Windows XP - crashing ( not sound related )

+
I have a dual boot system I prefer to use XP. but a reinstalled it in vista, and it ran just fine. So I copied the vista Witcher files and pasted them over the XP install. Now it runs perfectly in XP. I even installed both of the new adventures, and no issues. So it obviously a detection error somewhere, as to what it relating too I have no idea.Oh and yes I am running a widescreen display Dell 24inch Ultrasharp.

Cryocore said:
I have a dual boot system I prefer to use XP. but a reinstalled it in vista, and it ran just fine. So I copied the vista Witcher files and pasted them over the XP install. Now it runs perfectly in XP. I even installed both of the new adventures, and no issues. So it obviously a detection error somewhere, as to what it relating too I have no idea.Oh and yes I am running a widescreen display Dell 24inch Ultrasharp.
NOW we're getting somewhere. :) Can you post the MD5 for your witcher.exe file? If it's different from ours, it would rock if you could make yours available to us so that we can play too.

TiLT said:
TiLT said:
NOW we're getting somewhere. :) Can you post the MD5 for your witcher.exe file? If it's different from ours, it would rock if you could make yours available to us so that we can play too.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a MD5?

Same prob here...Crash on startup - Tried turning down acceleration for audio, but still crashes, tried audio fix from the EAX-thread, still crashes...'Faulting application witcher.exe, version 1.4.5.1282, faulting module witcher.exe, version 1.4.5.1282, fault address 0x0042432a'AMD Turion64 X2 @ 2200MhzGeforce 8600GS newest driver etc.4 gig RAMon WinXP/64

Sorry to ask about that standard crap, but did everybody get an recent DirectX? ;DNo, I am serious! DirectX has nearly monthly updates, I think the latest is August 2008 or so. Just an idea... ;)

Cryocore said:
Don't worry, it's not ignorance. MD5 is a somewhat advanced computer topic, so I'm not surprised you're not familiar with it. :) Here's what you should do:- Download MD5Deep at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/md5deep/md5deep-3.1.zip- Extract the md5deep.exe file to the folder where your witcher.exe can be found.- Open the command prompt (go to the start menu in windows, choose Run, type "cmd" and hit Enter.- Type "cd c:\program files\the witcher\system" (replace the path with the path where you installed the game) and hit Enter- Type "md5deep witcher.exe" and look at the results. You'll get a string of characters and numbers. Here's my MD5 for witcher.exe for example: 72f63761bed247a62a70e69033b07e13- Post the result here so we can see if there's a difference.Essentially, MD5 is a code generated based on the structure of a file. If even a single byte changes in the file, the MD5 code will be completely different. This is an easy way to see if two files are identical. Meanwhile, I'm downloading a DVD image of the enhanced edition so that I can see if the problem is in the patching process or in the game files themselves. This might take a while, but I'll post my results here when done.

Kamano said:
Sorry to ask about that standard crap, but did everybody get an recent DirectX? ;DNo, I am serious! DirectX has nearly monthly updates, I think the latest is August 2008 or so. Just an idea... ;)
Yes I have, and no, it's not what's causing this problem. If this was the case, we'd get an error message notifying us that we're missing a Direct3D-related DLL-file, not a generic Windows crash. Windows has safeguards in place for things like these.

I have an Asus widescreen running at 1680x1050.OS is XP x64 SP1 (yes I know, the minimum is supposed to be SP2)Tried upgrading from dx9.0c June 2008 to August 2008 but it didn't make a difference.Edit: also tried changing resolution in windows & in witcher registry key to 1280x960 to no avail.

TiLT said:
TiLT said:
Don't worry, it's not ignorance. MD5 is a somewhat advanced computer topic, so I'm not surprised you're not familiar with it. :) Here's what you should do:- Download MD5Deep at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/md5deep/md5deep-3.1.zip- Extract the md5deep.exe file to the folder where your witcher.exe can be found.- Open the command prompt (go to the start menu in windows, choose Run, type "cmd" and hit Enter.- Type "cd c:\program files\the witcher\system" (replace the path with the path where you installed the game) and hit Enter- Type "md5deep witcher.exe" and look at the results. You'll get a string of characters and numbers. Here's my MD5 for witcher.exe for example: 72f63761bed247a62a70e69033b07e13- Post the result here so we can see if there's a difference.Essentially, MD5 is a code generated based on the structure of a file. If even a single byte changes in the file, the MD5 code will be completely different. This is an easy way to see if two files are identical. Meanwhile, I'm downloading a DVD image of the enhanced edition so that I can see if the problem is in the patching process or in the game files themselves. This might take a while, but I'll post my results here when done.
Cheers72f63761bed247a62a70e69033b07e13Looks identical to yours

Cryocore said:
Cheers72f63761bed247a62a70e69033b07e13Looks identical to yours
Well damn, that means the problem is likely in another file, and I don't even know where to begin looking for the faulty file. Something is clearly wrong in the patching process somewhere. I just wish I knew what.

i have your same problemS:the gauntlet cursor turns into a black rectangular box some kind of button thing appears on the left side of the screen during video playbackthe game crashes after the video introBUT I SOLVED IT1. I have the EE file from 4players.de (it should have the same MD5 of yours)2. Uninstall the witcher2. Restart the computer (just to be extremely professional)3. Reinstall The witcher.4. In game deselect the EAX mode.5. Exit and reinstall the EE version (i have the two extra adventures, english and italian language pack selected).6. For now it works fine the only problem is the EAX mode: it cause more crashes if selected..Let me know if it works for you too.8)

jeggred83 said:
i have your same problemS:the gauntlet cursor turns into a black rectangular box some kind of button thing appears on the left side of the screen during video playbackthe game crashes after the video introBUT I SOLVED IT1. I have the EE file from 4players.de (it should have the same MD5 of yours)2. Uninstall the witcher2. Restart the computer (just to be extremely professional)3. Reinstall The witcher.4. In game deselect the EAX mode.5. Exit and reinstall the EE version (i have the two extra adventures, english and italian language pack selected).6. For now it works fine the only problem is the EAX mode: it cause more crashes if selected..Let me know if it works for you too.8)
I appreciate the effort, but please read the thread more thoroughly. What you're describing is NOT the same problem most of us in this thread are experiencing. We don't even get into the game's main screen, and this is completely unrelated to EAX. There are other threads dedicated to that issue.

TiLT said:
TiLT said:
I appreciate the effort, but please read the thread more thoroughly. What you're describing is NOT the same problem most of us in this thread are experiencing. We don't even get into the game's main screen, and this is completely unrelated to EAX. There are other threads dedicated to that issue.
Hang on a moment - can you clarify exactly what problem you're having?Mine is just as jegg described - boxy cursor, button glitch thing, then crash after the intro videos. (with a different offset to yours, but the same as that of some others and still in witcher.exe). I was getting the EAX crash on load until I replaced some of the miles sound system files or lowered the hardware acceleration settings (I think both worked) - now I'm getting the crash after the intro videos.I wonder whether jegg has resolved the problem because (s)he ran the 1.4 patch straight after installing 1.0, without jumping to 1.2 & 1.3?

The problem I (and several others in this thread, judging by the error offsets) am having is that the game crashes before even starting. I get the splash screen in Windows, click Launch Game, and I instantly get the error message.

Oh ok. Guess I got distracted by some mentions of post-intro crashes in the thread. I really need to make a list of the different crash types because from what I've seen and read there don't appear to be all that many.

I've just re-installed The Witcher and downloaded all files again from the polish site (@ about 300kb/s). So it patched from 1.0 > 1.4 and I still can't launch the game. So I think that after almost 2 days of this, I'm gonna quit. I'll probably check back on it in a couple of weeks.Good luck folks!. :-\

See you when your patience returns and/or a fix appears, chip :)PCWizard report attached for completeness. (I'm getting the witcher.exe crash after intro videos, error at offset 003f3df4)

segmentor said:
See you when your patience returns and/or a fix appears, chip :)PCWizard report attached for completeness. (I'm getting the witcher.exe crash after intro videos, error at offset 003f3df4)
update DirectX to August 2008, update nVidia video drivers, BTW there is also a SP2 for Windows 2003 availableread a bit here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5698.0

Top Bottom