Will Xbone version of TW3 hold the game back?

+
Will Xbone version of TW3 hold the game back?

Even if I put aside the fact that Xbone seems to be DRM-full machine, which kind of goes against everything CDP stands for, there is the question of its inferior (to PS4) hardware - it will have slower memory subsystem, less available memory (rumored 5GB against 7GB in PS4) and slower GPU (1/3 less stream units, 50% less texture units..).

So if there is Xbone version, will it mean that to keep parity among versions, PC and PS4 will be held back?

Or will Xbone version run at lower resolution/framerate/details compared to other version?

Personally, I just wish CDP would tell MS to fuck off and release the game on PC and PS4 only.

Let's hope they do it like they did with TW2, make it an awesome adaptation. Since it simultaneously developed and since the hardware isn't outdated for 7 years, I guess it would be simpler and easier to do then when they did TW2.

Well, like you said you're going off of rumors. I don't think anyone can really answer this till specs are officially confirmed.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
Well, like you said you're going off of rumors. I don't think anyone can really answer this till specs are officially confirmed.

Most of it is actually confired. The only rumored thing is the amount of available memory, but considering Xbone has to run 3 operating systems at once and Kinect at all times, I suspect the rumors about PS4 having 2GB more are not far from the truth.

So if there is Xbone version, will it mean that to keep parity among versions, PC and PS4 will be held back?

Or will Xbone version run at lower resolution/framerate/details compared to other version?

Very likely the last option. Even for PS4 compared to PC.

@ paul: You're not wrong, but I don't think it's fair to expect an answer from CDP at this early stage. I don't think they're going to hold back a game if they can help it, but yeah, the Xbox 1 version will probably need to be adapted for it if needed.

Well, it's not like PS4 will be such a beast of a machine, either. If the game will be held back, it'll be by both of them. And they already stated they're fine with this hardware.

This entire argument that Xbox One will ruin the game and that CDPR should give Microsoft the middle finger is getting quite annoying.

Even if I put aside the fact that Xbone seems to be DRM-full machine, which kind of goes against everything CDP stands for

The TW and TW2 are both on Steam, a DRM-full machine. And TW2 appeared on both the 360 and PC without negative affects towards either system.

Very likely the last option. Even for PS4 compared to PC.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc6BMosDE6M[/media]

Although CDPR have not yet confirmed The Witcher 3 for Xbox One, they said the game will be available on every high end platform available in 2014. You can argue about wheter Xbox One is high end or not, but the majority will likely say: "Yes it is." So, unfortunately, there is no way around a Xbox One version.

It shouldn't be a problem though to scale that version down if the hardware isn't good enough.

paulcz said:

I'm sure that if someone wants to come up with reasons to criticise the Xbox, there are already enough out there. Let's not bring out the torches and pitchforks for new ones.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/06/cdp-on-role-of-combat-sex-and-choice-in-witcher-3/

RPS: I know that, this time around, it sounds like The Witcher will also be launching on various consoles. Is PC still the lead platform for it?

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: We’ve never really thought about the term “lead platform.” For sure, we’ll be creating this game for the PC.

Jakub Rokosz: Our goal is to make sure this game looks the best as it can on every single platform.

Michał Platkow-Gilewski: On everything. We won’t be creating some kind of barrier and dumbing everything down to that level. We’re all working on PCs here. We grew up on PCs. Somewhere in our minds, for part of us at least, the PC will always be the leading platform. But I don’t think we have that kind of approach. Even when we were creating the Xbox version of The Witcher 2, a year after the release of the PC version, we treated that as an adaptation, not as a port. We had to rewrite a lot of stuff, and redesign some things as well.

That's so awesome. I hope this approach is used more in the future to prevent issues like Bethesda's seemingly third rate treatment of the PS3 and the infamous Dark Souls port. It freaking great they're creating platform specific UI's and treating each gaming platform as equals. It be a real shame if XBox one users only received a "dumbed-down" version, a an even greater shame if TW3 didn;t make it to the XBox One because it was "inferior". That's a real kick in the balls, espcially for fan that played TW2 on 360 and plan to play it on the "XBox One" (boy, that is not a very catchy name is it?).

P.S. Has anyone created a universally recognized abbreviation for that cumbersome name "XBox One" yet? X1, One, something...?

If it were another developer I'd worry about this. But to my knowledge, the only things that were consolized in TW2 were the UI and lack of proper mouse support, both of which CDPR said they'd remedy for TW3. Im more concerned about the 'ONE'S' ( cue angels singing) impact on the industry as a whole and how it may affect publisher business methods. Some things are still rumors, but pretty scary ones and we don't need more draconian DRM, forced advertising and exclusivity. I was disappointed that instead of making their next console more open and cunsomer friendly, they're heading in the exact opposite direction.

Uhm....both sport 8 gig of ram and the same CPU cores at the same clocking....that is according to the official statements of course.

I am an Xbox guy, but that bloody 3 OS working at tue same time is starting to really bug me, it is a waste of resources

Of course no one saying that, like the power output, that is not handled on a need-to basis

We will see

Either one, X1 or ps4, are like 6-8 times more powerful then xbox 360 and ps3. May be they are behind high-end PCs of 2013, but given miraculous optimization and resource management developers managed to achieve even on xbox 360 in 2010-2012, I wouldn't worry. TW2 looks and runs amazingly well on xbox 360. I have no doubt that for the next couple of years lack of power wouldn't be a problem for X1.

The only thing i dont like about all this is that CDPRED still refuses to confirm the game for the Xone even after the announcement, wich tells me its very likely that they have signed a special agreement with Microsoft to show the W3 debut in their conference.

I just dont like, i dont want The Witcher 3 to be presented for the first time associated with that piece of shit, even when we all know its also for PS4 and PC.

Like someone very sagely noticed, Xbox One would be better called Steam-box. It is the same system as Steam, and a lot of PC players are quite happy with Steam. Not really fair to rip MS to shreds for their new policy when all they do are taking hints from Valve. We have both TW1 and TW2 on Steam, so CDPR does not have any philosophical differences concerning DRM with Valve. Why should they have it with MS?

Xbox 360 gamers like myself would probably be OK with it under some conditions (not always on-line, and can turn off kinect, for example).

The difference between PS4 and Xbox One is not that great; faster RAM and more shader performance for the PS4. The difference is significant, but what it'll come down to is that either the Xbox One will have to be paired down slightly in comparison to PS4 or its performance will be slightly lower. PC gamers shouldn't have to fear any paired-down visuals, from CDPR that is. (In fact, some nitwit at EA has already said that the next-gen consoles are ahead of current PC's, which is bullshit to everyone who knows what 'hardware' means).

Besides, clamouring for exclusives or excluding games from certain platforms is selfish to the point of stupidity: you won't enjoy the game any more just because Xbox One gamers won't be able to play it, unless you're some weird kind of superconscious sadist.

Oh, and Glaroug, I quite like 'Xbone' myself, simply because X-bone sounds about as stupid as naming a console 'One' when it's actually the third iteration, after one called '360'...

As long as its on your preference of console or PC...

WHY DO YOU CARE?

This it looks like you're just ranting about the new console, not expressing facts.

PLUS look at Devil May Cry DMC- It looked terrible on the PS3 and MUCH better on the XBox 360. Stop ranting about how Xbox doesn't deserve it or what not. It all comes down to money in the end anyway.

Top Bottom