Windows 7 issues and solutions

+
magicratic said:
I've looked, but the closest thing was a vista grey screen crash.I've tried it with any combination of hotfix/no hotfix, Vista/SP1/2, XP/SP/1/2/3, no compatibility, with and without tages.I start it, and it gives be a black screen with a silver gauntlet. It then disappears, and slowly flickers between grey, black, black with no backlight, and sometimes, white.There is no errlog, because it doesn't have a chance to create one before the game crashed my computer.Specs:Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bitThe Witcher EE disc, North America bought, new.All drivers are up to date
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructeddo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder

vempare said:
I had an issue in windows 7x64 not letting me start up a game after install and registration. It was solved by going to http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm and downloading an update to copy protection software Witcher is using. I believe it will solve similar issues in Vista as well.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 on ho to remove TAGES as there is no need for TAGES since patch 1.4 or 1.5

malhante said:
I i've the First Witcher polish Edition, it's instaled but dosen't alowed me to play, I'm the system administrator and using windows 7
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 update to patch 1.5, remove TAGES, retry

i am having the exact same issue i have the enhanced edition. Windows 7 on my computer. I just got the computer i am the administer and the only account on the computer, i double checked everything and restarted my computer same thing. Thanks to anyone if that can help me out was looking forward to playing the game.

loveablelynn said:
i am having the exact same issue i have the enhanced edition. Windows 7 on my computer. I just got the computer i am the administer and the only account on the computer, i double checked everything and restarted my computer same thing. Thanks to anyone if that can help me out was looking forward to playing the game.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 update to patch 1.5, remove TAGES, retry

I installed the steam EE/Directors cut version yesterday and have not been able to start a new game yet. The crash occurs during the very first loading scene of the game after choosing new game->witcher storyline->difficulty->keyboard controls.I am running windows 7 Pro 64bit completely up to date, Am using an admin account and have UAC disabled. I have up to date nvidia drivers and directx.I'm running witcher.exe directly, no launcher. It is version 1.5.0.1304 and I have removed TAGES and rebooted. I've gone through most of the compatibility permutations and several other suggestions: 640x480, visual themes disabled, desktop composition disabled, xpsp2, xpsp3, vista, vistasp1, vistasp2, autosave disabled, windowed etc.I've read the faq, a good deal of this thread and the thread about getting pc wizard dumps and etc.. I did skim a fair bit though so it is possible I missed a crucial detail if it was buried.I've attached a pc wizard dump, the errlog and the data from the windows application event log.If you have any suggestions I'd be interested and grateful to hear them. The only thing that I've heard but have not been able to investigate is the fact that my game is installed on my D drive (where steam is and all of my other games and large applications). I'd have to repartition my primary drive and reinstall/download all the steam stuff to get the witcher on the C drive and I don't think that is even close to worth the effort and I'm skeptical it will fix anything. I'm willing to try just about anything else though. Thanks!

Hi please i have a problem... i played The Witcher on Vista and it was ok, now, when i got windows 7, when i try to start the game its an error that my PC isnt too good for playing Witcher on it ... i have 4 GB ram, 1244 MB intel graphic... my PC is ok so i dont know what to do... i have an enchanted edition... please what should i do... ?

Just wanted to give another tip that worked for me after having the issue with the game randomly crashing and giving a windows error.I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and had the extremly annoying problem with the game crashing all the time sometimes after 30min (when I was lucky), sometimes after a minute.I tried all the solutions I found here, installing and playing as admin, playing in different compability modes, removing TAGES and so on. Nothing worked for me.Then one day I decided to play the game in windowed mode and after that I never got a crash. There is one downside depending on your playstyle and that is that you cant look around by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen, but at least now I can play the game without worrying when I'm going to crash.

Zixxy said:
Just wanted to give another tip that worked for me after having the issue with the game randomly crashing and giving a windows error.I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and had the extremly annoying problem with the game crashing all the time sometimes after 30min (when I was lucky), sometimes after a minute.I tried all the solutions I found here, installing and playing as admin, playing in different compability modes, removing TAGES and so on. Nothing worked for me.Then one day I decided to play the game in windowed mode and after that I never got a crash. There is one downside depending on your playstyle and that is that you cant look around by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen, but at least now I can play the game without worrying when I'm going to crash.
That's very nice of you to give a hint on reducing the crashes. So few people tend to share solutions worked for them in forums or even answer to the solutions that they've been provided if they were useful or not. So, thanks. And welcome to the forum :)

I have bought and owned The Witcher -Enhanced Edition- since it was released. I installed and played it no problems when I was running both Vista and Windows 7 Beta. I am now running Win7 Ultimate and have no passwords or anything on my system since my wife and I are the only two people who use it and we are the administrators of the account. When I installed and tried to launch the game it tells me that I don't have the proper privileges to play the game. How do I get around this?

Dear all, I have a problem with the game "The witcher" and windows 7 (Ultimate 32b).I play normaly the game and after 15-20 min (normally during some save or game load) I have a crash of the game and a messag of windows "the witcher has stop to work properly". After this I have to reset the PC.I have installed tha latest video driver (my wideo cardi is an EN8800 GTS ASUS and the video driver installed version is NVIDIA (197.45).I have updated the game with patch 1.4 EE and 1.5 without solution (but the same problem was with the normal game installed on pc without patches). I have verified the game version (1.4.5.1304).My CPU is a Intel core 2 6600 2.4 Ghz with 4gb of ram.I have try to find some solution on internet but without real solution.In this day i try a lot of the solutions indicated in the linked posts but without results.I try to start the witcher in administrator mode, to disabilitate auto-save, start in compatibility mode windows xp service pack2 but all times after some time the game crash.I attac information required.Only one ting.I have used pc wizzard 2010 and not 2009 version.I hope is enought.Please help me cause is really impossible to play the game like this...Thanks to all.Firefox

You don't have to remove tages you can install and update tages to Window 7 64bit which is I what I did to get the game working.I had a install problem with tages like everyone else but manage to solve it but it's best to keep the tages update for Windows 7 64bit aside for when you need to re-install the game on Windows 7 64bit.I can't remember the tages website but you can google it and download the update.TagesSetup_x64.exe which is the file you need for 64bit.And yeah I still get some crashes out into windows like the witcher has stopped working but other than that the game works fine.I usually get that problem when trying to pick up a item or during fighting in the "swamp" which it mostly crashes.What's the cause of this problem I don't know but running the game again from last save and it's fine again.

one game error each 20 minutes is normal?For my game experience No.I have try a lot of things... really i don't know what to made ..:(

I've had a few problems getting this game working and just thought I'd share my solution, I haven't noticed it in the posts I've read.....after trying everthing I could from other posts, I read the "read me" file that came on the disk and noticed that my geeforce 8600gt shouldn't be running on full video setttings, I set it to the recommended settings( '1024X768' in the video options and 'medium' in the advanced option of the running program) and worked a treat! Didn't realise how outdated my card was. This will probably be useless to most, but hopefully help someone in similar position.I'm surprised that the game doesn't have an auto detect feature?!Just to add, this was after I tried the compatilbility option and video option in the launcher properties.

i am the admin i have 3 admin accounts that i have createdi even went to command prompt and activated the built in computer admin and tried it on that...i tried run as admin on each and tried running it regularlyi just got a new computer so i KNOW i am the adminand its still saying must be admin to run... HELP this is REALLY messed up....i have windows 7 home premium 64-bitceleron processor 900 2.2 ghz

I am having problems with the game crashing randomly, i play 5-30 minutes and it crashes, have tried many of the solutions.using windows 7 32xinstalled game and patches as admin, removed tages.updated directxupdated video card driversused compatibility mode, administrator, 640x480disabled autosaving and even started new game without saving, still crashesdisabled antivirus, all other programs nothing works D:

Ive just run into this problem myself, Error 1275, changed all the admin rights and all and still nothing,windows 7 ultimateI7 930X58A UD3R6 gig c9 ram160 sata 31.5 sata 3850 watt corsair9600 gtx etreme sli got this done by using an older dvd drive.... asus e616 pata 100. works well...the above mentioned sites and info are useless nothing happening there even after patch 1.3 plus 1.5 added..what to do now ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TheDarkling said:
Ive just run into this problem myself, Error 1275, changed all the admin rights and all and still nothing,windows 7 ultimateI7 930X58A UD3R6 gig c9 ram160 sata 31.5 sata 3850 watt corsair9600 gtx etreme sli got this done by using an older dvd drive.... asus e616 pata 100. works well...the above mentioned sites and info are useless nothing happening there even after patch 1.3 plus 1.5 added..what to do now ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Not really sure what your saying but usually 1275 error means the tages driver is not compatible with windows 7you can get the updated tages at http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm?page=minimum.htm just make sure you dload the proper version for your system and then try to update to the 1.5 witcher patch also the witcher doesn`t fare to well with sli so you will need to disable sli

ok part of the post was put in the wrong spot but with the old ASUS E616 ata 100 dvd drive put back in the system W7, game installed and patched very well no need for tages and the SLI works fine no need to disable no known problems as yet ....

Top Bottom