Will there ever be a built in option to be able to romance any NPC?

+

Would you really like option to be able to just fall in love with any NPC without rejection?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I kind of wonder if we will ever get an option in the menu, or some kind of community made mod that allows all Romance compatible NPC's to fall in love with V regardless of the choices you pick? What if you love an NPC, but they don't love you back just because x silly reason? I can kind of feel this coming. I'm playing the game, I REALLY like an NPC, and I want them and V (in my single player game) to, well, you know, *cough* because they would make a sweet couple, you know? Whoever it may be. So then... it just straight up doesn't work out. NPC flat out is like "Nah I wont, I don't like you, I can't do a relationship with you, because x silly reason, yea sorry" I mean, It's kinda painful enough I get turned down in real life haha, (not haha) but like, does an NPC really need to be programed to automatically not like me? I guess maybe, since maybe they're simulating preferences or something. Maybe it could be an option in New Game + ? Maybe the second playthrough, all the NPC's are just like "You're interested in me? Okay I love you back, no questions asked" I mean, What if there is a special person you want V to be, but that special person is forever incompatible with a very special someone in game, and you can never ever ever be with them, unless you become something that YOU are NOT. You get what I'm saying? It would make me really sad. What are everyones thoughts on this?

My thoughts are no means no :).

I get the feeling CDPR was shooting for more depth with characters in this area. They have preferences unique to them. The sex, traits, moral compass, etc. they find attractive. Without those preferences you don't get that depth. At least, not nearly as much of it.

NPC A doesn't match well with the player character. It happens. Too many games nowadays make every option presented to the player entirely too available. IMO, it's better when there is give and take, pros and cons, real consequences for taking one path over another.

But... a game option available to the player... Sure, why not?

Keive

Forum regular
The game speaks a lot about being immersive, part of that is reflecting things in real life as well. I think that the NPCs should all have their own morals and perhaps they could be swayed even if you are a different lifepath choice. However I wouldn't say you should be able to sway someone of a different sexuality since, ya know, you can't do that irl, seems a bit invalidating to some people irl though I understand it is just a game.

My thoughts are no means no :).

I get the feeling CDPR was shooting for more depth with characters in this area. They have preferences unique to them. The sex, traits, moral compass, etc. they find attractive. Without those preferences you don't get that depth. At least, not nearly as much of it.

NPC A doesn't match well with the player character. It happens. Too many games nowadays make every option presented to the player entirely too available. IMO, it's better when there is give and take, pros and cons, real consequences for taking one path over another.

But... a game option available to the player... Sure, why not?
Yea I totally understand that, and I sort of kind of want to experience my first playthrough normally and see how that whole system works, and then eventually I would select that option if available and just pick the waifu I really want V to be with, assuming the game didn't make it possible on the first time, without the option selected to fall in love with any NPC.
Post automatically merged:

The game speaks a lot about being immersive, part of that is reflecting things in real life as well. I think that the NPCs should all have their own morals and perhaps they could be swayed even if you are a different lifepath choice. However I wouldn't say you should be able to sway someone of a different sexuality since, ya know, you can't do that irl, seems a bit invalidating to some people irl though I understand it is just a game.
Yea, I understand, but it's also a single player game. Nobody has to really experience my choices but me, which is why I would eventually like the option to have more freedom eventually.

also all the romances are more like mini quests. you'll have to interact with them several times in ways that don't cause them to dislike you in order to achieve the romance. which is something i really appreciate.
the sex workers will probably still have preferences but probably not as...emotionally particular :]

crosslinking Madae's thread (Very similar topic)
Post automatically merged:

also all the romances are more like mini quests. you'll have to interact with them several times in ways that don't cause them to dislike you in order to achieve the romance. which is something i really appreciate.
the sex workers will probably still have preferences but probably not as...emotionally particular :]
Wouldn't it be a really heartwarming story if you keep visiting a working person, and then they actually fall in love with you and leave that life behind because they only want to be with you from now on?

Last edited:

G30M1

Forum regular
Hm. Well, if Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to have characters that feel like real people, then no.

Pestering someone to get them to fall in love with you is a terrible idea and never works.
Giving V the ability to avoid consent is also awful.

So, I dunno. Unless your dream is to play a horrible person... I don't know why you would want this?

Hm. Well, if Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to have characters that feel like real people, then no.

Pestering someone to get them to fall in love with you is a terrible idea and never works.
Giving V the ability to avoid consent is also awful.

So, I dunno. Unless your dream is to play a horrible person... I don't know why you would want this?
I think you're making some very big assumptions about what I'm saying here. I can't believe you would go out of your way to want to believe that I mean to somehow force people to fall in love with me, or do anything non-consent wise, which would be highly inappropriate. Why not simply assume that I mean the nicest thing possible? I'm just saying, and I'll try to be really clear here, maybe there's a setting in the game files that I can change, and that change makes it so that I can befriend and fall in love with (With consent only of course) any NPC, rather than have one of them tell me "I wont even date you because X silly reason"

Normally, I understand the NPC's, just like real people in real life, will have preferences. I am just worried that the way I design my V, that some NPC's, especially the ones I really fall in love with, may never ever like my V no matter what, permanently blocking that specific V character from ever being able to fall in love with them and get married long term relationship/ live happily ever after. Please read the rest of this thread and the other thread cross linked in that other post above if you want, it goes into more detail if you're interested in understanding more reasons why I think it might be a good idea.

Also lets be real here, this is a single player game. The NPC's are fictional characters in a video game. YES preferences = more immersion and I LIKE that.
However, I fear that at some point I will get stuck, and be unable to successfully romance and achieve long term relationship with my preferred partner. That NPC's could have the best personality, and be the best nicest person in the game, but they're like "No I don't like this V, make a new V and start all over again"

So maybe on my New Game + I enable that setting, and then I can befriend and date that NPC whereas previously it would have been impossible.

Keive

Forum regular
I think you're making some very big assumptions about what I'm saying here. I can't believe you would go out of your way to want to believe that I mean to somehow force people to fall in love with me, or do anything non-consent wise, which would be highly inappropriate. Why not simply assume that I mean the nicest thing possible? I'm just saying, and I'll try to be really clear here, maybe there's a setting in the game files that I can change, and that change makes it so that I can befriend and fall in love with (With consent only of course) any NPC, rather than have one of them tell me "I wont even date you because X silly reason"

Normally, I understand the NPC's, just like real people in real life, will have preferences. I am just worried that the way I design my V, that some NPC's, especially the ones I really fall in love with, may never ever like my V no matter what, permanently blocking that specific V character from ever being able to fall in love with them and get married long term relationship/ live happily ever after. Please read the rest of this thread and the other thread cross linked in that other post above if you want, it goes into more detail if you're interested in understanding more reasons why I think it might be a good idea.

Also lets be real here, this is a single player game. The NPC's are fictional characters in a video game. YES preferences = more immersion and I LIKE that.
However, I fear that at some point I will get stuck, and be unable to successfully romance and achieve long term relationship with my preferred partner. That NPC's could have the best personality, and be the best nicest person in the game, but they're like "No I don't like this V, make a new V and start all over again"

So maybe on my New Game + I enable that setting, and then I can befriend and date that NPC whereas previously it would have been impossible.
There is a problem that can happen with this though.

Let's say your V identifies as female and goes by she/her pronouns, but you romance another female who is straight (but make her open to all options for V through modding or whatever) then you two are happily together right?

But the voice actor wouldn't have lines talking about female V at all, no, it will all center around male V.
You'll hear stuff that all goes towards male V, hearing "He/him/his" constantly and it won't match your female V. Also your V would never have responses towards them because she wasn't even meant to romance her.

So the following scenario can happen :

"This is V, HIM and I have been together for awhile" - Female Partner (Modded)
"------" Female V (Who never had lines to answer this female partner)

Then it'll just continue like that, awkward weird dialogue with no responses and maybe even clunky animations because this character was never meant to have certain physical moments (and I really just even mean like hugging) with this V.

Uh, you are letting people choose the voting options of "Maybe it's added that if V tries heard enough, can somehow win the hearts of incompatible NPC's? " and "V gets a wild cyber pheromone upgrade called cupids arrow that makes the NPCS fall in love with them "

That's why.

Also, assuming someone's reason for not wanting to date V as 'silly' sounds like you don't respect others decisions in dating. Which, as playing V, makes V a jerk.
If everyone in game was willing to drop their pants for V it would be really unrealistic and boring. But I guess if that's what you want?

Uh, you are letting people choose the voting options of "Maybe it's added that if V tries heard enough, can somehow win the hearts of incompatible NPC's? " and "V gets a wild cyber pheromone upgrade called cupids arrow that makes the NPCS fall in love with them "

That's why.

Also, assuming someone's reason for not wanting to date V as 'silly' sounds like you don't respect others decisions in dating. Which, as playing V, makes V a jerk.
If everyone in game was willing to drop their pants for V it would be really unrealistic and boring. But I guess if that's what you want?
My feelings are still hurt that you believe I have any malicious intent, and we're talking about npc's. in a video game. Please don't project onto me these ideas that I'm a villain or something... ouch! :sad: and anyways, trying hard enough doesn't have to mean something awful or horrible or evil. Maybe V just brings them many boxes of cyber chocolates and cyber flowers and then they're like "wow you really do love me a lot.... maybe I will consider you now, you're special after all"

Oh my gosh... why are you assuming that everything has to do with intercourse? dropping pants? Really!? No no no! I'm talking relationships! Intercourse is just a thing people do, relationships require LOVE. Love matters much more. I don't even understand the point of intercourse without love anyway, so again, please don't assume that I just want to go around the entire game just doing... Things... with just random, well, everyone.... No no no no no no no!

And how is V a jerk? V doesn't automatically just do the worst thing you could ever imagine, there's like, lots of very good choices, you can be a very nice V too. You know what I mean?

Consider this: You make your custom V. You walk around, you drive around, you play for 100+ hours. Suddenly, you find the most best nicest most beautiful person with a kind personality, best partner (in your eyes) for your V, PERFECT. You ask them out on a date, and they say "No! I will never date you V, because X reason" I would be SO sad. Would you be sad? I mean, Of course we would both in that situation have to respect the wishes and preferences of that person in the game, naturally. However, while this does increase immersion, it does increase the risk, the chances that the PERFECT partner in the entire game for you, or for me, whoever we find, whatever our preferences as living human beings may be, There runs a very real risk that THAT specific NPC, may be exactly the NPC we can not have, simply because we "made the wrong type of V for that character" You know what I mean?

So what I'm proposing, is that CDPR possibly include an OPTION, in the settings, maybe in the settings of New Game + only, that changes these preferences of the NPC's so that they can overlook some of their differences with V and actually consider dating V whereas previously it would have been impossible.

Then the player can experience both playthroughs where preferences are enabled and they get turned down, thus increasing immersion, and their other possibly second playthrough where preferences in NPC's are disabled and V can WITH CONSENT OF COURSE...... date whichever NPC they want, and progress through a dating experience and actually get married and live happily ever after with whatever NPC is special in their heart.

I really sincerely truly hope I have finally made myself so so clear that it is now impossible to be misunderstood any further.

Thank you kindly for reading.

Edit: to further clarify, I mean like NPC's that are already possible to date/romance etc. Not random basic NPC's.

My feelings are still hurt that you believe I have any malicious intent, and we're talking about npc's. in a video game. Please don't project onto me these ideas that I'm a villain or something... ouch! :sad: and anyways, trying hard enough doesn't have to mean something awful or horrible or evil. Maybe V just brings them many boxes of cyber chocolates and cyber flowers and then they're like "wow you really do love me a lot.... maybe I will consider you now, you're special after all"

Oh my gosh... why are you assuming that everything has to do with intercourse? dropping pants? Really!? No no no! I'm talking relationships! Intercourse is just a thing people do, relationships require LOVE. Love matters much more. I don't even understand the point of intercourse without love anyway, so again, please don't assume that I just want to go around the entire game just doing... Things... with just random, well, everyone.... No no no no no no no!

And how is V a jerk? V doesn't automatically just do the worst thing you could ever imagine, there's like, lots of very good choices, you can be a very nice V too. You know what I mean?

Consider this: You make your custom V. You walk around, you drive around, you play for 100+ hours. Suddenly, you find the most best nicest most beautiful person with a kind personality, best partner (in your eyes) for your V, PERFECT. You ask them out on a date, and they say "No! I will never date you V, because X reason" I would be SO sad. Would you be sad? I mean, Of course we would both in that situation have to respect the wishes and preferences of that person in the game, naturally. However, while this does increase immersion, it does increase the risk, the chances that the PERFECT partner in the entire game for you, or for me, whoever we find, whatever our preferences as living human beings may be, There runs a very real risk that THAT specific NPC, may be exactly the NPC we can not have, simply because we "made the wrong type of V for that character" You know what I mean?

So what I'm proposing, is that CDPR possibly include an OPTION, in the settings, maybe in the settings of New Game + only, that changes these preferences of the NPC's so that they can overlook some of their differences with V and actually consider dating V whereas previously it would have been impossible.

Then the player can experience both playthroughs where preferences are enabled and they get turned down, thus increasing immersion, and their other possibly second playthrough where preferences in NPC's are disabled and V can WITH CONSENT OF COURSE...... date whichever NPC they want, and progress through a dating experience and actually get married and live happily ever after with whatever NPC is special in their heart.

I really sincerely truly hope I have finally made myself so so clear that it is now impossible to be misunderstood any further.

Thank you kindly for reading.

Edit: to further clarify, I mean like NPC's that are already possible to date/romance etc. Not random basic NPC's.

But one mega problem other than morals is that it won't work in the game.

You literally won't get dialogue choices that make sense, like I said before.

You'll literally have that NPC never be able to address you right. They don't even have lines for your V then.

There is a problem that can happen with this though.

Let's say your V identifies as female and goes by she/her pronouns, but you romance another female who is straight (but make her open to all options for V through modding or whatever) then you two are happily together right?

But the voice actor wouldn't have lines talking about female V at all, no, it will all center around male V.
You'll hear stuff that all goes towards male V, hearing "He/him/his" constantly and it won't match your female V. Also your V would never have responses towards them because she wasn't even meant to romance her.

So the following scenario can happen :

"This is V, HIM and I have been together for awhile" - Female Partner (Modded)
"------" Female V (Who never had lines to answer this female partner)

Then it'll just continue like that, awkward weird dialogue with no responses and maybe even clunky animations because this character was never meant to have certain physical moments (and I really just even mean like hugging) with this V.

But one mega problem other than morals is that it won't work in the game.

You literally won't get dialogue choices that make sense, like I said before.

You'll literally have that NPC never be able to address you right. They don't even have lines for your V then.

Wow, that's actually a very strong possibility that I didn't think of. I do certainly hope that CDPR includes very good modding tools so that the modding community can make it happen. But on the other side, I also somehow doubt that those voice acted lines do not exist somewhere, somehow. The reason why I think this is the case, is this: How do NPC's decide what to call Every custom V out there, him/her? Players are supposedly able to choose any body/any face/any voice/any genitals, so really, how do they choose him/her in dialogue, and is there a possibility that they don't actually try to use those terms at all because it's just easier to avoid it? Maybe all NPC's just refer to V as "V" and that's it? That would be a neat way to avoid lots of confusion I think. Maybe this is the solution CDPR found already? Who knows? So I'm thinking, CDPR probably also has to account for the fact that some people are going to make a fully 100% male character with a female voice, meaning that if Male V with a male body and male face and male gentials and female voice dates a female character that only likes Male type V characters, then that voice acted line referring to that Date-able/Romance-able NPC Technically must exist spoken in the female V's voice, even though it's being used by a male V....

So I think... I think I'm Sherlock Holmes.

I am REALLY confused about the title of this thread. To my knowledge we already have couple confirmed romance options (Stout and Judy, although I can't for the life of me tell where that information comes from...). CP2077 has also said that the romances in this game are next level, deeper and not so easy.

Did you mean "non-story NPC"?

I am REALLY confused about the title of this thread. To my knowledge we already have couple confirmed romance options (Stout and Judy, although I can't for the life of me tell where that information comes from...). CP2077 has also said that the romances in this game are next level, deeper and not so easy.

Did you mean "non-story NPC"?
They basically mean to romance any NPC, no matter the lifepath and/or sexuality, be V sexual.

Wow, that's actually a very strong possibility that I didn't think of. I do certainly hope that CDPR includes very good modding tools so that the modding community can make it happen. But on the other side, I also somehow doubt that those voice acted lines do not exist somewhere, somehow. The reason why I think this is the case, is this: How do NPC's decide what to call Every custom V out there, him/her? Players are supposedly able to choose any body/any face/any voice/any genitals, so really, how do they choose him/her in dialogue, and is there a possibility that they don't actually try to use those terms at all because it's just easier to avoid it? Maybe all NPC's just refer to V as "V" and that's it? That would be a neat way to avoid lots of confusion I think. Maybe this is the solution CDPR found already? Who knows? So I'm thinking, CDPR probably also has to account for the fact that some people are going to make a fully 100% male character with a female voice, meaning that if Male V with a male body and male face and male gentials and female voice dates a female character that only likes Male type V characters, then that voice acted line referring to that Date-able/Romance-able NPC Technically must exist spoken in the female V's voice, even though it's being used by a male V....

So I think... I think I'm Sherlock Holmes.
Pretty sure your voice is your gender. So an all female body V with a male voice is he/him. But I also heard that they can have genital preference, or perhaps where I heard from confused it. Either way, there wouldn't be voice lines for both V's, romantically, from some NPCS.

A lesbian NPC would never have any lines saying "I love him." (referring to a male V) because she is lesbian.
A gay NPC would never have any lines saying "I love her."
A straight female NPC would never have any lines saying "I love her."
A straight male NPC would never have any lines saying "I love him."
only NPC to have both is bi/pan/etc, "I love him/her."

They basically mean to romance any NPC, no matter the lifepath and/or sexuality, be V sexual.

Pretty sure your voice is your gender. So an all female body V with a male voice is he/him. But I also heard that they can have genital preference, or perhaps where I heard from confused it. Either way, there wouldn't be voice lines for both V's, romantically, from some NPCS.

A lesbian NPC would never have any lines saying "I love him." (referring to a male V) because she is lesbian.
A gay NPC would never have any lines saying "I love her."
A straight female NPC would never have any lines saying "I love her."
A straight male NPC would never have any lines saying "I love him."
only NPC to have both is bi/pan/etc, "I love him/her."
That's only true if any NPC actually uses "him/her" they may very well possibly all just say "V" and that's it. And we don't really know if voice automatically = gender, because it may go completely unlabeled because maybe the game is designed to not assume any genders for any V character anyone creates.

I've always preferred characters to be "player sexual" (but I'm only experieneced it in DA2) because at the end of the day it's supposed to be your story. If your character likes x character then what's the harm? It's no one else's playthrough but your own. It's all about personality and who you find the most interesting anyway imo.

I've always preferred characters to be "player sexual" (but I'm only experieneced it in DA2) because at the end of the day it's supposed to be your story. If your character likes x character then what's the harm? It's no one else's playthrough but your own. It's all about personality and who you find the most interesting anyway imo.
Exactly. You are genius. :howdy:

Your story, but not your world.
You don't always win, if you're... Let's say, a female, and the story teller made "Jim" character gay... Would be quite stupid to have him fall for a girl...

The world have to feel alive, and having NPC being independant from the player's choice does help making it seems alive, or else you're just walking above the mass, which wouldn't really stick to Cyberpunk IMO.

Maybe Judy, which has been said to be lesbian seemingly, had a lots of trauma with males (being a sex worker related to the mox, you can imagine why...), so her character, her identity is build around that to an extent.

Now, as a player, your own choices will maybe go in Judy's direction, and probably you'll flirt if all the cases are checked, or maybe you'll be everything she despise...

Having her go in your arm because you choose to:
- throw to the bin some effort the character writer made to flesh her out.
- make your flirt empty shell.

Now, going in Night City, paying a prostitute, sure, she won't mind much, but for a romance... It's all about common interest.

I doubt a dirty sleazy street kid could bang Meredith the angry corpo lady...
It's how that world works 🤷.

Just like, it happens to have a crush on someone, but that someone absolutely don't give two crap about you (pretty common tho), no reason it doesn't work the same way here.

Top Bottom