Windows 10 upgrade - save the gamesaves.

+
This is really unfortunate. I would hope a problem like this would be solved by now... I am not willing to sacrifice not being able to launch the game from Steam, so it looks like I am out of luck. Thankfully I can still return the game. (Yay Steam!) Hopefully these guys figure out how to fix this issue for future potential buyers.

I'm not quite sure what problem you're talking about? If you're asking if the Steam version of the game can be launched through Steam with Windows 10, then yes, it can.

I have problem how to synchronize my game saves between my laptop with win 10 and my PC with win 8.1 . On both computers is GOG Galaxy installed, but after the game itself. Is there any option how to synchronize my save games manually ?

A little clarification here:

This issue is entirely down to Windows permissions, security, and user account privileges. It's not really something that can be "fixed" by any program. Whenever a user changes the way that Windows functions, it may also change the way that Windows tries to find the directory paths to already installed programs. It's a passingly common thing for programs to stop functioning or even appear to have disappeared completely after an OS update or re-installation.

Unfortunately, the only way to "fix" this is to:

1.) Prevent it. (Which is the purpose of the OP. :))

2.) Reinstall the game. (This will create new directories for the game under the new Windows structure.)

3.) Manually configure Windows to recognize the old install path. (This would involve not only bypassing Windows security using command prompts, but also editing both files and Registry entries, and this will be different for different programs. For most players...it's probably safer and easier to simply re-install.)

In general, backing up all important data is a very important and often overlooked step before any OS update / change. There's nothing that can be done through CDPR to fix this. :(

I recently bought the game but have not installed it yet. I currently have a somewhat old PC running on Win 7/64 bit. In the next two months I plan to upgrade my PC's hardware (almost everything new) and move to Win 10 Home (not upgrading from 7, rather new install on fresh drive). By the time this happens, the game will be still on progress. My questions are:

-Should I uninstall the game first from the WIn 7 version before I install it on the Win 10 version?
-Would I be able to extract the save games from one system to the other and play seemlesly?

Javenri;n10325412 said:
I recently bought the game but have not installed it yet. I currently have a somewhat old PC running on Win 7/64 bit. In the next two months I plan to upgrade my PC's hardware (almost everything new) and move to Win 10 Home (not upgrading from 7, rather new install on fresh drive). By the time this happens, the game will be still on progress. My questions are:

-Should I uninstall the game first from the WIn 7 version before I install it on the Win 10 version?
-Would I be able to extract the save games from one system to the other and play seemlesly?

1.) I will always do a wipe of the drive, if using an SSD, or complete reformat of the drive, if using an HDD when installing a new OS. Windows version "upgrades" can create a whole host of issues that usually result in the need to do a fresh install if they occur. So, it's just cleaner to install fresh from the beginning.

2.) The saved games themselves can be found in ...Documents\The Witcher 3\gamesaves... Simply copy the contents of that folder to an external drive or a flash drive. You can put them in the same spot for the new installation of the game, and they'll work fine.

Two caveats: Firstly, if you've used mods, those mods are now part of the save-state of your saved games. Such games may not work correctly on a vanilla install and will require you to install the same mod setup that you were using before. Secondly, different versions of the game can cause similar issues, so be sure you install everything (Free DLC, HoS, B&W...whatever applies) and update completely before trying to load one of the old saves.

Thank you SigilFey for your reply. Step 1 is exactly what I will do (wipe on SSD and then install Win 10 fresh). Next I will follow step 2 as indicated. My only concern was since I make the first install on Win 7 and enter the game code (for verification), if inserting it again (for the Win 10 installation) creates any conflict during verification.

NOTE: I wil (probably) not run any mods, so I guess I will be fine. I got the GOTY verison of the game with all updates and DLC included, so I imagine most things will be included.

Just want to add that wiping the hard drive and installing a fresh Win10 requires that you purchase a full copy of Win10, whereas upgrading from Win7 to Win10 is free. When you install the upgrade version, it must detect the presence of the old OS, so you can't wipe your hard drive. If you want a "clean" installation, then install a clean Win7, and then install Win10 upgrade immediately over it.

Top Bottom