Will this game have an ending?

+
ReptilePZ said:
There you go: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/page__view__findpost__p__1074853

"10. There will be no open end (like in TES series, Fallout). The game will end after epilogue, which will be epic. W3 is a game driven by the plot, situated in the open world, not an open world game with some plot. The plot ends, the game ends."
Somehow that sounds like the ending will be epic by basically just fighting off the boss and reveal the last motives for everything that has happened in the game and maybe some reunion in five minutes after the boss fight. Sure it's epic and interesting. But it's not an epilogue.

Of course I will enjoy the game nonetheless but I would enjoy more if the ending was slow-paced after the last boss fight (or other climax).

CiriusWhite said:
Somehow that sounds like the ending will be epic by basically just fighting off the boss and reveal the last motives for everything that has happened in the game and maybe some reunion in five minutes after the boss fight. Sure it's epic and interesting. But it's not an epilogue.

Of course I will enjoy the game nonetheless but I would enjoy more if the ending was slow-paced after the last boss fight (or other climax).

You got all of that from that one answer? How? I surely didn't.

Kinl3y said:
You got all of that from that one answer? How? I surely didn't.
You're right that I can't be sure what the game will be like. But the sentence "The plot ends, the game ends" sounds like there's no room for slow-paced "normal witcher life slaying monsters and traveling different places"-epilogue because those would be sidequests, not in the main story.
And also judging how TW1 and TW2 ended in the same way like many many others games, books and movies not leaving us a slow-paced ending. So it just doesn't sound they're going to change that.

CiriusWhite said:
You're right that I can't be sure what the game will be like. But the sentence "The plot ends, the game ends" sounds like there's no room for slow-paced "normal witcher life slaying monsters and traveling different places"-epilogue because those would be sidequests, not in the main story.
And also judging how TW1 and TW2 ended in the same way like many many others games, books and movies not leaving us a slow-paced ending. So it just doesn't sound they're going to change that.

The ending in W2 where the protagonist and antagonist just talk for half an hour and then they each leave their own way wasn't slow paced enough for you?

There are going to be many endings (or "ending states") in W3, I think there will be an ending for everyone. What's "epic" for me might not be "epic" for you, and I think CDPR knows that.

ReptilePZ said:
There you go: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34364-interviews-and-articles-on-tw3/page__view__findpost__p__1074853

"10. There will be no open end (like in TES series, Fallout). The game will end after epilogue, which will be epic. W3 is a game driven by the plot, situated in the open world, not an open world game with some plot. The plot ends, the game ends."

ah thank you! missed that among so much stuff. It was a good interview, and well in this context point well made which I absolutely loved :)
And yeah, just save before the ending, that was a no brainer :p

I don't know about you guys but ending to the witcher 1 was one of the greatest i have ever seen in videogames. And according to cdpr, tw3 will be even better storywise. If they can pull off even better closure to the game then i am completely satisfied.

Please stop thinking about TW3 like some sort of Elder Scrolls or action/adventure like Zelda or Asscreed. The fact that TW3 is "open world" is irrelevant, and the series so far are composed of many elements, of which combat is just one and not the most important either.

CDPR is right. The game should end with "the plot" because the plot IS the game. No cohesive narrative and real motivations --> no role playing.

If you want to fool around catching butterflies don't say it's disconnected from the "main" narrative. It's your decision. You don't have to metagame and be a completionist. On the other hand it is likely all activities will somehow tie in with the main plot and all will be relatively important. TW2 barely had any filler quests.

ReptilePZ said:

:eek:

Well fuck me. Thanks for the link bro. Incredible. You've got to respect RED's integrity on this one. I would've liked the game to continue but hey, if the narrative doesn't allow it, then it doesn't allow it. Awesome stuff. I feel it's kind of a spoiler though :p

ReptilePZ said:
OK. I'm wrong :)
Haha ^^

I can hardly believe there are people who are more in the loop all things regarding TW3 than me. I scour the internet for new info like every other day. It seems there's always some dude who's ahead of the curve :p

Volsung said:
Please stop thinking about TW3 like some sort of Elder Scrolls or action/adventure like Zelda or Asscreed. The fact that TW3 is "open world" is irrelevant, and the series so far are composed of many elements, of which combat is just one and not the most important either.

CDPR is right. The game should end with "the plot" because the plot IS the game. No cohesive narrative and real motivations --> no role playing.

If you want to fool around catching butterflies don't say it's disconnected from the "main" narrative. It's your decision. You don't have to metagame and be a completionist. On the other hand it is likely all activities will somehow tie in with the main plot and all will be relatively important. TW2 barely had any filler quests.
Yeah that's most likely gonna be the case.

Though, in that case, I hope that RED will adopt a Dark Souls approach to weapons and armour progression. In TW2, you could get the end game armour but then you could only use it for like 15 minutes. Then the game was over. That's fucking lame as shit. So I was hoping that we could continue playing after the end in TW3, just so I could savour and appreciate the end game armour there.

But, since there won't be any "metagame", I hope that RED will balance the game accordingly. The availability of equipment, outfits, etc should be easy enough to acquire early on AND that they will give us a way to ensure that they stay relevant throughout the game. Preferably through some kind of upgrade system. I wanna look badass god damnit, and I don't want to switch to a "better" armour set if the aesthetics don't appeal to me. Or vice versa and then have the game just abruptly end.

Yes I'm vain, shut up! :p

Agent_Blue

Let's say Geralt dies in the end.
How exactly would one continue playing?

As Casper of Rivia?

Anyway, I don't think every single side quest or activity ties in with the main quest. They've said that some do, and part of the fun is the unpredictability, your inability to assess and foresee the scope of the consequences. Imagine playing a game where you know from the start every single thing no matter how minor will affect the main quest. You'd think thrice before drinking a bloody glass of water, that's what I say.

Additionally, someone started a thread calling for «non plot-related evening talks» in TW3, a suggestion that seems to have gained the favourable opinion of most, as it's perceived to increase immersion. Now, ultimately tying in everything Geralt does to the main plot is the opposite route.

It'd be rather Stalinist.

Depicting the entire game world as operating under one premise, one goal, one story arch would feel quite oppressive. Long novels occasionally feature interludes, for a reason.

Weapon and armor progression is kind of a mess in many cRPG's, but especially action RPG's. What makes one material or construction inherently better?

I think an easy approach compatible with the open concept is NOT making weapons and armor artificially better. Their efficiency could be a function of Geralt's talents and abilities that we choose. Whether we want protection or mobility, i.e. studded leather, hide or a chain shirt, etc. should be affected by the character we build. This way there are no "end game level items", but end game Geralt who is skilled at using one thing of the other. Likewise, getting a legendary weapon early in the game doesn't mean your character can use it properly.

Just saying. Not like we can change anything now.

@Agent Blue,

Many quests could tie in with the main narrative in motivations and context, not necessary affecting it. I think that's how most of them are in both Witchers so far anyway.

Why do you want to keep playing after finishing the game!? This is not assassins creed. If I was able to continue after the end of the story in the W3, I wouldn't. I'd start a new game and try all endings. I think that would be more fun than continuing to play after finishing the story.

Kinl3y said:
The ending in W2 where the protagonist and antagonist just talk for half an hour and then they each leave their own way wasn't slow paced enough for you?

There are going to be many endings (or "ending states") in W3, I think there will be an ending for everyone. What's "epic" for me might not be "epic" for you, and I think CDPR knows that.
That talking or fight was a climax. I would enjoy the post-climax game, which I personally mean by epilogue. In case of TW2 that ending was good, since it's going to have a seguel. But what I would like for the post-climax part in TW3 is some regular witcher life during which you see what has happened to the world. Maybe even a main story continuing after the climax, just in a less intense mood giving you some time to live in the new state of the world, talk to people and look around yourself. At same time you know, that no big force is pressuring or waiting for you, there's no one to pursue or save since all that is settled. And, as I described in the first page, you could then end the game when you feel you've done enough by (for example) returning to Kaer Morhen and after that the game would end for good.

Maybe they could do some non-canonical post ending gameplay like you could see on far cry 3. It wasnt ment to fit with the story just to mess around.

CiriusWhite said:
That talking or fight was a climax. I would enjoy the post-climax game, which I personally mean by epilogue. In case of TW2 that ending was good, since it's going to have a seguel. But what I would like for the post-climax part in TW3 is some regular witcher life during which you see what has happened to the world. Maybe even a main story continuing after the climax, just in a less intense mood giving you some time to live in the new state of the world, talk to people and look around yourself. At same time you know, that no big force is pressuring or waiting for you, there's no one to pursue or save since all that is settled. And, as I described in the first page, you could then end the game when you feel you've done enough by (for example) returning to Kaer Morhen and after that the game would end for good.

Fair enough, I still think it's entirely possible an ending like that could happen in TW3. :) I can even go as far as to say I can expect an ending like that from CDPR.

ReptilePZ said:

*phew* .... Thank the gaming gods ... :p/>

Thanks for the link, Reptile .... man , your links are badass :p

Kinl3y said:
Fair enough, I still think it's entirely possible an ending like that could happen in TW3. :) I can even go as far as to say I can expect an ending like that from CDPR.
Me too, and I'm really hoping for it. At least they've said that the epilogue is playable. :)

Well it is no biggie I suppose, just mess around for 100 hours or more and when you are truly done then you can try the ending.

Top Bottom