Will TW3's mod community grow as big as Skyrim's?

+
To answer OP's quetion, No it won't. But with a proper editor it could get pretty big. I love gameplay related mods, that really enhance the experience. I can't even start describing how much improved my Skyrim experience mods like SkyRe, with the revamped and detailed skill trees and enemies. Same with something like "better vampires". TW3 could definetely use overhauls like that.

to answer the OP - no.
and one of the main reasons is that TW3 doesnt fit as well to mods. skyrim allowed you to be whomever you wanna be - a male, female, elf, orc, mage, archer, thief, warrior, with a shield, with a dagger, with TWO daggers.... whatever you wish.
it had many weapons that are really different, many different spells, much much more options and much more open ended gameplay. that on itself makes the game more mod-friendly it terms of what options you can add. in TW3 you cant be anything other that a sword wielding witcher - the signs will be the same, you wont be able to carry a two handed weapon using the NPC animations (most likely), you wont have stealth, no archery, no new mechanics.... and without the ability to edit the game world than there are just a lot less to mod in the game... even if we get the right tools.

i wish it will be as good as GTAIV and GTAV are. no official tools but ppl mod a lot of really cool stuff in. great scripted stuff. again - GTA allows a lot more than TW3 does, so the potential is greater.

i really wonder what ppl will make with the modkit.... regardless of if redkit2 every comes out or not.

Nope. Modkit can't even compare to Skyrim's Creation Kit. If CDPR releases Redkit 2, it will be a different story. Too bad only Modkit is released.
Hmm, I was thinking it was Redkit 2 released.... well hopefully they will released that soon enough.

---------- Updated at 03:31 PM ----------

If all we're going to get is this "modkit", Witcher won't even scrape the surface of what Skyrim's kit is capable of.

I think I'll stop you right here because I believe you're misunderstanding the situation. What CDPR gave us yesterday is an extremely basic modkit that only seems to let us mess around with things like texture and skins.

What CDPR gave us for Witcher 2 was a full on editor, allowing us not only to do that but to also form our own landscapes and areas as well as create side quests. The Witcher 2 editor is tiers above this recently released "modkit" as far as complexity is concerned.

False.

Witcher 3 released on May 19th. The modkit released August 14th. It took roughly 3 months.

Skyrim released November 11th. The modkit released February 7th. It took roughly 3 months.

The kits were released over about the same span of time, except Skyrim's is leagues above Witcher 3's.

Well, you're going to be disappointed because what we got is a basic mod kit, not the Red Kit that you seem to be describing. CDPR had initially stated that they intended to release the Red Kit for Witcher 3 but they seem to be doubling back on that now for some reason.

Hmm, you're right. I guess I probably should've researched more before posting. I guess I was so excited that I thought this was Redkit 2 being released, but it seems it is just a holdover till the full on kit is released. If they did it for TW2 I am sure they will do it for this one. Also, I guess my memory is fuzzy, cause I thought it was about a year for the Creation Kit to be released....

---------- Updated at 03:36 PM ----------

It's not a matter of mod support. Skyrim is a sandbox. By its own nature, it has more possibilities from the modding standpoint.
Yes, the redkit will help for sure, but sadly...I don't think it will be bigger as Skyrim is.
But I don't mind, as long as the community have talented modders.

Well to me at least, TW3 is a huge sandbox as well, well two, since there are two separate giant maps that each pretty much rival Skyrim's, but will just a much much better story.

---------- Updated at 03:42 PM ----------

http://www.pcgamer.com/modkit-is-the-only-planned-mod-support-for-the-witcher-3/

Yeah, so I guess here it is for everyone (including me lol) Too bad they changed their minds from earlier this year. It really does seem that CDPR is really letting us PC gamers down, as with such strong sales and the amount of mods already released, it is a crying shame they will not support modders like they did with TW2. Don't get me wrong a true modder could still add new areas and new things, but it would be much more difficult...

Are they including console players in that percentage? ...

Seems likely, else the point wouldn't make much sense, so 8-10% modded is of all game copies (including console copies). That would give Fallout 4 a great potential of having an increased mod base via console mods.

Nope. Nadda. No chance in hell. It seems like CDPR knows the modding scene won't ever be as big as a fraction of the Bethesda games, so no surprise that they reneged on their previous commitment to releasing the REDkit.

They are two complete different games. Skyrim has customizable characters and Witcher 3 has fixed characters. You can't even change who Geralt is or how he looks. Therefore the modding community won't be as huge as Skyrim's.
Plus, Skyrim had ENB. This boosted Skyrim into new directions.

They will need to give us full tools and make them as user friendly as possible, and even then it will take many year for a community to grow.
Also i don't think Skyrim community is accurate it would be more accurate if you called it Bethesda community because it didn't start in Skyrim this is a very old community with older games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and NV that are still going strong.
One last thing Witcher is amazing but it does not give as much raw freedom as Bethesda's games, the world is build differently, for Mods to thrive you need a game that they would really work and make sense with it, that being said some mods would work in Witcher very well of course, just not in Bethesda games scale.
In the end i love both studios and their games, and i am a big fan of the modding world since Morrowind had it's first mods, so let's hope for more awesome stuff in the future.

Maybe one day when they make 'sandbox rpg' , they will rush redkid (whatnot) to keep community busy

People are saying here that W3 doesn't lend itself to be as moddable as Skryim because of the story-telling aspect. While that may be true when you are playing the story, there's nothing* preventing modders from creating a post-story world in which you are free as a witcher, or maybe even a mage.

* if there actually was a proper modkit

People are saying here that W3 doesn't lend itself to be as moddable as Skryim because of the story-telling aspect. While that may be true when you are playing the story, there's nothing* preventing modders from creating a post-story world in which you are free as a witcher, or maybe even a mage.

* if there actually was a proper REDkit2
agreed, and i fixed it for you ;) (you're welcome)

CDPR isn't done yet with The Witcher 3 until 2017. So only time will tell, once the time is up then we'll know that this is it, but until then there is still hope a full fledged modkit will be released.

The Witcher series can be said a flagship franchise so it's very likely The Witcher 3 will get a RedKit2. It will greatly improve sales and prolong the game's lifespan, there is no reason for them not to, unless they're really fed up with The Witcher and let it go.

The Witcher 3 Universe is huge and rich with lore, it'd be a bad move if they don't release a REDKIT2.

Last edited:
CDPR isn't done yet with The Witcher 3 until 2017. So only time will tell, once the time is up then we'll know that this is it, but until then there is still hope a full fledged modkit will be released.

The Witcher series can be said a flagship franchise so it's very likely The Witcher 3 will get a RedKit2. It will greatly improve sales and prolong the game's lifespan, there is no reason for them not to, unless they're really fed up with The Witcher and let it go.

The Witcher 3 Universe is huge and rich with lore, it'd be a bad move if they don't release a REDKIT2.

But it will be too late if they wait - didn't they make the same mistake with the original Redkit coming too long after TW2?

Fallout 4 will be here in a couple of months and that will be the end of TW3 for a lot of the modding community and there'll doubtless be others (GTA V?) to take people's attention. The dedicated Witcher fans/modders will be still here but in answer to the OP's question I can't see it will ever reach the size of Skyrim's community.

As someone on Reddit said- Hype. Witcher 3 was and still is hot. But in 2017 everyone will play the 10 player made expansions for Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 is a hype monster by itself, if it has mods before TW3 it'll shroud it.

CDPR should've released Red Kit when the game was fresh, but if they release it after Fallout 4 they lost the hype train.

Top Bottom