Windows 7 issues and solutions

+
I am far behind in this so Licaon, i need your input.... That little system i got runs on Vista, it has Norton which for once, does not seem to be that resource hog it was.You think i should switck to W7 RC and which suite to switch to ??? I am really too much behind lol Thanx

Mobidoy said:
You think i should switck to W7 RC and which suite to switch to ??? I am really too much behind lol
maybe you should test it on another partition or something, i find it pretty good ( fast and stable ), and they fixed a lot of bugs since the RC, maybe you can get a MSDN version of the final RTM release or something

Hardware: Phenom 9650, 4Gb DDR2, HD4870 512MbI've got steam version of the The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut running under the Windows 7 RC (x64). Game crashes in the some certain places and moments. Currently I've found out 2 such places in the I act (and they make further walkthough impossible). The first place is in the beginning of the act I near the inn (game crashes when you're trying approached inn's door). The second one is when you're trying to talk with herbalist near this inn. ATI drivers 9.6 version is installed.Could you please advise will this game support Windows 7 (when it is release)? Or how I can avoid these crashes?

HiI've been trying to get EAX to work in The Witcher Enhanced Edition with little success. I enabled The Witcher in the Creative Alchemy panel. The default settings cause awful reverb so I took the advice from a forum post and turned the duration down - anything lower than 15 seems to work. However the sound quality is awful. It is louder with EAX enabled but the voices in particular are harsh and distorted. I've tried adjusting the buffer between 2 and 10 with no success. I'm using a Creative X-Fi Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer sound card with X-Fi CMSS-3D (surround sound) and X-Fi Crystalliser enabled.Does anyone know how to get EAX to work properly in Windows 7?RegardsMag

Searched the forums and can't find a solution for this. I'm running Windows7. Hardware: Pentium Quad, 6GB ram, ATI 4650 graphics card. When I run Witcher, the launcher comes up. But when I choose to start a new game it tells me that I need to be administrator. When I run as adminitsrator.. it tells me I need to be adminsitrator. I've tried running in compatability mode to VistaSP2, but get the same thing. Looks like a cool game, but not sure what to do.Can anyone help?

kjhngisd said:
I'm running Windows7. Hardware: Pentium Quad, 6GB ram, ATI 4650 graphics card. When I run Witcher, the launcher comes up. But when I choose to start a new game it tells me that I need to be administrator. When I run as adminitsrator.. it tells me I need to be adminsitrator. I've tried running in compatability mode to VistaSP2, but get the same thing.
it's rather compatibility mode Windows XP, and do run witcher.exe directly and not the launcher
kjhngisd said:
I've been trying to get EAX to work in The Witcher Enhanced Edition with little success. I enabled The Witcher in the Creative Alchemy panel. The default settings cause awful reverb so I took the advice from a forum post and turned the duration down - anything lower than 15 seems to work. However the sound quality is awful. It is louder with EAX enabled but the voices in particular are harsh and distorted. I've tried adjusting the buffer between 2 and 10 with no success. I'm using a Creative X-Fi Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer sound card with X-Fi CMSS-3D (surround sound) and X-Fi Crystalliser enabled.
do remember that the EAX settings are not applied on the flyyou need to enable or disable it, accept, quit game, restart game to actually apply
kjhngisd said:
I've got steam version of the The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut running under the Windows 7 RC (x64). Game crashes in the some certain places and moments. Currently I've found out 2 such places in the I act (and they make further walkthough impossible). The first place is in the beginning of the act I near the inn (game crashes when you're trying approached inn's door). The second one is when you're trying to talk with herbalist near this inn.
the latest ATI drivers are 9.9 BTWread: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

Thank you very much, Licaon_KterXP mode doesn't work either -- it just crashes hard. I'm thinking that if the game is this much trouble to set up, it's not worth it. I'll probably end up just selling it on eBay. Thanks anyway.

Keep in mind that when The Witcher was made, Windows 7 didn't exist in a open-beta/public/whatever it is called state.In the manual it specifically states: "Operating system: Windows XP/Vista". No official support for Win7. All this thread and Licaon can give are fan-fixes for making it run on Win7, no actual guarantee. It is your own decision to try to run it on a not supported OS.

really, it's not a big deal. I'm not up for spending more time getting the thing working that I spend playing it. Windows7 is pretty compatible with Vista, and this is the first thing I've found that doesn't work, now that the final release is available. But that's how it goes. thanks for your help. I was hoping for an easy fix, but if not, I'll just go back to Oblivion for a while. :D

kjhngisd said:
really, it's not a big deal. I'm not up for spending more time getting the thing working that I spend playing it. Windows7 is pretty compatible with Vista, and this is the first thing I've found that doesn't work, now that the final release is available. But that's how it goes. thanks for your help. I was hoping for an easy fix, but if not, I'll just go back to Oblivion for a while. :D
Good Lord, be sure to come back, you don't want to miss any of this out. Hope the problem is solved through updates soon... that's how my friend's was... he just kept updating Windows 7 and finally the game started up without a glitch. :peace:

Okay look here. I want a straight answer. A Phenom II x2 and a gtx 260 core 216 896MB card is not enough to run this game smoothly. I know nothing will that you can buy at retailers. What hardware did they use to make this game and what fps were the game designers getting? Cause I'll go buy it. Just tell me already. Tired of looking everywhere for an answer. I don't want to compromise low settings to run this game. Even though it doesn't even help most of the time. I want to know EXACTLY what computer specs HARDWARE was used to make this game and what fps(lowest and average) they were getting when they run it on such hardware on maximum FULL SETTINGS ACROSS THE BOARD with a resolution of 1920x1080 or so. Tell me. Jesus christ.Tell me EXACTLY what I need to benchmark 60 fps MINIMUM across the ENTIRE GAME! THANKS! :)

Hm, I run the witcher on 1920x1200 on highest settings without any lagging, hardly any significant fps drop. That's in XP as well as Windows 7 64 bit. (PH ll 720, 4890, 4gb ram)It might be a driver issue or in the worst case a totally cramped up OS.Anyway, your processor and video card are more than enough to run the witcher and most current games.

Defrag's done and the OS is windows 7 64 bit. I'm about to try how my hardware does in xp 32 bit. Fps drops to 15-25 in chapter 3 in the trade quarter. So you get 60 fps minimum? I read the other guy that has a gtx 295 which is better than a 4890 gets the same fps. My other computer specs are very up to date. There's hardly nothing on my hd other than games and some cookies. Other games are 200 fps and up consistently cause of my great cooling. Temps never go above 55C at load on any component. Drivers are up to date. Here's the thing. It doesn't matter what resolution I set the game at. I get the same fps. The only thing that affects performance is the grass only in grassy areas and the view distance. That's it. Maxed out anything else I get the same fps as lowest settings. And Depth of field helps sometimes. They need a patch for the draw distance. Cause if you set the draw distance to low you can still see characters as if you were in the far setting. If there's no characters in the area or if their not so far away it gives a huge fps boost.

Wow none of the mods know the answer to my statement earlier. This is bs. There's no difference in performance of a phenom II and a amd athlon 64x2. There has to be a driver issue. Unless CPUs haven't come that far at all.

bane0 said:
Wow none of the mods know the answer to my statement earlier.
We have one -- count them, one -- tech volunteer, who's terribly overworked, helping people to get their games up and running. He's just a fan, like the rest of us, and has no way of knowing what equipment CDPR used while they were developing the game. If you want to know what equipment CDPR used, I suggest you write to CDPR. They're probably all busy making The Witcher 2, but at least you'd be asking the right person.

bane0 said:
Wow none of the mods know the answer to my statement earlier. This is bs. There's no difference in performance of a phenom II and a amd athlon 64x2. There has to be a driver issue. Unless CPUs haven't come that far at all.
this game uses only one core, the faster the core the betterwhat Phenom II X2 ? those are not way better than the old Athlon X2s anyway: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=32&p2=97

What in the fludgell? Comment removed!? What did the developers use to make this game? What hardware setup. I want the spec list of that machine. What fps were they getting when they run it? Delete my comment again. !

bane0 said:
What in the fludgell? Comment removed!? What did the developers use to make this game? What hardware setup. I want the spec list of that machine. What fps were they getting when they run it? Delete my comment again. !
Are you sure it wasn't just moved? Look here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21633.msg5341692#msg5341692

Top Bottom