Windows XP - crashing ( not sound related )

+
Cryocore said:
I have a dual boot system I prefer to use XP. but a reinstalled it in vista, and it ran just fine. So I copied the vista Witcher files and pasted them over the XP install. Now it runs perfectly in XP. I even installed both of the new adventures, and no issues. So it obviously a detection error somewhere, as to what it relating too I have no idea.Oh and yes I am running a widescreen display Dell 24inch Ultrasharp.
Well I'll be. Dual boot system here too, and I copied the working Vista 64 partition files over top of the XP install, and it runs fine now. Sounds like a problem with the patching itself. Wish I had done a diff on the 2 installs before I did the copy to see what was different.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
See you when your patience returns and/or a fix appears, chip :)PCWizard report attached for completeness. (I'm getting the witcher.exe crash after intro videos, error at offset 003f3df4)
update DirectX to August 2008, update nVidia video drivers, BTW there is also a SP2 for Windows 2003 availableread a bit here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5698.0
I've tried most of those things (though will check I have latest video card & mobo drivers). Strangely I did the update to DX Aug 2008 but PCWizard reports that I have July 2008 installed. I can't remember why I don't have SP2 installed, but there was a reason for it. I might need to look into that again but I'm not worrying too much about it at this point as people with SP2 are having the same error as me.

This problem is still not fixed for me. The 640x480 Launcher fix doesn't help either. Has any new information come to light?

Same error here - adding my frustration to the mix...AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438f

wileycoyote1 said:
Same error here - adding my frustration to the mix...AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438f
As I said in the other thread, your problem is most likely the EAX bug. Those of us who are suffering from an unsolvable bug get "ModName: witcher.exe" instead of "ModName: mss32.dll". My apologies if you've already tried the EAX fixes without success.

In an effort to see if someone with more smarts than me can get this issue resolved I have uploaded some of the game files The core files in the root directory The system files in the system directory (minus the 2 exe files as they seem to be identical to everyone elses)Sorry if this is a violation, but we need to find a fix for those who cant play this brilliant gameLet me know if these fix anythingYes my copy runs perfectly.English (UK version)Win XP (though was installed on Vista) [mod]let's not go there, just post the fix[/mod]

Thank you! I will dig into these files right away and see if they solve the problem. Nope, didn't help for me. Perhaps it will help for someone else though.For the sake of being thorough, these are the files that differ in MD5-checksum between my install and the files that Cryocore uploaded:lang_pack.logpatch.dirThe other files with differences are just temporary files like the crash dump. The culprit files are most likely elsewhere. Edit: The files above are also just temporary files, it seems. No wonder their MD5-sum differs.

I am having the exact same problem. I try to boot the game, and it instantly crashes. My error report is the same as the others:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: witcher.exeModVer: 1.4.5.1282 Offset: 0042432aI am running XP with SP3, no widescreen monitor. I do have the SB X-fi soundcard, but I'm not having the EAX problem. Hopefully, if enough people comment on this thread, the tech modoerators will take notice and actually find a fix. I do not have Windows Vista, so copying the Vista files over to XP will not work for me. Any chance someone could post their Vista files they copied over to XP online, so maybe we could try to see if they fix other people's problems?

t2h3c said:
Any chance someone could post their Vista files they copied over to XP online, so maybe we could try to see if they fix other people's problems?
Cryocore did that for the system files and I compared them with mine and checked if it helped. There were no differences, and the problem remains. This means that finding the culprit file(s) is going to take more than just a few MB of file transfers.Cryocore, would you mind doing a full MD5 dump of your entire Witcher folder with subdirectories? I could look over it and see if I can spot the differences. It's not like I have anything better to do when the game doesn't work. (except I'm going to bed in a few minutes)

So, I'm searching around the forum for other solutions to people's problems, and it seems like we are the only people having this error. Does anyone here know if this problem has come up anywhere else on this forum, or is this problem unique to the few people on this thread?

I'm having the same problem. Same error code and everything. I'm on XP SP3. Standard SB sound card. 8800GT vid card. I've tried everything.

Had to do this too. For Xp sp3 users ( and sp2 I would assume ) The easiest and fastest way to do this is to hit run and type dxdiag. And then under sound option set the slider to no accceleration. Doing that is a good habit simply because when you load another game you can just go back in dxdiag and switch it back to max. AT least I find this to be the best way to do it. That said, I am not a fan of walkarounds, and there is clearly an issue with the game and sound hardware. And not our drivers or hardware ( well it could be for those that have to do this anyway for just about every game they own ) And I hope to see a fix that is under 1 gig and takes less than 2 hours to apply.

Incubuspawn said:
Had to do this too. For Xp sp3 users ( and sp2 I would assume ) The easiest and fastest way to do this is to hit run and type dxdiag. And then under sound option set the slider to no accceleration. Doing that is a good habit simply because when you load another game you can just go back in dxdiag and switch it back to max. AT least I find this to be the best way to do it. That said, I am not a fan of walkarounds, and there is clearly an issue with the game and sound hardware. And not our drivers or hardware ( well it could be for those that have to do this anyway for just about every game they own ) And I hope to see a fix that is under 1 gig and takes less than 2 hours to apply.
PLEASE read the thread! Even the thread title itself points out that this issue is unrelated to the EAX bug (as far as we can tell). For those who are having the error with "ModName: witcher.exe", the sound tweaks are very very unlikely to help.

I get the same error as original poster. Just click launch, then black screen with the error message.Error reads:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: witcher.exeModVer: 1.4.5.1282 Offset: 0018273eTried the sound fixes, no joy. I am using my motherboard's on-board Realtek sound. All system drivers and DirectX are up to date. Don't want to spend time uninstalling the game, then trying to install the patch, in the hopes of it working. I have the EE import on the way. Will just do a clean install with that. And hope... I have windows XP Pro SP3. Gigabyte MB GA-P35C-DS3R. Intel C2D E6600. 2MB Corsair Dominator 8500C5D memory. Visiontek ATI 4870 running Cat 8.8 drivers.

SUCCESS! I downloaded a fully working version of the game and started copying files to see what would make the difference. I've so far traced it to the Data folder, and am now analyzing the MD5 checksums to see exactly which files are problematic. If possible, I will attempt to create a patch for people to use, but don't expect anything until tomorrow.At least I can get the game to run now. :)Edit: The problem appears to be ALL the .bif-files in the Data folder and its subfolders. This is a total of 6.77 GB of data, so it's not as simple as just uploading the problem files. I'll investigate the patch possibibilities, but this might not be as simple as I had originally thought. To clarify: It would seem the patcher bugs out for some people and introduces corruption when it assembles the .bif-files, and it never notices that anything is wrong. Whether or not I can make a patch for this depends on if the .bif-files have only minor problems, or if the entire files are wrong. If the former, a patch shouldn't be a problem. If the latter, then the patch would be 6.77 GB, and that's just not going to happen. Still investigating...

I'm also having this error. Black screen on load up, crash to desktop. No changes to my sound hardware accel will make any difference. Latest DirectX, widescreen monitor, WinXP Pro x64 SP2. Using the US boxed retail version of the EE, and I've never owned the original.

Bad news. The faulty .bif-files are completely empty. They are the correct size, but are filled with nothing but zeroes instead of actual data. This means a patch is pointless, and only copying the working files would fix anything. In other words, I can't help any of you any further than this. If you're a crazy maniac (like I am) and would like to go through the same steps I did to fix the problem, here's what to do:- Uninstall your copy of the Witcher.- Obtain and install a full copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (not the patch. The actual DVDs that were just released in stores)- Backup the Data folder from this installation.- Uninstall the full version.- Reinstall your original version of The Witcher.- Patch it.- Replace the Data folder with the one you backed up from the full version.As you can see, this is probably a bit too long and involved for most people, but at least it works. Hopefully the developers will get a fix out for this patch sooner rather than later, as the problem is clearly in the patching process. I wish I had better news than this, but at least I managed to track down the problem. With some luck, the devs will notice this thread, which will help them fix the bug faster.

Thanks for all of your work. It still sucks that to fix the problem you have to buy the game...again. I guess I'll be patient and HOPE for a patch for the patch.

I am getting the Microsoft general error when launching the game. I got latest updates for Windows and ATI X800 card. I am thinking about reinstalling the game and redownloading the patch. Unless someone has a better idea should I apply each patch or can I go directly to 1.4 after the reinstall?

TiLT said:
- Obtain and install a full copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (not the patch. The actual DVDs that were just released in stores)- Backup the Data folder from this installation.- Uninstall the full version.- Reinstall your original version of The Witcher.- Patch it.- Replace the Data folder with the one you backed up from the full version.
I don't think getting a box copy of the EE will help. That's what I have and it doesn't start. How did you check the files to see that they had nothing in them? I could check mine and confirm whether it's also a problem with the box or if my problem is different from the others.

Top Bottom