Will there ever be a built in option to be able to romance any NPC?

+

Would you really like option to be able to just fall in love with any NPC without rejection?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
By arguing against a point I never made, and putting words in my mouth. I can't put it clearer than that. As for where, read the quote to which I replied with that.
I did read and search, but I couldn't understand or find it, I became lost which is why I asked for help in understanding. I still can't find it, so please forgive me for being unable to find that.
Just to be absolutely clear, I would never ever put words in anyones mouth. If we are misunderstanding each other, then we are misunderstanding each other. Please give me the benefit of the doubt. I am trying my best to understand, I genuinely and sincerely have the best intentions and I do mean well, I swear by that. I ask you to point out specifically where this is happening so that I can try to understand, where there was previously misunderstanding, so that I can learn. If you just want to forget about it, that's fine too. I'm willing to just forget that part if we're just both not understanding.

And I never said you did. Again you're putting words in my mouth.
Again, no. I would never dare do anything dishonest. Not because of what others would think of me, but because I would think bad of myself. I could not handle the bad feelings of knowing I had done something dishonest, so I never do dishonest things. Again Please give me the benefit of the doubt. I swear I am trying my best to understand. I am unable to pinpoint specifically where we have misunderstood each other, which makes the misunderstanding even more illusive, no matter how hard I try to untangle it and make sense out of everything.

Someone needs to create the NPCs, they don't just pop into existence.
CDPR literally creating an NPC to be of a specific orientation and a player changing the NPC's existing orientation are two very different things.
I am 100% sure we are going to misunderstand each other again, so please do not assume the worst, I will try my best. I will say that I don't think NPC's popping into existence would make for a good NPC because procedurally generated NPC's would lack depth. I am only suggesting to unlock existing date-able NPC's to be able to be dated by any V character, only as an optional setting that is offered to the player at the start of their second playthough, at the beginning of New Game +. I do not necessarily want or suggest to change NPC's orientation, so much as I want the option, when enabled to make unlikely love stories possible where V and the NPC that normally wouldn't date them are still able to fall in love somehow, (which realistically happens throughout human history quite commonly, but somewhat mildly rarely, but often)

No, it really wouldn't (and won't) be. It really, really wo(uld)n't.
Unlikely love stories are real things that happen to real human beings in real life, I could try to find a few historical examples I suppose. Rare doesn't always mean impossible.

Yes, you are. You are asking, in an extreme case, for an NPC to change not only their sexual orientation (which is a major part of a person's nature) but also their views on things (the Bob example is only a relatively small change).
No, that is not what I am thinking. I mean that, for this current example or idea if we could call it that, that the NPC's do not change their nature, and remain incompatible with V, and yet still manage to fall in love with them anyway, like the rare-unlikely-yet-realistic-love-story example.

He NEVER states that. Never. Not even once. In all his thousands (main character) of lines of dialogue, not a single time.
I already said that twice.
I am not disagreeing with what you said directly in that sentence and I even agreed with you. (shown below)
Wait, you are talking about a real NPC that already exists in another video game? I had no way of knowing that honestly. I thought the man who was implying the things you talked about how he was talking, but not stating what he was implying, as in without words I meant, was 100% theoretical and made up example person for the purposes of this conversation, and it really did make for a reasonable example so I went with it.
Also, I'm not claiming that they stated anything, I read what you said about the man not stating, but rather instead implying.

This was from the post you were replying to, I said:
"he is constantly talking about women and clearly indicating he is straight" "though he never explicitly states it"
Okay my bad I see where misread that, but I did notice this: So we established that he's not always literally stating that he is straight, but I would go as far as to argue that he is constantly making an active effort to imply it. Which is significant, but intentional or unintentional is difficult to say. He could be straight but very enthusiastic about his appreciation for the opposite, but the possibility that it is just a very skilled act at implying, is not impossible. I've seen that in real life before, it's extremely common. (I am absolutely not saying anything bad about anyone who is homosexual, and I was happy to see those individuals work through their thoughts and emotions and actually get to a point where they finally accepted themselves and stopped trying to hide it, so good on them :) (y) )

You don't know what NPC or what game I'm talking about, so your assumptions are not based on any knowledge.
But how can I possibly know this if you didn't tell me that they were from a game that I don't know the name of? :shrug:
Does the character have a name? I can google it if you want me to learn about them, I will try to read to learn of them.

And, again, I said the game has "player-sexuality" so I don't even see any point in discussing the whole thing.
(That entire paragraph about the NPC was a mere side point, too.)
The game with the NPC, or Cyberpunk? You mean automatic NPC's just liking the player with zero effort? :shrug: just to be clear this is not actually what I'm asking for to be optional. It's not quite what I mean at all, I wouldn't like that.

Last edited:
There's no chance in hell CDPR would do this. It goes against their approach to characterization.
Maybe you're right, but Maybe, just maybe, CDPR totally understands what I mean and maybe they don't do what I want, but maybe they do something else that is done with the thought in mind? Just being understood by CDPR, even if they leave everything the same, matters to me very much.

Nefla

Forum regular
I believe I was very careful in the specific words I used, and the specific words I did not use when trying to explain my intentions and ideas in this thread, but I learn more every single day. I do not want to disable NPC's ability to reject me, I want to enable NPC's ability to say yes. Currently some NPC's are hard-coded to automatically say "no" no matter what, if V does not fit into a certain category. Technically speaking, NPC's are currently already unable to give consent, because there are situations where they are blocked from being able to say yes, because of a hardcoded parameter. To go even further, I would argue that some NPC's are also hardcoded to always be forced to say yes to some V's who fit certain parameters, meaning that they are probably never able to say "no" to some V characters, just because they match what their code allows them. And all of that is true, even if we are to understand that fact that NPC's are not self-aware AI, so the argument that I want to disable NPC's ability to reject anyone, could be applied to anyone, including the people at CDPR who lovingly crafted and created the NPC's. Are they guilty of forcing some NPC's to always say yes? To always say no? Just because V fits into a set of parameters that make the NPC's like them or dislike them? No, because it's a video game, and a single player game at that. The NPC's were never given the freedom to decide for themselves what their likes and dislikes are. because they are fake people in a video game.
You can word it however you want but you're just arguing semantics. You have stated several times and the entire point of this thread is that you want to disable the option of NPCs to reject your character for "silly" reasons like their sexuality, morals, personality, etc...Yes they are fake people in a videogame, people created with personalities, sexualities, preferences, morals, and individuality. It's the mark of good writing. Writing that you're asking to undo by taking these things away so you can have a specific "waifu."

Honest question, are you implying that if an NPC that was coded to be able to date a certain range of V's or V character types that some players make, are given the ability to date a wider range of V character types, that this will somehow completely erase their entire personality? Because that is what I understand, but I do not claim that it's accurate, that's just what I think you may possibly mean and I ask you to confirm this. If this is the case, If I did understand correctly, I disagree because the entirety of the character and all their actions and clothing style and their habits and ways of communicating and so on and so forth would still exist, and would not cease to exist just because they show love and affection for a V character. The words "I love you" and a hug given to V from the NPC would not undo everything that they are, and if anything would bring the characters closer together. Short version: it's a sweet story.
A big part of their personality would be erased or contradicted yes.

To be quite honest, very very serious when I say this, I have heard much more surprising stories of very unlikely partners falling madly in love with each other, of real people in real life. People who themselves were surprised as they fell in love with each other. People who were otherwise on the surface completely incompatible. Polar opposites, and yet somehow still fell in love. If it can happen in real life in a more boring and normal world, then it can definitely happen in a more wild and unhinged world like Cyberpunk.
People don't just change their sexuality in real life. There have been instances of gay people having to hide in the closet because of society's lack of acceptance and only much later come out as gay. This isn't an issue in the world of Cyberpunk so that wouldn't happen. Surface incompatibility is different than inherent incompatibility based on values. Incompatible people may hook up but some lovey dovey long term romance between them is the stuff of romance novels and other fiction.

When you say that I said that I "would love whatever NPC", I get confused. When and where did I say I would just "love whatever NPC"?
Well I don't know the specific NPC you might play the game and fall in love with and want changed thus "whatever" NPC. You can substitute "nameless NPC" "TBD NPC" or whatever you prefer.

Because I am a living human being, I don't think it's necessary to worry about the non-existant feelings of several lines of non-sentient code. I want the game to be fun for me. If I were interacting with a real 100% self-aware living cybernetic-intelligence-life-form, a machine-person, and they could prove to me that they really did think and feel, I would treat them with the same level of care and respect as a human being. But this video game is not made by a top secret government project, or by space-people, so I doubt that Cyberpunk2077 contains any self aware people inside of it.
Nobody is talking about the NPCs like they're alive somehow except you. People want consistent well developed characters that make sense, not empty one dimensional cardboard cutouts like the villagers in Fable or people in The Sims.

Also, if you are telling me that I have to make my character a certain way or let me stay blocked from certain NPC's in the game, technically speaking you are asking me to give away my ability to choose, and essentially disregarding my own consent or lack of consent. :think:
"I want to be able to hack this computer but I refuse to build any character but a strength based brawler, the game took away my ability to choose, wah!" Your ability to chose is your ability to make a character that works with that NPC romance (or that class or that playstyle, etc...) you choose not to take that choice.

I think it would be highly dishonest of myself- to myself, to construct a V character that isn't true-to-me, a V that I made to achieve a goal like being able to date an NPC just because they are hard coded to reject me, rather than a V I lovingly crafted, straight from the depths of my heart. If I did that, I would be able to date the NPC that I really appreciate, but then I would not appreciate myself anymore. The NPC would be true, but then I would be false. But even then, the NPC is always false, by design- unless the NPC is a true sentient self aware machine organism and in Cyberpunk2077, the NPC is not.
That is factually untrue. I intend to play multiple playthroughs but I will always craft a V character that is true to me, meaning that I may never be able to date certain NPC's even if I like them very much. Also, Cyberpunk2077 was not made to accomodate unwillingness of any kind. The game was made for fans of the cyberpunk genre. I will leave it to CDPR to define the game further than that. :think:
That's YOUR choice. You talk about being "true to yourself" while trying to change characters from their "true self." As if making a character of a different gender or life path or whatever else would be some kind of betrayal of yourself as a person. Your V is just as pretend as the NPCs, if you want to see certain aspects you have to make your character certain ways. You can make as many playthroughs as you want. Again, you're being unreasonably stubborn and expecting to be catered to.

Well, clearly this isn't the case, because you are here, explaining to me why it should never be an option for anyone to date specific NPC's in their single player game.
Since you clearly didn't read what you quoted here it is again:If you were modding your own game, more power to you, IDC. What you're talking about though is having the game built in a way that accommodates your unwillingness to have multiple playthroughs with multiple types of V's. Professional game devs aren't going to do what hobbyist modders do which is to just have the gender flags of your main character flipped to the opposite gender in order to change their sexuality and make them like you. Modding those flags does not create additional correctly gendered dialogue, it doesn't create correct animations for the different body model, it doesn't generate voice acting for your protagonist towards that NPC, and it doesn't change all the mentions of the character's sexuality or preferences in other dialogue. In order to actually get what you want, CDPR would have to do it to professional standards and spend the time and resources to add those lines of dialogue, make those extra animations, record those voiceovers, change the other lines about sexuality and preference, etc...all to appease a tiny minority of people who refuse to just make a new character. Long story short, those changes wouldn't just affect your single player game, they affect everyone and there is only so much time and so many resources to go around. Most of us would want them to go towards something worthwhile that everyone benefits from.
Please tell me, what is the difference between CDPR adding an option in the menu settings that allows players to date any date-able NPC on their second playthough (New Game +) and the modding community adding it in later?
Read the above. Animations, voice overs, etc...don't just magically pop out of the air.

So it's that easy? wow. I'm surprised.
If you want mod level results, yes. It means your character will be called by the opposite gender pronouns, will use the opposite gender animations, heights not matching up (ex two characters supposed to kiss but one's face just clips through the other's nose) your character will just stare silently when they're supposed to have romance specific dialogue, etc...to get it to actually work requires a lot of time and resources, that's the whole problem with your idea.

This is all based on the assumption that V or any characters even say the things that you are saying that they might say. NPC's may possibly never actually say "he" or "she" considering that CDPR removed binary gender from the character customization screen, instead allowing V to select body types without labels attatched to them. It is possible that NPC's may only ever call V, "V" nothing more nothing less. We just don't know, but if I censor myself and don't share my valuable feedback with CDPR months before Cyberpunk2077 releases, then I have done CDPR a great disservice, as well as doing a great disservice to any players who would could have benefited from a small setting option that gives them more in-game freedom.
We already know there's gender specific dialogue. We've seen it in all the trailers that have dialogue. NPCs using "they" or whatever to refer to V romantically will already be those attracted to either only "they" Vs or all Vs.

I have to wonder, why did you ask a question you so clearly didn't want to know the answer to (unless they agree with you)?

You can word it however you want but you're just arguing semantics. You have stated several times and the entire point of this thread is that you want to disable the option of NPCs to reject your character for "silly" reasons like their sexuality, morals, personality, etc...Yes they are fake people in a videogame, people created with personalities, sexualities, preferences, morals, and individuality. It's the mark of good writing. Writing that you're asking to undo by taking these things away so you can have a specific "waifu."
I am not arguing semantics. I'm explaining that I want my character V to have the opportunity, not on the first playthrough, but at the start of New Game + to date date-able NPC's, as an option in the settings, that will only be enabled by people who are like the setting, and will never be enabled by people who do not like the setting, so that people who always create their V character a certain way, can have a chance to date a date-able NPC that they really really like, to prevent a situation where the player would never be able to experience dating that NPC just because they are hard-coded to auto-reject certain types of V characters. Again, I don't want to disable NPC's ability to reject the players V character, so much as I want to enable NPC's to be able to say yes to the players V character. Currently, supposedly, it appears that certain NPC's are hard-coded to always auto-reject certain V characters based on a yet unknown set of parameters.
I am not asking to undo anything. Please, kindly don't make assumptions about what I'm saying.

A big part of their personality would be erased or contradicted yes.
If someone falls in love with someone else, that isn't an automatic magic spell that changes their clothing, habits, personality, attitudes, ways of communicating, their favorite foods, and pretty much everything about them. People fall in love with each other because they love the person they are falling in love with. If falling in love erased who people are, then people that fell in love would instantly turn into statues and be unable to think or feel or move, like the medusa character in greek mythology, exept people that love each other. That, or people would fall in love and then instantly end the relationship and lose interest and not care about each other any more. Clearly this isn't how things actually work in real life, so there is no reason that this should automatically be the case in Cyberpunk just because a relationship starts.

People don't just change their sexuality in real life. There have been instances of gay people having to hide in the closet because of society's lack of acceptance and only much later come out as gay. This isn't an issue in the world of Cyberpunk so that wouldn't happen. Surface incompatibility is different than inherent incompatibility based on values. Incompatible people may hook up but some lovey dovey long term romance between them is the stuff of romance novels and other fiction.
Again, I politely repeat: Nobody needs to have their sexuality changed. I don't know where you're getting this from. Very unlikely love stories have repeatedly happened throughout human history. They are a real thing that actually happens to human beings in real life, who otherwise appeared incompatible.

Well I don't know the specific NPC you might play the game and fall in love with and want changed thus "whatever" NPC. You can substitute "nameless NPC" "TBD NPC" or whatever you prefer.
Oh, you mean like an NPC we both do not know exists yet. Okay, I understand that part now :)(y)

Nobody is talking about the NPCs like they're alive somehow except you.
What? I'm the person saying that I know they are NPC's. Only a few posts ago I mentioned the AI related examples, specifically stating that the NPC's in Cyberpunk are not real living self aware cybernetic intelligence organisms.

People want consistent well developed characters that make sense, not empty one dimensional cardboard cutouts like the villagers in Fable or people in The Sims.
I never said that I wanted "empty one dimensional cardboard cutouts like the villagers in Fable or people in The Sims."
Dating a date-able NPC will not turn all characters into cardboard.

"I want to be able to hack this computer but I refuse to build any character but a strength based brawler, the game took away my ability to choose, wah!" Your ability to chose is your ability to make a character that works with that NPC romance (or that class or that playstyle, etc...) you choose not to take that choice.
When someone chooses a hacker build to be able to hack a computer in cyberpunk, or when someone chooses a strenght build to be able to be very strong, I would argue that this is to achieve an in game goal. When someone builds their V character to be true to themselves and make a character they can truly relate with and feel compassion for, it is not to achieve a goal, it is to make something beautiful and true, Just like it isn't a goal to find a special date-able character in game that your V character can fall in love with.
What would be a goal, would be to intentionally go out of my way in cyberpunk2077 to create a V character completely based on the games built in parameters that allow me to hack a computer, be very strong, or date a specific NPC. If I built my V character just for the purpose of being able to date a specific NPC, then that would be incredibly shallow of me, because it's not even about making a sweet loving story with my character anymore. It's like building a soul-less machine with one goal "fit into these parameters in the code to be able to make this thing happen in this game" Completely shattering the immersion, by forcing me to view the game as a game, rather than allowing me to enjoy Cyberpunk2077 as an experience.

That's YOUR choice. You talk about being "true to yourself" while trying to change characters from their "true self." As if making a character of a different gender or life path or whatever else would be some kind of betrayal of yourself as a person. Your V is just as pretend as the NPCs, if you want to see certain aspects you have to make your character certain ways. You can make as many playthroughs as you want. Again, you're being unreasonably stubborn and expecting to be catered to.
I'm not changing characters. I want them to stay the same, but still consider my V character as a dating option, and possibly fall in love, despite our differences. I'm always going to make a V that is true to how I will feel the most connection with them, and have the most immersion in Cyberpunk. If I make a charater to achieve a goal of dating someone, I am now just watching a screen, trying to make things happen, rather than enjoying the experience.

Since you clearly didn't read what you quoted here it is again:
That is factually untrue. I read everything, and I responded to everything you said in this post, linked directly below. I just don't agree. I responded with the knowledge of everything I read.

If you were modding your own game, more power to you, IDC.
But why should we wait for mods to change what could be added months before release, with the possibility that no extra effort by CDPR needs to be made? If that possibility exists, why should people who care about this stop being vocal and giving CDPR their valuable feedback?

Read the above. Animations, voice overs, etc...don't just magically pop out of the air.
But that's just an assumption that any additional voice overs will be needed. If all NPC's refer to V as only "V" and don't say "he" or "she" which we do not know, but is a strong possibility considering that binary gender labels were removed from the character creator, allowing players to select body types instead, Then there may not be any need for any additional voice overs at all, since all the voice lines may actually already all exist in the game. There is a possibility that nothing will be needed to be changed at all, which makes adding an option for people who would like to enable it, to be able to date all date-able NPC's more easy than you say.

If you want mod level results, yes. It means your character will be called by the opposite gender pronouns, will use the opposite gender animations, heights not matching up (ex two characters supposed to kiss but one's face just clips through the other's nose) your character will just stare silently when they're supposed to have romance specific dialogue, etc...to get it to actually work requires a lot of time and resources, that's the whole problem with your idea.
All of this is not based on fact. This is an assumption that these issues even exist at all, but we do not know if these will be issues. There is a strong possibility that none of these things will be issues at all, for example if all the NPC's just refer to V as "V" and never say "he" or "she", which is very possible since CDPR supposedly removed binary gender labels from the character creator. We don't know the actual heights of our V character, let alone the heights if they are male or female, which would be an assumption to make that one would be taller than the other for some reason, since all kinds of people of many different heights exist of different genders. It may possibly be that there is no way to select height and all V characters are the same height across all games, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't the the biggest thing to fix, and again it might not be an issue at all, for example if when two characters hug, if V's face camera is linked to be zoomed in to hug the other NPC, it may possibly be directly tracked to the NPC's face, making height not actually matter since it could already be on auto-pilot guidance by the game in that situation.

We already know there's gender specific dialogue. We've seen it in all the trailers that have dialogue. NPCs using "they" or whatever to refer to V romantically will already be those attracted to either only "they" Vs or all Vs.
Can you please show me exactly what video, and exactly where in the video there is gender specific dialogue? Even so, all game footage so far has said "Work in progress subject to change"
meaning that those dialogue options may have changed since when CDPR removed binary gender labels from the character creation screen.

I have to wonder, why did you ask a question you so clearly didn't want to know the answer to (unless they agree with you)?
I am sharing my feedback with the community, and I am most importantly sharing my feedback with CDPR. I never promised I would automatically agree, or disagree with anyone. I am presenting my feedback and I'm glad to talk about it. I also never assumed anyone would agree or disagree with me. I never said I was expecting anyone to do anything, and the only thing I would like to know, is that somewhere, somehow CDPR heard my feedback, even if they disagree with it and choose to do nothing with it. It makes me happy if I know they heard it.

But even then, I don't need to know if CDPR heard my feedback. I know they are busy making Cyberpunk2077, so I'm content knowing that there is a possibility that they read this, but did no comment. Cyberpunk2077 is CDPR's (and maybe also mike pondsmiths) game in many ways, and It's up to them how the game comes out. But I will not censor myself just because some people disagree with my feedback, why should I? Everyone has a right to give feedback, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
Honestly I can see both sides of this very unnecessary discussion. Well, it's more of an argument at this point?🤔 Anyway, playing a video game that doesn't necessarily pander to the players expectations of how a video game world should work is quite... difficult. as much as I love games that allow me to directly influence the world, it's characters, and the interactions that happen between us. I think at a certain point you have to trade player agency for a cinematic gaming experience, and that's all there is to it. Of course being able to romance Meredith as my noble, street kid V would be awesome, but the established rules of the world wouldn't allow for that UNLESS I played by those rules and further immersed myself in the world by exploring different avenues of play. On the other hand, many of the people shooting OP down aren't making arguments relevant to the game itself outside of repeating the same rhetoric over and over despite being given clarification. Instead of making the argument personal take on objective look at what is actually being asked instead of interlacing whatever personal opinion you have in your answer to take jabs at whomever. it's toxic, and really shows how little people are willing to just listen, and get a concise explanation of what's actually being presented before jumping on the offensive/defensive. That aside, I think ultimately if you really want to romance a certain character having the option isn't a bad thing, but realistically that will probably only be a mod feature. I'm afraid to say consent does not exist for virtual characters, and whatever preferences or sexual leanings do exist, they are merely an extrapolation of code within the game itself. It's ignorant to treat this subject like it has any significance in real life when it doesn't, all that's being presented is an option to romance any character OP wants to upon reaching the romance criterion for said npc. Hopefully I've made a decent argument for both sides, and if I didn't please enlighten me. Ultimately I agree with each end of the spectrum to a certain degree, but this should not have gotten personal, or turned into a discussion on IRL ideologies or philosophies, and it definitely should be considered realistically in terms of the manpower it would take to enable even an option for this sort of thing!😕 tbh it's kind of arbitrary, like, dude I'm certain there will be plenty of characters that suit whatever V you're trying to create. That singular character that you can't romance if it's that pressing of a matter, take that as an opportunity to expand your thinking, and understanding of human interaction and make a new character that's still you! but, with a twist🤷🏾‍♂️

this is a stupidly long post, and I'm sorry if you actually read through it, but you did now you're here and I think you're kinda cute! haha jk... unless😏😎

G30M1

Forum regular
Nobody needs to have their sexuality changed.
I'm not changing characters. I want them to stay the same, but still consider my V character as a dating option, and possibly fall in love, despite our differences.

If you only play a male V, and your "true love" NPC is a lesbian, your differences are not an obstacle to get over.
It's not. going. to happen. unless you forcibly change their sexuality.

This is what we have been trying to tell you and if you still don't get it then... I dunno, man.

VelWu

Forum regular
It's part of the character designs, I guess. I was super disappointed by not being able to romance Sara in Dragon Age Inquisition because I'm a straight guy and she's lesbian. But hey, it's how nature works.

Though for apparently selfish reasons, I would totally not mind if some sci-fi pheromone tech exists to make gay people straight and vice versa. On the premise that it makes sense lorewise.

Honestly I can see both sides of this very unnecessary discussion. Well, it's more of an argument at this point?🤔 Anyway, playing a video game that doesn't necessarily pander to the players expectations of how a video game world should work is quite... difficult. as much as I love games that allow me to directly influence the world, it's characters, and the interactions that happen between us. I think at a certain point you have to trade player agency for a cinematic gaming experience, and that's all there is to it. Of course being able to romance Meredith as my noble, street kid V would be awesome, but the established rules of the world wouldn't allow for that UNLESS I played by those rules and further immersed myself in the world by exploring different avenues of play. On the other hand, many of the people shooting OP down aren't making arguments relevant to the game itself outside of repeating the same rhetoric over and over despite being given clarification. Instead of making the argument personal take on objective look at what is actually being asked instead of interlacing whatever personal opinion you have in your answer to take jabs at whomever. it's toxic, and really shows how little people are willing to just listen, and get a concise explanation of what's actually being presented before jumping on the offensive/defensive. That aside, I think ultimately if you really want to romance a certain character having the option isn't a bad thing, but realistically that will probably only be a mod feature. I'm afraid to say consent does not exist for virtual characters, and whatever preferences or sexual leanings do exist, they are merely an extrapolation of code within the game itself. It's ignorant to treat this subject like it has any significance in real life when it doesn't, all that's being presented is an option to romance any character OP wants to upon reaching the romance criterion for said npc. Hopefully I've made a decent argument for both sides, and if I didn't please enlighten me. Ultimately I agree with each end of the spectrum to a certain degree, but this should not have gotten personal, or turned into a discussion on IRL ideologies or philosophies, and it definitely should be considered realistically in terms of the manpower it would take to enable even an option for this sort of thing!😕 tbh it's kind of arbitrary, like, dude I'm certain there will be plenty of characters that suit whatever V you're trying to create. That singular character that you can't romance if it's that pressing of a matter, take that as an opportunity to expand your thinking, and understanding of human interaction and make a new character that's still you! but, with a twist🤷🏾‍♂️

this is a stupidly long post, and I'm sorry if you actually read through it, but you did now you're here and I think you're kinda cute! haha jk... unless😏😎
I have so much respect for you, you have no idea. I can not express myself in words, but this video, and it's title... should do.

and also thank you for the complement it made me feel very good thank you.
Post automatically merged:

If you only play a male V, and your "true love" NPC is a lesbian, your differences are not an obstacle to get over.
It's not. going. to happen. unless you forcibly change their sexuality.

This is what we have been trying to tell you and if you still don't get it then... I dunno, man.
I never specifically stated who I would play as or who I would try to date, since I have not made my character yet and I do not know which NPC I will fall in love with in game, and I don't even know which NPC's exist yet, so these are all assumptions :shrug:

It's part of the character designs, I guess. I was super disappointed by not being able to romance Sara in Dragon Age Inquisition because I'm a straight guy and she's lesbian. But hey, it's how nature works.

Though for apparently selfish reasons, I would totally not mind if some sci-fi pheromone tech exists to make gay people straight and vice versa. On the premise that it makes sense lorewise.
I guess the sci-fi pheremone thing was sort of like a joke, or just an example, or both. I remember on one of my save games, (only one of them, since I replayed multiple times) playing as a female shepard in mass effect, (both 1 and 2) and being unable to date Tali Zora Narraya Vas Neema. I still remember her name. I have a real deep serious heart pounding love for Tali. But for some reason, the game simply didn't even give me the option to try and date her. It was really sad. I was heart broken. The game really never made it all that clear what her thoughts or feelings were, just simply made it impossible to even ask Tali her thoughs and opinions on dating together. If there was any discussion built into the game, it was so minimal, so small, so overlooked by the developers, that I can't even remember it at all. I know for a fact deep in my heart they would have made the sweetest couple ever. Another heart break I had was in another playthrough I played as female shepard and dated Liara T'Soni. She was really sweet and a nice person, emotionally deep and kind, but then in the next game, she randomly decides that she doesn't like female shepard any more. I never figured out why she didn't love me anymore. Absolutely demolished my heart. One of the many reasons I stopped buying games from EA, not saying anything good or bad, my heart just couldn't take it. :cry:

I have a question about romances. Is your ability to romance a character tied to V's genitals or female/male voice?
That's a good question, But I'm willingly to assume completely based on my paranoia and fears that It is implemented in the most frustrating way possible so that I can't have fun and be happy. :shrug:
*ba dum PTCH* (joke sound effect) (or am I joking?) (I hope I'm wrong :giveup:)

I mean, If it was lore-friendly, and the sci-fi pheromone didn't actually change peoples preferences or sexuality in any way, but more like a not too strong love potion, just, well, like the character would look at you and be like "well, I'm not going to automatically just instantly fall in love with you for no reason, but I will consider dating specifically you, because well, you seem like a nice person, but fail me and it's bye bye"

I could live with that, as long as they aren't actually forced to automatically love me or anything. I want true love, not forced fake magic spell love. as long as that is understood. I want characters to feel that I am special, because I showed them that I'm a very special person, I impressed them somehow, touched their heart, I don't know. I did something right, and their sexuality stayed exactly the same, but besides our differences, they make an exception just for me, because they love me that much, because they see how much I love them. mutual trust, mutual love.

Last edited:

VelWu

Forum regular
One of the many reasons I stopped buying games from EA, not saying anything good or bad, my heart just couldn't take it.

Yeah, I think one of EA-BioWare's handling of Mass Effect romances was how most characters have this double standard when it comes to dating. Earning their respect (as a friend) is apparently not the same as making them interested in Shepard as a lover. So one'd subtly get friend-zoned even though one's been doing/saying exactly what seems to appease a romantic interest. Just like in real world sometimes o_O

Yeah, I think one of EA-BioWare's handling of Mass Effect romances was how most characters have this double standard when it comes to dating. Earning their respect (as a friend) is apparently not the same as making them interested in Shepard as a lover. So one'd subtly get friend-zoned even though one's been doing/saying exactly what seems to appease a romantic interest. Just like in real world sometimes o_O
You summed it up quite excellently :) , but I would say it didn't feel very "real world" because I feel that in the real world I would at last have a little bit better of an idea than I ever would in mass effect. Why? because in real life I would ask the person how they really felt, a liberty which was never really properly comprehensively given to the player in the mass effect games. I hope it will be different in Cyberpunk2077. :)

A character's personal preference aren't "silly reasons" and not getting the romance of your choice would make you really sad? Not gonna lie, but that's kinda pathetic dude, it's a video game, not real life

I agree a NPC's preference should be respected. If s/he returns your V's affection, an-deas. If s/he doesn't, the player should accept it and move on. The universe has many other stars.

I do believe that last remark of yours was unnecessary. It certainly is a video game, but for some, it is their first experience with such conversations. It may well be a "bootcamp" before they go back to real life to pursue real people. Romances in video games could serve as therapeutic labs, for young people to experiment safely without hurting someone (or getting hurt), or for older people whose relationships-in-real-life go wrong to come back for some fun inspirations.

I have a feeling you'll get this Mass Effect example. Shepard's romance with Liara and Ryder's romance with Liam Kosta were what helped me discover what type of significant other I like, and what kind of guy I can be for her.

[...][quoting removed content]

I agree a NPC's preference should be respected. If s/he returns your V's affection, an-deas. If s/he doesn't, the player should accept it and move on. The universe has many other stars.

I do believe that last remark of yours was unnecessary. It certainly is a video game, but for some, it is their first experience with such conversations. It may well be a "bootcamp" before they go back to real life to pursue real people. Romances in video games could serve as therapeutic labs, for young people to experiment safely without hurting someone (or getting hurt), or for older people whose relationships-in-real-life go wrong to come back for some fun inspirations.

I have a feeling you'll get this Mass Effect example. Shepard's romance with Liara and Ryder's romance with Liam Kosta were what helped me discover what type of significant other I like, and what kind of guy I can be for her.
That's an interesting way to put it. I would still love this as an optional feature though. As I said before, I will gladly play my first playthrough with the setting turned off, and play the game as CDPR intended, but on my New Game + I would turn on the setting and date anyone I want, just for that freedom, or in case I tragically can not date the one I love the most. Life is painful enough, video games = escapism. The escape shouldn't also punish unnecessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sild

Ex-moderator
One post removed.

For civilities sake, please refrain from overtly judgemental comments and of a personal nature.

It is a videogame but its also no secret people get attached to them to various degrees for various reasons. Be sensible, thank you.

One post removed.

For civilities sake, please refrain from overtly judgemental comments and of a personal nature.

It is a videogame but its also no secret people get attached to them to various degrees for various reasons. Be sensible, thank you.
:howdy::sleep:
true facts. I care very much, and I feel the feels.

VelWu

Forum regular
New Game +

I find this idea highly intriguing. If nothing else, it would certainly provide reasons for replayability.

NewGame+ feature from other games I recall allow you to play the same character through the same story again only to tackle higher difficulties or try out crazier builds. Generally gameplay/combat only.

If somehow this feature affects narrative aspects like romances~~~I wouldn't be against it if sufficient reasons are provided. It's like unlock secret endings on new playthroughs.

If I wanted completely inconsequential dialogue "choices" I'll go load up Fallout 4 or Mass Effect again, my dream is to have dialogue where based on what I choose (and not just narrative) have about equal chance of turning them into a lethal nemesis, apathetic stranger, and/or life long lover.

Top Bottom