Will this game have an ending?

+
Will this game have an ending?

Obviously it will have a story ending, but will the game itself actually end, forcing you to start a new game? I know that the standard for open world games, is that you get to free-roam the world once you complete the story.

If CDPR were to confirm that you can still free-roam after the story, that would mean that Geralt has to survive, unless of course the developers do something similar to Red Dead Redemption.

Btw, how do people feel about a new game plus? Is there a way to implement it without being overpowered? Or maybe you deserve to be able to be overpowered if you've already completed the game? Thoughts?

Forum veteran
Villentretanmerth said:
Obviously it will have a story ending, but will the game itself actually end, forcing you to start a new game? I know that the standard for open world games, is that you get to free-roam the world once you complete the story.

If CDPR were to confirm that you can still free-roam after the story, that would mean that Geralt has to survive, unless of course the developers do something similar to Red Dead Redemption.

Btw, how do people feel about a new game plus? Is there a way to implement it without being overpowered? Or maybe you deserve to be able to be overpowered if you've already completed the game? Thoughts?

This is one of the things I asked a few months ago and we were told that CD Projekt had not decided yet about what to do. Personally I would like the option to continue on, having to reload saves just to be able to finish/discover left over quests or enjoy new content is a bit of a drag honestly.

On new game plus, it could be fun, but it would require a very different balance to work and I am not sure there is time for that.

I'm fairly certain I remember them saying at one point that there's not going to be free roaming after the story ends as it wouldn't fit with the story they're trying to tell.

frynse said:
I'm fairly certain I remember them saying at one point that there's not going to be free roaming after the story ends as it wouldn't fit with the story they're trying to tell.

I remember that, too. Can't find the source right now, though, and don't have the time to look for it now.

Yes, the story ends = the game ends, no wandering around after the the final scene. This is unfortunate because I'd like to free roam, fight and explore afterwards, but I understand CDPR decision.

Aditya

Forum veteran
Wait, that's confirmed? That's kind of a bummer, the game itself needs 100 hours plus who knows how much for one's own satisfaction, such a big world 'restricted' (don't have the right word for it now) to the story ending :(

I hope this changes though, but in the end, they know what they are doing

I'd too like to roam freely after the story. Do the lasts contracts and all. It always bugs me when you have to reload an earlier save before winning the final boss - but instead you just abandon him/her and start to catch butterflies... While people complains about the big bad thing that's terrorizing them.. It feels out of the place.

And I just love epilogues, I feel like visiting everyone and seeing how they'll do now on. In Zelda (twilight princess) there was a pregnant mother in one village and I was so waiting to see her once the game was over... but no, of course I couldn't go meet her after the baby's been born. There was a clip in the ending text in there but... it wasn't the same. Though better than nothing..

I don't think so, witcher is strongly story driven game so there is no point in keeping playing without story, but who knows.

I'd like the game to end after the story ends. The ending should really be THE ending. And I think the story might end in such a way that it wouldn't make sense for Geralt to stick around anymore.

Agent_Blue

dragonbird said:
I haven't seen any confirmation of this. As far as I'm aware, there's no official answer.

Actually, yes.
There is official confirmation.

This was brought to our attention in a recent interview I haven't committed to memory. There was even a thread where the new info was discussed and I remember I applauded their decision.

And very much still do.

Sirnaq said:
I don't think so, witcher is strongly story driven game so there is no point in keeping playing without story, but who knows.
I understand but I feel they should do a really long (and rather free) epilogue then. It's kinda lame if everything ends after the climax (usually the final boss). And too many books, games and movies just leave it to that. "wohoo you won, you're a hero". Well... for me it's not the part I care most. It's the epilogue, seeing how things really end up, how people have changed.. And I would really like to experience this through playing and not only watching some ending scene.
--

This came to my mind :)
[EXAMPLE]
[the final boss] has been overcame, the story has ended. Geralt decides now to return to old monster slaying business for a while, before the winter comes. He also needs to settle some things left open before his pursue for [the last boss]. He travels lands doing what he'll do best. And at the same time he sees how the war has changed the land. Some places are completely in ruins, some trying to recover. Maybe there's a bit of hope in the air yet the problems are still not over for people. Monsters, plague, food shortage. On the way Geralt meets some of his friends, and also heards that some has fallen.

After he has done what he wanted, he decides riding to the witcher's keep, Kaer Morhen as the winter is coming. And after that the game ends, showing us the last scene. The very last of The Witcher-saga

I also understand the logic behind it, but it means I might not even see the ending once and if I do, not more than that one time. Having to load an old save in order to find left over quests or just enjoy the weather breaks the mood completely, making it better to reach the ending as late as possible.

Not to mention that possible new quests being added also requires a reload or complete restart.

CiriusWhite said:
I understand but I feel they should do a really long (and rather free) epilogue then. It's kinda lame if everything ends after the climax (usually the final boss). And too many books, games and movies just leave it to that. "wohoo you won, you're a hero". Well... for me it's not the part I care most. It's the epilogue, seeing how things really end up, how people have changed.. And I would really like to experience this through playing and not only watching some ending scene.

CDPR has already confirmed that there will be a playable epilogue, which differs according to the choices you have made. I doubt that that part is free-roam though. I'm thinking it's something like TW2 epilogue, but then bigger, seeing consequences of all kinds of things you've done throughout the game, and closing the last plotlines.

Hm, interesting. No "free roam" in the world of Witcherville huh. I admire RED's integrity. Rather than writing some contrived shit so we can all have fun afterwards, they're consistent and adamant regarding story telling in an open world setting. Very interesting.

Fallout 3 is one of those games that had an ending so dumb, and so fucking contrived, that it hurt the overall experience for me. It said so much about how much Bethesda cared about the storytelling aspects. I'm all good with not having an option to run around after the game is done. As long as it makes sense within the context of the narrative, obviously.

Still, I'm a bit sad but it's all good. Hopefully there'll be a distinctive hint telling us that we're about to embark on the very last mission. That way I can save dat shiiiet and continue playing later.

dragonbird said:
I haven't seen any confirmation of this. As far as I'm aware, there's no official answer.

dragonbird said:
Actually, yes.
There is official confirmation.

This was brought to our attention in a recent interview I haven't committed to memory. There was even a thread where the new info was discussed and I remember I applauded their decision.

And very much still do.
Ghyaaah! So many conflicting facts! Sources people! State your sources so we can get a clear answer!

I would like if the Ending would be a real ending to the game .... like the last two witcher games .... It makes the story and experience much more awesome and "complete" in my honest opinion.

And especially that this is Geralt's closure story ...

And for the people who would want to do the side-quests ... you can always save before the end :p/>/>/>

(with all due love :p/>/>/> )

FoggyFishburne said:
Ghyaaah! So many conflicting facts! Sources people! State your sources so we can get a clear answer!

Yup. I'm prepared to accept that I could be wrong, but I think we need to see the source.

There you go: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/page__view__findpost__p__1074853

"10. There will be no open end (like in TES series, Fallout). The game will end after epilogue, which will be epic. W3 is a game driven by the plot, situated in the open world, not an open world game with some plot. The plot ends, the game ends."

ReptilePZ said:
There you go: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/page__view__findpost__p__1074853

"10. There will be no open end (like in TES series, Fallout). The game will end after epilogue, which will be epic. W3 is a game driven by the plot, situated in the open world, not an open world game with some plot. The plot ends, the game ends."

OK. I'm wrong :)

Top Bottom