Will you Reinstall for 1.7?

+

Milaal

Forum regular
Odd question I know but hear me out. The last few updates have introduced new bugs that broke quests, caused crashes, or generally made the game unplayable. And the response every time as relates to troubleshooting is “do a clean uninstall/reinstall.” With that in mind, does it just make sense to get ahead of it by doing the clean uninstall/reinstall at the time of the patch being released, rather than waste time identifying the bugs (if there are any) only to be told to do what you could have beforehand? My random thought of the day. Honestly it seems just as well to wait 2 weeks after the patch for the inevitable hotfix.

Guest 3847602

Yes, I did the clean reinstall for every patch and hotfix since the game came out. Never had any problem with the game ever. :howdy:
I was doing the same for TW3 (IIRC, patching the game "normally" would lead to some visual bug for mutagen icons).

It's not necessary to completely reinstall. You can leave the archive files in the game's install folder and delete everything else, along with all the folders in %localappdata% and uninstalling RedLauncher. After that just verify the game and run it.

That's pretty much a clean install without having to download 65gigs from scratch. If anything is wrong with archives, verification will take care of them.

The normal clean install of the game (redownloading it entirely) is mostly recommended to people who mod their games and aren't technically skilled, so it is a lot quicker and simpler to just tell them to nuke their entire game and redownload it, than to try and pinpoint exactly what is causing their issue. Basically instead of searching for a needle in a haystack and wasting time, you just burn down the entire haystack and start fresh.

I personally each update just delete the UserSettings file if they add any new options into the game, since that file does get wonky whenever they add new options into the game and benefits from a freshly generated one, but otherwise game works perfectly fine for me with each update.

I haven't had any issues that would justify me reinstalling my game wholesale. It sucks that others have had issues that have forced them to do so, but unless 1.7 completely borks my game, I'm just going to do what I always do. Install the patch, wait for updates of my main mods, update said mods and hope everything works afterwards.

I’ve stayed away from most pluggin/script extension mods and I’ve not had any issues with the latest updates so no reinstall needed. I’m going to continue this trend till cdpr has completely wrapped up production for 2077. Which I’m assuming is going to be the end of this year or early 2024.

I'll be reinstalling upon the release of Phantom Liberty. I played through the game once on initial release and enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't experienced a single patch yet and continue to hold out for the 'finished product' - so to speak. I'm excited for it! I'm hoping it comes out on July 4th. If it does I am going to do a full play through starting from the beginning, then play Baldur's Gate 3, then play Starfield... and then go back and replay all three of them again assuming they are good and/or Avowed hasn't come out yet. o_O

"WILL YOU REINSTALL FOR 1.7?"

Nope. Unless the game starts to crash, lag, or stutter, but do not expect that at all.

In the rare cases that happened, it was caused by a mod. This last time by a series of mods, and only when they were together. But once removed, the game played fine. This last patch was a staggering third of the freaking base game, so have all fate in the REDS that it can take an expansion half the size just as easy.

I'll be reinstalling upon the release of Phantom Liberty. I played through the game once on initial release and enjoyed it quite a bit. I haven't experienced a single patch yet and continue to hold out for the 'finished product' - so to speak. I'm excited for it! I'm hoping it comes out on July 4th. If it does I am going to do a full play through starting from the beginning, then play Baldur's Gate 3, then play Starfield... and then go back and replay all three of them again assuming they are good and/or Avowed hasn't come out yet. o_O
I envy you. You'd be in for a treat even if you played now. They've added new NPCs with every update since 1.5, even hotfixes or small revisions. Both entirely new models and model variants. It's astounding just how many different NPCs there are in this game.

They seem to be beefing up various faction territories as well, especially in response to your actions in gigs/quests.
inGame_30042023_192729HIGH_RES_EMM_None.png

Let's just say I'm prepared to do a complete reinstall. Patch 1.6 etc. worked well enough for me, but my favorite mods [particularly CET] were not cooperating, even after they were updated.

Maybe

And I am on console
Radiant quest are amazing
New dlc looks good with a lot of new features so might require a whole new playthrough

What I really want to know is can I keep Skippy and finish the quest

I play on PC and PS5. PS5 runs are my "Real Playthroughs" and PC I just mess around with Mods and don't care if I break the game a little, although my new PC is a bit of a beast so I may try a "Real playthrough" on that just cause it's pretty lol.

PS5 I'll just update the game (And download PL). I doubt a reinstall will be needed and I'm assuming you mostly meant for PC anyway.

PC I plan on a clean install, for a few reasons. 1.) The mods will definitely all be broken, this update is now confirmed to change ALL major systems in some way some big some small but everything is "touched" in some way, So I'm assuming every single mod will break in some way. 2.) With all of the changes some systems might be redundant now so who knows what mods I'd even want or need. 3.) Since it's basically another soft reboot a CP2077 2.0 if you will, starting from scratch seems to be a good way to go.

Regardless of platform I'll be starting a New V right from the character creator, no previous saves, so doing a reinstall first seems like no big deal anyway. And if you're using mods on PC will almost definitely be needed just due to how many changes will be coming.

"WILL YOU REINSTALL FOR 1.7?"

Yes. Will delete the entire game folder and its save folder. Am anticipating the REDS will even encourage its costumers to do just that to make sure the game launches on your system without a hitch.

Maybe

And I am on console
Radiant quest are amazing
New dlc looks good with a lot of new features so might require a whole new playthrough

What I really want to know is can I keep Skippy and finish the quest
No you cannot keep Skippy if you turn him in. Also you can tell him you will at the appropriate time and never do. You will have a better experience by doing this. 😂

Odd question I know but hear me out. The last few updates have introduced new bugs that broke quests, caused crashes, or generally made the game unplayable. And the response every time as relates to troubleshooting is “do a clean uninstall/reinstall.” With that in mind, does it just make sense to get ahead of it by doing the clean uninstall/reinstall at the time of the patch being released, rather than waste time identifying the bugs (if there are any) only to be told to do what you could have beforehand? My random thought of the day. Honestly it seems just as well to wait 2 weeks after the patch for the inevitable hotfix.
Absolutely!

I might do a clean install when Phantom Liberty comes out. The last update took about 6 hours to get applied. Today it is again stuck at "Applying patches" for over an hour already, while GOG Galaxy is using 20% of my CPU. It is because I have got many saves or something? It is really quite annoying.

Update -- Patch 1.63 wrecked my setup...took me about 20-30 minutes to delete & download fresh while I ate breakfast.. Surprisingly quick, in fact. Game, saves and most mods back in action by lunchtime...still waiting on a few scripted mods to update. Will _definitely_ do this for Patch 1.7. Seem to be getting it down to a easy routine...

I might do a clean install when Phantom Liberty comes out. The last update took about 6 hours to get applied. Today it is again stuck at "Applying patches" for over an hour already, while GOG Galaxy is using 20% of my CPU. It is because I have got many saves or something? It is really quite annoying.
I’ve personally been suspicious of the number of saves I could have present since early on. My own personal habit became to let the saves total up to maybe 30 before backing them up in a different folder. I also started distrusting the cloud and just turned that off. Interestingly I never had issues with Witcher 3.

I started distrusting the cloud and just turned that off.

I also turned off cloud sync, In order to lower the risk of data corruption.

I always make a backup of the save-files that have been created since the previous update. For each version I have a dedicated folder that also includes the context file.

I have more than 600 save-files in total, mostly manualsaves and quicksaves.

Since I'm probably going to create a new V and start a new play-through anyway, I could also do a clean-install. It wouldn't mean a lot of extra effort. I might even keep the current installation for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom