Windows 7 issues and solutions

+
Because I'm bored to read all those pages of this topic, can someone tell me the differences in Win 7 from the XP and Vista ?[moderator]let's keep this on topic; Witcher and Windows 7[/moderator]

why does it keep saying that i must be administrator in order to play the game for the first time?????? i am administrator of my computer but the message is from atari not my computer

bigolenutt01 said:
why does it keep saying that i must be administrator in order to play the game for the first time?????? i am administrator of my computer but the message is from atari not my computer
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 update to patch 1.5, remove TAGES, retry

I have run into the problem mentioned in the FAQ about the error trying the 1.5 patch but none of the suggestions work:QuoteSetupNew\setup.cpp (135)PAPP:pGUID$@Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000A1: The patching process needs about ~4GB of free disk space on the partition the game is installed.A2: Reboot computer into Windows "Safe Mode with Networking" and try to install the patch.A3: The patcher needs at least these.NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 2.0SP1 and 3.0, 64bit users need these also: 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.0A4: The patch files need to be in the same folder and have their original file names as the patcher application checks them and it might crash if the files are not found. See this link: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch and http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.5_patch about the exact file names.I have tried A1 - A3 to no avail. A4 makes no sense since I did not patch UP TO the enhanced edition: It came off DVD. please help I would love this patch and work in computers so i'm really perplexed as to why I can't install it. Thanks

Sorry, I am not allowed to play the Enhanced Edition(bought the whole pack)on my PC under Wndows 7. I am always told that "I am not the administrator" and therefor can not play the game.But I am the administrator and only user of my PC!!!

Guest 2091327

I don't have Windows 7 myself (think it blows hard), but I think it's possible to right-click on the .exe file and choose "run as administrator" or something to that effect. Then you will hopefully be able to run the game.

tommy5761 said:
@ markgossettTry the 1.5 patch from here
IT WORKED THANK YOU!!!!!! now just a curious question wondering if you know the answer. The previous patch I had for 1.5 was 331MB while the one you showed me (the one that worked) is around 372MB. difference of around 30MB. any ideas? thanks again so much

markgossett said:
markgossett said:
@ markgossettTry the 1.5 patch from here
IT WORKED THANK YOU!!!!!! now just a curious question wondering if you know the answer. The previous patch I had for 1.5 was 331MB while the one you showed me (the one that worked) is around 372MB. difference of around 30MB. any ideas? thanks again so much
On checking the faq about Q4 and the MD5 checksum and from your error report which again pointed back to the MD5 checksum i had concluded that for one reason or another you weren`t getting the full 372 meg download .But i`m glad that it worked and that you can now enjoy the witcher to it`s fullest .

I just got in The Witcher Enhanced Edition for my new laptop from DVDs, so it started at version 1.4. I wasn't able to launch it at first until I applied the 1.5 patch. Once I got that on, everything was working great. I played the first area without problem, then went south.Once I got in the first town after breaking from the castle, the game started crashing after no more than 15 minutes of game play. Here's my specs:Starting version- 1.4 (from DVD install)Upgraded- 1.5Hardware- Asus G73JhRAM- 8GProcessor- Intel i7 Q720 (1.6G quad core)Video- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870OS- Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1, Build 7600)DirectX 11Video Driver- 8.683 (latest version)I have UAC disabled, I've tried running compat mode XP SP3, 640x480 screen resolution, running as administrator.

jeewiz said:
I just got in The Witcher Enhanced Edition for my new laptop from DVDs, so it started at version 1.4. I wasn't able to launch it at first until I applied the 1.5 patch. Once I got that on, everything was working great. I played the first area without problem, then went south.Once I got in the first town after breaking from the castle, the game started crashing after no more than 15 minutes of game play. Here's my specs:Starting version- 1.4 (from DVD install)Upgraded- 1.5Hardware- Asus G73JhRAM- 8GProcessor- Intel i7 Q720 (1.6G quad core)Video- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870OS- Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1, Build 7600)DirectX 11Video Driver- 8.683 (latest version)I have UAC disabled, I've tried running compat mode XP SP3, 640x480 screen resolution, running as administrator.
Have you installed the June 2010 Directx update if not you can find it here and the 2010 vc redistributables can be found here and you may want to read: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructeddo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

Tommy,Thanks for the quick response and the links. After installing both the DirectX and the Visual C++ update, the game has played for 2 hours without a single crash!Thank you!

Hello, my first post here. I've read through several threads and haven't found an exact solution for my problem.I picked up The Witcher Enhanced yesterday. Updated to 1.5 and installed the Director's Cut content. First time running the game (As administrator), I got graphical tearing and artifacts, mostly centered on characters.I came to the forum here to search for solutions, and tried several things. Here is my setup, and the steps I have taken;Windows 7 Professional 64-BitAMD Phenom II x4 965ATI Radeon 5850Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4DirectX 11Newest Catalyst DriversAfter finding several possible solutions here, I took the following steps, and had the listed results at each step.Making sure TAGES was uninstalled. No change.Updating DX11 to the June 2010 Libraries. Result = After launching the game, no graphical glitches were present. Alt-tabbed out about 30 mins later, and when I came back in, the glitches were back. Restarting the game did not clear the glitches.Updating Visual C++ Libraries. Result = No change. Graphical glitching everywhere but in the intro movie.Was looking forward to coming back to the Witcher with the Enhanced version and a new rig, but it's pretty close to unplayable at the moment with the glitches all over the screen. Any help is appreciated!

LordVayll said:
Hello, my first post here. I've read through several threads and haven't found an exact solution for my problem.I picked up The Witcher Enhanced yesterday. Updated to 1.5 and installed the Director's Cut content. First time running the game (As administrator), I got graphical tearing and artifacts, mostly centered on characters.I came to the forum here to search for solutions, and tried several things. Here is my setup, and the steps I have taken;Windows 7 Professional 64-BitAMD Phenom II x4 965ATI Radeon 5850Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4DirectX 11Newest Catalyst DriversAfter finding several possible solutions here, I took the following steps, and had the listed results at each step.Making sure TAGES was uninstalled. No change.Updating DX11 to the June 2010 Libraries. Result = After launching the game, no graphical glitches were present. Alt-tabbed out about 30 mins later, and when I came back in, the glitches were back. Restarting the game did not clear the glitches.Updating Visual C++ Libraries. Result = No change. Graphical glitching everywhere but in the intro movie.Was looking forward to coming back to the Witcher with the Enhanced version and a new rig, but it's pretty close to unplayable at the moment with the glitches all over the screen. Any help is appreciated!
Have you tried turning antialiasing off some have reported success with using ati tray tools instead off ccc

Just tried it. First I turned AA off in-game, to no effect. Then I turned it off through Catalyst CC, still nothing.Just for kicks I switched my graphics settings from high, to medium. The glitching cleared up immediately, but came back after another alt-tab. Switching settings again (Rather to Low -or- High) could also bring them back.The feeling I have right now is that it's a crapshoot as to whether -anything- that forces my screen to refresh might bring the picture back with the tearing and artifacting.

just to note that alt-tabbing does not sit well with the witcher . Don`t really know why but can also cause crashing .I have used it but only on a have to basiswhat is your refresh rate on your monitorIt may not make a difference but did you do a clean install or overwrite your video drivers as i recommend a clean install

Top Bottom