Will you be playing CP2077 with English or Polish dubbing?

+
I know that this thread won't concern everyone, but: Up until now I was sure I would play the game in English because, you know, Night City is in America.
But after watching the Polish version of "The Gig", which is called "Fucha życia" ("The job of a lifetime"), I really liked the Polish voice acting because it had a different flair to it, especially Jackie and the corporate woman (Meredith?).
Even if you don't understand Polish, watch it maybe, to have a comparison:

So, for everyone who speaks Polish: Which language will you choose?
And if you don't speak Polish: Do you feel some difference in tonality or is it just me?

Polish is my native language, however I played Witcher games in English. Mostly because I moderate the international part of the forums and it let me be "on the same page" with our English-speaking users :)

I've learnt and used English for over 30 years now, I use it every day at work, I am also pretty familiar with slang used both in US and UK. However, CP2077 dialogues and the slang used there so far(mixing real life US/Hispanic slang with the one coming from the original PnP game) makes me question my plan to play the game in English :) Polish dubbing in the trailer is actually really good and I might decide to go with it for my first playthrough at least.

I understand your point. I also played "The Witcher 1" in English first but then I tried Polish for my second playthrough and never went back. There are way more jokes and humor, for example in this dialogue between Zoltan and Geralt about "progress" (postęp) and Zoltan comparing it to meat production, using typical polish food.

Compare this elaborate analogy with the English dubbing:

If you've got the time (who has?), do yourself the favor of playing The Witcher Series in Polish : )

I understand your point. I also played "The Witcher 1" in English first but then I tried Polish for my second playthrough and never went back. There are way more jokes and humor, for example in this dialogue between Zoltan and Geralt about "progress" (postęp) and Zoltan comparing it to meat production, using typical polish food.

Compare this elaborate analogy with the English dubbing:

If you've got the time (who has?), do yourself the favor of playing The Witcher Series in Polish : )

Oh, I eventually played TW series in Polish on my 2nd playthroughs :) First ones were always in English though.

I understand playing Witcher in Polish. I didn't think of playing it in Polish the first time and would play it again in this language if only I wasn't so used to geralt's batman voice in english. For CP though, it wouldn't make sense for me to play in Polish considering the game setting.

I agree with what others have said. The Witcher 3 makes perfect sense to be played in Polish, not only because it's based on Polish literature, but because its lore and mythology has heavily Slavic roots. Cyberpunk 2077, on the other hand, is clearly inspired by the likes of more English-speaking influences, like Blade Runner and The Matrix. So, for me, English it is.

Keive

Forum regular
When (I believe it was V) talking, I do like his Polish voice much more. I'll probably play the game in English but if I don't like his voice enough then I might switch to the other.

English is the only language that suits the game's settings. If you can understand English, then I'm not sure why you'd play the game in a different language.

Actually, I have only one argument for that, but it's long, so bear with me, if you'd like :)
CD Projekt RED is from Poland, and there will always be things that will be lost in translation, that move away from the authorial intent of the makers. Yes, there can be something gained in translation, if the people doing the work are heavily invested, like this one guy at CDPR who uses both languages, English and Polish, since he was a child. In this video about the translation work for Wild Hunt, you can see, it's pretty good, what they are doing:

BUT, every language has a special quality and character to itself. And if a creative piece of work is being created in one language, every translation will at worst lose some of this quality or at best transform it creatively, which still means loss of the original characteristics and nuances.

Cyberpunk 2077 is still mainly the vision of a Polish game studio – even if it's a vision of a world by Mike Pondsmith, who speaks English. And even if it's a game that's very artfully made, it's not treated like a piece of art when it is being translated because it is still a product that is going to be sold, that HAS to be sold to be profitable. And the main point of translating a product is that people can follow the plot, get the main points etc. So, inevitably, as long as games are not treated as art (as you would translate a poem by Shakespeare or a movie by Lynch, for example), the original (makers') language will be the one that has the most to say.

^ Yeah, to me Polish will always be the "authentic" language with CDPR games, regardless of where they're set or what the source material is.
And for that reason although I don't understand anywhere near enough Polish to fully follow dialogue or anything complicated I know I do like the Witcher games better with Polish audio. Plus it's educational. :p

(I wouldn't pick Polish audio for a first playthrough due to not understanding too much, but any time after the first.)

Last edited:
i would feel like Janusz playing cp2077 with polish dubbing. Janusz Srebrnoręki... Adam Uderzeniowiec... Jaceczek... T robak... V - Fał... XD
1593351792068.png

Last edited:
I ALWAYS go for the original (of the source material, in case it's an adaptation) or the intended localisation the game was designed around.
Polish for the Witcher series, German for the Gothic series, English for Cyberpunk 2077, Japanese for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Russian for Ice Pick Lodge games, etc.

kurwaaaa!!
sorry, i had to do this))
(what!? whole internet shouts "SUKA, BLYAT", when they're hear russian :p)

imo it depends on voice acting quality. witcher was good for me with all three langs - english (as international), polish (as dev native) and russian (as mine). perfect voices, perfect acting. if it will be as good as witcher, i'm ok to play with any dubbing.

p.s. i'm really interested to hear mr. Reeves in different languages)

I know that this thread won't concern everyone, but: Up until now I was sure I would play the game in English because, you know, Night City is in America.
But after watching the Polish version of "The Gig", which is called "Fucha życia" ("The job of a lifetime"), I really liked the Polish voice acting because it had a different flair to it, especially Jackie and the corporate woman (Meredith?).
Even if you don't understand Polish, watch it maybe, to have a comparison:

So, for everyone who speaks Polish: Which language will you choose?
And if you don't speak Polish: Do you feel some difference in tonality or is it just me?
I might give the Polish VO a shot, but if the lip animations doesn't sync up with the VO, then it's going to drive me crazy. When the lips don't match the words that are being spoken, it completely ruins the experience for me.

Top Bottom