Windows 7 issues and solutions

+
I tried searching the forums for a similar problem, and even tried a few suggestions that were offered for other problems, but so far I have had no luck.Basically, the game crashes at random intervals. Sometimes it takes just a minute, other times I can get away with playing several minutes. I don't think I've played more than 10 minutes without it crashing, though. Sometimes the screen flickers and goes black, but then the game resumes. This happens a few times, but eventually it leads to the program shutting down and Windows trying to find a solution to the problem.I have the Enhanced Edition, downloaded the 1.5 patch and the Directors Cut, and I have successfully installed both. I upgraded all my drivers, too. I did notice that in the Action Center in Windows, it lists the problems as "Windows - Video hardware error" as well as "The Witcher - Stopped Working," which leads me to believe it is a graphical problem.I'm attaching my DxDiag and errlog files in hopes that it will help. I'm really excited to play the game but it's impossible when the game crashes every few minutes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks--Alan

LicaonKter said:
get the ATI 9.12 hotfix too: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspxget the latest DirectX too: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553#tmdo you have other games requiring TAGES ? check here: http://copybase.org/en/database/if you have those other games might reinstall TAGES so maybe that is why you get TAGES errors
I've installed the hotfix for 9.12, i have the latest directX e don't have other games with TAGES.i've tryed also to rienstall Tages for the 64 (the game install a old version not compatible for 7 64) with the same result.Nothing change.Edit:i make a new installation of the game and the patch (not removed the TAGES). The error in errorlog.txt not report the tages but the problem is the sameSend the new errorlog

First, I would like you to check for video card overheating. Go to http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php download and run Speedfan, go in the Exotic tab and click the Show the magic button, now, take note of your GPU temp. Next start the game and as soon as it crash, look again at your GPU temp, post back your results here.

Okay, so my GPU idles at around 61 degrees Celsius. When I ran the game, the screen flickered after about 30 seconds when the temperature reached 69 C. Then, it flickered again a few minutes later when it reached 71 C, and finally it crashed a few minutes later when it reached 71 C again. I did notice immediately after the screen flickered the temperature reading dropped to like 63 C or so and then within ten seconds came back to the higher temperature it was at. Which does suggest (to me) that overheating may be involved. What are your impressions?What confuses me, however, is how I'm able to play tons of other graphics-intensive games without encountering this problem. Are the graphics in The Witcher unique in how they use resources so that my GeForce 9800 GTX+ can't really keep up? Or is this a time-based problem where eventually I'm going to come across this issue. The video card itself is about a year old. But literally the day I installed the Witcher, I just got finished playing Grand Theft Auto IV (which I played for about a week or two) and hadn't encountered any graphical problems. So it's not like the video card was just sitting around collecting dust. Perhaps the stress of running GTA IV eventually led it to this (which I seem to doubt is true).Anyway, I appreciate the help and hopefully the information I gave will give you more insight into finding out what my problem really is. Thanks.

acousticpicker83 said:
Okay, so my GPU idles at around 61 degrees Celsius. When I ran the game, the screen flickered after about 30 seconds when the temperature reached 69 C. Then, it flickered again a few minutes later when it reached 71 C, and finally it crashed a few minutes later when it reached 71 C again. I did notice immediately after the screen flickered the temperature reading dropped to like 63 C or so and then within ten seconds came back to the higher temperature it was at. Which does suggest (to me) that overheating may be involved. What are your impressions?What confuses me, however, is how I'm able to play tons of other graphics-intensive games without encountering this problem. Are the graphics in The Witcher unique in how they use resources so that my GeForce 9800 GTX+ can't really keep up? Or is this a time-based problem where eventually I'm going to come across this issue. The video card itself is about a year old. But literally the day I installed the Witcher, I just got finished playing Grand Theft Auto IV (which I played for about a week or two) and hadn't encountered any graphical problems. So it's not like the video card was just sitting around collecting dust. Perhaps the stress of running GTA IV eventually led it to this (which I seem to doubt is true).Anyway, I appreciate the help and hopefully the information I gave will give you more insight into finding out what my problem really is. Thanks.
71 C is not that high, my Noyebook runs at about that temp end does not die. What differs The Witcher from other games is that it not only demands a lot to GPU, it is demanding on about anything, cpu, memory it even made systems with bad power supply crash when other games were running flawless. Random crashes like the one you are suffering from can be cause by many things but, the errors you are getting points to Video card/Driver issues but, we could be misled.Next logic step in your case would be to follow the proper procedure to remove and re-install the driver, here is the procedure that I give to others and that have worked.Video card removal and installation the RIGHT wayThis step is very important. Lots of problems come from video driver not installed properly. You may think that installing your video driver is simply downloading it and installing it over the old one. Well this is one of the major mistake!! So follow this and you should not have many problems.1. You need to download a couple of things:Video driver (Nvidia, Ati, Third party)Registry cleanerHere are the links:NVIDIAATIIf you own a laptop, display drivers don't get updated or are updated way too late. Good news, you can find a third party driver for your card.Omegahttp://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ http://www.ngohq.com/Oki we are set, lets get to it.Here is a simple and well explained way to do it... Almost automated (Thanks to Mopy for this)The correct method for uninstalling or updating graphics card drivers- Note that not following this method and installing new drivers over the top of existing ones may not fix problems it otherwise would have.a) Download and install Driver Sweeperb) Head into control panel > add remove programs and select your Nvidia or ATI display drivers and remove themc) Restart into safe mode - to get into safe mode keep pressing F8 while your machine is bootingd) Once in safe mode run driver sweeper, and clean using ATI or Nvidia setting depending on what card you have (do not remove nvidia chipset)e) Restart into normal mode once cleaning is finishedf) Install your new drivers and restart after installation completesg) Enjoy your fresh new video card driversAll done cool !!

I tried what you said, and at first it was going really well. I played for longer than I ever was able to before--about an hour and a half. The screen flickered about a dozen times, though. I thought the problem was almost solved, but then finally the game crashed. So it seems like it might have been improved...at least I can play for longer than five minutes. But the screen still flickers and eventually it crashed.Any other ideas?/LE:Well, I've tried a handful of times after the initial good luck. And now it crashes within 5 minutes of playing again. So back to square one...[MOD]Use the MODIFY button[/MOD]

acousticpicker83 said:
I'm attaching my DxDiag and errlog files in hopes that it will help. I'm really excited to play the game but it's impossible when the game crashes every few minutes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
for future reference do read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed get the latest DirectX too: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553#tm BTWnow, read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and remove TAGES, and apply the Vista tips on witcher.exe and disable ingame Autosavereattach the new errlog if it crashes
acousticpicker83 said:
Crash log. Getting PCwizard
i've said ATTACH not PASTE :wall:anyway:*get the ATI 9.12 hotfix too: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx*get the latest DirectX too: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553#tm*read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and remove TAGES, apply the Vista tips on witcher.exe, disable Autosave ingame
acousticpicker83 said:
i have the latest directX
you did install it before manually, right ?
acousticpicker83 said:
e don't have other games with TAGES.i've tryed also to rienstall Tages for the 64 (the game install a old version not compatible for 7 64) with the same result.Nothing change.
the game does not need TAGES anymore so installing TAGES will solve nothing, i hope you cleaned the files as well as instructed, right ?can you NOT use the Windows XP compatibility mode and try like that ?

LicaonKter said:
you did install it before manually, right ?
i've installed from the link and i've reinstalled the game
LicaonKter said:
the game does not need TAGES anymore so installing TAGES will solve nothing, i hope you cleaned the files as well as instructed, right ?
i've disinstalled TAGES with the installer downloaded from the site.After that the file are not in the sistem.I try to delete this manually?
LicaonKter said:
can you NOT use the Windows XP compatibility mode and try like that ?
i've tryed also with not compatibility mode, same result.Thank for the support ;)

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I'm attaching my DxDiag and errlog files in hopes that it will help. I'm really excited to play the game but it's impossible when the game crashes every few minutes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
for future reference do read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed get the latest DirectX too: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553#tm BTWnow, read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and remove TAGES, and apply the Vista tips on witcher.exe and disable ingame Autosavereattach the new errlog if it crashes
I must have been confused with the WItcher Support page, which asked for the DxDiag. Anyway my PC Wizard report is attached (though the box for showing the drivers was grayed out and I couldn't choose that option. Not sure why).I did everything as suggested. Most of it I had already attempted with no success. First I manually installed DirectX from the link you gave. I hadn't installed The Witcher as Administrator, though, so I reinstalled and tried that (also running the 1.5 patch and Director's Cut patch as Administrator). I had removed TAGES before, but I removed it again after the new install. When the game loaded I also disabled Autosave. I was able to play through the entire Prologue without a crash (though the screen did flicker about 8 times throughout). Then today I tried again and after a few minutes in Chapter 1 the screen flickered and then crashed. So I'm also attaching the Error Log for the game. Hope that helps to narrow down the problem.Thanks for the help./LE:Just an interesting note...I loaded The Witcher on my secondary hard drive, which is running Windows XP (it was my primary hard drive until I upgraded to Windows 7 and bought a new one). The point is, the exact same hardware is being used (video card, CPU, sound card, etc). The only difference was that the OS on the primary hard drive is Windows 7 (64-bit) while the OS on the secondary hard drive is Windows XP (32-bit).What I discovered was that I could run the game on XP except that instead of the screen flickering (which is what it did in Windows 7), the game would freeze for a few seconds. This happened as frequently as the screen flickering in Windows 7. Occasionally when the game froze, though, it would resume with distorted graphics or the hue would be off. I just had to alt+tab out and back into the game to fix that, then the graphics were back to normal. Anyway, I played for longer than I have ever attempted before and the game didn't crash. It would freeze, but it the game itself did not crash.Which makes me believe that there is a problem with the game and my system but the OS handles it differently. In XP, the game just freezes for a few seconds and then resumes (with a chance of distorted graphics, which can be fixed by alt+tabbing back and forth). In Windows 7, the screen will flicker and then eventually the game itself will crash.I'd still prefer playing the game in Windows 7, but for now I'll settle with booting up my secondary hard drive just to run the game. I can deal with the screen freezing every now and then as long as the game doesn't crash.I'm not sure what this means in general or if this sheds more light on the situation. Hopefully someone can still take a look at my error log for Windows 7 and see if they can discover anything. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to note and perhaps will help someone else.[MOD]Use the MODIFY button[/MOD]

Hi!I've played with witcher EE 1.4 on win vista x64 sp1-sp2, without problems. But since i use win7 x64 i cant play with witcher 1.4 nor patched to 1.5.The game just not starts, nor the launcher. If i click on these executables the witcher process appear in the task manager for a second, then disappears, without any error messages. The win7 was reinstalled one time after ther first try (hdd fail), but witcher still not works.

sanyigz said:
Hi!I've played with witcher EE 1.4 on win vista x64 sp1-sp2, without problems. But since i use win7 x64 i cant play with witcher 1.4 nor patched to 1.5.The game just not starts, nor the launcher. If i click on these executables the witcher process appear in the task manager for a second, then disappears, without any error messages. The win7 was reinstalled one time after ther first try (hdd fail), but witcher still not works.
Start by looking at this post and see if it helps.

I am running Win7-64 bit and I just loaded the game yesterday. The graphics and the game look fine but I get no cursor so it is impossible to play. Is there a solution for this? :mad:

TheHeckler said:
I am running Win7-64 bit and I just loaded the game yesterday. The graphics and the game look fine but I get no cursor so it is impossible to play. Is there a solution for this?
Here, provide us with what is asked here so we can help you.
TheHeckler said:
I've played with witcher EE 1.4 on win vista x64 sp1-sp2, without problems. But since i use win7 x64 i cant play with witcher 1.4 nor patched to 1.5.The game just not starts, nor the launcher. If i click on these executables the witcher process appear in the task manager for a second, then disappears, without any error messages. The win7 was reinstalled one time after ther first try (hdd fail), but witcher still not works.
Here, provide us with what is asked here so we can help you.

Hi All,I've been looking around for a fix to this but haven't been able to find any answers relating to it, though I've seen a few other people here and there with the same problems, so if I have missed an actual fix, I apologise in advance.The problem is that when the Witcher loads, it works right up until the main menu appears, at which point the mouse cursor is replaced by a large black rectangular box, and what appears to be half a button is present about halfway up the screen on the left that begins somewhere off the screen. The game then promptly crashes to desktop, and doesn't leave any crash logs behind. The "My Documents" folder shows that the Witcher folders have been created, though not populated, both for local and all users.I have the Witcher, original version installed from DVD.I have installed the game to C:\Games\Witcher (to avoid permission issues with Vista / 7 related games). The game was installed under administrator rights via "Run As"I have installed Witcher EE (1.4, with language packs and additional content), also with administrator rights.I have installed the 1.5 patch, also with administrator rights.These files are all known as working as the game has been installed successfully on a WindowsXP build in the past.My machine is an Intel Core2 Duo (Wolfdale)I am running Windows 7 x64 Build 7600, fully up to date.I have 4gig of RamI am using on-board mobo sound - (though I own a CreativeLabs X-Fi, Fatal1ty edition, it's not installed due to other Windows 7 complications in the past - This is a fresh build since removal)I have an nVidia GeForce GTX280 running version 195.62 WHQL drivers, posted 26/11/2009 (Latest non-beta available)Can't get much more simple than that, and I don't have any problems running anything else (ie: Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect, Dawn of War II, Far Cry 2, Torchlight, etc), non-steam or steam related. (Note: This is NOT the Steam version of the game)I have tried reinstalling the game several times, several ways, (and yes, with AntiVirus turned off etc), and have used Revo Uninstaller / CCleaner to clean up registry hives post uninstall each time. I have also tried running the game at multiple points between patches to see if it would change anything, with the only notable exception being that if I try running it BEFORE installing EE 1.4, I get an instant CTD with the game refusing to load whatsoever, repeating the same CTD post 1.5 install. Oh, and the game DOES recognise registration without problems.Can anyone shed some light?Regards,Subv3rse

Vilith00 said:
i've disinstalled TAGES with the installer downloaded from the site.After that the file are not in the sistem.I try to delete this manually?i've tryed also with not compatibility mode, same result.
if they are still there yesreattach the new errlog.txt too
Vilith00 said:
I was able to play through the entire Prologue without a crash (though the screen did flicker about 8 times throughout). Then today I tried again and after a few minutes in Chapter 1 the screen flickered and then crashed. So I'm also attaching the Error Log for the game. Hope that helps to narrow down the problem.
this flickering mught be at the heart of the problem and in the video card it self :(do try to disable and quit Logitech SetPoint and to disable Creative ALchemy too
Vilith00 said:
The problem is that when the Witcher loads, it works right up until the main menu appears, at which point the mouse cursor is replaced by a large black rectangular box, and what appears to be half a button is present about halfway up the screen on the left that begins somewhere off the screen. The game then promptly crashes to desktop, and doesn't leave any crash logs behind. The "My Documents" folder shows that the Witcher folders have been created, though not populated, both for local and all users.
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that FULL PCWizard report as instructed do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folderdid you remove TAGES too? read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and also try the Vista tips on witcher.exeget the latest DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553#tm from August 2009 too

So I presume that having had my post moved here means that whilst it's an obviously known issue there isn't an official fix to it yet?Regards,Subv3rse

Hi to everyone,I have my original copy of the witcher(normal edition) and after the installation when i want to launch the game, i have a message error about sages driver, i need to install them but i cant because i dont have the administrator privilege.Of course im the only user of my pc and im administrator. I have windows 7 OS.Somebody can help me?Thanks and sorry for my bad english!

I have 64 bit Windows 7 and when I try to run The Witcher it tries to install Tages (whatever that is) but I get an "error 1275" and it will not install. I am the administrator and I ok the installation but it won't work. Is there a workaround/patch for this? I bought the Enhanced version and installed the Directors Cut patch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Install the patch, it should remove copy protection from the game. The version of tages copy protection used with the game is not compatible with windows7.

Top Bottom