Will TW3's mod community grow as big as Skyrim's?

+
Will TW3's mod community grow as big as Skyrim's?

Who thinks mod support will eventually rival Skyrim's?

CDPR has honestly shocked me at how fast they released Mod support. Of course, I can't remember how long it took for it to release for TW2... I do know that this is released much faster than Bethesda released their modding utility for Skyrim. Another thing going for TW3 is how many mods have been released prior to Red Tools, what, over 200?

I am hoping to see some truly incredible mods that allow you to play as new characters with new storylines, and new places to explore. The sky is the limit with Red Tools and maybe even I will break into the modding scene, I have some ideas for some cool horse armor!

I believe TW3 will have a solid developer community. It's clear there's a lot of potential here, and I hope and pray the fantastic modding community get behind the tools CDPR pump out. Only time will tell if we're looking at as much success as TES games.

Sadly, I have to agree with the second poster. Until CDPR releases a full-fledged editor like Bethesda, we're probably looking at small additions like new gear and unicorns.

Here's a decent interview with CDPR on Gamespot about what, exactly, they are up to:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-mod-tools-what-can-we-expect/1100-6429426/

First of all, the modding tools we are releasing are not an editor. They’re meant for people who are somewhat experienced with modding software and are designed to make creating mods easier. They give access to game files and allow for easy extracting, compilation, and decompilation of resources. Beside visual changes, like modifying textures and models, they will allow to change UI assets and script files. The majority of gameplay-related mechanics are written in scripts. Having access to these scripts will allow to create even more ambitious and complex modifications. If you’re not a modder and you’re wondering about real life applications, in short, all this means that from now on, people will be able to put their own textures on models to make them feel more personal (or cool, or whatever they wish!), or, say, substitute Roach’s model with a unicorn (and ride it towards the setting sun). You will be able to use these mods when they get published. Also, we hope the community builds on these resources and, who knows, maybe some people who haven’t ever dreamt of modding will start doing so? There might be future devs among you!

Not without a full suite of modding tools, no. Pretty sad to see CDPR move away from this type of PC community support but I'm hoping the mod tools we have are still fairly robust.

IsengrimR

No, because the Mod Tools are very limited. Won't let you add any locations.

All you can do is tweak items, replace textures and play with some scirpts. Not that it is impossible to make some great stuff with that.

Witcher games never had a big modding community, but that would most likely change if CDPR released a full RedKit. WItcher 3 has more moddding potential than any TES game I've played.

Skyrim is one of the best selling games on PC ever. Not because it's a good game, in fact, I would say most elements of it are medicore at best. However, it goes on good sales, and is known for a big modding scene that keeps the game fresh and interesting, and will keep doing so for years to come.

With a proper RedKit CDPR's Witcher 3 would be capable of getting a similar or even bigger scene, as Witcher 3 beats Skyrim in almost every regard ( apart from the exploration thrill and the alchemy system ).

I seriously hope Reds reconsider it.

Which is doubtful, but it's worth to keep pestering them till they give in ;)

I know that's a bit cold, but c'mon Reds, JUST DO IT. I know it's hard work, I understand that. I would even understand that you are sick of Witcher 3. But please, for sake of the older games I love, Witcher 1-2, just do it.

Personally, I'd love to see it come anywhere close to TES mod-ability, but I don't think it will.
Actually, I think it's kind of unfair to compare the two game companies in this regard.

With one, the game as well as the tools allow for some deep customization and injection into that sandbox.... ex: quests just to mention one area of many.
And of course, they have many years under their belt in regards to experience in this area.

Would I love to see the same abilities, damn straight.
Why, .....I adore the Witcher series, starting from the books of course.
It's just such a rich story too me... which is why it kinda annoys me the state of things as they are atm.
But I digress ;)

For me, when I think of the modding community, my whole experience starts from Morrowind and continues all the way along to today's Skyrim.
For me, because I've seen what "CAN" be done, it's hard to even be interested in just some simple texture/mesh replacements seen along the way elsewhere.

BUT, I will also add that (if you follow Nexus), that it is awesome to see modders like Gopher who's been around a long time take an interest and start modding in his quality fashion... ie, the new "Immersive HUD - iHUD by Gopher" he is working on for this game.
There is always hope when I see people like him get into it..... not to mention the many mods created there for this game now to make some much wanted game changes.

Thumbs up to all you modders, you enrich our world(s) ;)92

EDIT:
Guys, on a different note, I need someone to assist me here.
See above, after my last little smiley face, that number 92.
WTF is that and why is it always popping up, different numbers mind you, but I get these happening every time I post here.
And only here on this site does this happen.
As a retired person filling their time with hobbies, I post allot on other sites, and never have seen this.
What is it, a word count or what...lol, driving me nuts lol

Last edited:
Extremely unlikely, even with an editor as good as Bethesda's. As strange as it sounds, the fact that their games are so shallow and mediocre at best, works to advantage with mods...mods can more easily "blend in". For instance, you can easily add a mod race to the game and lose little compared to default ones, since there is almost no reactivity to them anyway. Same is with dialogue, quests , animations, even voice acting...you can see how majority of the top mods easily surpass comparative content in the original game.
I'm hoping Reds will reconsider their decision here...mods offer incredible amount of free promotion for the game, lasting up to several years after the release, that affects the sales even on consoles. Without a doubt, considering popularity of youtube, any investment on the modding tools, is eventually repaid tenfold, for games such as these.

Who thinks mod support will eventually rival Skyrim's?

If all we're going to get is this "modkit", Witcher won't even scrape the surface of what Skyrim's kit is capable of.

CDPR has honestly shocked me at how fast they released Mod support. Of course, I can't remember how long it took for it to release for TW2

I think I'll stop you right here because I believe you're misunderstanding the situation. What CDPR gave us yesterday is an extremely basic modkit that only seems to let us mess around with things like texture and skins.

What CDPR gave us for Witcher 2 was a full on editor, allowing us not only to do that but to also form our own landscapes and areas as well as create side quests. The Witcher 2 editor is tiers above this recently released "modkit" as far as complexity is concerned.

I do know that this is released much faster than Bethesda released their modding utility for Skyrim.

False.

Witcher 3 released on May 19th. The modkit released August 14th. It took roughly 3 months.

Skyrim released November 11th. The modkit released February 7th. It took roughly 3 months.

The kits were released over about the same span of time, except Skyrim's is leagues above Witcher 3's.

I am hoping to see some truly incredible mods that allow you to play as new characters with new storylines, and new places to explore. The sky is the limit with Red Tools and maybe even I will break into the modding scene, I have some ideas for some cool horse armor!

Well, you're going to be disappointed because what we got is a basic mod kit, not the Red Kit that you seem to be describing. CDPR had initially stated that they intended to release the Red Kit for Witcher 3 but they seem to be doubling back on that now for some reason.

The advantage that Bethsada has is that their CK is almost designed with newby modders in mind. I understand that the current version is very limited and is supposed to be more useful/user friendly whenever the final version is released. It is the Modding Community that has given TES games extremely long legs after their initial release.

The advantage that Bethsada has is that their CK is almost designed with newby modders in mind. I understand that the current version is very limited and is supposed to be more useful/user friendly whenever the final version is released. It is the Modding Community that has given TES games extremely long legs after their initial release.

Redkit will come out for TW3 at some point, this is like the early stages of Skyrim modding, when the first mods were coming out, simple tweaks and texture changes, once the full kit comes it'll open up so many more opportunities.

Has potential ~ Especially with how easy the installation of mods is with Wild Hunt.

Redkit will come out for TW3 at some point, this is like the early stages of Skyrim modding, when the first mods were coming out, simple tweaks and texture changes, once the full kit comes it'll open up so many more opportunities.

People already thought that for TW2. But it never happened after REDkit finally arrived (maybe much too late).

Witcher 3 could have a large modding scene. But the devs are not helping matters, they need something now (and some hard to use and very limited mod kit won't do much), not two years after the game releases if they want the scene to take of. They also can't wait for fallout 4 to get mod support behind it. Sadly it really is now or never, and they have chosen never.

I don't think it will even come close, Skyrim is simply, by design a game made for mods. It is far more open than TW3, key being better exploration aspect and more possibilities for roleplay. I have thousands hours invested in Skyrim, played the shit out of it, 150+ mods installed, numerous playthroughs with multiple characters.... Still I prefer The Witcher series, I like to play story driven games and TW3 is in that regard a much much better game, mainly because it focuses on one well developed character. Unfortunately I see that as a limiting factor when it comes to mods, the strongest aspect of TW series is the story, and mods, as good as they can get have little possibilities to improve on that.

Top Bottom