Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
Collectors Edition + Steam = ?

So I'm so excited for Witcher 3 and I can't wait to get my hands on it... I'm actually waiting for the Collectors Edition announcement.
However I'm conflicted about the available information.
So to simplify... All I wanna ask is this;
Will I be able to connect a Collectors Edition with my Steam account, activate it, and enjoy achievements and cards like everyone else or will I have to separately buy a Steam copy for that?

Sorry of this topic is already discussed... I've been searching..

edit: i only now saw this thread, thanks for moving my post.... i see the topic has not clear answer yet.

Last edited:
"i see the topic has not clear answer yet."

Lol. The topic is very clear. The Witcher 3 at retail, that means the standard editions and the collectors editions, will have NO-DRM and that means there will be, no codes in the box. Is that clear enough for you? No codes in the box. No online activation of any kind. No proving that you have bought the game. No internet needed. No limitations. No DRM.

If you want the Steam version for, as you say, achievements and cards, then you will have to buy the game from Steam. Retail will not = Steam. And it shouldn't. Retail should not be an extension of Steam. Steam should stay digital distribution only. Steam should not be in retail. Retail is not digital distribution. Retail can sell digital codes but don't put those codes in a box with a disc. That is wrong.

So to be clear. lol. If you want the collectors edition of The Witcher 3 and you also want the Steam version, then you will have to buy the retail collectors edition and go to Steam to buy the digital copy of the game. Yes that means you have to buy it twice. If you are worried about price, then play the retail version of the game and wait for a Steam Sale.

Stop asking for DRM in a NON-DRM retail product.

Last edited:
If Galaxy is not going to be a big part of The Witcher 3 launch then yes I can see them using backups to try and get people using Galaxy. Getting backups later down the road would be nice. I will also be buying The Witcher 3 on GOG.com as like a thank you and seeing as they get more of the money to make Cyberpunk 2077. We all should be buying a GOG.com digital copy if they not your first choice in buying the game. I don't think backup codes will be necessary because a lot of people will be buying The Witcher 3 from GOG.com. The backup codes for Witcher 1 and 2 was about getting people on GOG.com. Now GOG.com is well known and people are using GOG.com now more than ever. So The Witcher 3 backup codes will most likely not happen. And that's ok.

I just realized that people can probably make a backup copy of the game themselves by copying the installation files from the retail DVD on their hard drive. Normally this kind of thing is prevented by various forms of DRM, but since the retail version won't have DRM, this will probably be possible.

I just realized that people can probably make a backup copy of the game themselves by copying the installation files from the retail DVD on their hard drive. Normally this kind of thing is prevented by various forms of DRM, but since the retail version won't have DRM, this will probably be possible.

Yes, it will.

I was referring to a digital backup. For instants, HDD crash, disc scratched, ect. Digital backup means that you can download a copy of the game, always, well as long as there are servers. But we will most likely not get digital backup copies this time around. Just buy a digital copy of the game and support CDPR.

Yeah, NO DRM means you can do what ever the fuck you want to do with the product you bought, so long as you read the disclaimer at the back of the box. lol.

Well mr Lrrr for starters thanks for the warm welcome and please do chill the fuck out a bit, and yes i know what NO DRM means, and no the topic is not very clear as long as it's not closed with an official announcement that says that there won't be a future optional way to make a Steam activation through a Collectors Edition copy.

I demand extra dipping sauce with my collectors edition.

How you going to activate something with no code. Take a photo of the packaging and disc. Do you think Steam will just hand out Steam games for free just because you bought the collectors edition. Do you think CDPR is going to hand over money to Steam just so you can get a free game code. It ain't going to happen.

CDPR said that there are no plans for digital back-up copy's on GOG.com. But that's not the issue here. You people want Steam codes from a retail non-drm product. That ain't going to happen. Ever. If you want a code go buy the game from Steam. They will give you a DRM code.

CDPR is releasing The Witcher 3 the right way. Retail and digital. And now Steam people are looking for hand outs. Conditioned with the wrong way, retail = Steam extension, and now can't grasp that retail = retail. Dude, where's my Steam code?

And welcome I guess.

Last edited:
Well mr Lrrr for starters thanks for the warm welcome and please do chill the fuck out a bit, and yes i know what NO DRM means, and no the topic is not very clear as long as it's not closed with an official announcement that says that there won't be a future optional way to make a Steam activation through a Collectors Edition copy.

There is nothing about the Collector's Edition that entitles you to anything that is not in the Collector's Edition. If you want Steam bennies, get the game on Steam. That's your answer. Do not demand an answer of the developers; they do not answer demands on the forum.

There is nothing about the Collector's Edition that entitles you to anything that is not in the Collector's Edition. If you want Steam bennies, get the game on Steam. That's your answer. Do not demand an answer of the developers; they do not answer demands on the forum.

Never demanded for an answer of the developers. I only stated that I didn't find a clear answer, and I would though prefer it if people tried to be polite in a forum.
But yeah, thanks for clearing it up to me. And I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I already moved into preordering a separate Digital Edition while waiting for the Collectors Edition to make an official pricing and appearance on Amazon uk.

Will the GOG or physical Pc copy have any achievements like the Steam version?

Pure speculation here. So take it with a teaspoon of salt.

In one of the E3 2014 demos we did see "Achievements" in the menu:

So my guess is that the game will have some sort of "native achievement support".

Some Questions about the Collectors Edition from Amazon

Hello together,

since i always bought the CE for witcher to support CD Project, i intend to do the same this time and have my CE pre ordered. Now i just worry about two things. Will i be able to activate my copy on steam and second is there any possibility to get a key for pre load at all? First is the more important question as i would like to have it in my steam collection too.. and buying the game twice, is a bit much for me.

Hello together,

since i always bought the CE for witcher to support CD Project, i intend to do the same this time and have my CE pre ordered. Now i just worry about two things. Will i be able to activate my copy on steam and second is there any possibility to get a key for pre load at all? First is the more important question as i would like to have it in my steam collection too.. and buying the game twice, is a bit much for me.

It may be possible to put it into your Steam library, but it won't be a Steam game (achievements and so on) unless you buy it at Steam. Regarding keys for pre-load, please refer to the answer CDPR gave an hour ago.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34984-Pre-load-TW3?p=1610702&viewfull=1#post1610702

Does the physical copy have a key?

My cd tray is broken but I'd rather have the physical extras for this game rather than preordering online. So does anyone know if the physical copy will have a steam/gog key so I can buy the physical copy but use a key to download & install it?
Thanks.

My cd tray is broken but I'd rather have the physical extras for this game rather than preordering online. So does anyone know if the physical copy will have a steam/gog key so I can buy the physical copy but use a key to download & install it?
Thanks.

No digital download for physical versions. The best thing you will be able to do is either buy a cheap optical drive, or get a big enough USB stick, go some where you can transfer the installation files from the DvDs to the USB stick, and then use the USB stick to install the game.

No digital download for physical versions. The best thing you will be able to do is either buy a cheap optical drive, or get a big enough USB stick, go some where you can transfer the installation files from the DvDs to the USB stick, and then use the USB stick to install the game.

Any proof?

Any proof?

A couple of weeks ago, yes, there was proof. GOG had a FAQ that explicitly said that there was no "backup" digital copy being provided for non-GOG purchases. Last week, there was an indication that cdp.pl were giving digital backups, but there's been no official word from CDPR on whether or not this is correct, or the scope of it.

There is definitely no Steam key.

Suggestions?

I ordered a CE from Amazon.com but I will be moving in September and, most likely, will be unable to bring that giant box with me initially. Being able to redeem a cd key on GOG would be cool but it's out of the question at the moment.

So suggestions: buy the digital version instead? Bring the installation cd's with me?

I'm already spending way too much money on a video game, I don't want to buy both.

Top Bottom