap widens.

maybe you meant the reverse of your topic OP

He aint a troll just look at the post count. If it's a low number like 1 or 2 it's probably a troll.

im serious, games get optimized for console specs it cant be done for PC cause it has to fit every PC available.
im worried it might hold back the console versions. what do you guys think?

Duly noted.

But, to the topic, yeah; even the most bleeding edge consoles, at the time of their launch, can be dwarfed by a top-of-the-line gaming rig at that point in time. Given a few years for PC hardware to advance, versus the static hardware set of a console, and the gap widens.
Pretty much this. The OP is missing one key point. PC games generally come with a range of graphic options and resolutions. So, some pcs will meet the minimum spec and look only ok and others will max out and look spectacular. See TW2 as a perfect example.

im serious, games get optimized for console specs it cant be done for PC cause it has to fit every PC available.
im worried it might hold back the console versions. what do you guys think?

PC versions can be scaled down for your hardware spec if you have a more low-end pc. Just tweak the options. However on the flipside you can have it scale to infinity. One of the jokes for the first crysis was that no one could crank it up to max at release, the same rings true for Crysis 3 which at max with all options enabled @1080p won't have 60fps for the absolute vast majority of gamers. Do Crytek care? No! Because they know that a year from now, everyone with high end system will be able to run it well at max and even mod it to look even better and be more hardware intensive.
People like you seem to think the pc is static and retains the same specs for years, for everyone. Which is plain wrong. Developers don't make their games for the low-end gamers, they make them for high-end gamers with options to scale it down for older hardware. That is how things work. This how it should work, because that is progress.
Consoles however retain their hardware for years until a new model is released which stagnates graphical fidelity among other things.

And don't even get me started on your alarming ignorance on how pc and console architecture differs.

Eh, NVidia's already beaten the PS4 and next XBox with their newest card the GTX Titan (MSRP $999) and is named and made with parts from the Titan Supercomputer based in Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

*pulls out a hacksaw* Now if some of you would hold still, I'm gonna need more body parts to sell along side my own to get one of those... :p

This is now the third or fourth console vs PC flame thread you've started Pris2013. Must you continue?

If a game is being developed for PC / console, it should be optimized for PC first, as PC hardware will continue to scale upwards from a game's development / release date. After that, it can be ported over to console.

As an aside: should we still beat on this horse? I think I saw it twitching.

Better give it a few more lumps, just to make sure... *thwack*

I know how a pc and console differ and you dont seem to understand how on consoles the code is specialized and optimized for that hardware getting much better results than a pc with the same specs.

Eh, NVidia's already beaten the PS4 and next XBox with their newest card the GTX Titan (MSRP $999) and is named and made with parts from the Titan Supercomputer based in Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

*pulls out a hacksaw* Now if some of you would hold still, I'm gonna need more body parts to sell along side my own to get one of those... :p

wow a graphics card that costs more than the xbox720 and ps4 combined outperforms nextgen consoles?????!!! stop the presses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom