Will TW3's mod community grow as big as Skyrim's?

+
There are mods that have done exactly that with Skyrim and other games that are moddable. Unofficial patches for example, it all just depends on the amount of mod support we are given.
Thank you, wow this could be great for all of us then, especially if enough talented mods unite as one to save the blessed art of the witcher 3. Fingers Crossed.

I don't think this will grow like Skyrim modding though I really hoped that with ambitious scale of the game. It has so much potential for modding though the modding support they are providing right now is kind of disappointing, there were several instances where they promised a new RedKit. Even @Benzenzimmern mentioned a "Redkit" in one of his replies to me.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30086-The-Witcher-3-Modding?p=1662574&viewfull=1#post1662574

I don't know what happened and why this became a modkit rather than a Redkit ? These tools are more like an official way of importing and exporting game assets instead of hacking in game files so they cannot be compared to a full fledged editor.

I am looking into the kit right now but lets say I want to make a new village or a broken shack with storage chest where Geralt can store his stuff, I don't think I can do that. Additionally I cannot introduce a new monster lets say Bruxa or make a new quest so this is quite limited.

Just to remind REDs that this is a second blow to PC gamers, first the downgrade which Badowski and Iwinski admitted after release.

Iwinski's quote

Marcin Iwinski: "You play it and you are not fine: really, that's touching and we'll do our best to make it up. But if you didn't play it and you're trolling: think twice please."

So that's how you're making it up by providing a cut off modding support ? I pre ordered the game and played it then I pre ordered the expansion pack so I am not trolling here but if you guys keep using the reverse gear on your promises and assurances then I think twice before buying Cyberpunk and I really mean it.

Maybe they are still working on it? Have they said there will be no Redkit?

No they haven't said that however they also didn't confirmed that they are still working on a "RedKit". The last reply from Marcin Momot on that matter says that they aren't planning on releasing anything else at the moment so if they are still working on it then it doesn't hurt to let the fans know.

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/632182348260470784

Yeah you're right after reading the the question of if Redkit would be released he says "This is the mod support for the Wild Hunt. At this moment we are not planning to release anything else" that seems like a no to me. I'm surprised they would promise something like that and not deliver.

They need to release the full editor first in order for anything substantial happen. They did a great job showcasing official support for nexus mods themselves, they need to grow their reach, perhaps Steamworkshop would be the next logical step. And brining these mods to consoles could boost a lot in their favour, more than just the modding community.
But if any of that actually happens, waits to be seen...

After this Redkit debacle, there's no way. CDPR are shooting the longevity of their game right in the temple. I've got 250 hours sunk into one playthrough of TW3 and NG+ will get me another 250, but I can't see doing much more after that.Compare it to nearly 1000 hours played in modded Skyrim.

TW3 is still an amazing game, but it's a big mistake to gimp your modding community. They are your lifeline after official support has petered off. They help to make a game's legacy. Does anyone think Skyrim would be anywhere near the legendary RPG that it is without Creation?

When it comes to big and costly moding toolkit like redkit for witcher 2, first we need to answer ourselves what mods do we need. What mods witcher 3 needs. Mods can be divided to various categories: the most popular graphics mods in order to make the game more beautiful/ realistic/ atmospheric, sometimes to further optimize game, then there are gameplay mods improving combat, various different mechanics of the game like full combat rebalance mod, lastly there are story mods where you can create your own adventures.
With what a little of a modkit we have, correct me if i am wrong but only story mods are truly impossible. You can't add any new content to the game only modify what already exist.
Now what witcher 3 need imho are graphics mods to reverse some damage to the graphics that was made during optimization process. Sharper textures, view distance. Not sure if stuff like improved water tessellation is possible. Other things that tw3 desperately need are UI mods, combat balancing mods, level balancing mos, turning off monster levels, some alchemy remastering that would make it more similar to witcher 1 and that's about it when it comes to my wishlist.

i know everyone is upset, but please "calm yo tits":
http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-mod-support-tools-confirmed-cd-projekt-red-ceo/#ixzz3injySBIi

“Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor,” Iwinski said. “For Witcher 2 we released it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster."
- Marcin Iwinski
now whether this means when exactly the Redkit 2 will be released, is another story, let's just hope they release it before the end of the year.

---------- Updated at 11:33 AM ----------

They need to release the full editor first in order for anything substantial happen. They did a great job showcasing official support for nexus mods themselves, they need to grow their reach, perhaps Steamworkshop would be the next logical step. And brining these mods to consoles could boost a lot in their favour, more than just the modding community.
But if any of that actually happens, waits to be seen...
indeed, but i still think that trying to bring mods into consoles is a disaster waiting to happen. it's way too complicated and may backfire at them, especially considering that they're relatively a small company. heck ! even bethesda might struggle with the whole thing of bringing mods into Fallout 4.

Last edited:
---------- Updated at 11:33 AM ----------

indeed, but i still think that trying to bring mods into consoles is a disaster waiting to happen. it's way too complicated and may backfire at them, especially considering that they're relatively a small company. heck ! even bethesda might struggle with the whole thing of bringing mods into Fallout 4.

Bringing mods to console will work out fine. They'll have known about the challenges of doing this ages ago. It's not an idea that's just appeared in the last few weeks. Things change...they come up with new ways and techniques all the time. If it wasn't doable at all, microsoft would of said a flat out no. Some PC users seem to think that Bethesda,CDPR,Microsoft and sony have no clue about mods. If anyone knows what's capable,it's those guys.

now whether this means when exactly the Redkit 2 will be released, is another story, let's just hope they release it before the end of the year.

That information is 5 months old. Marcin Momot the other day said they have no plans for releasing anything more at this time. This probably means that we will not be seeing Redkit before the end of the year. It's possible we won't be seeing it until after Cyberpunk 2077. Or ever.

I'm under the impression there's too much middleware and it's all so very complicated (remember how rough using tw2's redkit was/is?) and they're busy with Cyberpunk 2077, the expansions for tw3, the support, probably other stuff too... releasing a free editor might be too much trouble right now. It seriously looks like they wanted to for all the reasons that have been mentioned above -- longevity, legacy, perhaps competing with CreationKit etc... -- but it's probable it's fallen through. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it for another two years.

i think they want to release it. I also think they're bogged down and it's really complicated and we probably won't see it for a very long time. Hence Momot's statement being very limited in scope.

Will TW3's mod community grow as big as Skyrim's?

Obviously the answer to this is no if all modders can do is skins & gameplay tweaks. It's fair to say everyone was expecting the ability to design new areas & quests, whenever anyone in the past used the term "modding" in relation to TW3 such capability was assumed. And to be honest skins & tweaks, while a decent tool to do these is welcome, they will never drive a substantial modding scene, I'd go so far to say that such will add next to nothing to the longevity of the game.

For myself I might use or make a tweak to make the game harder and then choose either that or NG+ for my single replay of TW3. At this time there is no reason to think I will play the game any more than that, which is not the TW3 I was expecting.

If we are going to reduce - seemingly for consoles - "modding" to mean only minor adjustments to existing assets then we need a new term to match the limits, and to be honest, CDPRs method of not mentioning this downgrade & their total silence over the weekend - which repeats previous dodgy PR exactly as if nothings been learned - is beginning to grate on my confidence in what they ever say.

Talk to us for fucks sake.

That information is 5 months old. Marcin Momot the other day said they have no plans for releasing anything more at this time. This probably means that we will not be seeing Redkit before the end of the year. It's possible we won't be seeing it until after Cyberpunk 2077. Or ever.

I'm under the impression there's too much middleware and it's all so very complicated (remember how rough using tw2's redkit was/is?) and they're busy with Cyberpunk 2077, the expansions for tw3, the support, probably other stuff too... releasing a free editor might be too much trouble right now. It seriously looks like they wanted to for all the reasons that have been mentioned above -- longevity, legacy, perhaps competing with CreationKit etc... -- but it's probable it's fallen through. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it for another two years.

i think they want to release it. I also think they're bogged down and it's really complicated and we probably won't see it for a very long time. Hence Momot's statement being very limited in scope.
if they haven't done those free DLCs, which are all things we can live without especially that useless game + mode, then maybe the chances of getting the REDkit2 would've better. oh well v_v

I wonder if interest in mods is actually fairly limited.
That is to say, very enthusiastic for those who do mod, but limited in terms of the proportion of players.

Bethesda's Pete Hines said recently (wish I could find the reference, it was in a panel interview)
that 8-10% of players, played their games with mods, so a pretty small proportion really, and something Bethesda wanted to increase with console mods.

I wonder if CDPR is happy to support the concept of mods but the size of the mod community is not large enough to spend a pile of time on it, given that the game is huge anyway?

Think they are shooting themselfs in the foot here, as a robust modding tool would have given skilled people the chance of making great mods for this game, keeping it alive for years. But it's obvious that red is happy with console sale and give the pc players the finger again. Really sad.

8-10% of players, played their games with mods

Are they including console players in that percentage? All the PC gamers i know that play TES play it because its not only a open world rpg but it's the best platform for mods. Its basically a RPG Maker with a pre installed story already in it. I Find it hard to believe that only 10% of PC players play TES with mods.

Are they including console players in that percentage? All the PC gamers i know that play TES play it because its not only a open world rpg but it's the best platform for mods. Its basically a RPG Maker with a pre installed story already in it. I Find it hard to believe that only 10% of PC players play TES with mods.
same, and let's not forget that a few months ago, they tried to cash on mods. so no, i think it's higher than 8%.

Who thinks mod support will eventually rival Skyrim's?

It will not.
There is little mod support compared to Bethesda games. These so called modding tools are a joke. And it's quite understandable.. I mean..
1)who would buy season passes and stuff if we could make all those things we can do for bethesda games lol 2) M$ won't be too happy. After all it's their major sponsor. They even released NG+ on xbox first .

I wonder if interest in mods is actually fairly limited.
That is to say, very enthusiastic for those who do mod, but limited in terms of the proportion of players.

Bethesda's Pete Hines said recently (wish I could find the reference, it was in a panel interview)
that 8-10% of players, played their games with mods, so a pretty small proportion really, and something Bethesda wanted to increase with console mods.

I wonder if CDPR is happy to support the concept of mods but the size of the mod community is not large enough to spend a pile of time on it, given that the game is huge anyway?

If you visit Nexus mods then you'll see that Skyrim alone has 742.68 million mod downloads and that doesn't include the downloads from Steam workshop so the interest in mods is not limited in fact it's still one of the biggest reason why Skyrim is still alive on PC. Bethesda also know this fact and that's the reason why they were trying to commercialize mods with paying options, fortunately the mod community didn't agreed to it and it's for the good.

As for the console mods, there are a lot of theories about them but I don't think it will ever succeed on consoles. I am a regular modder of Ultra Street Fighter 4 and there are some console players who are always interested in taking the mods to their consoles, the conversion process is fairly simple but afterwards they face a whole ton of issues when they try to run them. Sometimes their Xbox start to crawl because the mod has like 24 texture files instead of just 2 - 4 (original Capcom costumes), sometimes they face graphical glitches because the polycount on the model is very high and sometimes the mod crash the game just because it use 4096x4096 textures so a console doesn't offer ample room to experiment with mods, at least that's what I have seen from my modding experience so lets see how Bethesda, Microsoft and CDPR are aiming to bring mods to consoles. Simple mods might just work on new consoles but more ambitious mods I don't think so.

Top Bottom