Windows 10 upgrade - save the gamesaves.

+
Windows 10 upgrade - save the gamesaves.

The following advice may apply to many programs on your PC, so be careful when updating/reinstalling your operating system :)

I'm sure that many of you are about to upgrade your PCs to Windows 10 or have already done so.
As Windows 10 introduces a lot of new features, changes in the file structure are likely to occur.
Please, make sure that you back up your gamesave files before you upgrade to Windows 10. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Your gamesave files are stored by default (for Windows 7 & 8.1) in: C:\Users\%username%\Documents\The Witcher 3\gamesaves and this folder's path may be changed in Windows 10, which may result in the game's inability to save your progress. In such a case, a clean installation of the game will be necessary.

If after an update to Windows 10 you cannot save your game, locate game's .exe and run it as an administrator in the first place, though.

If you update your OS via Windows Update app and choose to wipe your personal data from (C:/), your gamesave files will be deleted with no option of recovery. Moreover, if your game is installed on another partition and you perform a clean installation of Windows 10, the game might need to be installed once again, as many of your current registry entries from Windows 7/8.1 will be lost after the update.

If you update your OS via Media Creation Tool, make sure that you use option 'Save my applications and personal data' (this option is available only if language of your OS and language of the installer match), otherwise your gamesave files might also be deleted.

Cheers,
Marcin

Last edited:
I updated to Win 10, and my save games transferred on over with no issues. I updated Witcher 3 from 1.07 to 1.08, and then the save game issue started. I can load my game just fine, but it won't let me save at all. I hit escape, click save game, but I do not get the 'game saved successfully' message. I noticed when I went to manually load a game, it said 1.07 over the image to the right. Did my game update to 1.08 but not my saves??? How do I fix this? Has anyone else been having this problem??

I just got The Witcher 3 last week and I can't even start the game because I can't save at all. I installed the game after I got windows 10 so I doubt it's a windows 10 problem. The latest update might be the issue. I hope it is fixed soon because I want to start playing this game.

Hi Marcin,

I just did my upgrade to windows 10 and I made sure to save my savesfolder before the upgrade. After the upgrade I made a clean install as well and reinstalled everything from the beginning. Now however I cannot load my saves because according to the game "Save data appears to be damaged and cannot be loaded"

I am a pc user and I am using GOG Galaxy. I tried to remove the saves from the folder in hope that Galaxy would restore them but nothing happened. Is the cloud service not working on Galaxy??

Hector

@vennecto Does that mean that I have lost all my progress then? Can something be done with my corrupted saves? I saw that people in PS4 faced a corrupted saves problem as well.

Just managed to recover my old backup folder on the other disk and it works now! Happy again :)

Last edited:
Hiya,

I have had the same problem - installed Windows 10 and now Witcher 3 won't allow me to save at all. No auto-saves, quick save or menu save. REALLY ANNOYING.
I tried verify integrity of the cache on steam install but it hasn't helped. Is it some sort of mapping issue? HELP!

I had no problem with Witcher 3 on Windows 10. I have a problem with this OS itself. Too many negative factors that keep updating day by day.

I'm having the same issue! PLEASE HELP!! IWANNAPLAYSOBAD

---------- Updated at 05:50 AM ----------

Hiya,

I have had the same problem - installed Windows 10 and now Witcher 3 won't allow me to save at all. No auto-saves, quick save or menu save. REALLY ANNOYING.
I tried verify integrity of the cache on steam install but it hasn't helped. Is it some sort of mapping issue? HELP!

Same issue. Please help.

---------- Updated at 05:50 AM ----------

I'm having the same problem. In fact, I can't even delete older save files. Everything is locked. Please help!

Sorry to step in on this thread with a question, but I posted a new thread and it isn't appearing, can someone please advise?

I managed to get the game functioning (sort of) properly again. I ran the game through the .exe file as "administrator" and the game runs perfectly. The only hitch is that my new save files don't sync to Steam. If I want to run the game via Steam's start page, I have to sacrifice my newly formed save files. That being said, if I simply continue to run the game through my .exe file as "administrator," everything seems well.

I don't know what help this offers, or what terrors await me later, but for now I'm back roaming vast lands and selling my sword.

Good luck!

With Windows 10 when I press stamp to make the picture freezes the game.
It happens to you?

Hi. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, no gamesave issue seen. That is ok. Maybe you loose access to Documents\The Witcher 3\ folder of your profile? Try create file in savegame folder.

Hi! Windows 10 upgrade failed and i lost all my saves ? Can someone give me a save file right before going to Skellige with almost sidequests from velen and novigrad done ? !

Hey guys, I had the same issue with TW3 since the Win10 upgrade, what you have to do is to run TW3 as an admin, this will allow the game to save properly. I had the same issue with SOMA and Dark Souls, running the games as an admin always works.
Navigate to the folder in which the game is located, right click the .exe file for the game, under the tab "Compatibility" select the box "Run this program as an administrator", hit apply then OK.
I always double check that this works by starting the game, and in-game I press F5 to quicksave, if this works then it's all good.

This is really unfortunate. I would hope a problem like this would be solved by now... I am not willing to sacrifice not being able to launch the game from Steam, so it looks like I am out of luck. Thankfully I can still return the game. (Yay Steam!) Hopefully these guys figure out how to fix this issue for future potential buyers.

Top Bottom