Will this be available in Australia

+
People are worried about the classification being restricted and unplayable in Australia, can anyone confirm at this time?

Forum veteran
Right now information says "Rating: TBA" (for the game in general), so I don't think you're going to be able to get a concrete answer quite yet. There's no accounting for the quixotic and arbitrary decisions of rating boards.

highly doubt it won't get classification, this will most likely get an ma15+ rating. Unless there is rampant drug use which included the drugs giving you some kind of benefit /boost then we shoulnd't have any issues.

besides that even if for some absurd reason it doesn't get classified, just import it, it is a single player game, so no issues.

I doubt CDProjektRed have even payed the fee and applied yet.
Here's hoping it's like the good old days when you had a 50/50 chance that stuff would get passed that went against the guidelines out of good old Aussie lackadaisical practices (I'm looking at you, Mr Freeman and your lovely morphine injecting suit). I won't hold my breath though as it's become a political issue and even renaming drugs (or making them Alien drugs in a simulation) doesn't get things through these days.

Guest 4310777

mmm if it is censored somehow I am going to have to find an alternative way to acquire the game.. but if you buy a hard copy overseas and then install, steam will automatically localise the content right?

I'd bet my wallaby that they are gonna do the best they can in order to make it possible.

If CDPR stick to the source material, drugs of all types will be in the game, and many of them will have "benefits"....which will mean that it will fall foul of our classification board. Nudity and violence as well...strike 2.
Don't despair, just buy it from overseas! And for PC gamers just use a VPN when starting it up...simples.

mmm if it is censored somehow I am going to have to find an alternative way to acquire the game.. but if you buy a hard copy overseas and then install, steam will automatically localise the content right?

If CDPR stick to the source material, drugs of all types will be in the game, and many of them will have "benefits"....which will mean that it will fall foul of our classification board. Nudity and violence as well...strike 2.
Don't despair, just buy it from overseas! And for PC gamers just use a VPN when starting it up...simples.
Nudity and violence are perfectly acceptable with our MA15 to R classification. Well with caveats that is.

Edit - For my weird formatting

Last edited:
the Australian government is particularly bad at censorship. My guess is that if the game does contain drugs and nudity, along with what is considered excessive violence, it'll be banned.

As to buying it from overseas, border patrol, nee Australian customs, will intercept and destroy it.

With regional locking become more and more an issue in gaming, it's highly unlikely that an overseas version will work on the local Australian market, especially with consoles.

Has anyone heard/read confirmation that the game will be released to PS4? After seeing the gave premiered alongside Microsoft, I'm starting to think that this will be an XBOX One exclusive, with no port to PS4. Which means no CyberPunk 2077 for me. I'll be sorely disappointed if CDPR takes this route, but exclusivity is becoming more and more of an issue it seems.

Forum veteran
Even if it gets banned, you can conceivably use a VPN to buy the game on GOG if you're going the PC route (and that's only if the store—which is CDPR's, for all intents and purposes—doesn't come up with its own workaround like they did when they were forced to sell a censored version of The Witcher 2 to Australians). This has come up a few times with other games, and the store apparently only checks your region when you buy. Pretty sure the PS4 and Xbox One are region free, too, so there should be options even in a worst case scenario.

Has anyone heard/read confirmation that the game will be released to PS4?
Some press information they released yesterday still said it was coming to PC/PS4/Xbox One. Chances are Microsoft paid a hefty price to be the ones revealing a lot of this early information, but that doesn't reflect any kind of exclusivity.

Buy directly from CDPR on gog.com. That version of the game will be DRM-free (plus CDPR gets all the money, no Steam tax there). So just VPN to gog.com, download, disconnect VPN, install, done.

Buy directly from CDPR on gog.com. That version of the game will be DRM-free (plus CDPR gets all the money, no Steam tax there). So just VPN to gog.com, download, disconnect VPN, install, done.
Well...ah..if we're allowed to talk openly about VPNing in the official forums then yeah I ....um...heard (whistles) that doing that worked quite well for Saints Row IV.

There's a really simple fix to this.

Rather than refer to "Chems" or "Drugs", call them "Nanos" instead and say they're nanobots that give a particular boost. Then it will sail past the OFLC.

If you refer to them as "drugs", it's going to get banned .... simple as that. Don't fall for that trap. Just take a slightly different approach with exactly the same effects.

Last edited:
We're still possibly 2 years away from the release date and many things can change within that time-span. I wouldn't worry too much about it, guys. Regardless, it's wise of us to bring this to CDPR's attention now, rather than later.

Even if it gets banned, you can conceivably use a VPN to buy the game on GOG if you're going the PC route (and that's only if the store—which is CDPR's, for all intents and purposes—doesn't come up with its own workaround like they did when they were forced to sell a censored version of The Witcher 2 to Australians). This has come up a few times with other games, and the store apparently only checks your region when you buy. Pretty sure the PS4 and Xbox One are region free, too, so there should be options even in a worst case scenario.

Some press information they released yesterday still said it was coming to PC/PS4/Xbox One. Chances are Microsoft paid a hefty price to be the ones revealing a lot of this early information, but that doesn't reflect any kind of exclusivity.

Sadly, I'm gaming on PS4. So, if it is banned, I'm screwed. I don't want CDPR to censor it. I want the idiotic Australian government to stop censoring consenting adults from enjoying adult content in the safety of their own bloody homes. If good 2 shoes don't like the game, great. That's *their* choice. Don't stop others from enjoying stuff.

A few words from CDPR would be great so that we're aware that they understand the issue. The last thing we want to see is the game being banned at the last minute because of something that could be easily avoided.

Guest 4310777

The game has nudity, sex, drugs, extreme violence, people harvesting bodies.. it's going to get banned, or censored. We are going to have to find a work around.

The game has nudity, sex, drugs, extreme violence, people harvesting bodies.. it's going to get banned, or censored. We are going to have to find a work around.

yes that is exactly my viewpoint too. You know something has gone horribly wrong with society when a consenting adult can't watch or play what they want to in the privacy of their own home.

Top Bottom