Windows 10 plays the Witcher 3 beautifully!

+
Windows 10 plays the Witcher 3 beautifully!

If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet, I highly recommend it.. It plays the Witcher 3 beautifully, noticeably smoother and faster than when I had it installed on Windows 8.1. I credit this mostly due to the new driver model (WDDM 2.0) which is much lighter and more efficient than the driver models in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.. So even though the Witcher 3 is DX11, it still benefits from being run on Windows 10.. Just make sure you use the latest WHQL drivers for your GPU, that being 353.62 for NVIdia, and Catalyst 15.7 for AMD..

Now let's hope CDPR migrates their engine to DX12 and give us a patch that implements all of the awesome visual effects that we saw in the demos :D.

Unfortunately not for everyone - display driver crashing constantly :(
Using 353.62 and I´ve also tried a few others with no different outcome -.-

I'm glad to hear that it's working out so well for you, but upgrading an OS is generally a bad idea for gaming.

Games are usually built on an OS architecture 1-2 generations prior to the most recent OS. If you're serious about gaming, I would recommend against upgrading Windows until you hit a problem that requires the new version. I'm still using Windows 7, actually. Everything runs flawlessly.

I was on Windows 8.1 but while playing The Witcher 3 my system froze completely - sometimes after a few hours and sometimes after a few minutes.

So I decided to do the upgrade - freezes are gone now but The Witcher is still crashing - so more or less the same endresult for me except that my system doesn´t completely freeze any longer.

Opened a ticket today as I now have access to the crashlogs which was denied to me before due to the freezes.

I'm glad to hear that it's working out so well for you, but upgrading an OS is generally a bad idea for gaming.

I actually agree with this, which is why I did a clean install. Clean installs mitigate a lot of the issues performance issues and bugs associated with upgrading the OS.

---------- Updated at 03:29 PM ----------

Unfortunately not for everyone - display driver crashing constantly :(
Using 353.62 and I´ve also tried a few others with no different outcome -.-

Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

I´ve upgraded - but I might try a clean install too.

Is it possible to do a clean install with the key of your previous Windows version (in my case Windows 8 ) ?

For me the overall performance is a tiny bit worse than on windows 7. It doesn't really feel much worse. Noticeable only if I keep the FPS display on. One thing that's bugged for me is the anisotropy filtering. It seems to be completely off at all texture quality settings (even with all on ultra). Force enabling it in nvidia control panel seems to fix the issue.

@golani79
Once activated (after upgrade), you can install without any key. It will auto activate anyway... It certainly did for me ;)

Last edited:
After I did a clean install of Windows 10 my driver crashes are gone - seems like I´ll have to settle in for a longer session now to see if it still freezes at some point :D

It also feels a bit smoother than in my previous windows version.

Running W10 (upgrade) with latest GPU drivers. It only crashed once but not since then. Performance wise it runs very well....but take in consideration i have a 980

Last edited:
I have it running on Windows 10. Clean install on everything. 770 353.62. Runs about the same fps-wise. Windowed borderless mode has quite a bit more stutter though.

Yea i dunno what's up with window borderless in W10. A lot of ppl have been complaining about it...and not just this game but in general. Hope they hotfixit.

I'm running Windows 10 as well, not any single game has given me trouble. I'm really happy about this, Windows 10 has so much better menus and things.

Top Bottom