Will this game properly support the gamepad?

+
Will this game properly support the gamepad?

In The Witcher 2 the Dice Poker minigame randomly fails in that it intermittently just does not present you with the button prompt to proceed to the next phase of the minigame, rendering the game soft-locked. You can see stuff still animating/hear audio etc. indicating the game hasn't frozen but it won't show the button prompt or let you do anything so you're stuck.

You can't access the pause menu to quit or re-load either so you have to completely quit to the desktop and then open the game again in order to reload and try the minigame again and hope it works this time. (Don't know if this bug afects keyboard users as enabling gamepad support disables the keyboard entirely)

This was reported before the Enhanced Edition patch for The Witcher 2 and so far has not been fixed in The Witcher 2. How can I support a company that won't fix game breaking glitches like this that make it incredibly tedious to unlock certain stuff in the game?

There's also the over bright foliage issue and incredibly ♥♥♥♥ poor LOD with everything being poor quality a few fet from you regardless of how you configure stuff in the game launcher..

The story was fantastic, I will give them credit for that. But I can't help feel like they're becoming like every other major company and not caring at all about the quality of their products. They give out stuff for free sure but what's the point if the core functionality is borked?

For those wondering, computer specs are in my signature.

Last edited:
I've played this game for hundreds of hours, always with the controller, and I've literally not run into this bug you're describing one single time. Which button prompt do you mean?

Of course not!!!

You will be forced to play with mouse and keyboard on PS4 and Xbox One...

:facepalm:

"core functionality broken"

You play dice poker in the witcher on PC "with controller" & name it "core functionality" ...
I never once played dice poker aside quest ... why do I support CDPR ? really wondering =P ..

"CDPR does not care about quality"
come on... I mean this sounds to me like a dice poker outrage that goes beyond dice poker for no reason

there is smth "broken" on your end ... be it your setup or smth else ... you should ask for help not assume things and state those as facts ..

im not sure what you mean with button prompt .. but as far I remember ure pressing left mouse button then move the mouse and then release the button ... ? so you probably have to move one of the sticks for orientation while pressign a button? Ive never seen those "reports" link? Or is this another assumption o_O

Last edited:
Well, once you throw the dice it will show a button prompt to select dice you want to keep or re-roll and it is that prompt, amongst others that will intermittently not appear preventing you from progressing the game forward. When playing minigames it prevents the pause menu from being accessible and the use of a gamepad disables keyboard input so you have no alternative method of progressing the game either, so you must alt-f4 or ctrl-alt-delete and reload the game from the desktop and then your save game and hope the game won't soft lock the next time you try the poker minigame.

@ spacehamsterzh
I understand how you feel, the first time I played the game through from start to finish with version 1.35 I never encountered the issue either however when replaying the game months later I encountered this issue and posted on the forum about it and noticed various other people posting about it as well. Then Enhanced Edition came out and it didn't fix the issue and everyone who suffered the issue sighed with disappointment and repeated/confirmed their/others reports.

@ Medy89
Well Dice Poker is an excellent fast method of earning money to spend at vendors for good gear, it is also necessary to unlock some really good gear in the late game/last set of vendors. "Core functionality" may have been a poor choice of words, I was just trying to stress how important it is as it is something available in each area of the game and is encouraged by the game design (Need money to buy stuff!)

Last edited:
Of course not!!!

You will be forced to play with mouse and keyboard on PS4 and Xbox One...
It's not even what the OP is talking about, but ok.

@franpa The controller acted quite differently on PC compared to Xbox if I recall correctly. Reports I've read said that the xbox controls felt way better. Then again, if you want proper controls on a PC, play with a mouse and keyboard. I don't blame CDPR for not focusing too much on the controller aspect of the PC version.

It's not even what the OP is talking about, but ok.

@franpa The controller acted quite differently on PC compared to Xbox if I recall correctly. Reports I've read said that the xbox controls felt way better. Then again, if you want proper controls on a PC, play with a mouse and keyboard. I don't blame CDPR for not focusing too much on the controller aspect of the PC version.
There is no reason why there shouldn't be exactly the same controller options on PC than on consoles....

This time around, sure. Just saying it wasn't the case with TW2.
Hm, I never played TW2 with a controller but this is kind of sad. They could have updated the PC version after the release of the X360 version with (if that's correct) better gamepad controls....

But yeah, this time it shouldn't be an issue after all because of the simultanous multiplat-release. That's why I posted my quite ironic post in the first place. ;)

Hm, I never played TW2 with a controller but this is kind of sad. They could have updated the PC version after the release of the X360 version with (if that's correct) better gamepad controls....

But yeah, this time it shouldn't be an issue after all because of the simultanous multiplat-release. That's why I posted my quite ironic post in the first place. ;)

In that case I can understand why they didn't. It supposedly costs tens of thousands of dollars to release a patch on PS3/Xbox360 unlike PC where it's basically free.

This also makes me scratch my head whenever I see companies half ass beta tests on the PC version or don't even bother doing any testing at all on the PC version before releasing a patch to consoles. Instead they must, for some arbitrary reason, ensure their patches are always released to each platform simultaneously (To waste money making the console experience worse due to some bug they didn't notice about the patch? Or most likely to prevent PC users from being "treated better").

Last edited:
In that case I can understand why they didn't. It supposedly costs tens of thousands of dollars to release a patch on PS3/Xbox360 unlike PC where it's basically free.

The issue is that they didn't patch the controls on the PC, though. I've played both versions of the game extensively, and it's definitely true that the controls on the 360 were better, indicating to me that they probably took another look at them and decided to improve a few things, like camera lock-on. But they never updated the PC version, which is just a bit odd given how willing they are to patch and update stuff, always for free. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm playing the game on the PC with a controller right now, with the game in its current form and whatever the latest patches are, and dice poker works fine. I still don't know what this issue is you're running into. There isn't a button prompt for everything, but it all works, you don't get stuck.

Any one of these button prompts will intermittently fail to appear, and the game will sit there, waiting until it does appear. because it doesn't appear the game is effectively soft locked. I never said this happens in a consistent manner, sometimes you can play the minigame a ton of times without encountering the issue, other times the issue arises within the first 3 or 5 times you play the minigame. I also did not say it affected everyone, but did say that various people have reported the issue in the past.

The only way to protect yourself against it is to save before and after each Dice Poker Minigame or risk losing all progress since you last saved.

Top Bottom